Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : ATI QOL and more

V1Rotate
04-21-2018, 08:35 AM
Trying to learn more about ATI didnít find answers in existing threads.

Is the ride to and from work within your work block or outside it? Imputed income?

Do they pay you during training (as opposed to $1600 / month at Atlas).

Can you count on civilian Amazon flying or do you get to go into war zones and get shot at for uncle same as well?

It the relationship between pilots and Managment good? Safe practices and cargo loading? Career destination or stepping stone?

Thanks!

Riverside
04-21-2018, 08:52 AM
Cant polish a turd buddy.

jhugz
04-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Do you want to join a scab operation that just voted in a bar lowering CBA? Are Amazon bag tags more important to you then having self respect? If so, ATI is the place for you. Go for it...

Asci
04-21-2018, 09:47 AM

Is the ride to and from work within your work block or outside it? Imputed income?

Can you count on civilian Amazon flying or do you get to go into war zones and get shot at for uncle same as well?

It the relationship between pilots and Managment good? Safe practices and cargo loading? Career destination or stepping stone?

Thanks!

Travel to and from work is part of your 16 working days. If they end up traveling you outside those days you get 4hr junior assignment pay.

You are paid 1st year pay starting day 1 of training. So just under 60k per year plus per diem while in training. Hotel is paid for by company while in training.

Most flying is domestic DHL or amazon. Some regular military flying goes pretty senior and it isnít into active war zones (at this time).

I donít think the relationship between pilot and management is great or terrible. Management tossed out a lot of carrots in the contract negotiations. I think if they live up to them the relationship will get better. If not it will get worse. Itís a stepping stone imho. If the airline continues to grow that could change but if UPS or FedEx or a legacy calls you better take it. If the growth stops you could be in the right seat for a long time.

V1Rotate
04-21-2018, 12:28 PM
Do you want to join a scab operation that just voted in a bar lowering CBA? Are Amazon bag tags more important to you then having self respect? If so, ATI is the place for you. Go for it...

Kept seeing references to scabs in other threads as well. Can you fill me in on this history or send a link or something?

V1Rotate
04-21-2018, 12:30 PM
Travel to and from work is part of your 16 working days. If they end up traveling you outside those days you get 4hr junior assignment pay.

You are paid 1st year pay starting day 1 of training. So just under 60k per year plus per diem while in training. Hotel is paid for by company while in training.

Most flying is domestic DHL or amazon. Some regular military flying goes pretty senior and it isnít into active war zones (at this time).

I donít think the relationship between pilot and management is great or terrible. Management tossed out a lot of carrots in the contract negotiations. I think if they live up to them the relationship will get better. If not it will get worse. Itís a stepping stone imho. If the airline continues to grow that could change but if UPS or FedEx or a legacy calls you better take it. If the growth stops you could be in the right seat for a long time.

Couple more questions on the commuting topic. Is the deadheading viewed by the IRS as imputed income? Is it possible to deadhead from an international location? Costa Rica for example.

jhugz
04-21-2018, 01:22 PM
Kept seeing references to scabs in other threads as well. Can you fill me in on this history or send a link or something?

See most people would see this, do a double take, and realize that they maybe don't want to railroad their career by going to a place like this. They would then do some research on their own to figure out these important items. So you're either a troll, or naive...

Either way...enjoy those bag tags...

l8fr82hub
04-21-2018, 03:02 PM

Thanks!
Don't expect a serious response without the APC snakes attacking you. PM me and I'll do my best to answer your questions. This life isn't for everyone, so I want you to know exactly what to expect.

dynap09
04-21-2018, 03:13 PM

ABX pilots had a strike with nearly no coordination with others. Was also ruled illegal or blocked by a judge. Some ATI pilots flew during this period based on their union views on strike.

I think issue strike was about (growth was too much with staffing) has been resolved as ABX has basically stopped adding flying so pilots did succeed there. Abx pilot group does have a website someone can share against amazon too. Itís pretty polished.

Lots of griping about amazon and scabs from ABX though as a result.

Pay is lower at ABX and my sense is opportunities lower ? but hard to predict future of course. ABX relationship with mgmt is poor.

Good luck - and you are certain to get some strong ABX views too :)

plift
04-21-2018, 03:50 PM
Legal strike. The judge only stopped the strike because the company agreed in court to stop all the major violations that made the strike legal.

