Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Well? Nobody's called yet?

tm602
04-24-2018, 08:35 AM
Been quiet in here since the window closed. Anybody headed to Texas?

InigoMontoya
04-24-2018, 09:19 AM
Still hoping

Tbpilot06
04-24-2018, 11:20 AM
I have been waiting for several windows. No rhyme or reason to the interview invite process that I can tell.

7Thirty7s4Life
04-24-2018, 12:12 PM
I have been waiting for several windows. No rhyme or reason to the interview invite process that I can tell.

Oh there is definitely rhyme and reason.

Squallrider
04-24-2018, 01:21 PM
It was 2 1/2 months after window closed before I got a invite as a reference.and I interviewed in March

cj3guy
04-24-2018, 02:11 PM
Same here, still waiting, hoping...

TerrainTerrain
04-24-2018, 03:48 PM
Everything is scored so if you are not getting a invite = score
Low. So Appy to spirit or some other fake airline if you have under 10k. Not joking. Swa hires mill and people with epic experience.

Squallrider
04-24-2018, 04:31 PM
From my experience interviewing southwest interviews every combination of experience, military , corporate , low time, high time, tpic, no tpic , part 91, 135 121 etc etcanything that you can think of was people’s baxkground in my interview day.
For sim they match you with someone completely not like you, for instance a military guy with a 121 captain, because they believe the differences make people stronger and make them excel to be better than what they were. I didn’t get a invite for 2 years and all that happened in that time is my flight time went up about 800 hours, and not to the point of crossing any threshold. So have faith, keep updating and keep applying. Make sure your email from pilotcredentials and swa website are the same otherwise the system can’t match you to your profile. Good luck and don’t give up, like I said took 2 1/2 months into the window for me to hear.

slough
04-25-2018, 05:56 AM
Guys are mentioning new hire classmates with zero PIC, how did they get by the computer score? Does anyone know what SWA weights most heavily when tallying the app?

Seventhreeseven
04-25-2018, 08:06 AM
"For sim they match you with someone completely not like you, for instance a military guy with a 121 captain, because they believe the differences make people stronger and make them excel to be better than what they were."

Ha thats cute. No, they match military guys with a 121 captain because they know the low time never flown an IMC ILS are weak dick at the start. Coddle them through training and then I get to hold their hand on the line.

ZapBrannigan
04-25-2018, 08:43 AM
https://media2.giphy.com/media/pUeXcg80cO8I8/giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Baron
04-25-2018, 09:42 AM
"For sim they match you with someone completely not like you, for instance a guy like seventhreeseven, an expert in flying.

Yeah, you've got to be a real joy to fly with!

WHACKMASTER
04-25-2018, 11:46 AM
"For sim they match you with someone completely not like you, for instance a military guy with a 121 captain, because they believe the differences make people stronger and make them excel to be better than what they were."

Ha thats cute. No, they match military guys with a 121 captain because they know the low time never flown an IMC ILS are weak dick at the start. Coddle them through training and then I get to hold their hand on the line.

.............nah, that’s just what they’d be expecting me to do. :D

Peacock
04-25-2018, 12:06 PM

Whoa. You’ve flown ILS’s? In IMC?!? That’s pretty badass!

Warhawg01
04-25-2018, 12:43 PM
Yep. Only Weapons School graduates are allowed to fly ILS approaches.

ILS approaches in actual IMC? That’s rarified air for only WS Instructors with an actual MiG kill in combat. The rest of us can just dream.

at6d
04-25-2018, 02:12 PM
Well that escalated quickly!

J1180
04-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Also waiting for a call. Hopeful.

TroutBum
04-26-2018, 10:16 AM

No kidding! We could only dream of that at Misawa!

imbroke
04-26-2018, 04:45 PM

What a clown.

slimothy
04-26-2018, 07:29 PM

Who hurt you?

ZapBrannigan
04-27-2018, 01:18 AM
Flew with a Captain this week who, coincidentally, I had also flown with at another major pre-9/11 and we got to talking about this one unique and surprising characteristic of SW pilots. We both thought before coming to SW that the pilot group was largely cowboys and laid back good old boys. Neither of us was prepared for the significant military presence and influence.

But what surprised us most was how many of the prior military folks had a tough time letting go and assimilating into 121, instead preferring to join this ‘subculture’ and behave as if the airline were simply an extension of the unit from which they came. In rare cases even choosing to continue using their callsign.

There’s isn’t anything wrong with it, and they certainly should be proud of their service - but it IS somewhat peculiar how big this particular demographic is at the airline and how successful they have been at influencing everything from policy to nomenclature. It was not something that either of us had seen at any of the other airlines we’ve worked at.

Unfortunately it has bred a little bit of a civil war - devolving into name calling and, in the case of one particular domicile, stereotyping.

