Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New Hires after IOE

flyboy94
04-28-2018, 04:15 PM
Hey guys I got my LOE next week and was wondering what you line captains see new FO's screw up on often out on the line and why! I was hoping to get some feedback and see what most of us newbs struggle with on the transition to actual line flying. Thanks and cannot wait to be out there flying the actual plane instead of the SIM.

poorflyer
04-28-2018, 05:15 PM
If you're gonna use the Velcro bag strap, release it before you leave the airplane.

Leave the seat in a suitable height and distance. Move the rudder pedals about halfway back.

Clean your trash, especially crumbs in the little phone holder thing.

As for flying, try out FPA and VS and notice the difference from FLCH. A 290 knot FLCH is gonna make a scared captain.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-28-2018, 06:56 PM
Haha fun question

1. Never say 'disregard' when the VTA chimes on a vnav climb and you're in green flch. I will throw biscoff cookies at you

2. Don't bug FAs for in flight meals 30 minutes into the flight or they will roll their eyes and so will I

3. Don't land better than me on day 1 or I will start quizzing you on memory items and limitations while you're trying to hand fly on your next approach.

4. Dont do 10 minute 'briefs' on the IRNMN into lax. Oh and it's called the (irna-mirna), if you make the approach brief a state of the union address, I will debrief you starting with your takeoff, especially if you have a commute to catch

I'll think of more stuff.

Dude main thing, show up humble ready to learn and have fun

flyboy94
04-28-2018, 06:59 PM
Haha fun question

1. Never say 'disregard' when the VTA chimes on a vnav climb and you're in green flch. I will throw biscoff cookies at you

2. Don't bug FAs for in flight meals 30 minutes into the flight or they will roll their eyes and so will I

3. Don't land better than me on day 1 or I will start quizzing you on memory items and limitations while you're trying to hand fly on your next approach.

4. Dont do 10 minute 'briefs' on the IRNMN into lax. Oh and it's called the (irna-mirna), if you make the approach brief a state of the union address, I will debrief you starting with your takeoff, especially if you have a commute to catch

Thats what I plan on doing, always ready and willing to learn new things especially to make myself a better pilot. No promises on the landings! :)

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-28-2018, 07:01 PM
Thats what I plan on doing, always ready and willing to learn new things especially to make myself a better pilot. No promises on the landings! :)

Glad you're here dude, we need you guys out here! Hurry up lol

flyboy94
04-28-2018, 07:33 PM
Glad you're here dude, we need you guys out here! Hurry up lol
Trust me when I get about 6 critical pay emails a day I want to be out there. I've been able to get through training quicker than others it seems, but I've been waiting two weeks for my LOFT and LOE so I hope that part gets better so we get more FO's out on the line to help out.

poorflyer
04-28-2018, 09:14 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/29awab.jpg

VIRotate
04-28-2018, 11:51 PM
Everything that has been said is great advise but really, my .02...

1. Learn when FLCH and FPA/VS is appropriate. The vertical planning part of the PFD is a great tool.

2. Slow down early, don't be afraid to use boards. Eventually you will get comfortable with the airplane and keep it faster and faster.

3. Ask your CA if he/she has any tips or things you could be doing better. I always told them I was new and would appreciate any advise. There are a hundred ways to fly this plane, take what you like and disregard what you don't.

4. If you ever feel behind the plane or lose situational awareness, don't wait until you are filing an ASAP. Speak up.

5. Ask plenty of questions. If you are PM and see the CA start pushing buttons, ask what he/she is doing.

6. If you use the side bag strap, be courteous and undo it. :mad:

7. Never remove the empty cup in the cup holder. It's there for a reason.

8. Always leave the cockpit clean and ready for the next person.

FlytheSky
04-29-2018, 05:19 AM
Haha fun question

I definitely say "disregard" whenever the VTA sounds and I'm in a green FLCH climb after ATC told us to climb unrestricted. Although no FO has thrown Biscoff cookies at me for saying it...

