Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : 320 reserves

RhinoBallAuto
04-22-2018, 02:31 PM
Can anyone provide some education WRT the subject line? Specifically, which bases require covering multiple airports?

For example, I am pretty sure that LAX737 covers SAN/ONT/LGB....Is this also true for the LAX320 or LGA320 statuses?

...asking for a friend

Boogerface
04-22-2018, 02:33 PM
Can anyone provide some education WRT the subject line? Specifically, which bases require covering multiple airports?

For example, I am pretty sure that LAX737 covers SAN/ONT/LGB....Is this also true for the LAX320 or LGA320 statuses?

...asking for a friend

I think LAX 320 covers LAX, ONT, SNA, and SAN...but not LGB
LGA 320 covers LGA, EWR, and JFK.
UDC 320 covers DCA, BWI, and IAD.
MIA 320 covers MIA, FLL, and PBI.
I think that's it, but someone more in the know can correct me.

viper548
04-22-2018, 02:44 PM
LAX-320 only covers LAX. The B-737 covers LAX, SAN, ONT, SNA.

Boogerface
04-22-2018, 03:22 PM
LAX-320 only covers LAX. The B-737 covers LAX, SAN, ONT, SNA.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

sumwherelse
04-22-2018, 07:06 PM
320 has no multi airport bases.

C17flyer172
04-22-2018, 07:52 PM
NY 320 covers LGA EWR and JFK

Sliceback
04-23-2018, 05:44 AM
The real answer would be how much fly flying is done from each airport? Looking at the PBS bid packages the 320 in JFK has a lot of LGA flying but there are very few EWR trips. So it’s really JFK/LGA coverage with a rare, and perhaps never, EWR, trip. But that’s today’s flying. Next month might change but the flying allotment tends to be stable...until it changes.

EMBFlyer
04-23-2018, 07:33 AM

Yes they do. LGA, MIA and DCA.

AFPirate
04-23-2018, 08:33 AM

Way to spread misinformation!

fartsarefunny
04-23-2018, 10:03 AM
The real answer would be how much fly flying is done from each airport? Looking at the PBS bid packages the 320 in JFK has a lot of LGA flying but there are very few EWR trips. So itís really JFK/LGA coverage with a rare, and perhaps never, EWR, trip. But thatís todayís flying. Next month might change but the flying allotment tends to be stable...until it changes.

It varies month to month. Lately itís been about 50% LGA, 40% JFK, and 10% EWR, but a few months ago EWR made up almost 40% so it shifts. Some months West coast does the red eyes and then the next its east coast....I will add that as a reservists and having to cover the 3, EWR might as well be another continent as far as being able to move between the 3.

Sliceback
04-23-2018, 12:55 PM
EWR is tough to get to for a reservist. But what about the LAX or MIA outlier bases? IDK the frequency of exposure or the ease, or difficulty, of getting there for an early sign-in or after a late return.

PHL and CLT have no outlier bases.

MarineGrunt
04-23-2018, 03:55 PM
It varies month to month. Lately itís been about 50% LGA, 40% JFK, and 10% EWR, but a few months ago EWR made up almost 40% so it shifts. Some months West coast does the red eyes and then the next its east coast....I will add that as a reservists and having to cover the 3, EWR might as well be another continent as far as being able to move between the 3.

Whatís the best way for a commuter to get to any of the 3? Uber? Any reliable public trans?

Boogerface
04-23-2018, 04:52 PM
EWR is tough to get to for a reservist. But what about the LAX or MIA outlier bases? IDK the frequency of exposure or the ease, or difficulty, of getting there for an early sign-in or after a late return.

PHL and CLT have no outlier bases.

FLL and PBI are very easy to get to if you are near MIA. Tri-rail starts right at MIA airport (at the rental car center), and has a FLL and PBI stop, with free shuttle service to the terminal buildings. When I was MIA based, I took it between FLL and MIA quite often. During the week, it runs about every 45 minutes or so, and costs about 5 bucks (runs about once an hour on weekends). Compared to LAX or LGA, it's extremely easy.

As for NY, getting between LGA and JFK isn't too difficult, but getting to EWR is ridiculous. Personally, I think EWR should be considered an outstation, and not part of the NY base.

I know absolutely nothing about LAX.

Sliceback
04-23-2018, 05:29 PM
Boogerface - I agree about Tri-rail. I just donít know if works for early or late shows. Years ago it didnít. I donít know if the AM/PM hours have been extended.

