Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Clouds on the horizon.

JoeMerchant
05-15-2018, 05:58 PM
Storm clouds are forming on the horizon....TSA losing the AA flying was only the beginning for TSA holdings. GoJet flying for United and Delta is next on the chopping block. Uncle Hulas is going to cash out and retire...

NobodyLikesMe
05-15-2018, 07:09 PM
No way. Trans States has MRJ's on order and options for more too. We also just got a flow with Frontier.

brokepilot2
05-15-2018, 07:17 PM
Donít forget those awesome E2ís that Holdings has on order that are totally scope compliant!

FlyingKat
05-15-2018, 09:11 PM
Storm clouds are forming on the horizon....TSA losing the AA flying was only the beginning for TSA holdings. GoJet flying for United and Delta is next on the chopping block. Uncle Hulas is going to cash out and retire...

Just clearing the decks for a buyout. UAL has what it wanted, the AA flying is gone. Look for Trans States to get bought next, probably by Republic and may involve Commutair somehow, Gojet Comair planes to Endeavor, Gojet UAL 700s to be replaced by Republic 175s, and Compass to be bought by RP as well.....

We will be just fine, thanks.

Lampshade2
05-15-2018, 10:09 PM
Just clearing the decks for a buyout. UAL has what it wanted, the AA flying is gone. Look for Trans States to get bought next, probably by Republic and may involve Commutair somehow, Gojet Comair planes to Endeavor, Gojet UAL 700s to be replaced by Republic 175s, and Compass to be bought by RP as well.....

We will be just fine, thanks.

I can't speak about the Commutair or Endeavor planes. However, I would expect in the next week or so for an announcement that Republic will be absorbing a big piece of Trans States Holdings. BB has already said on multiple occasions that something big is coming and with F. Oxley in Indy almost weekly, it is only a matter of time before the announcement comes. Everyone here at YX is excited for the move because it advances our west coast presence that we are severely lacking.

It sounds like both companies will operate independently for an undisclosed period of time. When the 145 contract TSA signed with UA runs out, the 145's will be removed from service (I believe somewhere around 2022.) By that time the infamous MRJ that TSA guys talk about all the time should be rolled out and fully integrated in the YX network

Knobcrk1
05-16-2018, 12:14 AM
I can't speak about the Commutair or Endeavor planes. However, I would expect in the next week or so for an announcement that Republic will be absorbing a big piece of Trans States Holdings. BB has already said on multiple occasions that something big is coming and with F. Oxley in Indy almost weekly, it is only a matter of time before the announcement comes. Everyone here at YX is excited for the move because it advances our west coast presence that we are severely lacking.

It sounds like both companies will operate independently for an undisclosed period of time. When the 145 contract TSA signed with UA runs out, the 145's will be removed from service (I believe somewhere around 2022.) By that time the infamous MRJ that TSA guys talk about all the time should be rolled out and fully integrated in the YX network

There was a TSA memo that came out saying there’s going to be an announcement in about a week regarding an “agreement”. They’re getting documents ready. There was 0 indication from it though that were being bought, just regarding flying. I would think they would have at least hinted at it so they keep guys from bailing. It could be just a Compass buyout. I’d believe more a commutair/TSA merge than RAH but you never know.

TJBrass
05-16-2018, 03:33 AM
"Everyone here at YX is excited for the move because it advances our west coast presence that we are severely lacking".

Anyone who has been through a seniority list integration is NOT excited.

FlyingKat
05-16-2018, 05:26 AM
There was a TSA memo that came out saying thereís going to be an announcement in about a week regarding an ďagreementĒ. Theyíre getting documents ready. There was 0 indication from it though that were being bought, just regarding flying. I would think they would have at least hinted at it so they keep guys from bailing. It could be just a Compass buyout. Iíd believe more a commutair/TSA merge than RAH but you never know.

Keep in mind UAL wanted the XRs at Trans States and Commutair at the same carrier. What I heard is a buyout by Republic, Trans States XRs and maybe Commutair XRs to Republic, Compass to Republic, Gojet Comair 700s to Endeavor, and Gojet 700 UAL flying to be replaced by Republic 175s. XRs will keep flying until UAL contract will allow more large RJs, then will be replaced by 175s.

Once again, until BB and HK consummate this deal, nothing is guaranteed till the announcement happens. We'll see but something is coming.

