Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Han Solo
05-10-2018, 09:39 AM
I think the pilot population is more savvy than the average American when it comes to the importance of sleep. I am something of a health, fitness, and safety nut and I was absolutely blown away by some of the information discussed in episode #1109 where Joe had a conversation with Matthew Walker, a professor of neuroscience and psychology at Berkeley. I was so impressed it made me want to share.

If the first 5 minutes (after the ads) where they discuss why hotel rooms are bad for your sleep (and thus bad for your health) doesn't grab your attention then you're not the target audience. For me, the 2+ hour podcast felt like it was over before it began, a great listen. Full disclosure, I'm a huge Joe Rogan fan.

Qotsaautopilot
05-10-2018, 10:07 AM
I get my absolute best sleep in hotel rooms. Cooler, darker, better pillows, no kids.

Han Solo
05-10-2018, 10:23 AM
I get my absolute best sleep in hotel rooms. Cooler, darker, better pillows, no kids.

I'm envious! My sleep quantity and quality is significantly higher at home. Teenage kids, conscientious wife, dark/quiet room, and a very good mattress.

rightside02
05-10-2018, 01:06 PM
Anyone have a link ? I would like to listen to it

Han Solo
05-10-2018, 01:52 PM
Anyone have a link ? I would like to listen to it

google says Joe Rogan (Podcast Site) (http://podcasts.joerogan.net/) episode 1109. Should also be able to search JRE from your podcast software and download directly into your device.

Al Czervik
05-10-2018, 05:41 PM
I'm envious! My sleep quantity and quality is significantly higher at home. Teenage kids, conscientious wife, dark/quiet room, and a very good mattress.

Sounds like you’re the winner.

Han Solo
05-11-2018, 02:55 AM
Sounds like you’re the winner.

You missed the part about crappy sleep on the road.

Softpayman
05-11-2018, 04:31 AM
I sleep best on the road. While I’d prefer my own bed , not having home responsibilities and above all little kids to tend to make the road preferable.

If you’re at the point where you’re talking about mattress firmness and the rooms air conditioning I’d suggest you’re well ahead of the game.

Al Czervik
05-11-2018, 12:50 PM
You missed the part about crappy sleep on the road.

“Conscientious wife” equals winner.

Han Solo
05-11-2018, 05:25 PM
“Conscientious wife” equals winner.

Probably right, but there is a certain part of my brain (reptilian, right?) that envies the other guys really effing hot 2nd/3rd wife that is 1/2 his age. Did you listen to the podcast? Great stuff in there.

Ed Force One
05-11-2018, 06:38 PM
Downloaded it. Only fitting that I save it and listen to it on my 2.5 hr drive to work in a few days.

CoefficientX
05-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Probably right, but there is a certain part of my brain (reptilian, right?) that envies the other guys really effing hot 2nd/3rd wife that is 1/2 his age. Did you listen to the podcast? Great stuff in there.

“Really effing hot 2nd/3rd wife” typically equals high maintenance and headaches. As a divorced guy I find myself envious of my married friends still on their first wife. Way less drama.

Agree with you, great stuff in the podcast.

Hilltopper89
05-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Listened on a deadhead. Very eye opening and much to think about. Thanks for sharing.

Han Solo
05-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Listened on a deadhead. Very eye opening and much to think about. Thanks for sharing.

I already knew international didn't agree with me, but I'm now 100% certain that I'll never bid another category that messes with my sleep unless I know I can sit reserve and get bounces in the sim more often than I get called to fly. Doesn't matter how much money you make if you're too dead to spend it. Of course there are individuals who will beat the odds, have terrible sleep their entire lives, and live long and productive lives. Just knowing how bad I feel changing time zones is incentive enough, but with all the added risk factors this doctor brought up there's no reason to tempt fate.

flyguyniner11
05-15-2018, 02:48 PM
I listened on my drive after 4 hours sleep. Now I feel like I have cancer! But it was a great convo and very informative (like most JREs)

Hilltopper89
05-15-2018, 05:50 PM
I already knew international didn't agree with me, but I'm now 100% certain that I'll never bid another category that messes with my sleep unless I know I can sit reserve and get bounces in the sim more often than I get called to fly. Doesn't matter how much money you make if you're too dead to spend it. Of course there are individuals who will beat the odds, have terrible sleep their entire lives, and live long and productive lives. Just knowing how bad I feel changing time zones is incentive enough, but with all the added risk factors this doctor brought up there's no reason to tempt fate.