Hueypilot
04-23-2018, 08:20 PM

I used to fly trips out of IAD on the 320 when I was based in DCA. Never saw a BWI trip though, although I suppose it's possible on the 737.

nimslow
04-23-2018, 11:55 PM
Boogerface - I agree about Tri-rail. I just donít know if works for early or late shows. Years ago it didnít. I donít know if the AM/PM hours have been extended.

Weekdays, the first train arrives at the MIA airport station around 05:30 (07:50 on the weekends/holidays). The last train leaves the airport at 21:40 both weekdays and weekends/holidays.

Lyft to FLL was $36 last Saturday afternoon (from mid beach, not the airport, but I'd guess the price would be pretty close).

fartsarefunny
04-24-2018, 03:19 AM
Whatís the best way for a commuter to get to any of the 3? Uber? Any reliable public trans?

Easiest Uber/Lyft, about $70-75 minimum. There are services (ETS, NYC Airporter....) that run between $25-45 one way depending on which one and they take about 2.5 hrs (Iíve used and made it quicker, but wouldnít guarantee). Public transportation exist and Iím sure itís cheaper, but Ive never used so Iím not sure about that one.

Sliceback
04-24-2018, 03:54 AM
Weekdays, the first train arrives at the MIA airport station around 05:30 (07:50 on the weekends/holidays). The last train leaves the airport at 21:40 both weekdays and weekends/holidays.

Lyft to FLL was $36 last Saturday afternoon (from mid beach, not the airport, but I'd guess the price would be pretty close).

A crash pad would be near MIA. What about the Tri-Rail going to FLL/PBS?

Cab was about $100 EWR-LGA a decade ago in heavy traffic.

Sliceback
04-24-2018, 06:22 AM
JFK - EWR. Airtrain to Jamaica station, LIRR to Penn station, train to EWR.

Old recommendation. 1+30? $40?

Not sure of the train hours. The early EWR sign in was a bear for the guys with JFK crash pads.

nimslow
04-24-2018, 06:25 AM
A crash pad would be near MIA. What about the Tri-Rail going to FLL/PBS?

Cab was about $100 EWR-LGA a decade ago in heavy traffic.

My pad is on the beach, but you are right, most of them are closer to the airport. The earliest train from MIA airport would get you to the FLL airport station at 04:50 on weekdays, 06:00 on weekends/holidays. Add 30 minutes or so for the bus to the terminal. For PBI, add about an hour.

Couple of months ago, a Lyft from EWR to LGA was just under $100. I've seen it anywhere from $65 to $115. Depending on day of the week, and time of day. Just about every time I compared the prices, Lyft has been less than Uber, both in LGA and MIA.

When I left LGA the 73 had some 04:00 check in's at EWR. I'd usually go over the night before, and buy a hotel close to the airport, around $90 OTD.

There is a van for the flight attendants from LGA to EWR, I think one at 03:30, and 04:30, if there is room, they will let you ride along.

RhinoBallAuto
04-24-2018, 08:05 AM
I appreciate all the feedback and dialogue -- especially that which cleared up any misinformation. :rolleyes:

On background, I have indoc coming up soon and live in the DFW area. Obviously, will hope to grab a S80 spot if there are any to be had.... so I am just trying to analyze what commute-to-reserve may look like for other choices.

nimslow
04-24-2018, 08:55 AM
I appreciate all the feedback and dialogue -- especially that which cleared up any misinformation. :rolleyes:

On background, I have indoc coming up soon and live in the DFW area. Obviously, will hope to grab a S80 spot if there are any to be had.... so I am just trying to analyze what commute-to-reserve may look like for other choices.

Good luck on getting the 80, it will buy you more time at home until they go away.

Commuting anywhere from DFW pretty much sucks. Lots of commuters, dead headers, people going to and from training, dispatchers and FAA looking for a jumpseat. There are even a fair number of rampers and mechanics that commute to DFW.

The last eight months I did DFW-LGA, I'm now doing DFW-MIA, and I've done DFW-DCA in the past. Of those, DFW-LGA was by far the. easiest commute. All Airbus, so two jumpseats on every flight. You cant get to LGA before 11:50 though. MIA has been the hardest, the jumps fill up fast, several days out, and there are several 73's, with only one JS. Very rare to get a seat in the back between DFW-MIA.

I hear DFW-PHL isn't bad, LAX is doable, but flights are full, with lots of commuters also. I do know several LAX people, who sit long call at home in DFW. I only know one CLT commuter, he says thats a PITA.