Personally I enjoy their stories and experiences as long as they’re able to talk about other things too... and they don’t roll their eyes too much when I try to regale them with my heroic tales of flying the 19 seat Jetstream between Altoona and Pittsburgh. [emoji6]

My one pet peeve from the prior military Captains is when they presume to try and school me on the airline industry, and in-particular, how ‘industry leading’ we are, when they really have no basis for comparison. It would be nice if they would listen with an open mind to pilots who spent the last two decades bouncing around to various airlines and had real world experience with other airline CBAs. There’s a lot to learn about airline history, especially when it begins to repeat itself... but sometimes that means you might have to listen to your FO, and not presume that the left seat makes you an expert.

But now I’m stereotyping Captains... [emoji6]

WHACKMASTER
04-27-2018, 07:37 AM
My one pet peeve from the prior military Captains is when they presume to try and school me on the airline industry, and in-particular, how ‘industry leading’ we are, when they really have no basis for comparison. It would be nice if they would listen with an open mind to pilots who spent the last two decades bouncing around to various airlines and had real world experience with other airline CBAs. There’s a lot to learn about airline history, especially when it begins to repeat itself... but sometimes that means you might have to listen to your FO, and not presume that the left seat makes you an expert.

And that right there is the essence of why so many things are so ****ed up at SWA. An ignorant (to the ways of the 121 world) subculture that has been influencing policy and CULTure for decades.

RJSAviator76
04-28-2018, 12:14 PM
Delta seems partial to the Navy guys; it doesn't get much more Semper Fi than FedEx; AA is also a big USAF post-retirement place.

What separates us from other airlines? Are we empowering the squadron good sh*ts a little too much at this airline? Are we hiring the "wrong" group of guys? What do you guys think is the answer?

Psycho18th
04-28-2018, 02:28 PM
Delta seems partial to the Navy guys; it doesn't get much more Semper Fi than FedEx; AA is also a big USAF post-retirement place.

What separates us from other airlines? Are we empowering the squadron good sh*ts a little too much at this airline? Are we hiring the "wrong" group of guys? What do you guys think is the answer?
Seems to me SWA hires great guys from all backgrounds. There are just a couple really bitter “civilian background” guys who are very vocal on this board. Combine that with some surprisingly thin skinned “military background” guys on this board and a problem that doesn’t exist suddenly appears.

Swingline78
04-29-2018, 09:17 AM
Flew with a Captain this week who, coincidentally, I had also flown with at another major pre-9/11 and we got to talking about this one unique and surprising characteristic of SW pilots. We both thought before coming to SW that the pilot group was largely cowboys and laid back good old boys. Neither of us was prepared for the significant military presence and influence.

But what surprised us most was how many of the prior military folks had a tough time letting go and assimilating into 121, instead preferring to join this ‘subculture’ and behave as if the airline were simply an extension of the unit from which they came. In rare cases even choosing to continue using their callsign.

There’s isn’t anything wrong with it, and they certainly should be proud of their service - but it IS somewhat peculiar how big this particular demographic is at the airline and how successful they have been at influencing everything from policy to nomenclature. It was not something that either of us had seen at any of the other airlines we’ve worked at.

Unfortunately it has bred a little bit of a civil war - devolving into name calling and, in the case of one particular domicile, stereotyping.

Personally I enjoy their stories and experiences as long as they’re able to talk about other things too... and they don’t roll their eyes too much when I try to regale them with my heroic tales of flying the 19 seat Jetstream between Altoona and Pittsburgh. [emoji6]

You are not a cool person.

Rsv4lyfe
04-29-2018, 09:46 AM

Agree! 100%.

Thank you for saying what needed to be said. It’s not just a SWA tbing, it’s airline wide.

PotatoChip
04-29-2018, 01:58 PM
You are not a cool person.

What??
Zap is one of the most level headed and helpful posters on APC.
What is so wrong with his post that you had to say that?

PRS Guitars
04-30-2018, 12:37 PM
Zap,

Thanks for the post. I’m military and was LUS (I think that’s your former airline, right?) now AA. I haven’t seen this at AA or former US Airways. I don’t talk about military stuff at all unless asked, and that’s how most former military captains I’ve flown with are as well (even flew with a 2 star General and he didn’t offer up his rank until I asked). Anyway, your post will make me think about what I say, because I most certainly do want to blend in.

Not to mention, I got out of the Air Force for a reason, I don’t want my airline job to end up like an Air Force job.

Thanks!

ZapBrannigan
04-30-2018, 01:18 PM
No offense intended whatsoever. I sincerely appreciate your service (and no LUS guy ever buys a drink if I’m at the bar!)

This is more about the culture of the various Airlines and how this particular one developed to become something that isn’t what you might expect.

Burton78
04-30-2018, 02:16 PM
What??

Zap is one of the most level headed and helpful posters on APC.

What is so wrong with his post that you had to say that?