I've never worked at ABX. Between the line crossing and overwhelming yes vote of a pathetic contract in this market, I think most of the industry just views poorly of the ATI pilot groups character.

Reactivity
04-21-2018, 05:37 PM
ABX pilots had a strike with nearly no coordination with others. Was also ruled illegal or blocked by a judge. Some ATI pilots flew during this period based on their union views on strike.

I think issue strike was about (growth was too much with staffing) has been resolved as ABX has basically stopped adding flying so pilots did succeed there.

If you're going to comment, please know what the heck you're talking about. I know that's a lot to ask in this low-SNR forum, but it would be nice if you'd at least try.

The contentious relationship between ABX pilots and management goes way back. It was not helped when ABX management refused to bring back a number of furloughed pilots in the face of rapid growth as a result of the Amazon contract (well, OK, management proposed that they be brought back, but at third or fourth year pay when they were due much more than that), instead waiting until they dropped off of the seniority list with the expiration of their recall rights, and only then trying to hire enough to catch up with proper staffing levels.

In the meantime, there was a lot of junior manning going on. Pilots were making ridiculous amounts of money, but they also weren't living much of a life outside of work. They were due compensatory days off, but were often not able to use them, as they would be immediately junior manned as soon as they scheduled those days, earning them back, scheduling them, and getting junior manned in an endless cycle. Then a memo came down from management changing the way those days could be scheduled in a way that the union considered to be a status quo violation of the contract. That was one of the three issues.

Going along with the junior manning, some pilots were not allowed vacation time. That was the second issue.

The third was the refusal by the company to implement a solution to a day/night transition problem that the union had worked out with the scheduling manager.

Also be aware that the company has in the past insisted that pilots should be forced to bid open flying (even though the contract plainly says that pilots are not required to bid open flying) and bid back vacation days, going so far as to try to get a court order to make them do that, and got smacked down by the court each time they tried.

Now consider that when the strike occurred and the company asked a judge to force the pilots back to work, two of the three items had magically been resolved before they even set foot in the courtroom. The third was resolved a few months later, resulting in some pilots getting some pretty big checks.

Do you think the company knew they were in the wrong? Now tell me the strike was "illegal" and unjustified.

ATI is a sister airline to ABX, one of the subsidiaries of ATSG. During the strike, some ATI pilots walked the picket line with ABX pilots, or made themselves unavailable to fly. Others, upon advice from ALPA that the strike wasn't a strike but rather "informational picketing", continued to fly. That's where the "scab" thing comes from.

As a result of the strike, and effectively as a reward to ATI for crossing the picket line (listen to the ATSG CEO's words in the earnings conference call a few months later) or perhaps as punishment to ABX for having the temerity to have a spine, all remaining aircraft for the Amazon contract went to ATI.

This certainly solved the growth vs. manning problem. Growth stopped immediately, as did hiring. But this was not the goal of ABX pilots. ABX pilots want to see the company grow as much as anyone else, but not at the expense of their lives and financial futures.

No Land 3
04-21-2018, 06:27 PM
If you're going to comment, please know what the heck you're talking about. I know that's a lot to ask in this low-SNR forum, but it would be nice if you'd at least try.

The contentious relationship between ABX pilots and management goes way back. It was not helped when ABX management refused to bring back a number of furloughed pilots in the face of rapid growth as a result of the Amazon contract (well, OK, management proposed that they be brought back, but at third or fourth year pay when they were due much more than that), instead waiting until they dropped off of the seniority list with the expiration of their recall rights, and only then trying to hire enough to catch up with proper staffing levels.

In the meantime, there was a lot of junior manning going on. Pilots were making ridiculous amounts of money, but they also weren't living much of a life outside of work. They were due compensatory days off, but were often not able to use them, as they would be immediately junior manned as soon as they scheduled those days, earning them back, scheduling them, and getting junior manned in an endless cycle. Then a memo came down from management changing the way those days could be scheduled in a way that the union considered to be a status quo violation of the contract. That was one of the three issues.

Going along with the junior manning, some pilots were not allowed vacation time. That was the second issue.

The third was the refusal by the company to implement a solution to a day/night transition problem that the union had worked out with the scheduling manager.

