Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : CRJ vs EJet?

GoFaster
05-10-2018, 05:04 PM
I've got an interview on Monday... trying to figure out the pros/cons of CRJ vs EJet. DFW and IAH are both easily commutable. Seems to me that two perks of the CRJ are travel privileges on both AA & United, and shorter training timeline. What about upgrades? Anything I'm missing? Besides SJS and those beautiful wing-mounted engines :) Thanks!

backtoregionals
05-10-2018, 06:12 PM
I've got an interview on Monday... trying to figure out the pros/cons of CRJ vs EJet. DFW and IAH are both easily commutable. Seems to me that two perks of the CRJ are travel privileges on both AA & United, and shorter training timeline. What about upgrades? Anything I'm missing? Besides SJS and those beautiful wing-mounted engines :) Thanks!

CRJ training is much shorter, and the upgrade is faster (less than 6 months unless itís changed...thatís assuming you are eligible for upgrade per 121 minimums). If I had to commute, I would probably go CRJ so you can upgrade and get out of here to bigger, better things. Whatever aircraft you choose, be aware that you essentially cannot transfer to the other fleet unless itís for upgrade/downgrade. It is possible, but very limited at best. I live close to IAH and refuse to commute for this place if I can help it, so Iíll just ride it out and upgrade when my number comes up. I came in with 1800 hours of 121. Just my two cents.

GoFaster
05-11-2018, 02:50 AM
CRJ training is much shorter, and the upgrade is faster (less than 6 months unless itís changed...thatís assuming you are eligible for upgrade per 121 minimums). If I had to commute, I would probably go CRJ so you can upgrade and get out of here to bigger, better things.

I have low 121 time, less than 50 hours, so I guess upgrade time could end up being about the same either way.

calmwinds
05-11-2018, 03:16 AM
I have low 121 time, less than 50 hours, so I guess upgrade time could end up being about the same either way.

CRJ upgrade will happen shortly after your 1,000 hours if you are willing to commute to IAD until you can transfer back as a CA to DFW.

The Ejet is just short of 2 years. That is several months longer than the CRJ.

GoFaster
05-11-2018, 03:55 AM
Willing to commute as an FO or as a Captain? You’re saying I’d be able to get my 1,000 in DFW then hold captain in IAD until I had enough seniority to hold DFW? IAD is doable short term but it’d be tough long term.

calmwinds
05-11-2018, 04:08 AM
Willing to commute as an FO or as a Captain? Youíre saying Iíd be able to get my 1,000 in DFW then hold captain in IAD until I had enough seniority to hold DFW? IAD is doable short term but itíd be tough long term.

You can get back to DFW pretty quickly as a FO. They may still reposition you to IAD to cover flights. As a CA, it will take a bit longer to get back you DFW.

GoFaster
05-11-2018, 06:14 AM
Another thing I just thought about is overnights in JAN. Anybody willing to take a look at the lines CRJ’s out of DFW and 175’s out of IAH? That would be awesome, thanks in advance.

calmwinds
05-11-2018, 08:31 AM
Another thing I just thought about is overnights in JAN. Anybody willing to take a look at the lines CRJís out of DFW and 175ís out of IAH? That would be awesome, thanks in advance.

There are a number of pairings out of IAH with layovers in JAN for June.

Sennant
05-11-2018, 08:44 AM
Cities change all the time. Just because we fly there today doesnít mean we will tomorrow.

GoFaster
05-11-2018, 09:20 AM
Thanks for checking. Thatís a good point about changing bases. Itís still a toss-up. When do you pick your equipment- interview or indoc?

hac4660
05-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Thanks for checking. Thatís a good point about changing bases. Itís still a toss-up. When do you pick your equipment- interview or indoc?
We picked our equipment during INDOC when we signed our contract and made things "official".

calmwinds
05-11-2018, 09:32 AM

I am not certain since the Ejet training got behind. You used to be able to change equipment during Indoc.

And, you have considered Envoy and Republic?

flyguy727
05-11-2018, 05:59 PM

CRJ, wet out of training quicker, upgrade time shorter. Nonrev, well just make sure you give yourself plenty of time and have alternate routes. We are at the bottom of the list, so it can be challenging. I haven't had it too bad, been left behind only a couple of times. But in all, it's ok.

PrwlerBallFinal
05-21-2018, 08:48 AM
I am not certain since the Ejet training got behind. You used to be able to change equipment during Indoc.

And, you have considered Envoy and Republic?

Can you speak to how "behind" the training is? I did the Skype interview last week (best interview ever - I wasn't even wearing pants!!) and was offered E175/IAH with a June 13 class date.