Welcome to the flying circus!

ALF659
04-24-2018, 04:11 PM
Good luck on getting the 80, it will buy you more time at home until they go away.

Commuting anywhere from DFW pretty much sucks. Lots of commuters, dead headers, people going to and from training, dispatchers and FAA looking for a jumpseat. There are even a fair number of rampers and mechanics that commute to DFW.

The last eight months I did DFW-LGA, I'm now doing DFW-MIA, and I've done DFW-DCA in the past. Of those, DFW-LGA was by far the. easiest commute. All Airbus, so two jumpseats on every flight. You cant get to LGA before 11:50 though. MIA has been the hardest, the jumps fill up fast, several days out, and there are several 73's, with only one JS. Very rare to get a seat in the back between DFW-MIA.

I hear DFW-PHL isn't bad, LAX is doable, but flights are full, with lots of commuters also. I do know several LAX people, who sit long call at home in DFW. I only know one CLT commuter, he says thats a PITA.

Welcome to the flying circus!

I commuted DFW-LAX and DFW-CLT within the last year and never once had an issue getting on the flight I wanted. I rode the jumpseat a lot but I prefer a jumpseat on a 321 to seat 35B anyway. I have friends that commute DFW-MIA and it seems a little but harder but they have never had much difficulty getting on either. Being able to book the jumpseat 8 days out makes DFW to anywhere very possible unless you aren't wanting to sit in the jumpseat.

Regionalsuck
04-25-2018, 05:42 AM
I commuted DFW-LAX and DFW-CLT within the last year and never once had an issue getting on the flight I wanted. I rode the jumpseat a lot but I prefer a jumpseat on a 321 to seat 35B anyway. I have friends that commute DFW-MIA and it seems a little but harder but they have never had much difficulty getting on either. Being able to book the jumpseat 8 days out makes DFW to anywhere very possible unless you aren't wanting to sit in the jumpseat.

What about reserve? You canít book anything in advance because you have no idea what you are doing?

ALF659
04-25-2018, 08:40 AM
What about reserve? You canít book anything in advance because you have no idea what you are doing?

When you start off initially you will be on short call and have to commute into base prior to your block of reserve starting so you do know when and can book 8 days in advance. Depending on what base you are going to this could be anywhere from a couple of months to over a year on short call status.

Once you are able to hold long call status this changes and you don't always know for sure when your trip will be. However, you will still likely get a trip on your first day of every reserve period and can book a jumpseat in advance and commute in on that morning. The policy is that you can book 1 jumpseat between any city pair every day as well so you could book one every day you are on reserve and cancel as they are not needed.

On last thing you can use is the commuter policy that protects you in the case that flights cancel and you can't make it in. You are only required to have a legitimate plan to make it to base. This means have a jumpseat booked, or even list for a flight with plenty of open seats to non-rev in. If things change and you can't make it or are late, you can call off using the commuter miss excuse if necessary. I wouldn't want to be using this on a regular basis but on the off chance you don't make it in time it can and is used by commuters on a regular basis.

Lots of options.

Frip
04-25-2018, 03:08 PM
"The policy is that you can book 1 jumpseat between any city pair every day as well so you could book one every day you are on reserve and cancel as they are not needed."

Do not make a jumpseat reservation until you have plans to take the flight. If you reserve a jumpseat “just in case,” you will have needlessly blocked your fellow pilots from reserving that jumpseat.

EMBFlyer
04-25-2018, 06:40 PM
"the policy is that you can book 1 jumpseat between any city pair every day as well so you could book one every day you are on reserve and cancel as they are not needed."

do not make a jumpseat reservation until you have plans to take the flight. If you reserve a jumpseat ďjust in case,Ē you will have needlessly blocked your fellow pilots from reserving that jumpseat.

^^^^^this!!! A million times this!!!

Andrew_VT
04-26-2018, 02:16 PM
There is a van for the flight attendants from LGA to EWR, I think one at 03:30, and 04:30, if there is room, they will let you ride along.

Good god our contract sucks...

TQ Nola
04-29-2018, 05:44 AM
Just a reminder: you are not required to be superman. Something like PBI or EWR, you get there when you get there.

Andrew_VT
04-30-2018, 01:46 AM
Something like PBI or EWR, you get there when you get there.

And in the case of EWR, $100 poorer apparently. Intra-base transportation should be completely free to us.

