Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Platapus
05-13-2018, 10:53 PM
Hello!
I currently work for a part 135 operator and put in about 240 hours of duty time a month. I was wondering how much duty time a first officer does a month? I was thinking of making the jump if it is substantially lower. I appreciate everyone’s input!
Thanks,
Platapus

CBreezy
05-14-2018, 05:45 AM
Hello!
I currently work for a part 135 operator and put in about 240 hours of duty time a month. I was wondering how much duty time a first officer does a month? I was thinking of making the jump if it is substantially lower. I appreciate everyone’s input!
Thanks,
Platapus

FAR 117 limits duty time per week to 60 hours in the preceding 7 days. The TSA contract requires 11-12 days off per month and a calendar day rest every 7 days.

minimwage4
05-14-2018, 06:28 AM
Hello!
Thanks,
Platapus

Probably a wash. Maybe slightly less than that. You’ll fly a lot more than charter though so I don’t know what’s more tiring, waiting around or flying more.

CptnSnoopDizzle
05-14-2018, 07:17 AM
I flew on demand 135 for quite a while. It is terrible compared to 121. Having a schedule at a regional is way better.

CBreezy
05-14-2018, 07:32 AM
Probably a wash. Maybe slightly less than that. You’ll fly a lot more than charter though so I don’t know what’s more tiring, waiting around or flying more.

The math doesn't support a wash. 12 days off in a 31 day month at 12 hours of duty per day is 228. That's worst case scenario really. Realistically, you'll probably average 10 hours of duty each day and that puts you at 190 hours. If you have more than min days off, you'll have even less.

minimwage4
05-14-2018, 06:18 PM
The math doesn't support a wash. 12 days off in a 31 day month at 12 hours of duty per day is 228. That's worst case scenario really. Realistically, you'll probably average 10 hours of duty each day and that puts you at 190 hours. If you have more than min days off, you'll have even less.

Got it... Thanks. And so worst case scenario, which is for most of the new hires today, is 228, compared to 240. So around 12 hours less. Add in commuting time and you’re probably at 240 or more.

Platapus
05-14-2018, 08:45 PM
I appreciate everyone’s help!
Thanks again,
Platapus

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1