Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Whatís the better option?

R44KA
04-27-2018, 02:27 PM
Wondering the better option to get to southwest.
King air captain for a 135 operation, or jet time from a part 91 operation.

slimothy
04-27-2018, 02:43 PM
Wondering the better option to get to southwest.
King air captain for a 135 operation, or jet time from a part 91 operation.

Depends on where you need to improve your stats, in my opinion. How are you doing with PIC? TT? I know a bunch of guys who got here with no jet time, but I donít know anybody who got here without turbine PIC. YMMV

e6bpilot
04-27-2018, 03:35 PM
Part 91 is a tough sell from the hiring perspective. You are hiring a virtual unknown. When you pay to get your check rides from FS and have one supervisor and a couple of coworkers, sometimes the end result may he someone who may have slipped through the cracks.
There are many here hired with part 91 time, but only a few with ONLY part 91 time (there was one in my class, but he was very well connected at swa. I spoke to a background checker at length about this and he said it is very tough to get a read on corporate guys.

Squallrider
04-27-2018, 04:08 PM
Have u considered part 121? Itís the fastest way to build flight time and upgrade at many carriers is very short if you have the time, plus huge bonuses being offered.

PowerShift
04-27-2018, 05:38 PM
Part 91 is a tough sell from the hiring perspective. You are hiring a virtual unknown. When you pay to get your check rides from FS and have one supervisor and a couple of coworkers, sometimes the end result may he someone who may have slipped through the cracks.
There are many here hired with part 91 time, but only a few with ONLY part 91 time (there was one in my class, but he was very well connected at swa. I spoke to a background checker at length about this and he said it is very tough to get a read on corporate guys.

My experience and research was the same as above. 135/121 means you were doing rides with the feds, not always the case in 135, but more often then not.

ZapBrannigan
04-27-2018, 06:23 PM
Lots of opinions here from guys who have never flown Fortune 500 Part 91... [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tbpilot06
05-03-2018, 07:00 PM
Because all part 91 pilots are incompetent. At least we arenít checked by our own company.

HwkrPlt
05-04-2018, 04:52 AM
91/135 guys are pretty much required to have good customer service skills. That's something that can't be taught, vs pretty much anyone can be taught how to fly an airplane.

Tbpilot06
05-04-2018, 05:50 AM
91/135 guys are pretty much required to have good customer service skills. That's something that can't be taught, vs pretty much anyone can be taught how to fly an airplane.
I agree 100%.

at6d
05-04-2018, 08:41 AM
Lots of opinions here from guys who have never flown Fortune 500 Part 91...

Agreed.

There are many in the 91 arena that operate all over the world. It brings a different skill set from 121.

e6bpilot
05-05-2018, 11:22 AM
Because all part 91 pilots are incompetent. At least we arenít checked by our own company.

Not what I was getting at at all. I was just reporting what a background checker told me. He has been doing it for several years and spoke to corporate guys very much being an unknown quantity in terms of having multiple folks to reference and cross reference their performance and ability to fit in. As you all know, once you are hired at a union part 121 shop, you are pretty much tenured until you hit 65 or crash an airplane.
I just finished flying two days with a captain who had no business being in this job, but there he was, about to retire a millionaire. He was a military guy, btw.
I know lots of part 91 only guys and theyíre all great pilots and are doing very well in the company. One is a personal friend and commutes out of my commuter city. I am just saying that if you only have part 91, it may be hindering your ability to get on at a 121 carrier and that is why.
I have zero corporate experience, so I canít speak to how flying in a corporate flight department even works. No insult intended by me.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1