Frip
04-30-2018, 04:37 AM
And in the case of EWR, $100 poorer apparently. Intra-base transportation should be completely free to us.

As it was at that poor lil Teeny Weeny Airline well over thirty years ago.

Standing by to have it 'splained how "we can't do that". :confused:

Mil2Cil
04-30-2018, 11:29 AM
Can you bid to sit reserve for EWR, since so many ppl hate the intercity commute? I have an 29 May in-doc and was planning on bidding the LGA 320 to get to Philly in 6 months. Thanks!

PRS Guitars
04-30-2018, 12:19 PM
Can you bid to sit reserve for EWR, since so many ppl hate the intercity commute? I have an 29 May in-doc and was planning on bidding the LGA 320 to get to Philly in 6 months. Thanks!

You cover them all on reserve. Once you are long call you can “proffer” (request) for a trip. If I think I’m getting tapped, I do this for a trip I like. Not sure about proffering on Short Call, I haven’t sat it under our current system.

But just bid the 190 and problem solved. Seriously, it’s a no brainer if you live in PHL. And if you’re coming from the military (especially Fighters) it’s a great way to learn the airline business quickly. Congested ramps and airspace, lots of legs, de-icing, delays, fast talking controllers with no patience. I say all this from my experience...

buffalo
05-02-2018, 05:57 AM
The 320NEOs are scheduled for delivery starting next year. Will the initial deliveries be 320NEOs or 321NEOs?

swaayze
05-02-2018, 08:12 AM
Not positive, but fairly certain weíre only taking 321s in the future. And they would be 319s, not 320s, if Iím wrong above.

Cheddar
05-04-2018, 02:54 AM
They are all 321NEOs. The 320 is almost identical to the 737-800/8MAX, and we are retiring all the older LUS 320ís. Itís been said by the company for about 6 months now that we are looking for any lightly used 319s we can find to replace the E190/S80 flying.

Airbus has a prohibitive price tag on the A319NEO (I believe they have converted all customers to the 320NEO) as the bigger versions make them much more $$ for the cost/effort to build/certify. The thought is they are also going to start heavily pushing the C series (A210/A230)... thatís a 319 killer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buffalo
05-06-2018, 12:04 PM
They are all 321NEOs. The 320 is almost identical to the 737-800/8MAX, and we are retiring all the older LUS 320ís. Itís been said by the company for about 6 months now that we are looking for any lightly used 319s we can find to replace the E190/S80 flying.

Airbus has a prohibitive price tag on the A319NEO (I believe they have converted all customers to the 320NEO) as the bigger versions make them much more $$ for the cost/effort to build/certify. The thought is they are also going to start heavily pushing the C series (A210/A230)... thatís a 319 killer.

When will the 4000nm LR variant of the A321NEO show up at AA? The 321NEO-LR is advertised as the B757 replacement and AA has several 757 routes that a standard A321NEO probably cannot replace. Those routes include; AMS-PHL, SNN-PHL, GLA-PHL, EDI-JFK, DUB-JFK, LIM-DFW, MIA-LPB MIA-BSB and possibly the PHX-Hawaii flying.

Sliceback
05-06-2018, 01:12 PM
321LR? AA has said ďnot interested.Ē

Cheddar
05-07-2018, 03:59 PM
What Slice said

redbaronahp
05-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Iím starting at AA soon. I currently commute to PHL but have commuted CLT which is far easier. I have considered bidding the 190 to start but year 2 pay is far lower on the 190. My understanding is there is no
seat lock for new hires so I could bid out of the group 1 aircraft prior to the end of year 1 since 2nd year pay is quite different between group 1 and 2. Iíve heard that AA can withhold a training class date for up to a year but they pay at the new aircraft pay rate. I think ideally Iíd like to commute to CLT or DFW for the Airbus or 737. From my home near MEM I can commute to any base except LAX on AA/AE but CLT and DFW are the shortest flights and have the most daily flights. Would like to hear from experienced AA pilots for the soon to be newbie. Thanks!

viper548
05-19-2018, 10:10 AM
I believe the seat lock is 6 months for new hires. You'll likely get held on the 190 for about a year, or when they go away, whichever is sooner. You will get the higher pay of the 737/320 while you are withheld. The 190 does not have company hour limits like the other fleets do, just FARs. You'll make more money on the 190 being withheld than you will going with the 737/320 right away.

mainlineAF
05-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Iím starting at AA soon. I currently commute to PHL but have commuted CLT which is far easier. I have considered bidding the 190 to start but year 2 pay is far lower on the 190. My understanding is there is no

seat lock for new hires so I could bid out of the group 1 aircraft prior to the end of year 1 since 2nd year pay is quite different between group 1 and 2. Iíve heard that AA can withhold a training class date for up to a year but they pay at the new aircraft pay rate. I think ideally Iíd like to commute to CLT or DFW for the Airbus or 737. From my home near MEM I can commute to any base except LAX on AA/AE but CLT and DFW are the shortest flights and have the most daily flights. Would like to hear from experienced AA pilots for the soon to be newbie. Thanks!

