Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Vanilla
04-20-2018, 03:19 PM
Details: https://horizonair-pilot.jobs/rotor-transition-program/

snackysmores
04-20-2018, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure if the pilot in that ad photo is excited to be joining the airlines or terrified he's about to fly a Q400 ;)

DashAviator
04-20-2018, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure if the pilot in that ad photo is excited to be joining the airlines or terrified he's about to fly a Q400 ;)

Looks like the last flight out of Saigon...:)

fivebyfive
04-20-2018, 08:36 PM

Why the cynicism? The Q400 is a very intuitive and forgiving aircraft for that entry level fixed wing pilot. Add the seasoned experience of a 1000 hr captain in the left seat and your ready safe go.

DashAviator
04-21-2018, 02:58 AM
Just to keep things interesting, our worthless fleet standards manager just issued a major 113-page revision... on a 17-year old aircraft. Sorry, just had to vent.

Anyway, just wanted to welcome our new rotor-to-Q400 pilots. All of the helicopter guys and gals I’ve worked with have been awesome. Come on over, you’ll enjoy the flying.

hydrostream
04-21-2018, 12:16 PM
Why the cynicism? The Q400 is a very intuitive and forgiving aircraft for that entry level fixed wing pilot. Add the seasoned experience of a 1000 hr captain in the left seat and your ready safe go.

Almost as intuitive and forgiving as a helicopter, eh?

Big Windy
04-21-2018, 01:28 PM
Excited that this finally dropped, however, I am a little disappointed there isn't a "choose your own" option.

fivebyfive
04-21-2018, 10:26 PM
Apparently Sky West has a very similar program for the E175. Is the QX program really limited to the Q400?

snackysmores
04-23-2018, 12:43 PM
Doesn't say anywhere you have to fly the Q

Privateer383
05-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Has the training program/syllabus changed at all to address the minimal FW time of the RW folk?

While compromising standards is not acceptable, will RW pilots with 250 hours FW be held to the same training timeline and # of sim sessions as the 1500 hour FW pilots?

How is the need for additional training addressed?

How much online/self-study training is expected before Training Day 1?

I look forward to your responses!

snackysmores
05-04-2018, 09:02 PM
Has the training program/syllabus changed at all to address the minimal FW time of the RW folk?

While compromising standards is not acceptable, will RW pilots with 250 hours FW be held to the same training timeline and # of sim sessions as the 1500 hour FW pilots?

How is the need for additional training addressed?

How much online/self-study training is expected before Training Day 1?

I look forward to your responses!

You will be treated as any other new hire. The training program/timeline does not change.

You will show up on day 1 to receive an iPad and then you will go home to do your CBT courses. You will get a couple of weeks to finish it I believe.

Vanilla
05-05-2018, 08:25 AM
You will be treated as any other new hire. The training program/timeline does not change.

You will show up on day 1 to receive an iPad and then you will go home to do your CBT courses. You will get a couple of weeks to finish it I believe.

The CBT courses (by Aerosim https://www.l3cts.com/ ) are sent 1-2 weeks prior to your first day to get a headstart. You can log on to the website (the training department sends you login credentials) or if you have an iPad, you can download the app: ETHOS for the Q400 or E175.

But yeah you get your company iPad and badge on day 1 (orientation). By then you could be at least halfway done with your CBTs if not done. It's 30-40 hours of CBTs.

The following week is reviewing indoc/FOM and systems followed by a written test (Systems Validation) which is also your "oral".

Stinger6
05-05-2018, 04:06 PM
The CBT courses (by Aerosim https://www.l3cts.com/ ) are sent 1-2 weeks prior to your first day to get a headstart. You can log on to the website (the training department sends you login credentials) or if you have an iPad, you can download the app: ETHOS for the Q400 or E175.

But yeah you get your company iPad and badge on day 1 (orientation). By then you could be at least halfway done with your CBTs if not done. It's 30-40 hours of CBTs.