RP payrates here we come. Woot. Woot.

FlyingKat
05-16-2018, 05:28 AM
"Everyone here at YX is excited for the move because it advances our west coast presence that we are severely lacking".

Anyone who has been through a seniority list integration is NOT excited.

There is so much movement going on and everyone is so short on pilots right now I suspect this won't be much of an issue. Probably the bigger issue will be selecting a union and the whole ALPA vs Teamsters thing, and then getting a new joint contract.

Let the games begin. Should be interesting however this goes down.

FlyingKat
05-16-2018, 05:30 AM
There was a TSA memo that came out saying thereís going to be an announcement in about a week regarding an ďagreementĒ. Theyíre getting documents ready. There was 0 indication from it though that were being bought, just regarding flying. I would think they would have at least hinted at it so they keep guys from bailing. It could be just a Compass buyout. Iíd believe more a commutair/TSA merge than RAH but you never know.

Dude its TSA. Remember when Fred said the Richmond base wasn't closing and it closed within a week? We will be the last to hear anything concrete from our management. FO will probably toss out a memo as he is running out of the door at HQ.

minimwage4
05-16-2018, 07:05 AM

I still think this is just a rumor to keep rats from jumping ship but even if there were a buyout and it makes sense to keep TSA separate, would they have to bring tsa into one seniority list?

FlyingKat
05-16-2018, 09:47 AM
I still think this is just a rumor to keep rats from jumping ship but even if there were a buyout and it makes sense to keep TSA separate, would they have to bring tsa into one seniority list?

Yes RP contract requires one list and one contract. Why would BB be interested in keeping TSA pilots from jumping ship unless he wants the company?

Lampshade2
05-16-2018, 04:21 PM
Yes seniority lists will have to be integrated. From the sounds of the details and the plan to keep the two companies separate until the 145 contracts are up, the seniority list of the 145 pilots should be about the same as they stand at TSA. For the GoJet and Compass guys though who will be on the 175 then that might be a much bigger issue. Not sure what they plan to do with that. With the different unions involved it will no doubt be a headache.

mpet
05-16-2018, 05:36 PM
Yes seniority lists will have to be integrated. From the sounds of the details and the plan to keep the two companies separate until the 145 contracts are up, the seniority list of the 145 pilots should be about the same as they stand at TSA. For the GoJet and Compass guys though who will be on the 175 then that might be a much bigger issue. Not sure what they plan to do with that. With the different unions involved it will no doubt be a headache.

hopefully compass doesn't get bought by republic and instead by delta and helps kick-start the e175 at endeavor. I don't wanna merge with the toonsters or republic whatsoever

FlyingKat
05-17-2018, 01:00 AM

With all the movement and need for pilots, I don't think the integration will be a huge issue, but the election deciding Union representation will probably be a freakshow.

FlyingKat
05-17-2018, 01:02 AM
hopefully compass doesn't get bought by republic and instead by delta and helps kick-start the e175 at endeavor. I don't wanna merge with the toonsters or republic whatsoever

From what I hear the Compass west coast operation is the main reason Bedford wants TSH, soooo.......looks like you're in...

CBreezy
05-17-2018, 07:19 AM

Lol.

Yeah. Delta is in the market for another regional when they are having no trouble filling classes at their WOd....::rolls eyes::

mpet
05-17-2018, 11:10 AM
Lol.

Yeah. Delta is in the market for another regional when they are having no trouble filling classes at their WOd....::rolls eyes::

?? endeavor literally slowed classes down because they're fat on FOs. Everyone is having trouble hiring. And with just the delta birds thats 200 pilots fat if the AA planes go back to envoy.

CBreezy
05-17-2018, 11:29 AM
?? endeavor literally slowed classes down because they're fat on FOs. Everyone is having trouble hiring. And with just the delta birds thats 200 pilots fat if the AA planes go back to envoy.

Right. Why would Delta but a regional when they can hire off the street with less hassle. They aren't buying compass

mpet
05-17-2018, 11:34 AM
Right. Why would Delta but a regional when they can hire off the street with less hassle. They aren't buying compass

oh i just woke up, i read it like you were saying they were having problems hiring. disregard. I obviously just don't want to be bought by republic.

