Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Study material

DiveAndDrive
05-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Hello, all. I was recently offered a position, and I am very excited to start. I want to prepare as much as I possibly can before hand. I know they will send a study guide, and I also know I need to get my nose into Sheppard Air and start memorizing studying the ATP written. But Iím also looking at other things to study since Iím basically a workaholic with no life.

Iím looking at ďEmbraer 170/190 Pilot TrainerĒ, produced by Faraz Sheikh, ďAerosim Checkride E190Ē, produced by Aerosim, or the ďE-170/175 Study AppĒ produced by JETPUBS. I was wondering if anyone has ever used any of these apps, and have any feedback on the accuracy or relevance of the information. Iím kind of liking the Aerosim app because it looks like you can go through the panels and click on various switches (albeit, theyíre not interactive) and itíll tell you what that switch does. I think if I pair that with the study guide, Iíll be in a good spot. But again, I donít know how accurate or relevant the information would be. Thatís why Iím soliciting yíalls input.

Also. Does anyone have a good ATP study app for the iPhone? I know Sheppard Air is the heavyweight champion of the world, but they donít have an iPhone app; only an iPad app.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to flying with you all!!!

TwinTandem
05-12-2018, 03:16 AM
Donít waste your time or money on anything else but Sheppard. You will be more than prepared. Seriously.

As far as the jet study I couldnít say but the study guide youíll get is fairly detailed with over 200 pages to review.

Varkguy
05-12-2018, 04:26 AM
Get ahead during INDOC by memorizing most of the limitations chapter (and 100% of the bold/italic items) and the study guide. I just completed IOE so if you have any questions shoot me a PM.

JAHawk
05-12-2018, 07:13 AM
Email the Hiring team and ask them for ďThe Study Guide.Ē Itís 269ish pages. If you read that and start note cards/memeorize the bold and italic items before training you are light years ahead of your class. I dare you to actually do just that and then find a hobby/life lol - heck you are going to have 12-16 days off a month soon so you are going to need a hobby.

DiveAndDrive
05-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Lol I plan on using those 12-16 days off to finish my online degree. :p

TheWeatherman
05-12-2018, 03:21 PM
The guy in my class who bought all those books ended up failing the Oral twice and getting booted. Do yourself a favor and don't study anything that isn't provided by the company.

- Get started now with Shepherd Air's ATP multi-engine prep. Everyone who used it in my class scored >90% on the written (I scored 98% ;) ).
- You will get the study guide, the key things to learn that will get you ahead: Limitation memory items (Limitations section, bold items), your call outs, and your First Officer flows.
- Don't get too much in the weeds on the systems yet. The study guide doesn't go into the detail you need to understand them. You will have CBTs and class time to learn all about the systems. You don't want to learn something wrong the first time (Law of Primacy).

DiveAndDrive
05-14-2018, 12:11 PM
First of all, thank you all for the information. I just received the study guide.... WOW.

Iím assuming the 50 pages (alone!!!) of ďreview questionsĒ, plus memory items and limitations will be 98% of the oral?

MaxQ411
05-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Hello, all. I was recently offered a position, and I am very excited to start. I want to prepare as much as I possibly can before hand. I know they will send a study guide, and I also know I need to get my nose into Sheppard Air and start memorizing studying the ATP written. But I’m also looking at other things to study since I’m basically a workaholic with no life.

I’m looking at “Embraer 170/190 Pilot Trainer”, produced by Faraz Sheikh, “Aerosim Checkride E190”, produced by Aerosim, or the “E-170/175 Study App” produced by JETPUBS. I was wondering if anyone has ever used any of these apps, and have any feedback on the accuracy or relevance of the information. I’m kind of liking the Aerosim app because it looks like you can go through the panels and click on various switches (albeit, they’re not interactive) and it’ll tell you what that switch does. I think if I pair that with the study guide, I’ll be in a good spot. But again, I don’t know how accurate or relevant the information would be. That’s why I’m soliciting y’alls input.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to flying with you all!!!]

Hi there, welcome aboard. I just finished my type rating Oral and am going through sims at Flightsafety and check ride after that.

During day 2 of indoc, you'll get your Ipad with all the required manuals (Standard Operating Procedures, Aircraft Operations Manual, Quick Reference Handbook etc.). They will give you a Jetpubs chart with the flight deck layout as well. The study guide you got is a very good prep document for the oral - so refer to it often.

The systems training is done on a software called Ethos and it's pretty comprehensive, content rich and plenty of pictures/schematics etc. Don't waste your money on all the apps etc. The E170/175 is a pretty logically laid out airplane so don't sweat it ..