Meh. I used to share that sentiment. I think e6b trumped him on that supposed accolade a long time ago. Simply put, I don't see many military people whining about civilian pilots and their quirks on a routine basis on these SWA forums/FB Contract page. I'm not saying he's a bad dude at all by any means. I haven't met him, but I definitely agree that he seems like a great dude overall. He to me, just comes across as the typical civilian pilot that has a slight chip on their shoulder about pilots with a military background. (God forbid someone uses the word "jet" springs to mind; not that he started that one). But saying he's the most most level headed poster on APC? Nah.

Popularity contests aside. He does add a lot to the discussion and I'm sure he's helped countless new hires.

Just my observation. I'll retreat back to lurking status now.

Burton78
04-30-2018, 02:20 PM
Deleted....

ZapBrannigan
04-30-2018, 05:29 PM
Meh. I used to share that sentiment. I think e6b trumped him on that supposed accolade a long time ago.

I’ll be the first one to agree that E6B is one of the most knowledgeable and respected posters on this forum. I know that I frequently learn tips and tricks regarding bidding and premium from him. Hat tip to E6B. Dude’s a class act and deserves the respect he earns here.

at6d
04-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Simply put, I don't see many military people whining about civilian pilots and their quirks on a routine basis on these SWA forums/FB Contract page.

I'd actually like to hear some of the quirks us Civilians have that the mil guys don't!

Peacock
04-30-2018, 06:09 PM
I'd actually like to hear some of the quirks us Civilians have that the mil guys don't!
*****ing about military guys

7Thirty7s4Life
04-30-2018, 06:22 PM
If *****ing about mil vs civ in a 737 or in general actually effects your life you are a super inexperienced aviator. All flight decks are different, the guy you think is a ahole, prob thinks your a dork or visa versa. Here is a tip, jot it down mmmkay. Next time you feel like you have a problem with that mil or civ, smile, think about the other things in your life, and kill with kindness, move on. That’s the move boys, and old men.

PotatoChip
04-30-2018, 06:50 PM
But saying he's the most most level headed poster on APC? Nah

I very clearly said “One of the...”

Please re-read.

Burton78
04-30-2018, 06:51 PM
I very clearly said “One of the...”

Please re-read.

Fair enough and I agree.

C130driver
04-30-2018, 11:54 PM

He has also flown RNAV SIDs with more than 1 altitude restriction! We are in the presence of greatness.

Fetzer
05-01-2018, 09:45 AM

New to the forums and new hire at WN…

Zap seems like a guy who appreciates reasonable dialog, so I’d like to offer a perspective on callsigns.

For the majority of pilots coming from a fighter background, please don’t take the use of a nickname as a desire to bring military culture to the airlines. It’s simply a name that they’ve used for years in daily interactions with friends and colleagues. This isn’t Top Gun where a callsign is a cool way to pick up girls at the bar (most of the names aren’t that cool anyway). It is, instead, a name that you’ve been called by your brothers and sisters when celebrating the highest highs, lamenting the lowest lows, and everything in-between in an extremely demanding and dangerous area of aviation. If you had grown up with your family and friends calling you Zap and you wanted me to call you that as we get to know each other in this business, I wouldn’t begrudge you for it at all. If I asked you to call me by my nickname, it’s not because I want to fly the 737 like a fighter or turn the airline into a squadron. It’s because I value you as a co-worker, friend and someone who will have my back like I’ll have yours.

Note, this is merely a comment on callsign use. I think it’s less related to ‘letting go’ and assimilating into the 121 ‘subculture’ than some people think. As to other ‘significant military presence and influence,’ I haven’t been around long enough to know.

Happy to be here, and I’d love to hear some stories about flying the 19 seat Jetstream between Altoona and Pittsburgh.

ZapBrannigan
05-01-2018, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the company! I’m a fairly junior FO too, so not much chance we will ever fly together. Lucky for you, because my Altoona stories are really boring! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZapBrannigan
05-01-2018, 11:39 AM
Thankfully, ‘Hollywood’ works for the competition. [emoji6]

https://youtu.be/kQFeZRNNL6U

PRS Guitars
05-01-2018, 01:30 PM
New to the forums and new hire at WN…

Zap seems like a guy who appreciates reasonable dialog, so I’d like to offer a perspective on callsigns.

For the majority of pilots coming from a fighter background, please don’t take the use of a nickname as a desire to bring military culture to the airlines. It’s simply a name that they’ve used for years in daily interactions with friends and colleagues. This isn’t Top Gun where a callsign is a cool way to pick up girls at the bar (most of the names aren’t that cool anyway). It is, instead, a name that you’ve been called by your brothers and sisters when celebrating the highest highs, lamenting the lowest lows, and everything in-between in an extremely demanding and dangerous area of aviation. If you had grown up with your family and friends calling you Zap and you wanted me to call you that as we get to know each other in this business, I wouldn’t begrudge you for it at all. If I asked you to call me by my nickname, it’s not because I want to fly the 737 like a fighter or turn the airline into a squadron. It’s because I value you as a co-worker, friend and someone who will have my back like I’ll have yours.

