Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Upcoming Interview

flightforfood
05-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Hey Guys;

Good to be here. I just was offer an interview for direct entry captain. I have a few questions. Hope someone can answer it for me.
-Which airplane will they place you and initial base?
-If LGA how long before you get to MIA and which bases are flying the EMB145
-I see they are getting more E175. Will the replace all the EMB with it or just adding more.
-In the screening what you I expect and what they want to know about me.

Thanks in advance;

Regards....

flysooner9
05-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Forsure LGA initially. Probably at least 6 months to see anything else.

flightforfood
05-04-2018, 12:06 PM
thanks flysooner9. How long before you can get off reserve??

Folove
05-04-2018, 12:09 PM
Is there a DEC on here that recently went through the program that I can PM?

flysooner9
05-04-2018, 12:24 PM

Company will try to tell you no reserve. It will completely dependent on how many DECís get hired after you.

havick206
05-04-2018, 01:52 PM

Flysooner doesnít work here at Envoy

flysooner9
05-04-2018, 02:04 PM
Flysooner doesnít work here at Envoy

Iíve been through more of the DEC process then you have.

havick206
05-04-2018, 02:16 PM

Some of the Nov17 DEC new hires got a composite line this month for LGA.

That being said unless there is an increase in lines they will be bumped back to reserve as 2016 new hires upgrade.

Company just announced additional 175ís and 15 more 145ís so who knows how that will play out with bases and/or additional lines being added.

A new now DEC should expected to spend about 12 months or more on reserve unless these additional aircraft shake things up.

As for flysooner or whatever his handle is, he doesnít work here so heís only going off 2nd hand information. The 30 additional aircraft announced in just the last 24 hours, is something that is an unknown on how that will affect reserve times and times to holding anything other than LGA.

Being a DEC here at Envoy is still a **** sandwich though like most other places. If you get in early enough itís not too bad but here at Envoy you are getting closer to the big wave of 2016 new hires upgrading and will constantly bump you down the CA list.

havick206
05-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Iíve been through more of the DEC process then you have.

No, but i do see all the flow plans, reserve lists and the company announcememts which you donít. Even then my worse case scenarios or conservative estimates are usually off and up working out better.

flightforfood
05-05-2018, 01:40 AM
Thank you havick206. I do not drink the coolaid of AA flow thru. I am looking for a stable place where I could be base in Miami at some point and I ok job environment. I would be given up a 300k wide body captain to join Envoy, yet no regret if working conditions are acceptable.

Thank you againg

Virga show
05-05-2018, 07:14 AM
Thank you havick206. I do not drink the coolaid of AA flow thru. I am looking for a stable place where I could be base in Miami at some point and I ok job environment. I would be given up a 300k wide body captain to join Envoy, yet no regret if working conditions are acceptable.

Thank you againg

This makes no sense. Why would you leave a 300k captain wide body job for envoy? I mean if you overseas you could work the next 10-15 years and retire. Not sure why you would consider this $hitthole management style company over staying where you are.

havick206
05-05-2018, 08:32 AM
This makes no sense. Why would you leave a 300k captain wide body job for envoy? I mean if you overseas you could work the next 10-15 years and retire. Not sure why you would consider this $hitthole management style company over staying where you are.

Agreed. No sense in leaving an already high paying job on a widebody

pilotmunk
05-05-2018, 12:15 PM

The guy probably just wants to come home after expatting for years.

AZPilotMike
05-05-2018, 12:43 PM

Depending on how long he/she has been doing the work, money may not even be an issue anymore. Invested wisely and having earned that for some years would be plenty to bank on later down the road, especially considering they will continue to work in the states. Living overseas gets rough, especially in certain regions and no amount of money is enough to keep you doing it.

pitchattitude
05-05-2018, 03:05 PM
https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2018/04/30/emirates-is-storing-over-45-planes-in-the-next-few-months/

With the current hiring trend in the states, expats are coming back. But that opens up opportunities for other. It definitely is not for everyone though.

flightforfood
05-05-2018, 10:48 PM
Pilot munk you hit it on the nail have being in Asia for 11 years and it is hard. I have the stomach for it, yet I think it is time to come home and work quietly for about 12 years in peace that do not have to worry about the stupid medicals and the out of control sim checks every 6 months. Plus the headache of being alone and not wanting to subject my family to the **** hole of a country I live in.

