Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : IAD/DCA Bases Closing?

flying4401
05-11-2018, 05:21 AM
Do know of you know if this is true? I was interested in TSA since I live in the IAD area but not if they are closing IAD/DCA.

CCpounder
05-11-2018, 05:44 AM
Do know of you know if this is true? I was interested in TSA since I live in the IAD area but not if they are closing IAD/DCA.

Yeah they'll be gone before the end of the year.

Bozo
05-11-2018, 06:38 AM

I guess that leaves AW and C5.

zondaracer
05-11-2018, 06:40 AM
Republic and PSA have DCA bases and Mesa has a Dulles Base.

chrisreedrules
05-11-2018, 07:24 AM
PSA and Republic in DCA are going to be your best options. PSA if you want to work for an AA wholly-owned regional and enjoy some good quality of life do to our SAP. Republic if you want a little bit higher pay and a little bit better contract plus if you must fly a 175. Plus for PSA is that the ORF base is relatively drivable from the IAD/DCA area and is for now very junior. You could go there for a few months until you can hold a line in DCA or just sit reserve in DCA for a few months.

flying4401
05-11-2018, 08:45 AM
Did any official communication go out to the pilot group that Wash DC bases are closing both bases? I guess IAD will only have CommutAir/Mesa/Air Wisconsin left. Makes sense going to another ERJ operator..

chrisreedrules
05-11-2018, 09:49 AM
Did any official communication go out to the pilot group that Wash DC bases are closing both bases? I guess IAD will only have CommutAir/Mesa/Air Wisconsin left. Makes sense going to another ERJ operator..

Of those 3 I would go to Air Wisconsin. But their fleet is very old and tired and you will be worked a lot.

Bartender
05-11-2018, 10:03 AM

XJT is probably going to reopen the IAD base.

flying4401
05-11-2018, 01:23 PM
I doubt XJT is coming back to IAD - they are nearly on the death bed and loosing airplanes from what I hear.

I was thinking about C5. They have pilot social upcoming in the dc area from what some friends tell me.

m20cmark21
05-11-2018, 01:59 PM

Yes, it's true, and yes, an official comm went out from management to the employees. Maintenance bases at DCA/IAD closing by October is the "official rumor" with all flying done by the end of year... maybe sooner. Bad news for east coasters, good news for west coasters. DEN/ORD going to grow. Mainly DEN is my guess...

Bartender
05-11-2018, 03:32 PM
I doubt XJT is coming back to IAD - they are nearly on the death bed and loosing airplanes from what I hear.

I was thinking about C5. They have pilot social upcoming in the dc area from what some friends tell me.

You have heard wrong. IAD and DEN coming and 700s going into service on United side.

Hou757
05-11-2018, 03:35 PM

You have heard wrong...

flying4401
05-11-2018, 04:21 PM
OK - well i guess it wouldn't hurt attending C5's evening social if it pans out. no offical communication from them yet but its worth looking for. I will also look at Air Wis but heard they are having issues with performance. Would anyone else be interested in C5?

flying4401
05-11-2018, 04:24 PM
Will the 700s be on United side - if so, not bad but wonder if it will be backfilled by their current guys...

Knobcrk1
05-15-2018, 12:51 PM
Did I read the call in show review memo right? They’re planning on announcing more flying soon??

brokepilot2
05-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Did I read the call in show review memo right? They’re planning on announcing more flying soon??

More charter flying, which is just more flying we can't properly staff

JuniorFO
05-15-2018, 02:08 PM

Quite the opposite, they are opening TYS and rumor of more bases in the near future.

Knobcrk1
05-15-2018, 03:22 PM
More charter flying, which is just more flying we can't properly staff

Yes exactly.

Hugo 2992
06-22-2018, 05:01 AM
Has anyone heard anything more on the future of DC... any reason to think they might keep it open? I live in DC and am trying to figure out if I should go back or find a new regional (I did the seniority reservation program).

Otterbox
06-22-2018, 05:38 AM
Has anyone heard anything more on the future of DC... any reason to think they might keep it open? I live in DC and am trying to figure out if I should go back or find a new regional (I did the seniority reservation program).

Probably a good move. However you could always go there fly for a year or so then become a DEC as whoever has a DCA base then the time comes also.

m20cmark21
06-22-2018, 03:37 PM

DC is definitely going away.

Hugo 2992
06-24-2018, 01:41 PM
Thank you.

tom11011
09-08-2018, 03:40 PM
I run the pilotdomicile website, haven't kept up with TSA in a while, can someone tell me where the current bases are so I can keep the list current?

C37AFE
09-08-2018, 06:20 PM
Dc closes end of year

TransWorld
09-09-2018, 01:55 AM
I run the pilotdomicile website.

I want to thank you for your time and efforts doing that. With all the new hires coming in I know a lot of pilots will be using it, even though most will never say thanks.

Blackhawk
09-10-2018, 05:23 AM
Looking at the XJT UAX January 2019 map, it appears some of the ORD flying will run through IAD. Kind of like we used to do with ATL based -200s in DTW on the DAL side.

Arliss
09-15-2018, 03:49 PM
Looking at the XJT UAX January 2019 map, it appears some of the ORD flying will run through IAD. Kind of like we used to do with ATL based -200s in DTW on the DAL side.

Where can one find this map?

Arliss
09-15-2018, 04:00 PM

This is incorrect. Xjet has the opportunity to come back with this new TA being voted on right now. We've been "promised" at least 20 E175s for United if the TA passes, plus it appears Skywest is going to sell us to someone (basic assumption is United, in some form). Wait until next month to make your final decision, the TA will probably pass.

Xjet is way better than C5. They're a garbage company; ever C5 pilot I've talked to at EWR has not had good things to say. "It sucks" and "dumpster fire" were two exact descriptors used by 2 C5 guys I know.
The main reason Xjet has this renewed opportunity is because C5, Mesa, and Awac are screwing up so bad.

Blackhawk
09-15-2018, 06:42 PM
Where can one find this map?

It was a map put out by management showing the CRJ-200 flying we would do out of ORD.

thejetpilot
09-24-2018, 01:14 PM
RDU will stay as a senior base