Note, this is merely a comment on callsign use. I think it’s less related to ‘letting go’ and assimilating into the 121 ‘subculture’ than some people think. As to other ‘significant military presence and influence,’ I haven’t been around long enough to know.

Happy to be here, and I’d love to hear some stories about flying the 19 seat Jetstream between Altoona and Pittsburgh.

It’s one thing to run into an old buddy in ops and use Air Force names (call signs). It’s another to introduce yourself with it to new people you meet on the civilian side. For the former, that’s how you know each other and you might not even know first names. The latter makes you look like a D-bag. I don’t work for SWA though, so maybe it’s normal there, definately not at AA.

7Thirty7s4Life
05-01-2018, 05:09 PM
It’s one thing to run into an old buddy in ops and use Air Force names (call signs). It’s another to introduce yourself with it to new people you meet on the civilian side. For the former, that’s how you know each other and you might not even know first names. The latter makes you look like a D-bag. I don’t work for SWA though, so maybe it’s normal there, definately not at AA.

Exactly, don’t be that guy. First impression of “call me....” = toolbag. There is zero place for that here.

Warhawg01
05-01-2018, 08:39 PM
Yep. Cut the cord. It’s embarrassing.

flysocal77
05-01-2018, 08:43 PM
Been here 4 years and nobody asked me to call them by their military call sign. If they did, who cares. As long as they relax in the cockpit I don’t care. In general, the am guys are more tightly wound and I fly pms. Civilian or military same deal. My bid avoidance guys are all civilian but when I flew ams it was the opposite. Generally a good group of Captains here so I can’t complain.

Loon
05-03-2018, 05:46 AM
Been here 4 years and nobody asked me to call them by their military call sign. If they did, who cares. As long as they relax in the cockpit I don’t care. In general, the am guys are more tightly wound and I fly pms. Civilian or military same deal. My bid avoidance guys are all civilian but when I flew ams it was the opposite. Generally a good group of Captains here so I can’t complain.

Yeah, I've learned that there is no rhyme or reason.
Each genre(mil, civil, a.m. p.m., old, young etc etc) has their real cool dudes and some REAL not- so-cool dudes.
The few chicks I've flown with are cool and good sticks; I prefer them.

Shoreduty
05-03-2018, 06:48 AM

Not all 121 captains I've flown with are weak, some are ok. :);)

tm602
05-04-2018, 08:16 AM
Two things:

1) I don't mind calling a guy by his military callsign unless its something like "bunny kiss" or "fluffy bun". Its just another name to me.
2) Back to the original point in here....anyone get called from the April window? Times/experience?

BobbyLeeSwagger
05-04-2018, 08:27 AM
Exactly, don’t be that guy. First impression of “call me....” = toolbag. There is zero place for that here.

https://i.imgflip.com/29nde0.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/29nde0)

100LL
05-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Isn't SWA like other companies and values diversity? So if I were to put down I'm 50% latino I'd have a better chance getting a call then being 100% white? I know several people get jobs everywhere not just aviation because of their ethnic backgrounds ...you know to add diversity.

dawgdriver
05-04-2018, 05:41 PM

Not a WN guy but have several friends there that almost all say the same thing, that the culture is great, the captains are generally good dudes but the mil guys, particularly the AF ones, tend to be more rigid, 'by the book' and somewhat more reserved than the laid back civilian guys. Plenty of exceptions of course, but this makes sense given the highly structured and intense training regime the mil guys dealt with. I'm a hybrid of both but spent most of my career on the -121 side. I do prefer the more laid back approach but I caveat that with having spent most of my school years in the principle's office. :D

I've JS'd countless times and found SW pilots to be among the kindest and most accommodating in the business, MIL or CIV and I'd bend over backwards to return the favor.

dawgdriver
05-04-2018, 06:00 PM

Well said, good advice. Transitioning from the military is a daunting step that requires adapting to a completely different set of rules, expectations and mindset. Fortunately most guys get the message and catch on quickly.

e6bpilot
05-04-2018, 09:11 PM
I checked out of this thread a while back. A few observations -
Zap is good people. He and I exchange texts often and he knows how I feel on the mil vs civilian subject. SWA has a subculture of Air Force fighter guys who are very into being Air Force fighter guys. They hired their own for a long time back when they were doing interviews at PHX specifically for Luke guys and so that mentality spread through the airline. Now, those guys have a lot of great experience and we all know they are great aviators, just ask them, but when you don’t have a diverse mix of people in your cockpits, that is a bad thing.
I think that trend is definitely in decline and having that diverse skill set is more the norm now than seeing a class of almost all military guys.
Alas, the civ vs military debate wages on. It seems like a favorite topic on these forums because nobody is furloughed and we all need someone to bash I guess.
Look, this is an exciting time to be an airline pilot and SWA is no exception. Things are great here, we have a great group of pilots, and soon we will all be wearing gold plated diapers.