If the FO greases it on during their first landing of a multiple day trip, I take this as the gauntlet being thrown down and show them what a REAL greaser is because how will they ever respect my authoritay if they get the impression they're a better pilot than me? ;)

In all seriousness, though, attitude is everything. Give me a pilot who has a great attitude but makes me wonder how they passed their LOE long before you give me Chuck Yeager with a chip on his shoulder. I've absolutely loved flying with all the new FOs I've worked with. You guys (and gals) are the real MVP.

jungle driver
04-29-2018, 06:32 AM
Everything that has been said is great advise but really, my .02...

1. Learn when FLCH and FPA/VS is appropriate. The vertical planning part of the PFD is a great tool.

2. Slow down early, don't be afraid to use boards. Eventually you will get comfortable with the airplane and keep it faster and faster.

3. Ask your CA if he/she has any tips or things you could be doing better. I always told them I was new and would appreciate any advise. There are a hundred ways to fly this plane, take what you like and disregard what you don't.

4. If you ever feel behind the plane or lose situational awareness, don't wait until you are filing an ASAP. Speak up.

5. Ask plenty of questions. If you are PM and see the CA start pushing buttons, ask what he/she is doing.

6. If you use the side bag strap, be courteous and undo it. :mad:

7. Never remove the empty cup in the cup holder. It's there for a reason.

8. Always leave the cockpit clean and ready for the next person.

All of this is spot on! I'll just add that I have flown with a lot of very new guys over the last few weeks and I have been very impressed with all of them! I think the school house is doing an ok job of preparing guys. Like everyone else has said don't be afraid to ask questions and don't wait till its too late to ask for help. Other than that just make sure to have fun and enjoy one of the best jobs in the world!

yrbroom
04-29-2018, 08:06 AM
Ha, reading all this makes me feel so much better about jumping into my first real trip. It seems like a great group of people in the cockpit here. Hopefully joining Compass after my interview which is right around the corner. I want to be (part of) the Obi Wan to your Princess Leia.

UhOh
04-29-2018, 09:03 AM

This one took me way too long to get right. The name that is, really gotta get the pronunciation right or you'll hear about it on the ground.

Also, as a current FO I find it very useful to pillage the basket before each flight and save up all the fudge covered Oreos for when the captain is having a rough day. It always turns things around up front.

But in all seriousness welcome to the show. Hope you enjoy your stay as much as I have.

Poser765
04-29-2018, 09:09 AM
Ha, reading all this makes me feel so much better about jumping into my first real trip. It seems like a great group of people in the cockpit here. Hopefully joining Compass after my interview which is right around the corner. I want to be (part of) the Obi Wan to your Princess Leia.Compass has a pretty unique work group... One I haven't experienced elsewhere. The airline has its problems, of course, but one if them is definitely NOT coworkers. We are helpful, easy going, and friendly. Also a very tight group. I know several people on this board personally...and while some here can be kind of crazy we are still family.

week
04-29-2018, 10:00 AM
Things I noticed when I was in IOE:

1. if it seems like the captain is pretty much flying you, thatís ok. Itís IOE. Easy to feel disheartened when the captain is constantly saying ďif I were you, Iíd ___Ē. Thatís cool, learn all you can and take those tips with a ďthank youĒ. It doesnít mean you suck, youíre just new. (I had never flown a jet or an autopilot. Believe me I got a lot of Ďtipsí)

2. Those easy level-vectors-to-final sim approaches are no more. You are much more Ďon your owní for approach planning and getting to proper altitudes. Mind the cyan glideslope diamond from the ILS, even if youíre not using it yet. Itís a great cue to how youíre doing vertically. I personally never want to be above it especially if fast.

3. Make sure glideslope intercept happens. There are a million ways to screw it up (believe me Iíve screwed it up a million ways) but noticing it immediately will prevent an ugly catch-up. Pay attention to the FMA and be sure your next mode is armed. Know when it captures and how it will behave once itís in GS mode. Scroll your MAP altitude once itís in GS as a habit.