Agreed. I’m not sure there’s enough science out there to prove it but doesn’t there have to be a reason cargo guys have a reputation for dropping dead the day after they retire? I’m naive. I’ve been NB since I got here 5 years ago. But I also know I have a hard time even with 4 time zones and the occasional red eye. I. My 20 year military career I had plenty of lost sleep. I remember one Red Flag I flew the evening go, got back to the hotel at 430 am and was back at the van at 630 to work the day shift. That was ok though because I was just mission commander. Also had plenty of week long exercises in Korea as Mission Director where I was working 16-18 hr days inside a hardened building sucking rubber the entire time. Never even saw the sun for a week. Way too much machismo out there that you can function just fine on long periods of little or no sleep.

Who knows how it affected me. WB doesn’t appeal to me right now. At all. I’m sure guys will roll in on me and tell me how superior WB life is. I’ll never say never but this info makes that decision even easier.

IHateYou
05-18-2018, 10:27 AM
“Really effing hot 2nd/3rd wife” typically equals high maintenance and headaches. As a divorced guy I find myself envious of my married friends still on their first wife. Way less drama.

Agree with you, great stuff in the podcast.

I’m not envious of any married man.

CoefficientX
05-18-2018, 10:41 AM

To each his own.

WHACKMASTER
05-18-2018, 06:02 PM

Bingo. Me neither. Page 1 of this thread serves to remind me how happy I am to be single and spawn-less. It also reminds me that I have GOT to get that vasectomy.

badflaps
05-18-2018, 06:21 PM
I knew some guys that didn't need a vasectomy, their personalities kept them safe.:D

WHACKMASTER
05-18-2018, 06:32 PM
I knew some guys that didn't need a vasectomy, their personalities kept them safe.:D

Me too! I wish my personality kept me safe. It’d be easier, but alas....I need to proceed with that scrotum cutting procedure while still awake. Can’t wait!

To each his own...

IHateYou
05-18-2018, 07:44 PM
Bingo. Me neither. Page 1 of this thread serves to remind me how happy I am to be single and spawn-less. It also reminds me that I have GOT to get that vasectomy.

Get the no scalpel vasectomy. Essentially painless. Single, no kids for me either. Amazing how much money a man can keep/save in that situation. Not to mention the freedom. No price on that.

kansas
05-18-2018, 08:41 PM
http://i68.tinypic.com/2vaoae0.jpg

WHACKMASTER
05-19-2018, 03:27 AM
Scrotum getting cut open “painless”? Somehow I can’t fathom that no matter what method is used.

Anyway, how about that sleep discussion that was going on.....

Han Solo
05-19-2018, 05:28 AM
Scrotum getting cut open “painless”? Somehow I can’t fathom that no matter what method is used.

Funny how the comment "conscientious wife" morphed into getting your junk sliced open. APC. BTW, the previous episode had a very interesting discussion on diet and longevity with Peter Attia.

IHateYou
05-19-2018, 05:50 AM

Hmm. I mention the “the no scalpel” method (which implies no cutting) and you reply with “scrotum getting cut open?” Genius. Try not to use google to get more details.

Suit yourself with being afraid of an insignificant PAINLESS procedure to prevent a lifetime of misery/pain. Some people you just can’t help.

Back to sleeping and why it’s so important.....

awax
05-19-2018, 06:19 AM
Funny how the comment "conscientious wife" morphed into getting your junk sliced open. APC. BTW, the previous episode had a very interesting discussion on diet and longevity with Peter Attia.

Since we’re now on topic with international flying and scroat maintenance.....

Had to laugh at wall size banner in the mall (near a certain intl layover hotel) advertising the “sack & crack” waxing special. Nothing says quality layover like paying a stranger to rip your pubs out by the root.

I’m awaiting the reviews here on APC

WHACKMASTER
05-19-2018, 07:57 PM
Hmm. I mention the “the no scalpel” method (which implies no cutting) and you reply with “scrotum getting cut open?” Genius. Try not to use google to get more details.

Suit yourself with being afraid of an insignificant PAINLESS procedure to prevent a lifetime of misery/pain. Some people you just can’t help.

I missed the “no” part of the “no scalpel”. Lighten up, Francis. I’ll google it. Geeeeez...

Hilltopper89
05-23-2018, 08:32 AM

Just to clarify...are you saying that a wife and kids are a “lifetime of pain/misery?” Maybe I read that wrong.