Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : AA ab initio

Varsity
04-24-2018, 09:19 AM
Here we go! One (1500hr) legislative amendment from flooding AA with 250 hour pilots.

Cadet Academy | American Airlines (http://www.aacadetacademy.com/)

TheOcho
04-24-2018, 10:12 AM
Here I was having my coffee, pondering my next career move and wondering if the majors could **** on the regionals and their pilots any more......I was wrong.

Stratapilot
04-24-2018, 10:17 AM
mmm nothing says “AA you’re missing the point” like a 20 year 650 a month loan obligation with a total cost of $183,000 at the outset of ones career.

Oh and lest we forget:

“At the end of the deferment period (42 months), any unpaid interest will be added to your principal balance.”

That an additional 9500 of interest added on to the loans principal balance before you even make payments.

Oh and Discover loans are the absolute fu.king WORST loan provider you can go with. Absolutely usurious awful company.

ceelo
04-24-2018, 10:47 AM
I don't have an opinion one way or the other but I'm just here for the tea

TJBrass
04-24-2018, 10:49 AM
"Acceptance into this program does not constitute an offer of employment from American Airlines or any of its subsidiaries, nor does it guarantee loan funding."

AZFlyer
04-24-2018, 11:41 AM
"Acceptance into this program does not constitute an offer of employment from American Airlines or any of its subsidiaries, nor does it guarantee loan funding."
So you have to pass an interview in DFW just for the eventual chance to still have to interview with a WO, then pass that interview, pass that training, and then keep your nose clean and your fingers crossed for the better part of a decade hoping that you'll flow to AA.

Am I reading this right? Wow, what a deal!

Frip
04-24-2018, 01:02 PM
Or one could spend the same money, take out the same loans, pay the same interest and payment, and then apply for the same job without whatever benefits or advantages the program offers.

If one is in the program/pipeline, one can treat it as the safety net, and still pursue whatever other opportunities one wants to along the way.

Glad I done did all that already, but times are much better for pilots and prospective pilots now than basically ever. All the nostalgic b.s. aside, this is a much better path and a much better opportunity at little to no more actual real dollar cost than thirty-something years ago.

So what if they don't get to instruct for $9 per flight hour with no benefits or fly checks in a runout Aztec for $90/12 hour duty 8 hour flying day or do 90 hrs/mo in a Metro for $840 per.

They'll have their own stories to tell the new generation when their time comes.

R57 relay
04-24-2018, 03:24 PM
AA should start a 135 operation flying point to point in places that no one would otherwise buy a ticket on(AVL-RDU). 250 hour F/Os and 1200 hour captains. Subsidize the losses to get people and pilots flying.

Al Czervik
04-24-2018, 04:02 PM
AA should start a 135 operation flying point to point in places that no one would otherwise buy a ticket on(AVL-RDU). 250 hour F/Os and 1200 hour captains. Subsidize the losses to get people and pilots flying.

AVL-RDU? We’d have retired CLT CA’s on that job like a bum on a ham sandwich! ;)

450knotOffice
04-24-2018, 04:44 PM
AVL-RDU? We’d have retired CLT CA’s on that job like a bum on a ham sandwich! ;)

Hahahaha!!!

DenainaPilot
04-24-2018, 04:53 PM
This is not ab initio, not even a “scholarship”/tuition assistance with strings attached.

Cactusone
04-24-2018, 05:36 PM
1.This is a diversity program.
2.This sounds like a bad diversity program that takes your money.

tinman1
04-24-2018, 08:39 PM
AA sure does seem quite intent on meeting future staffing needs by hiring those who choose the path of least resistance. Makes you wonder what the negotiating environment will be like when all of the flow babies hit the line.

evrbodysmugglin
04-25-2018, 02:54 AM
AA sure does seem quite intent on meeting future staffing needs by hiring those who choose the path of least resistance. Makes you wonder what the negotiating environment will be like when all of the flow babies hit the line.

Probably pretty good.
8+ years of getting shat on at the WO
10000 plus hours of flying
8000 Command
Generally ****ed
Can’t spot a bad deal a mile away

I would take a “flow baby” anyday over someone who’s never been outside the O club if it was for voting on a contract

Of course this is Assuming the widebody colonels don’t sell out all the scope for a few pennies

Frip
04-25-2018, 12:08 PM

IMO, not so much...
They have to say that.