Also be aware that the company has in the past insisted that pilots should be forced to bid open flying (even though the contract plainly says that pilots are not required to bid open flying) and bid back vacation days, going so far as to try to get a court order to make them do that, and got smacked down by the court each time they tried.

Now consider that when the strike occurred and the company asked a judge to force the pilots back to work, two of the three items had magically been resolved before they even set foot in the courtroom. The third was resolved a few months later, resulting in some pilots getting some pretty big checks.

Do you think the company knew they were in the wrong? Now tell me the strike was "illegal" and unjustified.

ATI is a sister airline to ABX, one of the subsidiaries of ATSG. During the strike, some ATI pilots walked the picket line with ABX pilots, or made themselves unavailable to fly. Others, upon advice from ALPA that the strike wasn't a strike but rather "informational picketing", continued to fly. That's where the "scab" thing comes from.

As a result of the strike, and effectively as a reward to ATI for crossing the picket line (listen to the ATSG CEO's words in the earnings conference call a few months later) or perhaps as punishment to ABX for having the temerity to have a spine, all remaining aircraft for the Amazon contract went to ATI.

This certainly solved the growth vs. manning problem. Growth stopped immediately, as did hiring. But this was not the goal of ABX pilots. ABX pilots want to see the company grow as much as anyone else, but not at the expense of their lives and financial futures.

In other words, ATI is the whipsaw instrument for ATSG.

sky jet
04-22-2018, 05:00 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the most concise and well thought out explanation of what brought about the ABX strike I have ever read. New people join these threads every day and as time goes by many of them are unaware of what happened and why. The poster even dispassionately addresses the "scab" issue and why some use that term while not staking out a position on the subject. This ought to be a sticky at the top of every thread that discusses ATI/ABX together.

woog315
04-22-2018, 05:42 AM
Ask about how ATI vacation works, thats my favorite!

Whale Driver
04-22-2018, 05:43 AM
ABX pilots had a strike .................................................. .................................................. ......ATI pilots flew during this period .............................................

.............blah blah blah

Good luck - and you are certain to get some strong ABX views too :)

Crossing a strike picket line = SCABS! It is black and white.

The STRONG views are not just from the ABX pilots, it is from every hard core Union airline.

motorclutch
04-22-2018, 06:05 AM
..........all hardcore unions except ALPA!

Industry Strnd
04-22-2018, 09:40 AM
There are much better places to work than all the baggage that comes with ATI.

jhugz
04-22-2018, 03:30 PM

You're missing the bigger picture...Amazon...Bag...Tags...bro...

Almost There
04-23-2018, 10:23 AM

McDonald's would be one.

And you can tell everyone... "I'm Lovin It!"

C7fr8dog
04-24-2018, 03:44 AM

Iíd also like to point out that ALPA National also recongnized the strike as legal. It was representation at a lower level that claimed it was an illegal strike. We all know it was legal and could have been easily avoided but like all strikes it was managements decision on how to treat its employees that caused it.

midnightshuttle
04-24-2018, 11:31 AM
Trying to learn more about ATI didn’t find answers in existing threads.

Thanks!

1) For sure it is my friend, they even added and extra day of work in the new contract for it.

2) Yeppers and dont spend it all them same place

3) OMG some legacy guy is gonna chime in here!! "yeah we did this for love of god and country my son" No money will deflect bullets or make it less dangerous.

NO NO NO NO that was legacy only not the new PETA friendly ATI

4) Captains take cell phone videos of walk arounds and note the log page wright ups with pictures. WHATS THAT TELL YOU!!!!

Stepping Stone! Only one went to purple and he was here for the type. Few capts waiting on Brown classes, one Delta. FO's looking now, one just went back to the regionals as a street captain.

Dare you complain about the contract and you will be busted out of your job and back to line pilot.

You may just get line checked NUMEROUS times

No Land 3
04-24-2018, 06:28 PM
1) For sure it is my friend, they even added and extra day of work in the new contract for it.

2) Yeppers and dont spend it all them same place

3) OMG some legacy guy is gonna chime in here!! "yeah we did this for love of god and country my son" No money will deflect bullets or make it less dangerous.

NO NO NO NO that was legacy only not the new PETA friendly ATI

4) Captains take cell phone videos of walk arounds and note the log page wright ups with pictures. WHATS THAT TELL YOU!!!!

