Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commute Orlando to Miami

EricJin
04-27-2018, 03:43 PM
Anyone here do this or have done this commute? Flight time is about an hour but is it worth it living in busy Miami where traffic itself can be over an hour?

chrisreedrules
04-27-2018, 04:38 PM
I donít do this commute with any regularity but Iíve done it more than a few times and Iíve spoken with a couple of pilots who regularly make this commute... From my understanding and experience it is completely hit or miss. Sometimes the flights are oversold by like 40 revenue standbys and you wonít get on and other times it will be way oversold and you will end up making it on. A couple I know who do make this commute rent a car and drive from time to time because itís like $30 out the door. Not impossible but itís a fair bet that almost any MIA or MCO commute from anywhere else in Florida is going to be tough.

Bigpimppilot
04-27-2018, 05:48 PM
Buy a Prius. Youíll always have a seat and will stop stressing about the flights always being slammed. Seriously. On average just driving will save you time when you take into account wasted time at the airport. Has anyone mentioned that Orlando tsa is just stupid with their special policies. Hopefully that part has changed

brokepilot2
04-27-2018, 08:42 PM
Iíve been #69 on the standby list going from MIA-MCO. Just drive, it will make your life a lot less stressful.

in2deep
04-28-2018, 06:45 AM
Buy a Prius. Youíll always have a seat and will stop stressing about the flights always being slammed. Seriously. On average just driving will save you time when you take into account wasted time at the airport. Has anyone mentioned that Orlando tsa is just stupid with their special policies. Hopefully that part has changed

Havent had any issue with MCO TSA. Only when I got yelled at for going the wrong way when they moved KCM 😂

SoFloFlyer
04-28-2018, 08:27 AM
Not sure what youíre chances on getting on a flight looks like, but I know AA has two flight from MCO to MIA. Same thing for Delta. From the above posts, it would like driving is the best thing to do. I personally lived in Orlando and currently live in Miami. The Miami traffic really isnít that bad, just time it right going into the airport and youíll be fine. Iím not a 121 pilot, but have flown out of both airports enough to know their kinks. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding anything other than commuting on a plane.

SonicFlyer
04-28-2018, 08:31 AM
It's a 4 hour drive.

Silver has flights from MCO to MIA.

In the near future there will be high speed rail between the two cities.

Lakota
04-28-2018, 08:58 AM
Itís an ok commute IMO. Used my commuter policy once so far in January. A lot of FAs seem to commute in from MCO to MIA so you gotta check in fast. Since last September, havenít had any issues taking the 0630 into MIA FWIW.

ChickHicks
04-28-2018, 11:58 AM
All I see are ~7 AA flights (mix of 73ís and ABís) and 1 delta flight a day. I canít find any silver flights. They use to do MCO-MIA years ago on the 1900.

EricJin
04-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Thanks guys for all the replies. I grew up in Miami and looking to have that as my base. Just not to sure about having a family there, other places like Orlando and Tampa look better but just not too sure if the commute is feasible.

Bigpimppilot
04-28-2018, 05:23 PM
Donít do Tampa. The drive is so much worse and canít be used really as a last resort. Side note, there are many more jacked up trucks with confederate bumper stickers in tampa

ColdAndDark
04-30-2018, 07:51 PM
I commute TPA to MIA regularly and yes it is a relatively full commute but have never had a problem making it on. Also the drive from Tampa is almost identical drive time wise as from Orlando plus taking i75 is easier than 95. And Tampa bay is great area to have a family or plant some roots. Iím closer to the beach than Tampa though.

ChickHicks
05-01-2018, 03:40 AM
Anybody know how the MCO-CLT commute is?

FloridaLarry
05-01-2018, 05:34 AM
...In the near future there will be high speed rail between the two cities.

Don't hold your breath. Brightline (yeah, they really called it that!) currently runs from Miami to Ft Lauderdale, has for a few months of operation. Their great plans are to continue it north up the coast on existing Florida East Coast RR track, then hang a left on new track direct to MCO.

The local communities along the way are seriously opposed. The RR folk didn't stop to think about having any stations on this section, to actually benefit these guys. Newspapers are running repeated stories about people killed by the trains, since there are a bucketload of grade crossings. (The reality is a combination of under-reported incidents by the RRs, suicide-by-train and Darwin-Award winners who think they can beat the trains!) Ambulance and fire truck drivers are pointing out the delays waiting for trains in an emergency. The RR folks are trying to stick the local municipalities with the cost of upgrading and maintaining these crossings. The RR is trying to make sure that taxpayers are on the hook for costs and overruns.

IMHO, the whole thing is a very expensive way to upgrade the RR systems for freight, since that's the way they make money, and the southern ports have recently been dredged for more & bigger ocean shipping.

Get that Prius, and renew your prescription for Valium.

Bigpimppilot
05-01-2018, 05:58 AM
A charged Volt would give better acceleration and mpg on that route