If you need to study for your ATP Written, by all means get the Sheppard App. After systems, you'll do about six sessions on the EFPT/GFS - essentially a non motion simulator with a realistic set of controls .. plenty of opportunity to learn systems, procedures and callouts.

v1Brotate
05-15-2018, 02:24 PM
]

Hi there, welcome aboard. I just finished my type rating Oral and am going through sims at Flightsafety and check ride after that.

During day 2 of indoc, you'll get your Ipad with all the required manuals (Standard Operating Procedures, Aircraft Operations Manual, Quick Reference Handbook etc.). They will give you a Jetpubs chart with the flight deck layout as well. The study guide you got is a very good prep document for the oral - so refer to it often.

The systems training is done on a software called Ethos and it's pretty comprehensive, content rich and plenty of pictures/schematics etc. Don't waste your money on all the apps etc. The E170/175 is a pretty logically laid out airplane so don't sweat it ..

If you need to study for your ATP Written, by all means get the Sheppard App. After systems, you'll do about six sessions on the EFPT/GFS - essentially a non motion simulator with a realistic set of controls .. plenty of opportunity to learn systems, procedures and callouts.

How was the oral?

MaxQ411
05-19-2018, 06:20 PM
How was the oral?

No surprises if you study & prepare. Master the Study Guide given to you. Read the Quick Reference Card & Memory Items. Learn your limitations (speeds, weights, fuel capacity, altitudes).

Examiners can ask questions outside the study guide but as I understand they can only fail you if you don't know the material from the study guide. My examiner focused on first level knowledge (they're not expecting you to, proverbially speaking, build the plane) but focused on scenario based questions that forced critical thinking. Crazy as it sounds, I actually enjoyed the oral and learned a lot.

DiveAndDrive
05-20-2018, 05:46 AM
Thank you all for the responses. Just out of curiosity, the QRC has 16 scenarios listed.

Iíve been told to memorize all the bold items, and the memory items for the QRC. The entire QRC is bolded, but there are only a few items that are boxed. I see the note that says the boxed items are memory items from the QRC. So this may be a dumb question, but should I have the entire QRC memorized, or just the boxed items?

The reason I ask is because if it is indeed just the boxed items, my Caravan has more memory items than the E jet. 😂

FlyGood
05-20-2018, 05:50 AM
Thank you all for the responses. Just out of curiosity, the QRC has 16 scenarios listed.

Iíve been told to memorize all the bold items, and the memory items for the QRC. The entire QRC is bolded, but there are only a few items that are boxed. I see the note that says the boxed items are memory items from the QRC. So this may be a dumb question, but should I have the entire QRC memorized, or just the boxed items?

The reason I ask is because if it is indeed just the boxed items, my Caravan has more memory items than the E jet. 😂

The bold items are for the limitations. Only items on the QRC you need memorized are the boxed ones. You are not the first to be shocked at how few memory items there are. Itís a pleasant surprise.

DiveAndDrive
05-20-2018, 07:11 AM
Wow. Thank you for the input!!

intherightseat
05-21-2018, 12:38 PM

The reason I ask is because if it is indeed just the boxed items, my Caravan has more memory items than the E jet. [emoji23]

Hahaha. I laughed at this, too. Our caravan has what... 13ish QRH memory item flows?

It sounds like a couple of memory items on the 170/75 and then all of the hard numbers from the two-part PDF to study pre-indoc.

Iím thinking of making an audio recording of the limitations so I can learn while I drive/commute. PM me if youíd be interested. Or even start a lil study group to get ahead of the plane, so-to-speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiveAndDrive
05-21-2018, 02:33 PM
I just PMíed you.

Geardownflaps30
05-22-2018, 05:52 AM
While you donít have to have the QRC memorized, you do need to know the 16 items on it so during one of those occasions you call for QRC and not the QRH.

DiveAndDrive
05-22-2018, 06:59 AM
While you donít have to have the QRC memorized, you do need to know the 16 items on it so during one of those occasions you call for QRC and not the QRH.

Oooh. That's a good point; thanks for making it. Here's another flash card to make =P

Random Task
05-22-2018, 06:02 PM
To follow up, the boxed stuff is the memory items, but you still need to know all 16 QRH procedures.

If you get a BATT OVERTEMP EICAS message and you call for the QRH you're going to look silly.

Geardownflaps30
05-23-2018, 04:53 AM
To follow up, the boxed stuff is the memory items, but you still need to know all 16 QRH procedures.

If you get a BATT OVERTEMP EICAS message and you call for the QRH you're going to look silly.

