Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Al Czervik
05-17-2018, 04:43 AM
Stole this post from another thread:

Endeavor Air pilot dies on his way to work
Matthew Ryan a captain on the CRJ 900 died yesterday afternoon on his way to work after a tree hit his car due to the storms near the poconos. He leaves a pregnant wife to continue his legacy. His friends in aviation have created a funding account to help his wife. Please donate if can Thank you in advance. https://www.gofundme.com/matthew-ryan039s-legacy

Planedrive
05-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Matt Ryan was an Endeavor Captain based out of New York. On Tuesday afternoon strong thunderstorms rolled through Northern PA causing Matt to be called off reserve for a delayed flight. Less than two miles from his house the winds brought a tree down on top of his car killing him instantly. Money will never bring him back but Matt leaves a pregnant wife and an unborn daughter behind. Please consider donating to this gofund me to help a fellow airline pilot's family in their greatest time of need.

https://www.gofundme.com/matthew-ryan039s-legacy

CBreezy
05-17-2018, 11:23 AM
That link is all sorts of broken.

Planedrive
05-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Reposted the link.

Al Czervik
05-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Left a pregnant wife behind.

Al Czervik
05-17-2018, 11:30 AM
Left his pregnant wife behind

at6d
05-17-2018, 12:11 PM
Just FYI, Iíve noticed that there are at least two different gofundme accounts for this family; as in other cases the parties that build the accounts may not be aware/coordinating with each other.

Planedrive
05-17-2018, 12:20 PM
There are 3 accounts. One to cover their mortgage.. that was made by his father, 1 made by his wife's side and 1 made by his flight instructor friends. All 3 are legit and will go to support his wife and unborn daughter.

Matt made a huge impact on so many people's lives.. I was lucky enough to be one of his students. I just shared this one because I was close with this half of his friends. But please give to either of the funds they will all end up with his wife.

We are currently looking into merging the 2 funds

?That split second?: Emmaus area mom mourns son killed in Pocono storm - The Morning Call (http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-pol-monroe-man-killed-in-storm-has-emmaus-area-roots-20180516-story.html)

Skittles9E
05-17-2018, 01:38 PM
This is the gofundme that has been circling at endeavor. Iím sure the money will all go to the same place.

https://www.gofundme.com/nancy-ryan-amp-baby-ryan-go-fund-me

TransWorld
05-17-2018, 01:40 PM
Making it a hot link.

https://www.gofundme.com/nancy-ryan-amp-baby-ryan-go-fund-me

Qotsaautopilot
05-17-2018, 03:05 PM
He didn’t have life insurance?

BobbyLeeSwagger
05-17-2018, 03:43 PM
He didnít have life insurance?

Ouch. Not cool.

PhantomHawk
05-17-2018, 03:52 PM
Iíve known qotsaautopilot for YEARS (in an Internet capacity), and I donít think his question was meant in any sort of offensive way. Itís a legitimate question. We basically ALL have life insurance through our benefits packages. No reason to think that he didnít.

BobbyLeeSwagger
05-17-2018, 03:56 PM
Iíve known qotsaautopilot for YEARS (in an Internet capacity), and I donít think his question was meant in any sort of offensive way. Itís a legitimate question. We basically ALL have life insurance through our benefits packages. No reason to think that he didnít.

Ok fair enough, maybe lost in translation. Just seemed out of place for a GoFundMe thread to help his wife, but it's all good, dont want to derail what this thread is about. Thanks

Qotsaautopilot
05-18-2018, 06:15 AM
It’s a terrible accident and my condolences to his family. I can’t imagine what they may be going through.

We all have some sort of basic coverage through our companies and I would expect most of us with families carry some sort of additional coverage. Let’s say he had a $1.5 million policy (max through ALPA), what exactly are we contributing to? Most of his family’s needs would be met assuming it’s invested appropriately.

I think go fund me accounts have their place but donors need to be given the facts imo so they know where their money is going. I often see go fund me accounts for medical issues. The thing is that the affordable healthcare act implemented yearly and lifetime out of pocket maximums so it would be very hard for someone to be bankrupted for a health issue. Yet these accounts raise well beyond the individuals out of pocket max. People have the right to donate their hard earned money in anyway they want but that seems like a hussle to me.

I assume if this was his first child he probably hadn’t thought of extra life insurance yet and I’ll likely contribute but I think donors have the right to ask questions of any charity they contribute to.

CBreezy
05-18-2018, 07:12 AM
Itís a terrible accident and my condolences to his family. I canít imagine what they may be going through.

We all have some sort of basic coverage through our companies and I would expect most of us with families carry some sort of additional coverage. Letís say he had a $1.5 million policy (max through ALPA), what exactly are we contributing to? Most of his familyís needs would be met assuming itís invested appropriately.

I think go fund me accounts have their place but donors need to be given the facts imo so they know where their money is going. I often see go fund me accounts for medical issues. The thing is that the affordable healthcare act implemented yearly and lifetime out of pocket maximums so it would be very hard for someone to be bankrupted for a health issue. Yet these accounts raise well beyond the individuals out of pocket max. People have the right to donate their hard earned money in anyway they want but that seems like a hussle to me.

I assume if this was his first child he probably hadnít thought of extra life insurance yet and Iíll likely contribute but I think donors have the right to ask questions of any charity they contribute to.

I highly doubt he has a $1.5mill life insurance policy. My guess, if he was anything like me at a regional, you have minimum health insurance monthly payment. Minimum life insurance payment. Not every 30 year old needs a million dollar life insurance policy.

Qotsaautopilot
05-18-2018, 07:43 AM
I highly doubt he has a $1.5mill life insurance policy. My guess, if he was anything like me at a regional, you have minimum health insurance monthly payment. Minimum life insurance payment. Not every 30 year old needs a million dollar life insurance policy.

