Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Commuter friendly bases?

surfpilot1414
05-17-2018, 08:14 AM
Tried finding a thread on this but was unsuccessful, if someone can point me on the right direction it would be awesome. Which bases have the most commutable trips? Iíve looked at the amount of flights between the cities Iím just wondering about trips. Iím looking at DCA, EWR, LGA, CMH, PHL. Thanks in advance.

Geardownflaps30
05-17-2018, 08:22 AM
Tried finding a thread on this but was unsuccessful, if someone can point me on the right direction it would be awesome. Which bases have the most commutable trips? Iíve looked at the amount of flights between the cities Iím just wondering about trips. Iím looking at DCA, EWR, LGA, CMH, PHL. Thanks in advance.

Hard to say. Each personís definition of ďcommutableĒ varies depending on the service from their home airport. For example, the last flight home from my base is at 10pm, first flight into base arrives at 715am, so a trip thatís commutable for me is completely different for someone whose last flight to their home is at 6pm from their base and whose first flight in doesnít arrive until 11am (such as at my old base).

Generally speaking...generally...hub bases will have more commuting options (and therefore be more commutable) than an outstation base.

surfpilot1414
05-17-2018, 08:56 AM
Hard to say. Each personís definition of ďcommutableĒ varies depending on the service from their home airport. For example, the last flight home from my base is at 10pm, first flight into base arrives at 715am, so a trip thatís commutable for me is completely different for someone whose last flight to their home is at 6pm from their base and whose first flight in doesnít arrive until 11am (such as at my old base).

Generally speaking...generally...hub bases will have more commuting options (and therefore be more commutable) than an outstation base.

Thanks man, someone told me the trips in the outstations usually finish later in the day making it hard to commute and the NY bases apparently have flow times which screws up the flight schedules a lot ??? Anyway thanks for the input.

Random Task
05-17-2018, 03:58 PM
Thanks man, someone told me the trips in the outstations usually finish later in the day making it hard to commute and the NY bases apparently have flow times which screws up the flight schedules a lot ??? Anyway thanks for the input.

Outstation bases tend to start trips very early and end very late. Think about it logically, people connect through hubs. Nobody is flying from CMH to LGA at 10 pm because there's no flights to catch. Instead they fly LGA to CMH at 10 pm because that IS the connecting flight.

Air Stang 7
05-27-2018, 07:32 PM
When can we expect to see the thread titled: "I'm choosing Republic."?

mpet
05-28-2018, 05:02 AM

LOL. Yeah what happened to skywest

surfpilot1414
05-31-2018, 01:49 PM

Coming soon after the ďIím choosing Mesa thread.Ē

VASBYT
06-22-2018, 09:52 PM
Outstation bases tend to start trips very early and end very late. Think about it logically, people connect through hubs. Nobody is flying from CMH to LGA at 10 pm because there's no flights to catch. Instead they fly LGA to CMH at 10 pm because that IS the connecting flight.

So if you were a new hire who lives in Houston, which base would you choose to keep the commute time down until IAH is awarded?

VASBYT
06-29-2018, 08:00 PM
So if you were a new hire who lives in Houston, which base would you choose to keep the commute time down until IAH is awarded?

Any takers? Iím curious if there any pilots that commute from Houston to any of the other bases? Trying to figure out which base I need to bid on, besides IAH for now. I know for sure I would I wonít get that out of class.

DiveAndDrive
06-29-2018, 10:01 PM
Hey man. I have no idea how the commute out of IAH would be. But check out flight aware or passrider. You can get an idea of how many flights there are each day and what time they leave. Remember, if itís company metal, you have standby and jumpseat priority.

VASBYT
06-30-2018, 12:55 PM
Hey man. I have no idea how the commute out of IAH would be. But check out flight aware or passrider. You can get an idea of how many flights there are each day and what time they leave. Remember, if itís company metal, you have standby and jumpseat priority.

Thanks, D&D.

I checked out flights for all bases. Does RAH require us to commute non-stop? Or do they allow us to commute on connecting flights? Forgive my ignorance, still learning this stuff.

DiveAndDrive
06-30-2018, 05:52 PM
Thanks, D&D.

I checked out flights for all bases. Does RAH require us to commute non-stop? Or do they allow us to commute on connecting flights? Forgive my ignorance, still learning this stuff.

I can't speak for RPA. I start there in September. But I was a crew scheduler for a different 121 airline, and I'm currently at a 135 operation as a pilot. In didn't matter in either case. You'd have to look at RPA's specific language. Someone currently on property could give a better answer than this. That being said, at my previous 121 airline the language was that you had to have two options, one of which got you in 2 hours before show and the second which got you in 30 minutes before departure. You also had to exercise "good judgement". So don't try to commute out of MIA during spring break. Nothing was mentioned about having to commute non stop. In fact, at my current 135 operation, I have to two leg it at a minimum. I've had to three leg it before or rent a car and drive. But I made it to work each time, and that's really the only thing that matters.

TL;DR: I'm 99% sure RPA does not require direct flights, but I haven't started there yet. Someone on property could give a better answer.

Geardownflaps30
07-01-2018, 05:26 AM
Thanks, D&D.

No. Doesnít have to be nonstop. Consider yourself lucky if your options are nonstop!

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1