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

I also understand the CRJ training is faster but I live much closer to Houston than Dallas, so I think at the end of the day Houston is the better option for me personally.

calmwinds
05-21-2018, 09:01 AM
Can you speak to how "behind" the training is? I did the Skype interview last week (best interview ever - I wasn't even wearing pants!!) and was offered E175/IAH with a June 13 class date.

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

I also understand the CRJ training is faster but I live much closer to Houston than Dallas, so I think at the end of the day Houston is the better option for me personally.

3 months ago, they were 8 months from DOH to IOE. This month, they were 6 months from DOH to IOE. They put 35 new FOís on the line in an effort to catch up. I suspect they will be back down to around 4 months soon.

You will love the Ejet. The QOL is much better than those flying the CRJ.

PrwlerBallFinal
05-21-2018, 09:14 AM
3 months ago, they were 8 months from DOH to IOE. This month, they were 6 months from DOH to IOE. They put 35 new FOís on the line in an effort to catch up. I suspect they will be back down to around 4 months soon.

Thanks! Looking forward to it!

SonicFlyer
05-21-2018, 11:38 AM
Can you explain why?

calmwinds
05-21-2018, 12:23 PM
Can you explain why?

The Ejet does longer legs and you are able to squeeze more flying into fewer days. Here are some of the trips: IAH to BOI. IAH to DCA. IAH to BZN. IAH to YYZ. I wish we had more 28-hour, 4-days. But, if you are senior, 3 4-day pairings can be a min credit award.

The Ejet is broke less, fewer MELs, less waiting for maintenance.

The Ejet is more automated, like Airbus and Boeing aircraft. This can be more challenging if technology challenged. But, the automation helps with fatigue. I believe it helps prepare one for moving on to the majors.

flyguy727
05-21-2018, 08:02 PM
The Ejet does longer legs and you are able to squeeze more flying into fewer days. Here are some of the trips: IAH to BOI. IAH to DCA. IAH to BZN. IAH to YYZ. I wish we had more 28-hour, 4-days. But, if you are senior, 3 4-day pairings can be a min credit award.

The Ejet is more automated, like Airbus and Boeing aircraft. This can be more challenging if technology challenged. But, the automation helps with fatigue. I believe it helps prepare one for moving on to the majors.
The joke among mx tech is the 175 should be called 185, because you'll end up turning 185į to return to the airport. The 175 if you look at it too hard, it'll break, so look down when near it

calmwinds
05-21-2018, 08:15 PM
The joke among mx tech is the 175 should be called 185, because you'll end up turning 185į to return to the airport. The 175 if you look at it too hard, it'll break, so look down when near it

If they say that about the 175, it would be interesting what they say about the CRJ variations.

flyguy727
05-22-2018, 05:50 AM
If they say that about the 175, it would be interesting what they say about the CRJ variations.

I haven't heard anything regarding the CRJ, I heard the other one a couple of days ago from one if the mechanics.

JoPilot
05-22-2018, 06:15 PM

When you talk about this trip list, as a guy never having flown for an airline, are those trips to those locations and then back to IAH.

I.e. the IAH to BOI then IAH to DCA the next day. Is that typical for Mesa ERJ flying out of IAH?

calmwinds
05-23-2018, 03:15 AM
When you talk about this trip list, as a guy never having flown for an airline, are those trips to those locations and then back to IAH.

I.e. the IAH to BOI then IAH to DCA the next day. Is that typical for Mesa ERJ flying out of IAH?

Ah, trying to explain Part 117 rules and the 121 world to a novice.

A pairing typically last one to four days, with four days being the most common. When on a pairing, one spends the entire time away from base in a hotel provided by the airline.

Per Part 117, a pilot is only allowed to fly 100 hours every 28 days. A scheduled monthís worth of flying usually consists of 76 to just over 100 hours of flying. Our contract requires 11 days off per month minimum.

To improve QOL, one typically want the dense flying (most flying per day) in your pairings so that you end up with the most number of days off per month to spend time doing what you want to do. To reach 76 hours with three 4-day pairings (and have 18 days off in the month), you need three 4-day pairings with an average of just over 25 hours per pairing or just over 6 hours of flying per day. 6 hours flying per day is hard to do without long legs.

In looking at the pairings on the various regional jets, the most dense flying (and it really doesnít matter who you fly for) is being done with the Ejet. It doesnít matter the destinations you fly to as much as it is extremely difficult to achieve an average of over 6 hours of flying per day with mostly short legs.