4. You may be used to clicking the PREV button to pull up a preview needle then setting the approach course. This is fine, BUT if you also brought up a preview needle while doing the departure brief (briefing an engine fail course), and you click the PREV button again while preparing for the approach, now youíre in LOC1, and youíll get yellow needles at a bad time. So make sure youíre in LOC2 on the preview needle. Also if you get yellow needles, itís not an emergency, correcting it will click the autopilot into ROLL (if youíre flying) so just reset it quickly (as youíll probably be intercepting). Your captains have seen this and will help too.

5. Slowing or getting down - flaps 1 and boards is very effective. Flaps 2 is awkward because you canít use boards and sometimes will have trouble slowing to flap 3 speed. Itís IOE, use the gear early or ask for advice. Donít feel pressured to slow and configure at the last second because your captain does.

6. I came from a Cessna and thought you had to Ďcatch the third wireí with these things. Nope, you can flare all you want*. Make it smoothish at least

7. Mind load factor. If youíre closer to the low speed tapes, a turn will really make those low speed limits climb up the speed tape. Donít be afraid to throw in Flaps 1 before making a turn, or during a turn. Be agressive if something isnít doing what you want. Override the AP if you think nesseccary.

8. If youíre going to use boards, move the lever slowly. It grinds my gears flying with CAs that slap the lever out and let the plane lurch down. Someone in the back might be terrified of flying and thereís no reason to not fly as smooth as you can.

9. Descent planning and VNAV is very complex. Relentlessly ask your CAs about it. Learn all you can, they love to teach.

10. In IOE I kept finding these cups in the cup holders and removing them. No one told me the crime I was committing. Leave the cups!

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-29-2018, 10:08 AM
Things I noticed when I was in IOE:

1. if it seems like the captain is pretty much flying you, thatís ok. Itís IOE. Easy to feel disheartened when the captain is constantly saying ďif I were you, Iíd ___Ē. Thatís cool, learn all you can and take those tips with a ďthank youĒ. It doesnít mean you suck, youíre just new. (I had never flown a jet or an autopilot. Believe me I got a lot of Ďtipsí)

2. Those easy level-vectors-to-final sim approaches are no more. You are much more Ďon your owní for approach planning and getting to proper altitudes. Mind the cyan glideslope diamond from the ILS, even if youíre not using it yet. Itís a great cue to how youíre doing vertically. I personally never want to be above it especially if fast.

3. Make sure glideslope intercept happens. There are a million ways to screw it up (believe me Iíve screwed it up a million ways) but noticing it immediately will prevent an ugly catch-up. Pay attention to the FMA and be sure your next mode is armed. Know when it captures and how it will behave once itís in GS mode. Scroll your MAP altitude once itís in GS as a habit.

4. You may be used to clicking the PREV button to pull up a preview needle then setting the approach course. This is fine, BUT if you also brought up a preview needle while doing the departure brief (briefing an engine fail course), and you click the PREV button again while preparing for the approach, now youíre in LOC1, and youíll get yellow needles at a bad time. So make sure youíre in LOC2 on the preview needle. Also if you get yellow needles, itís not an emergency, correcting it will click the autopilot into ROLL (if youíre flying) so just reset it quickly (as youíll probably be intercepting). Your captains have seen this and will help too.

5. Slowing or getting down - flaps 1 and boards is very effective. Flaps 2 is awkward because you canít use boards and sometimes will have trouble slowing to flap 3 speed. Itís IOE, use the gear early or ask for advice. Donít feel pressured to slow and configure at the last second because your captain does.

6. I came from a Cessna and thought you had to Ďcatch the third wireí with these things. Nope, you can flare all you want*. Make it smoothish at least

7. Mind load factor. If youíre closer to the low speed tapes, a turn will really make those low speed limits climb up the speed tape. Donít be afraid to throw in Flaps 1 before making a turn, or during a turn. Be agressive if something isnít doing what you want. Override the AP if you think nesseccary.