Bonanzer
05-18-2018, 08:19 AM

The teamsters have screwed us over a few times but Iíd still take them over alpa. Remember endeavor alpa started the 12/4 longevity scale a few years back. All in all as of 2015 and later Iíve been happy with the teamsters. On the rah side we are hearing all 3 tsh Airlines with a wind down erjís and crjís. After the nightmare of a seniority integration, I think it will be a good thing. Hopefully it will give the contract carriers a little more price control and in turn raise wages.

Belushi
05-19-2018, 01:47 PM
JoeMerchant sure does have a reputation on the expressjet forums. He started the same smoke and mirrors discussion over there and lots of opinions started flying.

Metering
05-21-2018, 01:51 PM
Empty post.. move along...

glassnpowder98
05-24-2018, 09:45 PM

Donít want to **** in your Cheerios too much, but our group 1 Captain pay rates (which include the 145) werenít renegotiated in this last LOA. First Officer pay is as advertised in the new LOA across the board. Hopefully they are better than what you make now, if a merger were to occur, but this is how they currently look.

Yr1: 68.39
Yr5: 76.97
Yr10: 89.23
Yr15: 103.44
Yr20: 113.08

Itís about a $2/hr increase per year between the gaps I posted.

C37AFE
05-29-2018, 11:09 AM
Republic boys are saying the big announcement is Thursday at 1230.

FlyingKat
05-29-2018, 04:53 PM

Yep been hearing rumors of the same. On the Trans States side its being floated as a big upcoming announcement about new flying....

minimwage4
05-29-2018, 07:36 PM

Are they planning on a late lunch?

No Lies
05-30-2018, 05:44 AM
I was told that XJT is ending the UA feed as well and it is getting split up between the other carriers.

JuniorFO
05-30-2018, 06:24 AM
I was told that XJT is ending the UA feed as well and it is getting split up between the other carriers.

Now that's a good one! Who is going to cover roughly 13,000 flights a month that XJT does for United? They are also the second largest UAX carrier that out performs every UAX carrier each month, while covering flying for other UAX carriers. TYS opening soon. Increasing block hours for United each month. Look at the facts.

Blackhawk
05-30-2018, 08:08 AM

UAL already tried this. Gave some ERJ's to CommutAir, but that fell flat.

FlyingKat
05-31-2018, 08:49 AM

Was a complete bust. Video didn't even work. RP types are saying its about Bedfords new flight school scheme.

Update: Video is finally working

Knobcrk1
05-31-2018, 09:23 AM
I know a few guys trying to leave but are waiting on the new “agreement” TSA is supposedly working on. This latest rumor bust doesn’t help.

FlyingKat
05-31-2018, 09:27 AM
I know a few guys trying to leave but are waiting on the new “agreement” TSA is supposedly working on. This latest rumor bust doesn’t help.

No but the rumors were that Republic had two big projects they were working on. Some kind of flight school and a merger/buyout. The first part has proven to be true. Still waiting on the second....

Thought this announcement today might be about us only because I didn't think they would make such a big deal about a flight school. It was really over the top, but now that this is out of the way hopefully we will hear something about the future of TSA sooner rather than later.

Knobcrk1
05-31-2018, 09:42 AM
Yea itís hard to believe that with so many rumors of mergers flying around, nothings been confirmed yet. Not sure what the holdup could be.

FlyingKat
05-31-2018, 09:55 AM
Yea itís hard to believe that with so many rumors of mergers flying around, nothings been confirmed yet. Not sure what the holdup could be.

Meeting Hulas' price....

minimwage4
06-01-2018, 07:19 AM
No but the rumors were that Republic had two big projects they were working on. Some kind of flight school and a merger/buyout. The first part has proven to be true. Still waiting on the second....

Thought this announcement today might be about us only because I didn't think they would make such a big deal about a flight school. It was really over the top, but now that this is out of the way hopefully we will hear something about the future of TSA sooner rather than later.

I wouldnít hold your breath. Compass and Gojet are Hulasís prized possessions. TSA has always been screwed by him. It makes no sense for Republic to get involved in the 50 seat game unless theyíre deciding on ending the 50 seat flying early.