I just finished training and depending on who I talked to we are either hiring 700 or 1100 this year. Best of luck to those who want to call SWA home. It isn’t without its warts, as I will be the first to admit, but I am cautiously hopeful for the future.

Lotsof Blue
05-05-2018, 07:10 AM
I've heard that SW isn't sending invites to former interviewees at this time (subject to change). Has there been a slow down in invites for those who previously had a TBNT within the last couple of years?

J1180
05-05-2018, 07:20 AM
So has nobody heard from the latest window yet? This thread got way off topic.

slimothy
05-05-2018, 10:15 AM
I've heard that SW isn't sending invites to former interviewees at this time (subject to change). Has there been a slow down in invites for those who previously had a TBNT within the last couple of years?

Not sure when that supposedly started, but in my current new hire class several of us had previous interviews. I’d say it’s a rumor.

InigoMontoya
05-05-2018, 04:08 PM
So has nobody heard from the latest window yet? This thread got way off topic.
I’m still waiting to hear. I hope to soon.

tm602
05-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Well that was fast. Expo gone in 15 minutes. Bummer

PotatoChip
05-05-2018, 07:55 PM
Well that was fast. Expo gone in 15 minutes. Bummer

What??

Doesn’t open until 5/7 I thought.

capt707
05-05-2018, 10:20 PM
What??

Doesn’t open until 5/7 I thought.

It's hard for some people to read and follow simple instructions. Good way for HR to weed out people.

BobbyLeeSwagger
05-06-2018, 03:34 AM
Got this email...

http://i65.tinypic.com/f4l0jp.jpg

So I've been invited to register with the hopes of getting invited to go to the job fair with the hopes of getting invited to the interview lol :) what can I say, I'll take what I can get :)

J1180
05-06-2018, 08:39 AM
Got this email...

http://i65.tinypic.com/f4l0jp.jpg

So I've been invited to register with the hopes of getting invited to go to the job fair with the hopes of getting invited to the interview lol :) what can I say, I'll take what I can get :)

Yeah everyone got that. Wish they'd just send out interview invites. I have a few friends who've been to that job fair and said it was a waste of time. But, I'm sure if it results in an interview it isn't a waste.

tm602
05-06-2018, 09:39 AM
It's hard for some people to read and follow simple instructions. Good way for HR to weed out people.

Its not instructions, its my inability to read a calendar D'Oh!

flyingmonkeys
05-06-2018, 09:53 AM
Yeah everyone got that. Wish they'd just send out interview invites. I have a few friends who've been to that job fair and said it was a waste of time. But, I'm sure if it results in an interview it isn't a waste.

Well I never got that email... who is everyone? I have an app in. Oh well!

Happyflyer
05-08-2018, 06:18 AM

Were the guys who thought it was a waste of time highly competitive, or scratching the surface on creds?
When I read it, it appeared from the way they state they'll select the 400, they may dip into a pool that they previously wouldn't offer an interview to. So, if your above mins, but not highly competitive then it looks like a way to get some face time, and sell your personality.
I would think they would never want to have lower than an 85% interview success rate, or put too much pressure on an interview panel push people though. This appears as a way to prescreen applicants if your about to dip into a shallower pool.

J1180
05-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Were the guys who thought it was a waste of time highly competitive, or scratching the surface on creds?
When I read it, it appeared from the way they state they'll select the 400, they may dip into a pool that they previously wouldn't offer an interview to. So, if your above mins, but not highly competitive then it looks like a way to get some face time, and sell your personality.
I would think they would never want to have lower than an 85% interview success rate, or put too much pressure on an interview panel push people though. This appears as a way to prescreen applicants if your about to dip into a shallower pool.

They were experienced RJ captains with no background issues I'm aware of.

Tbpilot06
05-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Well I never got that email... who is everyone? I have an app in. Oh well!

I never got one either..

finhunter89
05-08-2018, 12:34 PM
Still silence for me

JetDoc
05-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Here is what I think is going on. Some got emails, some did not. I fell into the latter category, no email. I believe they sent 400 emails to the ones they want to talk to and that they will get a ticket if they register. If they don't get 400 registrations they will probably go through the list and backfill. Time will tell.

Tbpilot06
05-08-2018, 01:10 PM
Here is what I think is going on. Some got emails, some did not. I fell into the latter category, no email. I believe they sent 400 emails to the ones they want to talk to and that they will get a ticket if they register. If they don't get 400 registrations they will probably go through the list and backfill. Time will tell.
So if you don’t get an email you are even further down the qualified list ? Wonder what one has to do with 8000TT , 1800 TPIC, Do, Safety Manager, MBA to be qualified to come to a job fair...