8. If youíre going to use boards, move the lever slowly. It grinds my gears flying with CAs that slap the lever out and let the plane lurch down. Someone in the back might be terrified of flying and thereís no reason to not fly as smooth as you can.

9. Descent planning and VNAV is very complex. Relentlessly ask your CAs about it. Learn all you can, they love to teach.

10. In IOE I kept finding these cups in the cup holders and removing them. No one told me the crime I was committing. Leave the cups!

Solid advice

poorflyer
04-29-2018, 10:11 AM
To add to point 5, it seems to be best to consider adding flaps 2 only after you've slowed below 200 knots. Flaps 2 doesn't add much more drag so if you're above 200 knots and go flaps 2 you put yourself in a corner where you no longer have spoilers to slow down and you can't go to flaps 3 until you're below 200 knots. Might as well get into the flap 3 zone before even adding flaps 2. Just my 2 cents though.

PressOff
04-29-2018, 10:14 AM
Don't yank the plane off the ground during rotation. These birds will fly off nice n' easy. Some guys new from the schoolhouse like to leap the airplane off the runway for some reason. Be gentle with her.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-29-2018, 10:24 AM
To add to point 5, it seems to be best to consider adding flaps 2 only after you've slowed below 200 knots. Flaps 2 doesn't add much more drag so if you're above 200 knots and go flaps 2 you put yourself in a corner where you no longer have spoilers to slow down and you can't go to flaps 3 until you're below 200 knots. Might as well get into the flap 3 zone before even adding flaps 2. Just my 2 cents though.

That's exactly right, I've done it, and see lots of people do it when they're new to the plane. You slow to 205 call for flaps 2 descending through 3500. The plane does nothing, maybe even speeds up to 207, now what? So you have to use gear lol or shallow descent momentarily.

Same scenario, but you use flaps 1 +boards to get to 190. Airplane will likely hold 190 with flaps 1 just fine, but now you are good to flaps 3 so you can use 2 whenever and be alright.

I was also gonna say, pay attention to the wind on your arrivals, especially the headwind/tailwind status. A tailwind 20+ kts will start to make it hard to slow down. If you got over 40, shallow the descent ahead of time and be prepared for lots of boards. Conversely, a headwind over 30kts will make slowing to speeds very easy and most likely boards will not needed. Anticipate turns on the arrival that will make your current crosswind turn into a nasty tailwind (bayst) for example on the IRNMN.

For slowing at a fix on the descent you can:

1. Use boards 3-7miles away depending on the wind/weight

2. Change descent angle in perf unit (more appropriate for arrivals with a tailwind over 40 kts)

3. Use vs or flch 12-15 mi away from the fix to 'duck under' the profile, then shallow descent and slowdown prior to reaching the fix

4. Build a point in the box prior to the fix using the rule of thumb 1mi/5 kts

As a general rule... It is better to come down and slow down, than slow down and come down, the latter is only used when ATC specifically request this... (slow to blah blah then descend..)

Poser765
04-29-2018, 11:07 AM
To add to point 5, it seems to be best to consider adding flaps 2 only after you've slowed below 200 knots. Flaps 2 doesn't add much more drag so if you're above 200 knots and go flaps 2 you put yourself in a corner where you no longer have spoilers to slow down and you can't go to flaps 3 until you're below 200 knots. Might as well get into the flap 3 zone before even adding flaps 2. Just my 2 cents though.I have a general rule of not calling for flaps 2 until I'm at 190...unless I KNOW a decent won't be an issue.

word302
04-29-2018, 11:25 AM
1. Memorize the Skywest FO creed

2. Recite it at the beginning of every trip

3. Revel in the glory that your captains will bestow upon you

4. Duck

poorflyer
04-29-2018, 11:31 AM

4. Duck

I'm gonna start saying the Skywest FO creed over the Ops radio in the eagles nest and hopefully one of the CRJ guys will join in with me.