The following week is reviewing indoc/FOM and systems followed by a written test (Systems Validation) which is also your "oral".

30-40 hours is the company line. Many/most in my class thought that was a perverse underestimate. Plan double that, and keep pen in hand with Systems Validation study guide open so that you're ahead of the game. With SV looming, it was tough to focus during FMS lab. If you can be DONE DONE with CBT before Day 1, you'll breathe easier and retain more.

Re: RW transition, I'll ask my CH47 buddy to respond. He seems to be doing ok. He also wrecked the A320 in sim, but nobody is holding it against him.

MooneyGuy128
05-05-2018, 07:05 PM
Is the systems validation study guide provided to us when they send out the CBTs? Or if anyone has it, please feel free to share! 😁

Stinger6
05-06-2018, 06:41 AM
Is the systems validation study guide provided to us when they send out the CBTs? Or if anyone has it, please feel free to share! 😁

Provided after hire/before ground school. How FAR in advance depends on the class date you choose (and you will likely have some choice).

Another way to get far ahead of the game: if you do NOT have an ATP, they will send you to a CTP (I went to Orlando; some went to Dallas), which will not prepare you at all for the written. Do what we all did: buy the Sheppard Air prep pack. Finish this entirely as soon as you can, and you can work on systems/CBT while at ATP/CTP instead of sweating the ATPw.

The trend here is to get ahead of the game and stay ahead the game.

MooneyGuy128
05-06-2018, 07:03 AM
Provided after hire/before ground school. How FAR in advance depends on the class date you choose (and you will likely have some choice).

Another way to get far ahead of the game: if you do NOT have an ATP, they will send you to a CTP (I went to Orlando; some went to Dallas), which will not prepare you at all for the written. Do what we all did: buy the Sheppard Air prep pack. Finish this entirely as soon as you can, and you can work on systems/CBT while at ATP/CTP instead of sweating the ATPw.

The trend here is to get ahead of the game and stay ahead the game.
Thanks for the response and advice. I'm about 3 weeks away from my class date in the Q. I purchased Sheppard Air a few weeks back and have been working on that but haven't received the CBT's or system's validation study guide yet, hopefully that shows up soon.

Stinger6
05-06-2018, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the response and advice. I'm about 3 weeks away from my class date in the Q. I purchased Sheppard Air a few weeks back and have been working on that but haven't received the CBT's or system's validation study guide yet, hopefully that shows up soon.

Email somebody (Joe) and inquire. PM me for more info if no response. Ground school sent all our packets to our horizonair emails, which we of course did not know how to check until we arrived on property. Kind of annoying.

Stinger6
05-06-2018, 08:50 AM

Email somebody (Joe) and inquire. PM me for more info if no response. Ground school sent all our packets to our horizonair emails, which we of course did not know how to check until we arrived on property. Kind of annoying.

MooneyGuy128
05-06-2018, 09:20 AM
Awesome - will do. Thank you!

Flightsoffusion
05-11-2018, 01:10 PM
I apologize if this has already been asked/published somewhere, what's the timeline and location for training. Someone mentioned one day intro onsite than back home to finish CBTs. How long in the classroom, sim etc? Thanks in advance..

Zigfly78
05-11-2018, 10:42 PM
Just to keep things interesting, our worthless fleet standards manager just issued a major 113-page revision... on a 17-year old aircraft. Sorry, just had to vent.

Anyway, just wanted to welcome our new rotor-to-Q400 pilots. All of the helicopter guys and gals Ive worked with have been awesome. Come on over, youll enjoy the flying.

Hello DashAviator! Thank you for welcoming us, there are a lot of Army helo pilots like myself making the transition and appreciate the positive energy.

Can you give a little description to what life is like with horizon and the Q400? Types of overnights, captain upgrades, who is hiring Q400 pilots in the majors, all questions a lot of us have as we decide on a regional. My family is in Yakima so being able to relocate close to home is relatively important.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1