KPHayes
05-08-2018, 01:21 PM

My invite to apply for an invite to the job fair was in my junk mail.

JetDoc
05-08-2018, 01:56 PM
So if you don’t get an email you are even further down the qualified list ? Wonder what one has to do with 8000TT , 1800 TPIC, Do, Safety Manager, MBA to be qualified to come to a job fair...

I feel ya my friend it's just a theory. We have 24 year olds getting hired out of my shop who have never touched a tiller and can't even rent a car for that matter while really solid guys with plenty of TPIC, established work histories and an actual credit history can't get a sniff.

BobbyLeeSwagger
05-08-2018, 01:58 PM

It cant be that, I got an email. Im at 3500tt, 900 tpic, aviation degree after community college, a masters in unrelated subject, some volunteer work, and a snack basket auditor at my airline.

I'm 'low time' compared to many and dont have anything super special like LCA, safety etc. I just fly and have fun. I figure I am not quite there yet for an all out interview but hopefully close enough to be worth inviting to this job fair. You're much more competitive than me so I wouldn't read too much into not getting the email.

Happyflyer
05-08-2018, 03:46 PM
It cant be that, I got an email. Im at 3500tt, 900 tpic, aviation degree after community college, a masters in unrelated subject, some volunteer work, and a snack basket auditor at my airline.

I'm 'low time' compared to many and dont have anything super special like LCA, safety etc. I just fly and have fun. I figure I am not quite there yet for an all out interview but hopefully close enough to be worth inviting to this job fair. You're much more competitive than me so I wouldn't read too much into not getting the email.

You got an interview invite email, or a meet and greet the team? I assumed everyone with a recent app on file recived the meet and greet email. Mine was in my junk folder, which usually screens for mass marketing emails.
Now that I'am writing this I'am thinking there was some feature on the SW main careers page, not pilot credentials, about receiving emails for relevant positions, like it was some HR tool. Mabye not been filling out so many of those.

BobbyLeeSwagger
05-08-2018, 04:12 PM
You got an interview invite email, or a meet and greet the team? I assumed everyone with a recent app on file recived the meet and greet email. Mine was in my junk folder, which usually screens for mass marketing emails.
Now that I'am writing this I'am thinking there was some feature on the SW main careers page, not pilot credentials, about receiving emails for relevant positions, like it was some HR tool. Mabye not been filling out so many of those.

Yeah I just got the invite to register (pic above), it's a mystery why some people got it and some didn't. Maybe you're right about why, either way I dont think it's related to one's hours etc..

Sqwk7700
05-08-2018, 04:18 PM

I don’t think attending was a waste of time at all. Personally, I feel it was directly responsible for getting an interview (from which I was hired). The invite came a couple of weeks after the job fair and from the requisition number opened on the morning of the event.

Twinjetav8r
05-08-2018, 04:31 PM
I don’t think attending was a waste of time at all. Personally, I feel it was directly responsible for getting an interview (from which I was hired). The invite came a couple of weeks after the job fair and from the requisition number opened on the morning of the event.

Trust me, it’s not a waste of time. If you are qualified and what they are looking for, you might get an invite to interview. Just please don’t wear shorts or try to be “that guy”. Let your personality stand out.

Happyflyer
05-08-2018, 04:33 PM

That's what I've heard, that it is very productive. More so than the generic ones like WIA, or I'am gay too.

Peacock
05-08-2018, 06:05 PM
You guys are literally making up theories on the spot and then working each other into a frenzy. You don’t know what their selection criteria is.

PotatoChip
05-08-2018, 06:08 PM
You guys are literally making up theories on the spot and then working each other into a frenzy. You don’t know what their selection criteria is.

And?
This is what we do!!

Aviatormar
05-08-2018, 06:25 PM
Has anyone gotten a call from the latest application window?

J1180
05-08-2018, 08:15 PM

Not me....

Lotsof Blue
05-09-2018, 03:35 AM
Not me....

Crickets so far..

Tbpilot06
05-09-2018, 04:11 AM
Crickets so far..
Same crickets here

slough
05-09-2018, 07:16 AM

I know of at least two who have. Both are checkairmen. If you have what they are looking for the call is coming quickly after they submitted the app.

finhunter89
05-14-2018, 08:36 AM
Anyone know what the average age and hours of new hires these days are?

7Thirty7s4Life
05-14-2018, 09:46 AM
Anyone know what the average age and hours of new hires these days are?

40s, 8-18k

Sike
05-16-2018, 06:48 PM
More crickets. This is my second window. However I do appreciate their strategy of hiring highly experienced pilots.

SrfNFly227
05-30-2018, 05:52 AM
Any updates from people who may have received the call lately?

I have applied in 3 windows now. First shows closed. The last 2 still show Received Submission. I also applied to the pilot expo and did not receive an invite.