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-29-2018, 11:40 AM
4. Duck

Ha! Yep, duck if you announce 'disregard' or 'warm up complete' on a 2 engine taxi. Haha, I thought I didn't have pet peeves, I guess I do. One FO I flew with got me to tell him my pet peeves so he could drive me crazy lol. You know who you are!!! I didn't have any biscoff cookies handy

VIRotate
04-29-2018, 03:10 PM

4. Duck

Ahh there he is! This made me chuckle though! 😂

FlytheSky
04-29-2018, 03:31 PM
Ha! Yep, duck if you announce 'disregard' or 'warm up complete' on a 2 engine taxi. Haha, I thought I didn't have pet peeves, I guess I do. One FO I flew with got me to tell him my pet peeves so he could drive me crazy lol. You know who you are!!! I didn't have any biscoff cookies handy

What about "nav is available" after ATC tells you to proceed direct to a fix when you've been flying a heading, and you've just agreed that it's in the box correctly? Does that also result in the "Delta Dodge"? ;)

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-29-2018, 03:33 PM
What about "nav is available" after ATC tells you to proceed direct to a fix when you've been flying a heading, and you've just agreed that it's in the box correctly? Does that also result in the "Delta Dodge"? ;)

Yeah that too :)

I'de just start also announcing 'heading available' on a delay vector; 'boards available' when instructed to slow; 'com 1 available' when given a frequency change

FlytheSky
04-29-2018, 03:44 PM

Overall excellent post. Just a few things to add.

3: I would add that if you happen to be level and have armed APP, you can set the missed altitude as well. That's what I do on times I am intercepting final while level (i.e. off the IRNMN in LAX, which I call the "Earn-Man"). Makes things a bit less hectic because you've planned ahead (and the airplane will hold altitude if it's in ALT despite what you have bugged in). But definitely have the missed dialed in when it's in GS for sure.

6: You put an asterisk after "flare all you want" but didn't put a disclaimer in. You're obviously familiar with the pitch attitude that the airplane will tail-strike at, but I didn't realize that technically flaring over 8 degrees nose-up is a failure item on a line check. Learned that from a check airman on my CA OE. That being said, just put it on centerline in the TDZ without making screws fall off, and I'll be a happy captain. And remember, happy captains (like happy cows) come from California. ;)

9: VNAV FLCH (or magenta FLCH whichever you prefer to call it) is your friend. Seriously, if ATC makes you want to slow down, and says you can be high while you're descending in PTH, just put it first in green FLCH and dial back the speed, which will cause the airplane to pitch for the speed (becoming high on the profile, but ATC cleared you to do that). Then the plane will begin to FLCH down at the assigned speed (descending as quickly as the plane will allow in that speed/configuration). Re-arm VNAV and hit FLCH again to get magenta FLCH, and then the plane will re-intercept the PTH when you've gotten back down to the profile. Works like a charm every time and saves a lot of your scan. Disclaimer: VNAV FLCH is not your friend if you're already below the VNAV PTH. But you'd probably have no reason to use it if you were below it already. ;)

I guess I proved your point that CAs like talking/teaching about descent planning. :D

FlytheSky
04-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Yeah that too :)

I'de just start also announcing 'heading available' on a delay vector; 'boards available' when instructed to slow; 'com 1 available' when given a frequency change

I'll start teaching my FOs to say "#2 available" after I tell them to "shut down 2" after landing. :p

poorflyer
04-29-2018, 05:52 PM
With all these tips new hires should pass quicker and be on the line asap, I love it.

FlytheSky
04-29-2018, 05:57 PM
With all these tips new hires should pass quicker and be on the line asap, I love it.

And hopefully fewer ASAPs as well! ;)

Poser765
04-29-2018, 07:32 PM
And hopefully fewer ASAPs as well! ;)Oh, it's the new Captains that generate ASAPs.