CLT and DFW are two of the most senior bases. You want to commute to PHL, MIA or LGA for much better seniority.

I would 100% go Phl 190 if i were you.

Beech Dude
05-19-2018, 08:37 PM
Liking all the positive PHL 190 info. Good stuff. Hopefully they're still around in late '19 into '20 and hopefully I get hired. :D

SactisbonesBJ
05-19-2018, 09:31 PM

Take the first class you can get, dont hate on the RJ it's a big boy plane too

SactisbonesBJ
05-19-2018, 09:32 PM
Liking all the positive PHL 190 info. Good stuff. Hopefully they're still around in late '19 into '20 and hopefully I get hired. :D

Yeah you can get hired at Republic all you like

Frip
05-20-2018, 05:38 AM
Would like to hear from experienced AA pilots for the soon to be newbie. Thanks!

Not what you want to hear, but if at all possible pick a base and move there.

The difference is lifestyle - both time at home with your family and opportunity to do the best flying in the base vs. the commutable - and the reduction is stress and fatigue is almost unimaginably huge.

CLT will likely soon habe the most movement, through retirements.

Arado 234
05-20-2018, 06:23 AM
Would like to hear from experienced AA pilots for the soon to be newbie. Thanks!

The difference is lifestyle - both time at home with your family and opportunity to do the best flying in the base vs. the commutable - and the reduction is stress and fatigue is almost unimaginably huge.

I have commuted all my airline life (~15 years) and I still prefer my home where I am at then moving to a base.

Bases can close, too. Just ask SFO or PIT folks.

Frip
05-20-2018, 06:51 AM
I have commuted all my airline life (~15 years) and I still prefer my home where I am at then moving to a base.

Bases can close, too. Just ask SFO or PIT folks.

Different strokes... Definitely

Thirty years of flying with and observing commuters and locals validate my comments. Commuting has a cost, and it is a large and multi-faceted one.

If the cost/benefit tilts that way for you, or anyone, and I totally understand that it does for a lot of folks, then that is what it is. One should still be aware of it, and make the choice with their eyes wide open.

And, yes, then don't ***** about it.

BackintheLPA
05-20-2018, 09:08 AM

CLT will have movement, but thereís a ton of people waiting for CLT to open up. March 2017 was the last time a new hire got in. Thereís probably 4-6 for every class since March 2017 that want CLT. So I would guess thereís probably +/- 125 FOs waiting to get into a base that only has 600 320 FO slots. DF in planning already said it will be March 2019 at the earliest for an August 2018 hire. Thereís a significant number of STL S80 guys moving into CLT as well.

nimslow
05-20-2018, 10:13 AM
Different strokes... Definitely

Thirty years of flying with and observing commuters and locals validate my comments. Commuting has a cost, and it is a large and multi-faceted one.

If the cost/benefit tilts that way for you, or anyone, and I totally understand that it does for a lot of folks, then that is what it is. One should still be aware of it, and make the choice with their eyes wide open.

And, yes, then don't ***** about it.

I'm with Frip on this one. I've lived in base for a long time, but started commuting again a year ago. It flat out sucks, and is the reason we will soon list our house, and get started on making the move.

I have absolutely no desire to live where we will end up, but it will be better for my family.

Do what works best for you and yours.

N10DJ
05-20-2018, 02:11 PM
You don't make more money flying the 190 vs the 737 or A320 if you are okay with LGA or LAX. Holding a line after about 4 months is normal now if you want one.

Beech Dude
05-20-2018, 06:27 PM
Yeah. I have no preference for the 190, I'd plan to drive to LGA for a 737, I have the type and from that little snip of "experience" I liked it. 190 to 320 would just offer PHL and living in base. But 4 months to a line will make the 2 hour drive a moot point. :)

redbaronahp
05-20-2018, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I currently commute and am aware of the issues with it. I donít plan to commute forever but the wife and I are expecting another baby soon and we live close to her parents. The help they provide while Iím gone is enormous. Once all the kids are out of diapers in a few years we do plan to move to a base.
CLT and DFW are the easiest commutes from our home near MEM with the most direct AA flights. Any of the bases are commutable via FedEx and all but LAX have at least one direct flight per day on AA.