Tbpilot06
05-30-2018, 06:27 AM
Any updates from people who may have received the call lately?

I have applied in 3 windows now. First shows closed. The last 2 still show Received Submission. I also applied to the pilot expo and did not receive an invite.
No invite here either.. applied in last 6 windows.

Seventhreeseven
05-30-2018, 11:54 AM
I still stand by my previous statement. Can't wait til Rocky's gone and we can hire more civilian pilots. My HR buddy says many people at HQ are fed up with him and can't wait for him to go. But unfortunately they still say yes to his face.

Its a slap in the face to this pilot group that we can't even recommend anyone for a freakin job fair. Now Rocky's boys can select all their friends who have a call sign and can't fly an ILS

Tbpilot06
05-30-2018, 12:11 PM
I still stand by my previous statement. Can't wait til Rocky's gone and we can hire more civilian pilots. My HR buddy says many people at HQ are fed up with him and can't wait for him to go. But unfortunately they still say yes to his face.

Its a slap in the face to this pilot group that we can't even recommend anyone for a freakin job fair. Now Rocky's boys can select all their friends who have a call sign and can't fly an ILS
Good point. It’s the only airline that doesn’t consider personal recommendations to get an interview. Frustrating indeed as I have at least 4 SWA pilots recommending me and can’t even get an invite for an interview. I guess I could understand if I didn’t check boxes but I am able to check every box except military and check airman.

Tbpilot06
05-30-2018, 12:18 PM

All I hear is what Rocky says the company wants from people that work there. Then I look at my own qualifications and say “ I have leadership job experience, Safety Manager , turbine PIC, a masters degree, 5 type ratings ... yet can’t get selected for an interview.

Psycho18th
05-30-2018, 12:52 PM
All I hear is what Rocky says the company wants from people that work there. Then I look at my own qualifications and say “ I have leadership job experience, Safety Manager , turbine PIC, a masters degree, 5 type ratings ... yet can’t get selected for an interview.
Have you had a bunch of folks check over your application? Maybe pay to have a pro look at it? I’m not sure anyone really knows what the magic formula is, but accuracy and attention to detail on the app certainly increase your chances.

As a former mil fighter guy, I can tell you there’s no magic line to Rocky’s desk or an interview invite. No one can recommend you one way or the other until you get the interview. Even then, any number of recs from folks you flew with won’t save you from a bad interview.

To a man, every pilot in my newhire class was an outstanding pilot and an outstanding person on paper and in person. It’s truly humbling the talent walking in that door from every background.

The whole civ-mil angst spewed on this board is getting pretty f-ing old. Ignore it, because there’s nothing you can do about it. Just keep applying, keep improving, keep trying to be that guy you say you are to an interview panel. All the rest is just luck and timing.

On that note...Good luck in your journey.

torpid0
05-30-2018, 06:40 PM
FYI, my class was made up of 1/3 military, 1/3 121 and 1/3 corporate. Very well balanced and not a single douche bag in the group.

PotatoChip
05-30-2018, 07:00 PM
FYI, my class was made up of 1/3 military, 1/3 121 and 1/3 corporate. Very well balanced and not a single douche bag in the group.

Seems this is very consistent every class. Hoping to join one!!

WacoQCF
05-30-2018, 07:20 PM
Well, all I can say is keep your head up and don't abandon hope.

Military vet, but not a military aviator; BS degree, CFI and RJ pilot, now a low hour 747 ACMI dawg. 4000'ish hours, less than 1000 TPIC. Never a Check Airman or Chief Pilot. There is apparently a small window for 40 y/o civilians.

After failing to earn an invite to the SWA job fair, I kicked dirt and decided that my name and date of birth combo had driven the algorithm to permanently reject me. After 8 years of applying faithfully to every window, and frequently updating my application - this was near the final straw for me, as I got the reserve job fair notice.

On May 25th I received an interview invite from the April 8th window...an interview invite. I'll be headed to Dallas on June 12th, and options were available for June 12 to 14 both 8am and noon to choose from.

Advice: I am now scrambling to add up hours for every single different airplane I have ever flown, and making all of my individual numbers match my total numbers. This is something you can and should do now. Go get some professional application and resume reviews....and then wait.

Best of luck to those aspiring to go to SWA, I'm humbled by the opportunity and challenge that lies a few days ahead. It is just an interview, but at least its a foot in the door.

C130driver
05-30-2018, 07:22 PM

I’m sorry us mil guys can’t fly the mighty ILS as well as you! Watch out folks we have a badass here!

