Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Choosing your base? (new hire qx)

AV810
04-22-2018, 05:21 AM
I interviewed with AW because they have a crew base at IAD near my home. Then I found out about seniority and bidding for a base, read much here about reserve and junior manning, etc. and am wondering if I'll even be able to work from IAD. Can anyone explain how this would likely work out in real life during my first year with no seniority? Thanks in advance!

Day4mx
04-22-2018, 06:52 AM
I interviewed with AW because they have a crew base at IAD near my home. Then I found out about seniority and bidding for a base, read much here about reserve and junior manning, etc. and am wondering if I'll even be able to work from IAD. Can anyone explain how this would likely work out in real life during my first year with no seniority? Thanks in advance!

You prioritize all your choices. You get what your seniority can hold. Realistically you may not get iad right away. You may get ord or mke. It shouldn't be too long to bid back to iad but reserve there is alot longer. Idk how long for fo's. As far as junior mans, theyre so constant and ongoing, everyone at all seniority levels is facing the threat every trip. Its really doing wonders for morale.

Swakid8
04-22-2018, 07:04 AM

If DC is important, have you looked into PSA?

T28driver
04-22-2018, 05:56 PM
You prioritize all your choices. You get what your seniority can hold. Realistically you may not get iad right away. You may get ord or mke. It shouldn't be too long to bid back to iad but reserve there is alot longer. Idk how long for fo's. As far as junior mans, theyre so constant and ongoing, everyone at all seniority levels is facing the threat every trip. Its really doing wonders for morale.

Iím 9 months on property and still over thirty numbers away from the bottom line holder in IAD. Reserve would for someone dead set on IAD is probably close to a year.

BFMthisA10
04-23-2018, 11:12 AM
Iím 9 months on property and still over thirty numbers away from the bottom line holder in IAD. Reserve would for someone dead set on IAD is probably close to a year.

New recruiting drive:
CA upgrades in as little as 24 months!
IAD FO line holder in as little as 14 months!*

[*fine print at the bottom: shortly thereafter back to MKE as a RC]

pitchtrim
04-23-2018, 12:38 PM
Yes how horrible. Get paid buckets of money in bonuses to come here, upgrade quick, and then heaven forbid sit reserve.

DarkSideMoon
04-23-2018, 01:07 PM
Yes how horrible. Get paid buckets of money in bonuses to come here, upgrade quick, and then heaven forbid sit reserve.

The context of this post was about holding IAD. If you want to upgrade into IAD it'll take an eternity.

pitchtrim
04-23-2018, 01:17 PM
It was, I had no idea. Thanks for pointing that out.

AV810
04-23-2018, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the reality check, and it leads to a second question: What's the big attraction at IAD? Why do senior people want it?

pitchtrim
04-23-2018, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the reality check, and it leads to a second question: What's the big attraction at IAD? Why do senior people want it?

We've been an east coast based company for 10+ years. So figure the majority of folks live on the east coast who work here, with a small percentage of old school awac guys out of Wisconsin. A lot of these east coast people can still drive to work or don't mind several hours of driving over an Ord commute. Mke is almost a guaranteed 2 legger unless you live in the area. Plus being a maintenance base will have bad schedules. Which is why Iad is senior and Mke is junior. Ord all things considered is a fairly easy commute from most anywhere imo.

IFLYACRJ
04-24-2018, 12:00 PM
We've been an east coast based company for 10+ years. So figure the majority of folks live on the east coast who work here, with a small percentage of old school awac guys out of Wisconsin. A lot of these east coast people can still drive to work or don't mind several hours of driving over an Ord commute. Mke is almost a guaranteed 2 legger unless you live in the area. Plus being a maintenance base will have bad schedules. Which is why Iad is senior and Mke is junior. Ord all things considered is a fairly easy commute from most anywhere imo.

IAD is so senior we have CAs whoíve been here ten plus years and are stuck on RSV. I was holding not so good schedules there so I bid out and over to ORD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

injun21
04-26-2018, 11:28 AM
IAD is so senior we have CAs whoíve been here ten plus years and are stuck on RSV. I was holding not so good schedules there so I bid out and over to ORD

All new hires getting MKE reserve. MKE line. Then, ORD reserve..... in that order. It basically depends on if youíre going to commute or not. If youíre going to commute you pick Chicago reserve over Milwaukee line holder Welcome to Air Whiskey.

T28driver
04-26-2018, 03:45 PM
All new hires getting MKE reserve. MKE line. Then, ORD reserve..... in that order. It basically depends on if youíre going to commute or not. If youíre going to commute you pick Chicago reserve over Milwaukee line holder Welcome to Air Whiskey.

Most Junior ORD Reserve was hired in March.

Most junior ORD line holder was hired in September of last year.

Most junior MKE line holder was hired in December.

Most junior IAD line holder was hired in May of 2017.

IFLYACRJ
04-26-2018, 05:47 PM
Most Junior ORD Reserve was hired in March.

Most junior ORD line holder was hired in September of last year.

Most junior MKE line holder was hired in December.

Most junior IAD line holder was hired in May of 2017.

My advice is to get on the property and get a seniority number. You may not get what you want right off the bat, but things around here are moving fast. Iím sure another vacancy bid will be out again soon

DarkSideMoon
04-27-2018, 03:52 AM
My advice is to get on the property and get a seniority number. You may not get what you want right off the bat, but things around here are moving fast. Iím sure another vacancy bid will be out again soon

Or go somewhere where you can hold What you want out of training. If they open up another MX base crew base who knows how long it will take to hold IAD.

This isn't a bad place to work by any means but I'd feel very differently if I had to commute.

RabidW0mbat
04-27-2018, 07:53 AM
Or go somewhere where you can hold What you want out of training. If they open up another MX base crew base who knows how long it will take to hold IAD.

This isn't a bad place to work by any means but I'd feel very differently if I had to commute.

I just accepted a CJO this week, should be in class by June/July. Looking forward to the ability to drive to either MKE or hopefully ORD.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1