3rdGen
06-01-2018, 09:52 AM
i wouldnít hold your breath. Compass and gojet are hulasís prized possessions. Tsa has always been screwed by him. It makes no sense for republic to get involved in the 50 seat game unless theyíre deciding on ending the 50 seat flying early.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

FlyingKat
06-02-2018, 12:03 PM
I wouldnít hold your breath. Compass and Gojet are Hulasís prized possessions. TSA has always been screwed by him. It makes no sense for Republic to get involved in the 50 seat game unless theyíre deciding on ending the 50 seat flying early.

United wants those XRs flying, and will pay well to keep them flying. Bedford will do anything if the price is right.

WildBlue025
06-02-2018, 02:34 PM
Can we call it a day with all the nonsense buyout/merger/flow/etc rumors? Its getting pretty pathetic at this point. Its like watching a bunch of sad puppies at a mall pet store desperately waiting for a new owner.... Guess what... No matter how many times BB or any other CEO walks past the window, theyíre just gona keep walking. Nobody wants to touch this operation with a 10-foot pole. Time to deal with the fact that you chose a trash airline and maybe even moved to RDU or DC for a company that prides itself on lying through its teeth to its own employees. If you wana work for Republic so bad then iím pretty sure theyíre hiring. And if not then maybe you can get a job as a CFI at their new flight school and maybe one day work your way up to the right seat of that shiny new E-175. Godspeed.

m20cmark21
06-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Can we call it a day with all the nonsense buyout/merger/flow/etc rumors? Its getting pretty pathetic at this point. Its like watching a bunch of sad puppies at a mall pet store desperately waiting for a new owner.... Guess what... No matter how many times BB or any other CEO walks past the window, theyíre just gona keep walking. Nobody wants to touch this operation with a 10-foot pole. Time to deal with the fact that you chose a trash airline and maybe even moved to RDU or DC for a company that prides itself on lying through its teeth to its own employees. If you wana work for Republic so bad then iím pretty sure theyíre hiring. And if not then maybe you can get a job as a CFI at their new flight school and maybe one day work your way up to the right seat of that shiny new E-175. Godspeed.

Agree about putting an end to the merger rumors, but ouch... trash airline? That's a bit rough. I agree that the east coast situation is a bit unfortunate for all who came here specifically for those domiciles (DCA, IAD, RDU), but the truth is that TSA is a pretty great place to be for some of us. Whether it's lying or incompetence of some upper management and their "people skills" we will never know, but at least they are keeping us profitable and in business. We have a great contract, DEN and ORD are forecast to grow on the UA side, and I'd like to think we do a good job of filling a certain market niche. Life is good here for me. Logic would dictate though that 50-seat airplanes can't last forever, especially with a long-term increase in fuel prices.

brokepilot2
06-02-2018, 05:28 PM
Agree about putting an end to the merger rumors, but ouch... trash airline? That's a bit rough. I agree that the east coast situation is a bit unfortunate for all who came here specifically for those domiciles (DCA, IAD, RDU), but the truth is that TSA is a pretty great place to be for some of us. Whether it's lying or incompetence of some upper management and their "people skills" we will never know, but at least they are keeping us profitable and in business. We have a great contract, DEN and ORD are forecast to grow on the UA side, and I'd like to think we do a good job of filling a certain market niche. Life is good here for me. Logic would dictate though that 50-seat airplanes can't last forever, especially with a long-term increase in fuel prices.

Youíre either:
1. Management
2. A super senior captain who hasnít yet been affected by managements poor decision making
3. Drinking some next level koolaid

For many of us here, we canít even make plans on our days off anymore because there is such a high risk of junior assignment. Our pay is towards the bottom of the industry. A lot of people donít want to see our flying move west. Considering that 60% of the US population lives east of the Mississippi, itís going to hurt recruiting efforts even more. No one who lives in the east wants to commute to DEN. Weíre also losing 5-10% of our pilot group every month, which certainly doesnít help QOL for those that are still around. This place is a raging dumpster fire and I hope for your sake that you have your apps out.

minimwage4
06-02-2018, 07:06 PM
You’re either:
1. Management
2. A super senior captain who hasn’t yet been affected by managements poor decision making
3. Drinking some next level koolaid

For many of us here, we can’t even make plans on our days off anymore because there is such a high risk of junior assignment. Our pay is towards the bottom of the industry. A lot of people don’t want to see our flying move west. Considering that 60% of the US population lives east of the Mississippi, it’s going to hurt recruiting efforts even more. No one who lives in the east wants to commute to DEN. We’re also losing 5-10% of our pilot group every month, which certainly doesn’t help QOL for those that are still around. This place is a raging dumpster fire and I hope for your sake that you have your apps out.