Peacock
05-30-2018, 07:40 PM
I’m sorry us mil guys can’t fly the mighty ILS as well as you! Watch out folks we have a badass here!
They actually removed the ILS from Navy flight training. Too many guys were washing out. Those things are the most challenging maneuver an aviator could ever aspire to master. I hope I can figure it out one day.

terminal
05-30-2018, 07:47 PM

Most airlines understand that Military flight school is very selective, standardized, and structured. Unlike Jim Bob’s BBQ, tire, and flight school shop or whatever backwoods FBO you got your private.

slough
05-31-2018, 02:06 AM
Well, all I can say is keep your head up and don't abandon hope.

Military vet, but not a military aviator; BS degree, CFI and RJ pilot, now a low hour 747 ACMI dawg. 4000'ish hours, less than 1000 TPIC. Never a Check Airman or Chief Pilot. There is apparently a small window for 40 y/o civilians.

After failing to earn an invite to the SWA job fair, I kicked dirt and decided that my name and date of birth combo had driven the algorithm to permanently reject me. After 8 years of applying faithfully to every window, and frequently updating my application - this was near the final straw for me, as I got the reserve job fair notice.

On May 25th I received an interview invite from the April 8th window...an interview invite. I'll be headed to Dallas on June 12th, and options were available for June 12 to 14 both 8am and noon to choose from.

Advice: I am now scrambling to add up hours for every single different airplane I have ever flown, and making all of my individual numbers match my total numbers. This is something you can and should do now. Go get some professional application and resume reviews....and then wait.

Best of luck to those aspiring to go to SWA, I'm humbled by the opportunity and challenge that lies a few days ahead. It is just an interview, but at least its a foot in the door.

Congrats! Was there anything you added recently that might have triggered your interview? Just trying to figure out strategy to get the call.

at6d
05-31-2018, 02:18 AM
I can’t stress enough to update the credentials page often. Put something in every box, even if it’s an “N/A”. Make sure your medical is current. Update your available date, flight times, whatever.

For those who don’t know, there are two places you need to apply—the Pilot Credentials page AND the SWA careers page.

The recent job fair invitations selected the best qualified guys to fill the slots—it is definitely a way for them to weed out prospective candidates for an interview and thus be more successful in hiring those that interview. How many went out? Like 400?

For those with a hang up on military folks—at least you can rest assured that invites aren’t based on the “squadron buddy” method. That being said, once you interview, your internals can rally for you by walking in a resume or emailing directly to a chief, plus submitting the internal recs.

It seems that passing the computer is the hardest part. It’s an algorithm and a point system.

If you have not received the TBNT email, you aren’t out.

Hampton
06-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Crickets here too. Does everyone else’s app say “please check all sections of your profile for accuracy”? I check it every month when I update it, but it still has me stressed I’m missing something.

btodd77
06-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Crickets here too. Does everyone else’s app say “please check all sections of your profile for accuracy”? I check it every month when I update it, but it still has me stressed I’m missing something.

Hampton,
The "check all sections" is a catch all statement. As long as you have the green checkmarks you are good to go.
BT

flensr
06-08-2018, 08:58 PM

If you're actually worried, spend a few bucks to have checked and set or careertakeoff look at the app and resume. Write it off on your taxes and you can even get a few of those bucks back at the end of the year.

Sqwk1200
06-09-2018, 05:31 PM

If this is a serious post, you are a disgrace to SWA. You should take all new FOs and do your best to help them, regardless of their background.

Seventhreeseven
06-09-2018, 08:35 PM
I do help them. I just have to help them a lot more. And they come out thinking their **** don't stink.

BigWillyCapt
06-11-2018, 07:42 AM
I do help them. I just have to help them a lot more. And they come out thinking their **** don't stink.

So if you were SWA you would rather have 2 single-seat, center-line thrust, military guys paired together and let them figure it all out on their own? That makes sense. All the Mil guys I have met here have been good guys. Sounds like you are just trolling for a fight.

Hampton
06-15-2018, 05:32 AM
Hampton,
The "check all sections" is a catch all statement. As long as you have the green checkmarks you are good to go.
BT

If you're actually worried, spend a few bucks to have checked and set or careertakeoff look at the app and resume. Write it off on your taxes and you can even get a few of those bucks back at the end of the year.

Thanks guys, I’ll pull the trigger on the application review. Are Careertakeoff and Checked and Set Southwest focused?

Hobbit64
06-15-2018, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys, I’ll pull the trigger on the application review. Are Careertakeoff and Checked and Set Southwest focused?

The lady who owns Career Takeoff used to work in SWA HR and developed the LOI.
Good product from them.

Auburngrad2007
06-15-2018, 01:16 PM
Can anyone give me a rough estimate how often the hiring window opens up on thw job portal? And also when it was last open?

I obviously missed applying on the portal.

at6d
06-22-2018, 04:28 PM
Anyone have no indication of a background check yet still get a call?

NarcolepticAV8R
06-22-2018, 05:32 PM
Can anyone give me a rough estimate how often the hiring window opens up on thw job portal? And also when it was last open?

I obviously missed applying on the portal.

It’s roughly every 3 months.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1