From the comments it sounds like LGA might be the best for me with the low time to hold a line, though PHL has one extra flight per day making it slightly easier to commute in network. If I get LGA then Iíll just have to find another crash pad and then figure out the NY area transportation system until I can get to CLT or DFW on long call.

PRS Guitars
05-21-2018, 06:50 AM
Yeah. I have no preference for the 190, I'd plan to drive to LGA for a 737, I have the type and from that little snip of "experience" I liked it. 190 to 320 would just offer PHL and living in base. But 4 months to a line will make the 2 hour drive a moot point. :)

Do you live in PHL? If so 737 is not a good move for you, they don’t have them in PHL so you could be looking at 18 months (if withheld) before getting PHL AB. I too had the 737 type (never flew it). I wouldn’t put that in my decision matrix though.

Edit: just saw that you’re not even hired yet, so disregard above because it could change...

Dolphinflyer
05-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Whatever you decide. don't delay accepting a class even for one day based on a base or aircraft. Outside of anything like a bad family illness, you'll regret it forever.

Beech Dude
05-21-2018, 04:25 PM
Do you live in PHL? If so 737 is not a good move for you, they donít have them in PHL so you could be looking at 18 months (if withheld) before getting PHL AB. I too had the 737 type (never flew it). I wouldnít put that in my decision matrix though.

Edit: just saw that youíre not even hired yet, so disregard above because it could change...

No sweat. All info and insight is appreciated.

drinksonme
05-21-2018, 04:40 PM
Okay Iíll admit I didnít read all 6 pages of this, I skimmed them (Cliff Notes style) and didnít see one reference to why certain bases cover multiple cities without any type of credit. This is absolutely CRAZY!!!!

At my regional I was based in LAX, but had to cover ONT from time to time years ago. None of the bids for LAX included ONT flying and visa versa as we also had an ONT base. Yet, if I, a LAX based pilot, was assigned a trip (and this is basically for reserve or reassignment), the COMPANY WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR MY TRANSPORTATION AND I STRESS, AND, CREDIT (see that ONE MORE TIME) CREDIT for GROUND TRANSPORTATION TIME. So the company had to not only provide us Travel, they had to pay for the transit time (in the form of Deadhead that counted towards DUTY DAY as well). Why in hell is this place not held accountable for any of the above.

This thread is evidence to the fact that the PILOTS are forced to cover AAís planning and schedule. NOT OUR JOBS.

ANOTHER APA 1970ís joke of an aggrement.

Make so all cities that we cover are bases not included under ONE base. Separate the bids and let seniority make it so. JFK only flying can be bid, LGA flying only can be bid, and EWR only flying can be bid. (As an example...MIA, LAX, and DCA should all have the same benefit). If someone on reserve or a reassignment are given flying in bid base other than their own, it should be on the COMPANY, not the PILOT, to cover the transit time and credit. This is highway robbery that AA has benefited off of for WAY to long and I blame the pilots and the union for allowing it. It virtual basing with COMPANY laughing all the way to the bank/assignments.

EMBFlyer
05-21-2018, 05:55 PM
At my regional I was based in LAX, but had to cover ONT from time to time years ago. None of the bids for LAX included ONT flying and visa versa as we also had an ONT base. Yet, if I, a LAX based pilot, was assigned a trip (and this is basically for reserve or reassignment), the COMPANY WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR MY TRANSPORTATION AND I STRESS, AND, CREDIT (see that ONE MORE TIME) CREDIT for GROUND TRANSPORTATION TIME. So the company had to not only provide us Travel, they had to pay for the transit time (in the form of Deadhead that counted towards DUTY DAY as well). Why in hell is this place not held accountable for any of the above.

If it's the regional I think it is (and a Super one at that), your situation was because that particular carrier had two separate bases at LAX and ONT. It was no different than you being sent from IAH to cover a CLE trip.

Major airlines have had co-terminals forever. United has one in Washington and New York. The be-all-end-all of Delta has co-terminals in New York. It's not uncommon and has been around for years.

climb
06-06-2018, 10:32 PM
Yea but United gets cross town pay and terminal direct parking at satellites.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1