Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

laurabos
05-07-2018, 06:18 PM
Can a pilot and flight attendant who work for the same airline be married and fly together/have the same schedule ? Is there any way at all that this would be possible even if it is highly unlikely?

Turbosina
05-07-2018, 06:23 PM
Yes, I know one couple at my airline that fits that description. Keep in mind, though, that if they have different relative seniority in their base and role, the chances of getting lots of trips together are slim (because of how bidding works). Especially in a large base it'd be really difficult to make that happen reliably...

laurabos
05-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Yes, I know one couple at my airline that fits that description. Keep in mind, though, that if they have different relative seniority in their base and role, the chances of getting lots of trips together are slim (because of how bidding works). Especially in a large base it'd be really difficult to make that happen reliably...

How does the bidding work ?

at6d
05-07-2018, 06:58 PM
IMO its a long shot. Better for both of you to be FAs if you want to have similar schedules.

And anyway...Id rather not work with my wife LOL.

Dolphinflyer
05-07-2018, 07:05 PM
Not a AA unless they have over 35 years of seniority where they can both trip-trade onto each others 3-day Europe trips.

Odds are the average FA work ethic will somewhat subside by that time living with someone making near $400K. Plan on 1 trip a month by that point which will cost 5X whatever the FA's gross income for the trip from buying useless chit.

By that time, a trained Squirrel Monkey would be a way cooler thing to bring along a trip. More chances of free beers than someone trying to turn the hotel room AC down to 48F due to hot flashes.

Winston
05-07-2018, 07:07 PM
IMO its a long shot. Better for both of you to be FAs if you want to have similar schedules.

And anyway...Id rather not work with my wife LOL.

At least youd have a flight deck door between you. At my old airline I ran across a pilot couple that would buddy-bid to fly together.

Generally speaking, I dont care who you are: Id rather not spend 24 hours a day within a 3 foot radius of you.

rickair7777
05-07-2018, 07:11 PM
Maybe. But once you have kids you're bidding opposite schedules, game over.

Baradium
05-07-2018, 08:02 PM
As has been alluded to, for the most part pilot and FA trips are built very differently due to differing work rules and FAA rest requirements so having identical trips for most airlines would require bidding very specific and likely senior trips.

As far as being able to hold some of the same layovers it's a bit more possible as long as the more senior of the two is the one who has a bidding timeline that comes later so they can attempt to bid to match the other's schedule. At that point seniority can be wildly different.

If you're senior enough it might be even easy to have the same trips, the catch is how senior that is. On the junior side it'd probably be more important just to try to bid for the same days off while you could.

cactusmike
05-07-2018, 09:17 PM
Not a AA unless they have over 35 years of seniority where they can both trip-trade onto each others 3-day Europe trips.

Odds are the average FA work ethic will somewhat subside by that time living with someone making near $400K. Plan on 1 trip a month by that point which will cost 5X whatever the FA's gross income for the trip from buying useless chit.

By that time, a trained Squirrel Monkey would be a way cooler thing to bring along a trip. More chances of free beers than someone trying to turn the hotel room AC down to 48F due to hot flashes.

Man that hits right at home. My wife has been a F/A for 32 years. The minute I got the 777 bid she said, Im done.

We seldom flew together once we married. Kids, lack of desire on her part to work more than the minimum kept us on separate schedules.

Although I do like the hotel a/c turned down low.

NotTellin
05-07-2018, 11:20 PM
With the pilot on part 117 rules and the F/A not, its not likely.

I like BIG Bus
05-08-2018, 04:34 AM
I think some regional airlines may still have identical pairings for pilots and flight attendants. It may be possible at one of them.

Han Solo
05-08-2018, 05:55 AM
Joke may be on me, but I got a chuckle out of everybody answering from the pilot perspective and pooping on FAs. I'd bet a beer an FA asked.

PowderFinger
05-08-2018, 05:58 AM
Maybe. But once you have kids you're bidding opposite schedules, game over.

Not if it's your third or fourth marriage ... Just saying. ;)

galaxy flyer
05-08-2018, 06:06 AM
It took 32 years?! :D

GF

Twin Wasp
05-08-2018, 06:13 AM
How does the bidding work ?

The airline creates a schedule of the trips to be flown, usually called "lines." The most senior Captain and F/O and F/A bid for whichever line they want. The next most senior crewmembers bid for what they want but in case that is also the line the most senior crewmembers wanted, they put down there second choice also. It goes down the seniority list and the bottom folks get what is left that nobody else wanted.

Spicy McHaggis
05-08-2018, 06:16 AM
Man it's like looking into a mirror with some of these posts.

Wife and I flew together all the time pre kids. Basically saw Europe on the company's dime. Probably flew 60% of our trips together.

Now in the last 7 years or so we've flown together 3 times total. Opposite schedules work the best, second only to what was allude to earlier:

She'll basically stop working. No minimum to fly here and she does like 4 trips a year or something.

LNL76
05-08-2018, 06:16 AM
Why on earth would you want to??!! I know married couples who are FAs and ALWAYS fly the same schedule. Not sure how they do it, but it would make me insane! :p

nkbux
05-08-2018, 08:02 AM
Id LOVE to have my wife as my gear thrower..itd be the only aspect of my life where Im in charge!

captjns
05-08-2018, 09:11 AM
Id LOVE to have my wife as my gear thrower..itd be the only aspect of my life where Im in charge!

From the right seat?:D

captjns
05-08-2018, 09:12 AM

That is, of course, if she lets you be in charge:D

FL370esq
05-08-2018, 10:31 AM
....hmmmm....sounds like bringing sand to the beach to me. 😁

laurabos
05-08-2018, 10:56 AM
Man it's like looking into a mirror with some of these posts.

Wife and I flew together all the time pre kids. Basically saw Europe on the company's dime. Probably flew 60% of our trips together.

Now in the last 7 years or so we've flown together 3 times total. Opposite schedules work the best, second only to what was allude to earlier:

She'll basically stop working. No minimum to fly here and she does like 4 trips a year or something.

How were you guys able to fly together so much?? How long was that after you both started working ?

Spicy McHaggis
05-08-2018, 11:14 AM
How were you guys able to fly together so much?? How long was that after you both started working ?

We were hired within a month of each other. The plane I was on had about 1/2 dozen FAs and they're always screwing with their schedules so she was able to hop on quite a few trips.

It was also to Europe where it was one two legs per trip and the crews all stayed at the same hotels. It wasn't a domestic trip where FAs and pilots are always coming and going throughout the course of four days.

Blue Dude
05-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Can a pilot and flight attendant who work for the same airline be married and fly together/have the same schedule ? Is there any way at all that this would be possible even if it is highly unlikely?

Yes, it's possible but don't let your spouse find out.

crflyer
05-08-2018, 04:54 PM
Yes, it's possible but don't let your spouse find out.

Enjoyed that one quite a bit

Qotsaautopilot
05-08-2018, 07:25 PM
The OP could be “the spouse”. Another thread has been started.

itsmytime
05-09-2018, 04:06 AM
The OP could be “the spouse”. Another thread has been started.

Seems like a spouse trying to nail what she suspects, or knows to be a cheating hubby.