AirBat
04-30-2018, 10:08 AM
Missed approach altitude: on a visual approach it's not whatever is on the plate. It's traffic pattern altitude, or "otherwise assigned by tower". If you were cleared visual, stop setting "9100" in SLC. :)

FlytheSky
04-30-2018, 11:01 AM
Missed approach altitude: on a visual approach it's not whatever is on the plate. It's traffic pattern altitude, or "otherwise assigned by tower". If you were cleared visual, stop setting "9100" in SLC. :)

https://media.giphy.com/media/fjKUYm8N3GWdO/giphy.gif

Every visual approach I do, I have a habit of saying "visual backed up by the (ILS, RNAV GPS, etc)." In the absence of knowing what traffic pattern altitude is, and in the possibility that ATC might say "fly the published missed," I always set the missed altitude in the window. And yes, that includes setting 13,000' in RNO.

However, I always brief that it will "likely be assigned by tower" and know that the altitude could change if/when ATC gives us different missed approach instructions. But rather than trying to make a WAG about what ATC might give us, I'd rather have something that gives me concrete information (the approach plate that I'm using to back up the approach). I will 100% anticipate changing it in visual conditions, but I'd much rather have somewhere "official" to start with and then go from there, unless you can show me where the books say to do otherwise (and at least when I checked, I couldn't find anything about that).

AirBat
04-30-2018, 01:10 PM
It's been talked about in some of the ASAP newsletters and in the training department. It's much easier to level out and calmly change the alt to a higher one than bust thru when ATC gives you a low altitude that's only 2000 Agl and you've got 13000 set in the window. The matter of the fact is there's almost no VMC scenario in the US where they're going to tell you to fly the published so you may as well take a wag at a TPA.

adler
04-30-2018, 05:09 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/fjKUYm8N3GWdO/giphy.gif

Every visual approach I do, I have a habit of saying "visual backed up by the (ILS, RNAV GPS, etc)." In the absence of knowing what traffic pattern altitude is, and in the possibility that ATC might say "fly the published missed," I always set the missed altitude in the window. And yes, that includes setting 13,000' in RNO.

However, I always brief that it will "likely be assigned by tower" and know that the altitude could change if/when ATC gives us different missed approach instructions. But rather than trying to make a WAG about what ATC might give us, I'd rather have something that gives me concrete information (the approach plate that I'm using to back up the approach). I will 100% anticipate changing it in visual conditions, but I'd much rather have somewhere "official" to start with and then go from there, unless you can show me where the books say to do otherwise (and at least when I checked, I couldn't find anything about that).

Except there is no likely assigned...it 100% will be; a missed does not exist.

AIM says, "A visual approach is not an IAP and therefore has no missed approach segment. If a go around is necessary for any reason, aircraft operating at controlled airports will be issued an appropriate advisory/clearance/instruction by the tower".

Our manuals say on a visual to set an altitude above the airplane that wont cause nuisance chimes during approach and landing. So yea, you can set published missed approach, but its based on absolutely nothing whereas setting pattern altitude would be based on planning and situational awareness.

Which really leads me to the only true advice I have for a new hire. You're going to hear a lot of things. Once you're on the line, go back and reread the manuals. They'll make more sense after a few hours of flying. We aren't a company based on fact, we are a company based on what someone has told someone who once said to them. You'll see most of what the person in the left seat tells you is probably only partially true, non-existent, or even completely false. Reread the manuals.

AirBat
04-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Thanks for saying what I was trying to more eloquently. ;)

FlytheSky
04-30-2018, 05:28 PM
I'm of the opinion one of the most annoying Compass-isms is guys who FLCH to the FAF altitude without thinking about terrain or airspace (SJC comes to mind). Still waiting for that airport to become a special PIC airport since we can't do night visuals anymore...