They know they’re going to focus in the Midwest and are losing the flying out east. They’d love to have you but they really don’t need you either anymore. They’ll lose a dozen or so planes reducing the amount of pilots needed anyways.

FlyingKat
06-02-2018, 09:35 PM

Bitter much?

WildBlue025
06-03-2018, 04:38 AM
Bitter much?

No, iím not bitter. Iím not the one salivating with every nonsense rumor of a buyout or merger. I see things for what they are, and I chose this airline for a few specific reasons which all ended up working out for me. Iím not complaining about my time here because I got exactly what I expected out of it, nothing more. When the time comes that I canít bear working here without fantasizing of a possible merger with a bigger/better regional then iíll know itís time to leave. But itís just sad to watch people spinning their wheels every two weeks whenever somebody hears from their sim partners cousin at Republic that Uncle Huley is in Indy signing the papers. Its pathetic and it makes this pilot group look even sadder than we already are.

C37AFE
06-03-2018, 06:52 AM
The merger/buyout rumors are getting old for me also. I chose TSA for certain reasons also. If you read any other company forum to include the legacyís everyone is complaining so we all live in a world where the grass is greener on the other side. I sure like being out of the military and live in domicile so my grass is green in life now. Not saying I wouldnít like it greener, but tired of hearing about how itís not grass at all and really a stink weed

Knobcrk1
06-03-2018, 07:21 AM
The merger/buyout rumors are getting old for me also. I chose TSA for certain reasons also. If you read any other company forum to include the legacyís everyone is complaining so we all live in a world where the grass is greener on the other side. I sure like being out of the military and live in domicile so my grass is green in life now. Not saying I wouldnít like it greener, but tired of hearing about how itís not grass at all and really a stink weed

The grass is definitely not greener. Unless you go to United or somethin.. But every company has its BS. Those guys leaving for Envoy or WO are going to be used and abused on min days off too. Management needs to focus on having a quality operation. I donít understand why they are so obsessed whith flying as many aircraft as possible. They need to just set a manageable goal that will benefit them and wonít put a strain on the labor groups.

chrisreedrules
06-03-2018, 07:38 AM
The grass is definitely not greener. Unless you go to United or somethin.. But every company has its BS. Those guys leaving for Envoy or WO are going to be used and abused on min days off too. Management needs to focus on having a quality operation. I donít understand why they are so obsessed whith flying as many aircraft as possible. They need to just set a manageable goal that will benefit them and wonít put a strain on the labor groups.

There is some truth to what youíre saying. But I think any regional pilot with at least a year or two of experience should be looking at an LCC. New TAs and pay rates abound and their contracts are far superior to most regional contracts.

Belushi
06-03-2018, 08:47 AM
No, iím not bitter. Iím not the one salivating with every nonsense rumor of a buyout or merger. I see things for what they are, and I chose this airline for a few specific reasons which all ended up working out for me. Iím not complaining about my time here because I got exactly what I expected out of it, nothing more. When the time comes that I canít bear working here without fantasizing of a possible merger with a bigger/better regional then iíll know itís time to leave. But itís just sad to watch people spinning their wheels every two weeks whenever somebody hears from their sim partners cousin at Republic that Uncle Huley is in Indy signing the papers. Its pathetic and it makes this pilot group look even sadder than we already are.

Self serving, attention seeking, even insulting those of us that are in a tight spot. You should be ashamed. We don't need to listen to you selfishly try to feel better about yourself to know what our situation is.

FlyingKat
06-03-2018, 11:02 AM

Who's salivating? But if you don't realize regional consolidation is coming then you aren't paying attention. Further if you don't want to look around you and see what is going on, once again its up to you. The only people I've seen salivating are the Republic dudes salivating over Compass' west coast operation.

FlyingKat
06-03-2018, 11:06 AM

They may be used and abused, but they are getting used and abused here. Difference is if they go to Envoy or WO they will have $44,000 cash on day one, and better pay rates soon. Its almost a no brainer if you are an FO or Junior Captain, particularly if you want to stay on the East Coast. Also the comments of our esteemed company attorney in the recent contract negotiations aren't helpful.

