Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Stimpy the Kat
05-05-2018, 12:49 PM
ACMI/Cargo is not something you do for a Career. It is a Stepping-Stone or a Fall-Back. When times are tough, any port in The Storm is a good place to be.

How many of those Starry-Eyed kids at University are thinking " Man, when I get out of this place ( Purdue, ERAU, UND, etc. ) I wanna' work for National or Connie or Atlas! "

They don't even know these airlines exist.

Old Men do....Here's why.

On some level, for some reason, they were Trapped. By Money. By The Industry/Stagnation etc. Valid. It HAS been the History of the last few Decades.

Or, they may have Felt that they were trapped. Because ALL the Kids need Thousand Dollar Cell Phones and The Wife can't be seen in a 2 year OLD BMW...! I Dunno'. Whatever....Stockholm is a nice place to visit. I do not recommend Residence.

Anyway....

In many Cases, it was true. Mortgage, Wife, Kids, CIRCUMSTANCE. This is Life.

However, do the terms "Golden Handcuffs or Silver Bracelets " come to mind ?

NOT, that the Compensation has EVER been near what it should be at these types of Operators, BUT...We all have to get the NUT that feeds us. Once we have it ( even if it's just enough) , it is very hard to give it up. Even if it's less than we deserve, or in context with other professions or peers...Somehow, we accept it. Just Human I guess.

Oh, well.

HOWEVER, NOW...Is THE BEST TIME IN THE HISTORY OF AVIATION TO BE A PILOT.

ACMI type of flying should not even be considered by a new Airman.

Unless it is just to get a type/experience and get out.

I will leave you with the following:

- KNOW-WHAT YOU ARE WORTH.

- DEMAND-WHAT YOU DESERVE.

- ACCEPT-NOTHING LESS.

Thank You...And, Good-Night.

:)

STK

Stimpy the Kat
05-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Before all the folks with poor reading comprehension ( aka : 98% of all Pilots ) chime in:

I do not mean to be bashing these types of carriers or pilots who fly for them.

In a 30 year career these have been some of my observations. ( And, best memories . )

Of those 30 years...At least 12-13 were spent doing EXACTLY what I speak of.

Stimpson

DC8DRIVER
05-05-2018, 01:28 PM

- ACCEPT-NOTHING LESS.

STK

Well, I gotta agree with that statement.

Kimo
05-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Yea
Flying is a funny business
And not funny like a muppet ha ha funny
Just funny(for those that like to take stuff out of context)

BlueSkies88
05-05-2018, 02:51 PM
ACMI/Cargo is not something you do for a Career. It is a Stepping-Stone or a Fall-Back. When times are tough, any port in The Storm is a good place to be.

How many of those Starry-Eyed kids at University are thinking " Man, when I get out of this place ( Purdue, ERAU, UND, etc. ) I wanna' work for National or Connie or Atlas! "

On some level, for some reason, they were Trapped. By Money. By The Industry/Stagnation etc. Valid. It HAS been the History of the last few Decades.

Or, they may have Felt that they were trapped. Because ALL the Kids need Thousand Dollar Cell Phones and The Wife can't be seen in a 2 year OLD BMW...! I Dunno'. Whatever....Stockholm is a nice place to visit. I do not recommend Residence.

Anyway....

NOT, that the Compensation has EVER been near what it should be at these types of Operators, BUT...We all have to get the NUT that feeds us. Once we have it ( even if it's just enough) , it is very hard to give it up. Even if it's less than we deserve, or in context with other professions or peers...Somehow, we accept it. Just Human I guess.

Oh, well.

- ACCEPT-NOTHING LESS.

STK

For ATI pilots one would have to assumed, it’s for those hypnotic “bag tags”

kevbo
05-05-2018, 03:37 PM
It's the Walmart of the industry, employer of last resort. For a pilot, next step is a boring 9-5 meat grinding job. Oh the cognitive dissonance "I won't do it, I'm a Pilot"! That's why these places exist in such a sorry condition.

Otterbox
05-05-2018, 03:50 PM

Anyway....

Oh, well.

- ACCEPT-NOTHING LESS.

STK

I was looking very hard at Atlas.

For me it was an Atlas VPs kin telling me that they wouldn’t work there because they work too hard for the $ after previously mentioning the VP in question felt like pilots in general “made enough already”... the kin in question works for a legacy instead.

#2 is Jeff Bezos and his quest for the cheapest employee groups possible regardless of what that means for quality and safety.

#3 is ERJ FOs at the regionals make as much as Atlas FOs flying 747s around the globe.

midnightshuttle
05-05-2018, 04:22 PM
STK

I shall chime in:

The statement above is exactly how I felt and thought. I remember the morning well as if it was yesterday. I woke up at a sigma chi house. I was in a flower bed with no pants and handcuffed. My Subaru was across the street having ran thru the porch of another frat house. When the officer stood me up it was apparent that I had also been to a rainbow party that evening.

Was then I realized I wouldn't make it at United or Delta. The rainbow party meant SWA might still be an option.

AMAZON TAGS FOR ALL !! says Bucky

B727DRVR
05-06-2018, 10:33 PM
I shall chime in:

The statement above is exactly how I felt and thought. I remember the morning well as if it was yesterday. I woke up at a sigma chi house. I was in a flower bed with no pants and handcuffed. My Subaru was across the street having ran thru the porch of another frat house. When the officer stood me up it was apparent that I had also been to a rainbow party that evening.

Was then I realized I wouldn't make it at United or Delta. The rainbow party meant SWA might still be an option.

When I moved do DAB for a flying job in the early 90's (which is kind of hilarious since I wasn't a Riddle alum and went to the competition), I spent my first two weeks on the couch there at the Eta Iota Chapter of Sigma Chi. They provided great hospitality for a fellow Sig and I provided free right seat time in a PA-60.

Fun times...:cool:

Back to the previously scheduled programming..

myoface
05-07-2018, 03:33 AM
Pound cake at the five clowns. What else do you really need in life?

Colt45
05-07-2018, 03:58 AM
Speak for yourself... I’ve always enjoyed working for Connie and can’t see myself going anywhere else by choice..

402FreightDog
05-07-2018, 06:33 AM
I shall chime in:

You weren’t sharing a “lady” of questionable character with Hard Lemonade at the time were you?

midnightshuttle
05-10-2018, 06:34 AM
You weren’t sharing a “lady” of questionable character with Hard Lemonade at the time were you?

Lmao!! Believe me there were no questions of her character nor doubt of her skillset. Yeah if you heard the story that was me.

Stimpy the Kat
05-10-2018, 07:22 AM
Speak for yourself... I’ve always enjoyed working for Connie and can’t see myself going anywhere else by choice..

Uh...Yeah. Now, go back and read my disclaimer post made immediately after the original post.

I too have enjoyed working at K4. Some of the best flying in a 30 year career.

Thanks for playing though!

Stimpson

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1