Stepping Stone! Only one went to purple and he was here for the type. Few capts waiting on Brown classes, one Delta. FO's looking now, one just went back to the regionals as a street captain.

Dare you complain about the contract and you will be busted out of your job and back to line pilot.

You may just get line checked NUMEROUS times

The beatings will continue until morale improves?
Iíd suggest applying to K4, but only if you donít suffer from Stockholm Syndrome.

Whale Driver
04-25-2018, 04:41 PM
..........all hardcore unions except ALPA!

NO! ALPA National NEVER said cross the picket line. It was their weak ass self serving ALPA MEC that wanted to get more flying from their "Bag Tag Idols".

motorclutch
04-25-2018, 05:08 PM
Iíll agree to that

BlueSkies88
04-25-2018, 05:20 PM
NO! ALPA National NEVER said cross the picket line. It was their weak ass self serving ALPA MEC that wanted to get more flying from their "Bag Tag Idols".

DID ANYONE SAID ďbag tagsĒ be careful ATI pilots will be all over them like a bad case of herpes!!!

No Land 3
04-25-2018, 05:47 PM

So... Have the pilots who crossed the picket line been added to the scab list? They should be.

qiutong
04-26-2018, 04:02 AM
So... Have the pilots who crossed the picket line been added to the scab list? They should be.

...and they should be ostracized by all other ATI crews....but theyíre not!!

No Land 3
04-26-2018, 05:09 AM
...and they should be ostracized by all other ATI crews....but theyíre not!!

They will probably find their way into management.

WingOffLight
04-26-2018, 03:44 PM
ATI is the best thing that happened to a bagel and Dark French Roast.

This morning received word they took off with the gears pins and had to return after figuring out the fuel burn was insufficient to continue. Then another flew across the country with a jammed flight control.

Buy sat phones rather than clogging up air inc :D

motorclutch
04-26-2018, 06:29 PM
On top of pending fines and penalties from the FAA for other issues.....this looks really bad. Hell of good job JV!

Industry Strnd
05-01-2018, 10:58 AM
How many years is the new industry low ACMI contract just signed? Spirit, OMNI, Kalitta and many more much did much better but caving was the best option for ALPA. Nothing to see here move on to a carrier that values its pilots!

FlyLate
05-03-2018, 07:16 PM
Kept seeing references to scabs in other threads as well. Can you fill me in on this history or send a link or something?I'll be happy to take this one. ABEX pilots had a legitimate beef with how management was violating their contract. They decided to go on strike, but ATI pilots, who belong to ALPA, were not informed. And furthermore, ATI pilots got no guidance from ALPA. ATI pilots flew their own scheduled flights, to their previously scheduled destinations, in their own airplanes, carrying their own freight, and didn't refuse to fly in solidarity with ABEX's super secret strike plan. Atlas, which was a Teamsters outfit like ABEX, did refuse to fly, honoring the ABEX strike. BTW, a judge ordered ABEX back to work pretty much immediately. But ATI, for failing to consult a psychic in anticipation of the super double secret strike plan, and being unable to read minds, and for then flying their established schedule, have now been labeled by certain disingenuous mental midgets as "scabs". Apparently some people throw around that word rather casually, devaluing the term to the point of meaninglessness. But we are talking about mental midgets...
In other words, ATI pilots did what just about anyone would do under the circumstances; they flew their schedule.
And 3 or 4 ABEX guys can't wrap their minds around that. Thankfully it's just the 3 or 4. Most ABEX guys are more lucid and mentally stable.

Kougarok
05-03-2018, 07:59 PM
I'll be happy to take this one. ABEX pilots had a legitimate beef with how management was violating their contract. They decided to go on strike, but ATI pilots, who belong to ALPA, were not informed. And furthermore, ATI pilots got no guidance from ALPA. ATI pilots flew their own scheduled flights, to their previously scheduled destinations, in their own airplanes, carrying their own freight, and didn't refuse to fly in solidarity with ABEX's super secret strike plan. Atlas, which was a Teamsters outfit like ABEX, did refuse to fly, honoring the ABEX strike. BTW, a judge ordered ABEX back to work pretty much immediately. But ATI, for failing to consult a psychic in anticipation of the super double secret strike plan, and being unable to read minds, and for then flying their established schedule, have now been labeled by certain disingenuous mental midgets as "scabs". Apparently some people throw around that word rather casually, devaluing the term to the point of meaninglessness. But we are talking about mental midgets...
In other words, ATI pilots did what just about anyone would do under the circumstances; they flew their schedule.
And 3 or 4 ABEX guys can't wrap their minds around that. Thankfully it's just the 3 or 4. Most ABEX guys are more lucid and mentally stable.