Think about flying for 11 hours and not say a word other than checklist and them being ignore by the entire crew. They are always trying to cheat you in time off and the local hotels are worse than the worse in Haiti. Money is not everything after you reach a point where you think is enough.

Thank you for the info, yet I think Envoy is a very distress company at the moment. By the comments, I feel a lot of angry people there, for that stay where I am keep looking.

thanks again

AZPilotMike
05-06-2018, 01:54 AM
Pilot munk you hit it on the nail have being in Asia for 11 years and it is hard. I have the stomach for it, yet I think it is time to come home and work quietly for about 12 years in peace that do not have to worry about the stupid medicals and the out of control sim checks every 6 months. Plus the headache of being alone and not wanting to subject my family to the **** hole of a country I live in.

Think about flying for 11 hours and not say a word other than checklist and them being ignore by the entire crew. They are always trying to cheat you in time off and the local hotels are worse than the worse in Haiti. Money is not everything after you reach a point where you think is enough.

Thank you for the info, yet I think Envoy is a very distress company at the moment. By the comments, I feel a lot of angry people there, for that stay where I am keep looking.

thanks again
I wouldn't read to much into the attitude around here, we tend to be the extreme case of employees in the sense that we actually come here and post. I think "generally" people are happy working here if they can manage to live in base or near it.

Curious though, with all of your wide body time, why are you looking at the regionals? I may have missed this response earlier so if so, apologies up front.

flightforfood
05-06-2018, 06:13 AM
I am already 53 years old with no real collage degree. I have applied to AA, Delta, United and they have not answer. I found that the money offered by Envoy was around what I was looking for in a job in the USA and was looking to be base in Miami. I am in China now, job is not bad, but get all after 12 commute a year and have your kids cry in on facetime screaming daddy daddy about 3 times a month, and like I said earlier money and airplane are **** compare to family and tranquility. I be happy flying a C172 out my nearby airport if pay me to pay the bills and have a decent life.

Thanks of the Info AZpilotMike. I will try and see where it take me. I always can say no.

AZPilotMike
05-07-2018, 04:12 AM
I am already 53 years old with no real collage degree. I have applied to AA, Delta, United and they have not answer. I found that the money offered by Envoy was around what I was looking for in a job in the USA and was looking to be base in Miami. I am in China now, job is not bad, but get all after 12 commute a year and have your kids cry in on facetime screaming daddy daddy about 3 times a month, and like I said earlier money and airplane are **** compare to family and tranquility. I be happy flying a C172 out my nearby airport if pay me to pay the bills and have a decent life.

Thanks of the Info AZpilotMike. I will try and see where it take me. I always can say no.
Understood. Envoy has a lot of advantages for someone in your position. You can make as captain 75k pretty easy and I do know guys that hit close to that 100k mark by getting creative with picking up trips in base.

In addition we have the Miami base and being owned by AA offers us some of the better travel benefits around. I find the insurance to be above average for our level in the industry.

Best of luck to you.

3EngineTaxi
05-07-2018, 05:17 AM
Flightforfood, have you applied to any low cost carriers? There are a couple airlines based in FLL with significantly better pay and quality of life than any regionals.

highfarfast
05-07-2018, 08:04 AM
Flightforfood, have you applied to any low cost carriers? There are a couple airlines based in FLL with significantly better pay and quality of life than any regionals.

This was my first thought when I read his post. They may require a college degree though... but I bet that changes in the near future. Someone is going to value that kind of prior experience.

griff312
05-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Or he'd be a shoe-in for Atlas. They have a MIA base, and will value his wide body time.

Big C
05-10-2018, 08:44 PM
I have an interview next week and was told that I have to fly the B58 sim. Are there any callouts or TOLD that I need to lnow before going in? What about the G1000 functionality?

llws
05-11-2018, 04:25 AM
I have an interview next week and was told that I have to fly the B58 sim. Are there any callouts or TOLD that I need to lnow before going in? What about the G1000 functionality?

You're probably good as long as you don't crash immediately after takeoff.

EmbaeDriver
05-11-2018, 05:47 AM
You're probably good as long as you don't crash immediately after takeoff.

Yes. They didnít sent you a sim package?

Bruno82
05-11-2018, 12:53 PM

It's my understanding that you do not need to worry about callouts or handling the G1000. Just be able to fly via the instruments. We had one person do the sim in my class. As I recall, they did a takeoff some vectors and then vectors onto an ILS. I think they just want to see that you can fly via reference to instruments.