IMO it is a first step attempt to insert some screening and maybe some "discipline" and order into the only major non-military pipeline that exists anymore.

Interview preference, some benefits and some intangible access for lack of a better word in exchange for wearing a uniform and keeping their nose clean. Might cut down on the stupid shyte.

Doesn't obligate either party to anything concrete, other than the student being obligated to pay off the loans, which they would be anyway.

Frip
04-25-2018, 12:10 PM
fwiw... I [I]love [I] flying with our flows.

Yes... Everyone else is fine too, once they settle in to the airline gig.

drinksonme
04-25-2018, 02:29 PM
All this seems like to me is a way to keep the regionals staffed, not AA. Highly doubt they don’t have a stack of applications

Keep the WO’s staffed, keep the leverage if the economy downturns or a crisis happens. It’s scope leverage, that is all. Parksom will never let the regional model die......that’s what this awful program is all about, not staffing AA.

Al Czervik
04-25-2018, 02:44 PM
Probably pretty good.
8+ years of getting shat on at the WO
10000 plus hours of flying
8000 Command
Generally ****ed
Can’t spot a bad deal a mile away

I would take a “flow baby” anyday over someone who’s never been outside the O club if it was for voting on a contract

Of course this is Assuming the widebody colonels don’t sell out all the scope for a few pennies

Spot on brother.

Varks
04-25-2018, 06:13 PM
Expensive proposition.

I find all wholly owned flow through pilots very educated in the industry. A far cry from the old school pilots (Captains I used to fly with) that thought our contract was superior to any other carrier. A breath of fresh air our flow through pilots are. Our contract is worse than some of the wholly owned carriers. If you fly with these great aviators then you know the future is bright.

TrinityDawn
05-04-2018, 09:10 AM

Ironically, having freshly minted commercial pilot’s fly with retired CA’s would probably be one of the best “training” opportunities ever. Especially if they are on the fast track to the left seat of an RJ, the experience would be invaluable.

Cactusone
10-03-2018, 09:57 AM

Hey first cadet class is on jetnet.

Arado 234
10-03-2018, 05:40 PM
This whole ab initio got the Lufthansa logo all over it.

jcountry
10-04-2018, 04:38 AM
I’ll certainly take a flow vote on a contract over whatever in hell got us the current dumpster fire we call the JCBA.

I have had several captains say something along the lines of “sorry. I voted yes because my career sucked. Now it’s your turn.”

Those kind of folks just need to retire. Right now. Before they get something else to vote on.

I’ll take any and all flows over that attitude all day every day!

Arado 234
10-05-2018, 12:32 PM
I’ll certainly take a flow vote on a contract over whatever in hell got us the current dumpster fire we call the JCBA.

I have had several captains say something along the lines of “sorry. I voted yes because my career sucked. Now it’s your turn.”

Those kind of folks just need to retire. Right now. Before they get something else to vote on.

Remember that we have people here that stated that commuting IS a choice, the j/s not for commuting, last leg trip swap unethical/stupid/communist, and no sense to include the j/s in the aircraft weight limit. Some of those replies are from colleagues decades away from retiring.

If you beg to differ, have a read over on C&R.

atpcliff
10-06-2018, 03:48 AM
I think that this AA program, as well as the JetBlue cadet program, could be really great. To fix it, they need to hire these cadets as full employees, and pay for all of their training, just like Our Military (and many major foreign airlines) does...then it will be a great program.

RhinoBallAuto
10-06-2018, 08:36 AM
I think that this AA program, as well as the JetBlue cadet program, could be really great. To fix it, they need to hire these cadets as full employees, and pay for all of their training, just like Our Military (and many major foreign airlines) does...then it will be a great program.

They won't want to take the risk that the cadets will walk once the training is complete. It's a very large capital investment, and they want to make sure they get a return. What would keep them from going to DL or FX after getting ratings? Brand loyalty? They are creating a hedge on their investment by creating indentured servants...