FlyingKat
06-03-2018, 11:08 AM

Yeah but they aren't going away any time soon, until the regional consolidation shakeout.

Knobcrk1
06-03-2018, 04:09 PM
They may be used and abused, but they are getting used and abused here. Difference is if they go to Envoy or WO they will have $44,000 cash on day one, and better pay rates soon. Its almost a no brainer if you are an FO or Junior Captain, particularly if you want to stay on the East Coast. Also the comments of our esteemed company attorney in the recent contract negotiations aren't helpful.

Well I agree for the ones that are out East it’s a no brainer. I would have left yesterday if it was me. I’m not sure why you’d still be here right now if you’re Iad or Rdu based. But if it wasn’t for the basing, grass over there is probably the same as here, it’s a regional.

WildBlue025
06-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Self serving, attention seeking, even insulting those of us that are in a tight spot. You should be ashamed. We don't need to listen to you selfishly try to feel better about yourself to know what our situation is.

LMAO, insulting those of us in a tight spot???? Up until recently I was doing a two-leg commute to reserve in a co-domicile... spare me the crocodile tears Sallie. And even I didn't have it as bad as the guys who moved their families to RDU or DC for this company and will soon be forced to commute to DEN if ORD goes senior which I'm sure it will. I'd be happy as anyone if this company gets bought and things get turned around. I'm just saying we should quit it with these nonsense rumors every two weeks that make us look pathetic. Things are bad right now but not so bad we need to be drooling over every rumor that gets passed around from the jumpseat.

WildBlue025
06-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Who's salivating? But if you don't realize regional consolidation is coming then you aren't paying attention. Further if you don't want to look around you and see what is going on, once again its up to you. The only people I've seen salivating are the Republic dudes salivating over Compass' west coast operation.

I agree completely that the industry is being forced in that direction. And I'm hoping that we do get new ownership and a new direction for this pilot group which absolutely deserves it. I just think its a tough look for us to be promoting these merger rumors only to get drastically disappointed every few weeks. My post wasn't directed at you personally, in fact if you're the person that your username leads me to believe you are then I think you're a good pilot and a good person so if anything lets just agree to disagree.

CBreezy
06-03-2018, 08:29 PM
LMAO, insulting those of us in a tight spot???? Up until recently I was doing a two-leg commute to reserve in a co-domicile... spare me the crocodile tears Sallie. And even I didn't have it as bad as the guys who moved their families to RDU or DC for this company and will soon be forced to commute to DEN if ORD goes senior which I'm sure it will. I'd be happy as anyone if this company gets bought and things get turned around. I'm just saying we should quit it with these nonsense rumors every two weeks that make us look pathetic. Things are bad right now but not so bad we need to be drooling over every rumor that gets passed around from the jumpseat.

If you get displaced, don't you get a paid move?

FlyingKat
06-04-2018, 12:24 AM
If you get displaced, don't you get a paid move?

Only if you physically move to your new base. If you are a commuter then you don't.

CBreezy
06-04-2018, 05:29 AM
Only if you physically move to your new base. If you are a commuter then you don't.

Meaning, if you moved your family to RDU, take the free move to Denver

WildBlue025
06-04-2018, 05:44 AM
Meaning, if you moved your family to RDU, take the free move to Denver

The ďfreeĒ move aka taking a loss on the house you bought, have your wife quit her job and start searching for a new one across the country with absolutely 0 prospects, move your kids away from their family/friends and send them to a new school where they donít know a single person..... its a real piece of cake. And you can say iím exxagerating but I know more than one person who this will be a reality for.

Blackhawk
06-04-2018, 06:20 AM
Never, ever buy a house as a regional pilot.

WildBlue025
06-04-2018, 06:29 AM

So true. Unless youíre extremely confident in your abilities as a long distance landlord. I know a few people who have made it work like that but canít imagine the headache that must be.

CBreezy
06-04-2018, 07:08 AM
The ďfreeĒ move aka taking a loss on the house you bought, have your wife quit her job and start searching for a new one across the country with absolutely 0 prospects, move your kids away from their family/friends and send them to a new school where they donít know a single person..... its a real piece of cake. And you can say iím exxagerating but I know more than one person who this will be a reality for.