You meant “QRC”...16 QRC procedures.

knewyork
05-23-2018, 12:08 PM
You guys will appreciate how Republic flies this airplane when you go jumpseat with any other regional that flies it. Our checklists for the most part maximize the automation of the aircraft and itís all pretty simple.

DiveAndDrive
05-29-2018, 08:44 AM
For those of you who are awaiting class, I found a YouTube channel that seems to have good information. The channel is called DOPPLER VOR, and they have (what seem like) good videos about various aspects of the EJET.

JestersDead
06-02-2018, 08:05 AM
I wasn't really sure where to post this question but figured that people in this topic had relatively fresh interview experience with Republic. Could someone give a little bit of gouge? Thanx

Geardownflaps30
06-03-2018, 10:23 AM
I wasn't really sure where to post this question but figured that people in this topic had relatively fresh interview experience with Republic. Could someone give a little bit of gouge? Thanx

aviationinterviews.com

VASBYT
06-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Hey Y'all,

I am starting class in August. I am studying for a 135.293 oral and while doing that I kicked out a quick study guide sheet on the 170/175. All information used was derived from study guide sent to me by my recruiter. For the QRC items I used the boxed memory items. For the limitations I used all the bold items within the guide. I know for sure that this cannot be the only limitations items they want us to know. Please review the pdf I created and let me know if I am missing something. I know for sure I have to be.

For those who have already gone through the oral, if you are willing, can you give me any ideas on what more I should add. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

greendotplus10
06-13-2018, 02:33 PM
Hey Y'all,

I am starting class in August. I am studying for a 135.293 oral and while doing that I kicked out a quick study guide sheet on the 170/175. All information used was derived from study guide sent to me by my recruiter. For the QRC items I used the boxed memory items. For the limitations I used all the bold items within the guide. I know for sure that this cannot be the only limitations items they want us to know. Please review the pdf I created and let me know if I am missing something. I know for sure I have to be.

For those who have already gone through the oral, if you are willing, can you give me any ideas on what more I should add. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You've got the right idea. Just taking the information you are given and putting it in different formats is what it's all about. When it came time for flows and callouts, my chosen technique was to put the information into Google Sheets. Easy format to share with classmates too.

VASBYT
06-25-2018, 03:37 PM
You've got the right idea. Just taking the information you are given and putting it in different formats is what it's all about. When it came time for flows and callouts, my chosen technique was to put the information into Google Sheets. Easy format to share with classmates too.

I will doing my CTP in Dallas the end of July @ L3. What aircraft will be doing this in? Their website says they have the A320 and 737. In their course description it says ERJ190. Can anyone who recently completed their program fill me in.

Thank you!

mkbuzz1
06-25-2018, 03:49 PM
I will doing my CTP in Dallas the end of July @ L3. What aircraft will be doing this in? Their website says they have the A320 and 737. In their course description it says ERJ190. Can anyone who recently completed their program fill me in.

Thank you!

Just did their course about a month and a half ago. Most likely will be a 320. They have 4 a320 sims I believe and one 737 and one 175.

All the guys that teach the course there are great and very laid back.

DiveAndDrive
06-26-2018, 06:57 AM
Speaking of studying, can anyone help me with any kind of mnemonic to keep the APU limits in order? Thatís the only thing Iím struggling with. I know the numbers/altitudes. I just canít match them to what the limit is.

LoitaHills
07-20-2018, 05:53 AM
You guys will appreciate how Republic flies this airplane when you go jumpseat with any other regional that flies it. Our checklists for the most part maximize the automation of the aircraft and itís all pretty simple.

As one of the original operators of the E170/190, Republicís history on Ejet checklist philosophy stems from itís adoption of US Airwaysí operation of the E170. In 2005 when RAH acquired the Ejet fleet from US Airways, they adopted the same checklist format US Aiways used. Initially, the IND FSDO, for the sake of time, used the manufacturerís required format until Republic could submit and tweak the QRH and QRC. After that, only 9 QRC memory items. Yes, nine (9). And, most of these are single sentence memory items. Compare that to other Regional Ejet operators 11-17 memory items with grocery list sub-items to accomplish. Also, required briefings at Republic are...brief. No recitation of engine failure emergency procedures on every before takeoff checklist.

Every effort to use the KISS method at Republic is emphasized. That said, training material volume is intense. Unlike other regionals that will give you all the SIM time you need (i.e., CommuteAir, PSA), Republic expects you to finish training for your type in 32 hours ( 8 SIM sessions)...then Type ride, then LOFT. Additional SIMs are on I/E/APD/DoT discretion. Come prepared to learn. If you have poor study habits/discipline, you will have difficulty.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1