Yeah it wasnít a super secret strike. We were walking a picket line with signs and 8 ATI pilots chose to cross it. Some of the ATI crew members walked the line with us FYI. Please donít trivialize what we did.

earlybird77w
05-03-2018, 08:02 PM
ATI pilots flew their own scheduled flights, to their previously scheduled destinations, in their own airplanes, carrying their own freight

FWIW... ABX, ATI nor Atlas fly their "own" freight. Oh, and they all 3 lease airplanes from their parent company's leasing arm, Titan and CAM.

Now, I wonder who determines which airline flies each route? I'm sure someone will chime in.

Good ol' ACMI.

t207
05-03-2018, 08:07 PM
I'll be happy to take this one. ABEX pilots had a legitimate beef with how management was violating their contract. They decided to go on strike, but ATI pilots, who belong to ALPA, were not informed. And furthermore, ATI pilots got no guidance from ALPA. ATI pilots flew their own scheduled flights, to their previously scheduled destinations, in their own airplanes, carrying their own freight, and didn't refuse to fly in solidarity with ABEX's super secret strike plan. Atlas, which was a Teamsters outfit like ABEX, did refuse to fly, honoring the ABEX strike. BTW, a judge ordered ABEX back to work pretty much immediately. But ATI, for failing to consult a psychic in anticipation of the super double secret strike plan, and being unable to read minds, and for then flying their established schedule, have now been labeled by certain disingenuous mental midgets as "scabs". Apparently some people throw around that word rather casually, devaluing the term to the point of meaninglessness. But we are talking about mental midgets...

You forgot to mention that Southern, Kalitta Air, Kalitta Charters 2 all honored the strike. ATI was the only carrier that missed the picket line! therefor check your fire ATI has some new scabs and because of it you all have to live with it.

Jetlife
05-03-2018, 08:35 PM

Sorry but NJASAP was made aware, we had guidance on it and acted accordingly. Where you are grossly mistaking, is that ALPA knew and SPECIFICALLY SAID THEY DO NOT RECOGNIZE OR ACKNOWLEDGE THE PICKET LINE. Any union pilot knows better than that.

Atrasaty
05-04-2018, 05:40 AM

I would like to say nice try but that was a truly pathetic attempt to revise history.

Industry Strnd
05-04-2018, 05:55 AM
Somebody forgot to mention ALPA ATI didn't support the ABX single carrier filing either. It could have ended the wipsaw, gained a much better pay rate, qol and retirement for all but sadly ATI ALPA is too dumb to figure out how to negotiate things like fences and seat locks and protect home basing. They would rather fly under the worst acmi contract in the industry......scope that expires lol, vacation on days off....no retirement, no trip trades.

goinaround
05-04-2018, 06:28 AM
Sorry but NJASAP was made aware, we had guidance on it and acted accordingly. Where you are grossly mistaking, is that ALPA knew and SPECIFICALLY SAID THEY DO NOT RECOGNIZE OR ACKNOWLEDGE THE PICKET LINE. Any union pilot knows better than that.

This post says a lot right here.........

woog315
05-04-2018, 08:45 AM

Hahahahah, *slow clap*. I see another troll has perfected his art

gptjjbmj
05-04-2018, 10:58 AM
It might be nice if someone who actually works at ATI as allowed answer the guys question!

Almost There
05-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Somebody forgot to mention ALPA ATI didn't support the ABX single carrier filing either. It could have ended the wipsaw, gained a much better pay rate, qol and retirement for all but sadly ATI ALPA is too dumb to figure out how to negotiate things like fences and seat locks and protect home basing. They would rather fly under the worst acmi contract in the industry......scope that expires lol, vacation on days off....no retirement, no trip trades.

The ATI people who crossed the LEGAL picket line have NO EXCUSE. EVER!

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1