Isn't that what they did when they first took the job? I'm not saying it's easy, but he chose to move to the domicile in the first place.

WildBlue025
06-04-2018, 07:16 AM
Isn't that what they did when they first took the job? I'm not saying it's easy, but he chose to move to the domicile in the first place.

Yeah I get what youíre saying. But a lot of the guys iíve talked to moved to RDU or DC from somewhere on the east coast like Florida or Tennesee and have family in the surrounding states. Moving to DEN is a whole different ballgame for a lot of people. Plus theres the fact that moving twice in 3 years for the same company is just flat out annoying. Then again, we donít even know for certain which bases are closing and when so itís probably too early to start crying foul anyway.

Knobcrk1
06-04-2018, 07:24 AM
Yeah I get what you’re saying. But a lot of the guys i’ve talked to moved to RDU or DC from somewhere on the east coast like Florida or Tennesee and have family in the surrounding states. Moving to DEN is a whole different ballgame for a lot of people. Plus theres the fact that moving twice in 3 years for the same company is just flat out annoying. Then again, we don’t even know for certain which bases are closing and when so it’s probably too early to start crying foul anyway.

There’s no way someone would choose to move to Denver or Ord from Rdu or Iad unlesss they’re single. They might try a commute to Ord but those flights are always oversold. Or if you hate yourself you can do Iad/Rdu to Den commute. That makes no sense when there’s so many other regional options out East. Rdu to clt is like a 20 min flight. Or DC/Iad to Jfk/Lga. At least you’re less than an hour away if you choose to commute.

CBreezy
06-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Thereís no way someone would choose to move to Denver or Ord from Rdu or Iad unlesss theyíre single. They might try a commute to Ord but those flights are always oversold. Or if you hate yourself you can do Iad/Rdu to Den commute. That makes no sense when thereís so many other regional options out East. Rdu to clt is like a 20 min flight. Or DC/Iad to Jfk/Lga. At least youíre less than an hour away if you choose to commute.

If they moved to RDU for the job, why wouldn't they move to ORD or DEN? Other than family being close, both Chicago and Denver offer plenty of employment opportunities.

WildBlue025
06-04-2018, 10:26 AM
If they moved to RDU for the job, why wouldn't they move to ORD or DEN? Other than family being close, both Chicago and Denver offer plenty of employment opportunities.

ORD will likely go very senior being the first choice for all the east coast displacements, especially on the CA side. Hopefully there will be enough extra flying out of ORD to accomodate everyone but its likely that many will be displaced to DEN. Cost of living increase between RDU and ORD/DEN is pretty significant.

Itís not like people moved from Seattle to RDU for the job. Many guys moved from FL or other places in the Carolinas. Picking up and moving to DEN is a much bigger deal for most people than you make it out to be. Hence why 8 out of the past 9 foís iíve flown with the past month have class dates at Piedmont or Envoy.

C37AFE
06-04-2018, 01:51 PM
Just glad my entire new hire class wanted DEN Iím good with STL or ORD. At least they did when we were in training

Brown Boeing FO
06-04-2018, 04:41 PM
I did after three years at TSA, still in the same house 16 years later. J-41 Captain house!!! Saved our @sses when I was the victim of a BS furlough for two years! Price out rentals when you need a three bedroom, my mortgage was LOWER than the rent quotes I got!

The main caveat, I was already living in STL before I hired into the Indian Labour Camp.

Knobcrk1
06-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Just glad my entire new hire class wanted DEN Iím good with STL or ORD. At least they did when we were in training

Yea it could be a good recruiting tool for West coast pilots. Maybe they can push for more western destinations too if they plan on adding more Den flying.

havick206
06-05-2018, 05:41 AM
Yea it could be a good recruiting tool for West coast pilots. Maybe they can push for more western destinations too if they plan on adding more Den flying.

If theyíre adding more flying where are the aircraft coming from if theyíre losing the AA 145ís from the TSA fleet?

brokepilot2
06-05-2018, 06:19 AM
If theyíre adding more flying where are the aircraft coming from if theyíre losing the AA 145ís from the TSA fleet?