And I agree on bugging an altitude that doesn't result in nuisance alerts, and that technically there's no missed approach segment in a visual approach. However, what I'm saying is bugging the missed approach altitude on the procedure you're using to back up the visual approach is not a bad place to start. Of course ATC can and likely will give you something different in visual conditions. I've never in my 3+ years at Compass seen anyone (FO or CA) do or even suggest doing what you two are describing with regards to bugging some "pattern altitude." I guess I could do a bunch of go arounds at various airports to see what the ATC procedure is at each, but I'd rather not do the extra work and paperwork intentionally. ;)

BobbyLeeSwagger
04-30-2018, 05:32 PM
FOs beware of captains,
They will lie to you! http://i63.tinypic.com/2zyaq2b.gif

FlytheSky
04-30-2018, 05:39 PM
Thought you were going to come in with this one, BobbyLee!

https://i.imgflip.com/29en45.jpg

ConfCodeCOOL
04-30-2018, 07:21 PM
https://i.imgur.com/6gdlfZD.jpg

PositveRate
05-01-2018, 07:27 AM
https://i.imgur.com/6gdlfZD.jpg

ROFL! This was great!

week
05-01-2018, 08:48 AM
Oh what a treat this entire page is :D

Also, new hires in IOE, whatís your seniority number range? Trying to see how far along we are in training

Fr8Thrust
05-01-2018, 10:16 AM
Some airlines set AFE, others set Zero, and some set TPA. Our books donít specify which...Enjoy!

Terrain
05-01-2018, 08:13 PM

Also, new hires in IOE, whatís your seniority number range? Trying to see how far along we are in training

Iím in the upper half of the 500ís.

Taco280AI
05-01-2018, 09:51 PM
Where do you find your seniority number? Total newb question, I know

WillFlyForSpam
05-01-2018, 11:11 PM

Very low 600ís, finished IOE last week, started in January. #madeit

week
05-02-2018, 08:44 AM
I mean like your unchanging number. Like Iím around 1180s

poorflyer
05-02-2018, 10:31 AM
I mean like your unchanging number. Like Iím around 1180s

They have a seniority list from April on comply that has real seniority numbers. Those numbers you're thinking of are kind of misleading because they're assigned on orientation and if people leave between then and now the numbers won't change, so there's not really 100 people between number 1100 and 1200.

week
05-02-2018, 09:27 PM
I understand this, Iím trying to see how far along we are in hiring/Training. For example Iím seeing the seniority list and vacancies with seniority numbers deep into the 1300s, Iím wondering how far along these guys are in Training.

I suppose i could just check the reserve lists and see what the most junior numbered guys we have on reserve are.... but the reserve lists look like this:

LAX FO 3 MAY:
-

Normally Iíd assume the DOH+4 months means theyíre hitting the line, but Iíve heard some nightmare stories

Slowhawk
05-05-2018, 12:33 PM
For the love of god, donít fold the top of the checklist to jam it into the yoke clip. Ruins the checklist and ruins the yoke clip

poorflyer
05-05-2018, 12:41 PM
For the love of god, donít fold the top of the checklist to jam it into the yoke clip. Ruins the checklist and ruins the yoke clip

How do you keep the checklist on a broken yoke clip then? I think you're correlating a broken yoke clip with a folded checklist, it's the other way around. The yoke clip was already broken so folding the checklist keeps pressure on the clip and holds it on.

FlytheSky
05-05-2018, 12:56 PM
I personally would have the printer spit out a bit of paper and fold it up to keep the pressure on and leave it on the yoke clip. Keeps the pressure on and doesn't bend the checklists.

VIRotate
05-05-2018, 02:11 PM
I personally would have the printer spit out a bit of paper and fold it up to keep the pressure on and leave it on the yoke clip. Keeps the pressure on and doesn't bend the checklists.

Yeah thatís too much work for me. Iíll tell you what, Iíll stop folding checklists when people stop leaving bagstraps strapped.

