Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Mononucleosis

F50driver
04-27-2018, 02:31 AM
Unfortunately I got this disease when I was 30 and there is still some controversy about it. Fact is that when you get it as a child it won't affect as much as with adults.

As soon I recovered I finished my flight training, got hired by an LCC, flew 6 years. Left aviation because I was worn out. Came back to the regionals only to find out that it still affects me. Initial training up to and finishing ioe goes always well but not much later I hit a point that I quickly get overloaded due fatigue. I care about safety of others and it's our responsibility to be fit for duty and I don't like to call in sick. Therefore I resigned. If I look back there was definitely a difference between before I got sick and after in performance.
Not visible to other's. But I noticed I have to work harder. Hence I get tired quicker.

So far doctor's cannot find anything and the only advice I get is take more rest.

When I flew part 135 it didn't affect me that much.

Since part-time positions are not available in the part 121 world I am thinking to close that chapter (incl. Major's).

Got a job with a 135 cargo operator.
There will be long days but at least I will fly less, can go seasonal, part-time etc..

Unfortunately along my pilot buddies seems to be little understanding that with my Airline experience I am choosing this path.

I am posting this because I am wondering if someone ever has been in a similar condition and what solution did you find?

Thanks,

WhisperJet
04-27-2018, 06:34 AM
Ever have a sleep study done?

F50driver
04-27-2018, 08:19 AM
Ever have a sleep study done?

Not yet but thanks for the heads up!

TroutBum
04-27-2018, 11:45 AM
Did your docs do any testing for thyroid problems or testosterone levels? I got tested when I was having bad fatigue issues and found I had very low T levels.

F50driver
04-27-2018, 01:33 PM
Did your docs do any testing for thyroid problems or testosterone levels? I got tested when I was having bad fatigue issues and found I had very low T levels.

Thanks for mentioning, should have thought about it since my wife has been diagnosed as well.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1