There are 10 planes that have been parked behind the hangar in STL due to not being able to staff them. Theyíre going to pull them out of storage. So itís only a net loss of 4 airframes. That said, if attrition continues down its current path, they still wonít be able to staff those planes even with the AA flying gone.

havick206
06-05-2018, 06:55 AM
There are 10 planes that have been parked behind the hangar in STL due to not being able to staff them. Theyíre going to pull them out of storage. So itís only a net loss of 4 airframes. That said, if attrition continues down its current path, they still wonít be able to staff those planes even with the AA flying gone.

How much are the east coast RTP guys on the hook for?

m20cmark21
06-06-2018, 12:34 PM
How much are the east coast RTP guys on the hook for?

Zero. The RTP costs are paid out in lieu of the new-hire bonus. As with the bonus there is no "hook," it is just paid out over time to "sweeten the deal" the longer you stay.

C37AFE
06-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Zero. The RTP costs are paid out in lieu of the new-hire bonus. As with the bonus there is no "hook," it is just paid out over time to "sweeten the deal" the longer you stay.
All the RTP guys in my indoc had to sign a contract that I didnít so Iím not sure about that. Seemed like it was a prorated payback for the look over the shoulder to me

m20cmark21
06-06-2018, 03:59 PM
All the RTP guys in my indoc had to sign a contract that I didnít so Iím not sure about that. Seemed like it was a prorated payback for the look over the shoulder to me

My bad, I usually check my facts. I apologize, the couple RTP guys I've talked to just said it came out of their "new hire bonus." It definitely is hard to keep up with all of the bonus structures these days.

Purpleanga
06-06-2018, 09:34 PM
Whatís the attrition like?

FlyingKat
06-06-2018, 09:52 PM
Whatís the attrition like?

Hasn't been good, but will likely get worse after July 15.

Purpleanga
06-06-2018, 10:55 PM
Hasn't been good, but will likely get worse after July 15.

Whatís happening July 15?

Metering
06-07-2018, 04:40 AM
Whatís happening July 15?

They get their retention bonus. Once its paid out they have no true reason to stay anymore. Captains too.

FlyingKat
06-07-2018, 04:43 AM
They get their retention bonus. Once its paid out they have no true reason to stay anymore. Captains too.

Yep. Last retention bonus and no retention bonus program on the horizon either.

brokepilot2
06-07-2018, 06:41 AM
Thereís also a lot of CAís who have CJOís but are waiting for class dates because itís summer time and training departments are slowed down. Come August and September thereís going to be another mass exodus.

minimwage4
06-07-2018, 07:54 AM
Come August and September there’s going to be another mass exodus.

Just in time for the reduction in AA flying. They probably think we might be over staffed!

brokepilot2
06-07-2018, 10:01 AM
Just in time for the reduction in AA flying. They probably think we might be over staffed!

With the HKís that are coming back online, itís only a net loss of 4 airframes. Assuming 4 crews per plane, thatís only 32 pilots less that are needed. Considering that weíre running with less than 4 per plane that number is probably even smaller.

Skyhook
06-07-2018, 01:47 PM
I thought the bonus was going to be on the June 30th paycheck. I have to wait until July 15th now.

FlyingKat
06-07-2018, 06:24 PM

UAL wants us to increase utilization on the XRs so we won't be overstaffed anytime soon...

Knobcrk1
06-17-2018, 05:23 AM
For what it's worth there was a memo like 3 weeks ago that said they'll announce new flying next week from then. I guess they just casually slipped that in there when it was really a lie.

chrisreedrules
06-17-2018, 09:07 AM
For what it's worth there was a memo like 3 weeks ago that said they'll announce new flying next week from then. I guess they just casually slipped that in there when it was really a lie.

Which legacy even has capacity to award, ďnewĒ flying right now after AA pulled the 145s? UA is scoped out and DA is doing the same as AA and pulling back on itís partnerships with so many different regionals.

FlyingKat
06-19-2018, 09:48 PM
Which legacy even has capacity to award, ďnewĒ flying right now after AA pulled the 145s? UA is scoped out and DA is doing the same as AA and pulling back on itís partnerships with so many different regionals.

UA is only scoped out on large RJS. No limits on 50 seaters.

FlyingKat
06-19-2018, 09:50 PM

Supposedly it was brought up in a CKA meeting a couple of weeks ago and they said they had contracts on the desk. Kinda hard to believe we get more flying when we can't even staff what is on our plate now. May be related to some kind of merger/buyout but you never know. Company call tomorrow should be interesting, to say the least.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1