FlytheSky
05-05-2018, 03:04 PM
Yeah thatís too much work for me. Iíll tell you what, Iíll stop folding checklists when people stop leaving bagstraps strapped.

I am the undisputed king of unstrapping bag straps.

https://i.imgflip.com/29pynn.jpg

VIRotate
05-05-2018, 04:02 PM
I am the undisputed king of unstrapping bag straps.

https://i.imgflip.com/29pynn.jpg

Hahaha epic! 😂

TCASTESTOK
05-05-2018, 04:42 PM
Haha fun question

The biscoffs are SOOO GOOOD!!! also be careful opening chip bags in the 8k altitude cabin, if you force it you will send chips flying all over the place.

poorflyer
05-05-2018, 05:46 PM
The biscoffs are SOOO GOOOD!!! also be careful opening chip bags in the 8k altitude cabin, if you force it you will send chips flying all over the place.

To add to this. If you happen upon a first class meal that includes those little sealed cups of salad dressing, poke a hole through the top seal with the fork first before opening it. That way the oily dressing doesn't spray all over your shirt and tie when you open them under pressure.

Slowhawk
05-05-2018, 06:34 PM
On the yoke clip if you push gently and directly up on the little metal part in there, that is how youíre supposed to release the clip and put stuff in the clip. Shoving a checklist in there or pulling one out of there without putting pressure on it will eventually wear out the clip, almost as fast as jamming a folded checklist in there stretches it out.

Or just use the checklist holder 6 inches to the left/right..

Poser765
05-05-2018, 06:58 PM
How do you keep the checklist on a broken yoke clip then? I think you're correlating a broken yoke clip with a folded checklist, it's the other way around. The yoke clip was already broken so folding the checklist keeps pressure on the clip and holds it on.what nerd actually uses the checklist?

FlytheSky
05-05-2018, 08:06 PM

I personally say "disregarding" whenever the FO says "disregard" in this situation. Now if I'm disregarding the VTA chime or disregarding their "disregard" call is a mystery for only me to know. ;)

BobbyLeeSwagger
05-05-2018, 08:11 PM
I personally say "disregarding" whenever the FO says "disregard" in this situation. Now if I'm disregarding the VTA chime or disregarding their "disregard" call is a mystery for only me to know. ;)

Ha! Yeah my first thought is always... "did I look like I was regarding the chime???" I facetiously remark, if were gonna disregard SOP, can we do less work/call outs, not more?

poutine
05-06-2018, 01:25 AM
When CA reminds you to arm the APP when needle starts moving within 2 dots, and your left hand is nowhere near the panel, don't say 'I was just waiting till the last second'.

Fr8Thrust
05-06-2018, 01:40 AM
When CA reminds you to arm the APP when needle starts moving within 2 dots, and your left hand is nowhere near the panel, don't say 'I was just waiting till the last second'.

Thatís when you click off the FD/AP and prove him wrong. 😆

jungle driver
05-06-2018, 08:38 AM
On the yoke clip if you push gently and directly up on the little metal part in there, that is how youíre supposed to release the clip and put stuff in the clip. Shoving a checklist in there or pulling one out of there without putting pressure on it will eventually wear out the clip, almost as fast as jamming a folded checklist in there stretches it out.

Or just use the checklist holder 6 inches to the left/right..

you can also slide it out the side of the yoke clip with ease.

Captainmarv
05-11-2018, 08:39 PM
I love compass airlines forum, for some reason you guys give out a more positive feel, this is the place I wanna be..unfortunately I'm 650 hours away from RATP mins...that's counting 50 hours of company training..

VIRotate
05-12-2018, 02:22 AM
I love compass airlines forum, for some reason you guys give out a more positive feel, this is the place I wanna be..unfortunately I'm 650 hours away from RATP mins...that's counting 50 hours of company training..

We definitely like to have fun and we have a great group.

week
08-19-2018, 08:06 AM
Bump ..

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1