You’re probably right. It’s possible he got a policy when he found out his wife was pregnant. That’s usually the point when most men realize they’re income supports more than themselves. Also, I’m not affiliated with ALPA benefits in any way but their $1.5 million 20yr term policy is about $65/mo for a healthy 30yr old. It’s an extremely good value. That rate doesn’t change either. Smaller benefit is even cheaper.

I’m sure he was a good man and need is legitimate. The links on this thread have one fund for $20k and one for $75k. What’s the money for? Burial, mortgage payoff, daughter’s college fund, childcare while wife works?

I’m not trying to be insulting during a sensitive time but these are valid questions to be asked when someone asks for money.

Jc2016
05-18-2018, 08:17 AM
Matthew Ryan funeral arrangements are going to be this Saturday at Gower Funeral Home in Broadheadsville, Pa. 11 to 2 pm and funeral service at 1pm. Please if you can make it join us to give Matt his clearance for Take off. Also please if you are attending please wear your uniform.
Thank you

AYLflyer
05-18-2018, 01:56 PM
Iím not trying to be insulting during a sensitive time but these are valid questions to be asked when someone asks for money.

Yet you're coming off as incredibly insensitive. Nobody is forcing anyone to donate.

There is a fund setup for a mourning family due to a sudden and tragic loss. If they want to use the money to buy diapers or send the family to Disney some day when the child is older it makes no difference to me, all I know is I can't even imagine what they are going through right now and hope none of us ever have to deal with a tragedy like this.

Absolute horrible situation. RIP

Qotsaautopilot
05-18-2018, 04:47 PM
Yet you're coming off as incredibly insensitive. Nobody is forcing anyone to donate.

There is a fund setup for a mourning family due to a sudden and tragic loss. If they want to use the money to buy diapers or send the family to Disney some day when the child is older it makes no difference to me, all I know is I can't even imagine what they are going through right now and hope none of us ever have to deal with a tragedy like this.

Absolute horrible situation. RIP

Sorry then. Thoughts with is family. Very tragic indeed. As a husband and a father I can only imagine.

sailingfun
05-19-2018, 08:00 AM

You do if you have a family and want them properly taken care of in the event something bad happens. You should have as a absolute minimum 10 times your gross Salary. With kids 15 is better.
Each situation is different beyond the 10 times rule. You need to consider number of children, the wifeís earnings potential, savings and benefits the employer may offer. Term insurance for a young guy is cheap. As you age savings should gradually replace insurance until you are self insured.

poor pilot
05-19-2018, 12:07 PM
Sorry then. Thoughts with is family. Very tragic indeed. As a husband and a father I can only imagine.

Everyoneís entitled to their opinion but since your sorry you should delete your post so itís not to discourage others from making donations. Mrs. Ryan is now a soon to be single mom and your on here making assumptions about his life insurance policy maybe he didnít have squat maybe the child will have some issues who knows. A reserve CA at a regional is not exactly well to do so how bout you make a donation and not worry about what insurance policy they have.

tm602
05-19-2018, 10:05 PM
You do if you have a family and want them properly taken care of in the event something bad happens. You should have as a absolute minimum 10 times your gross Salary. With kids 15 is better.
Each situation is different beyond the 10 times rule. You need to consider number of children, the wifeís earnings potential, savings and benefits the employer may offer. Term insurance for a young guy is cheap. As you age savings should gradually replace insurance until you are self insured.

Sometimes neither the company nor the union offer such a high payout policy. And most outside insurers will not cover pilots. And on an honest pilot's salary at any regional, affordability from outside insurers is out of the question.

Bahamasflyer
05-20-2018, 02:54 AM
Sometimes neither the company nor the union offer such a high payout policy. And most outside insurers will not cover pilots. And on an honest pilot's salary at any regional, affordability from outside insurers is out of the question.

I've never seen a LI policy that excludes part 121 flying. Are you sure you don't mean an exclusion for flying GA?

tacoma1946
05-20-2018, 07:40 AM
I've never seen a LI policy that excludes part 121 flying. Are you sure you don't mean an exclusion for flying GA?
That is correct. They have exclusions for GA flying. It doesn't cover commercial or Military.

Qotsaautopilot
05-20-2018, 12:15 PM

The union does. ALPA. Easy to apply and cheap. Rate will not change for the life of the policy

ShyGuy
05-22-2018, 10:22 AM
Damn this is so tragic! :(

azdryheat
05-28-2018, 05:23 PM
Many Life Insurance policies have an exclusion for any flying when you are acting as a crew member, including 121.
I once questioned a rep and she confirmed that I would be covered if I jumped out of the plane and was killed, but not if acting as a crew member of a 121 (or and aircraft) flight.
Make sure of this when you purchase, unless it is not important to you.

TransWorld
05-28-2018, 08:37 PM
Many Life Insurance policies...
I once questioned a rep and she confirmed that I would be covered if I jumped out of the plane and was killed, but not if acting as a crew member of a 121 (or and aircraft) flight.

Except if you were jumping out of an airplane to commit suicide. I donít think any life insurance policy pays off in that case. Of course, it is a different story if your name is D. B. Cooper. . .

hilltopflyer
05-29-2018, 06:10 AM
Life insurance is easy to get working as a 121 crew member. I'm 30 and once I had a kid I made sure my wife and kids would be covered for life if something happened. Yes the questions took a lot longer to answer but as a 30 yo getting 1 mil in life insurance is a whole lot cheaper than waiting till you are a major captain

Qotsaautopilot
05-29-2018, 08:47 AM
Many Life Insurance policies have an exclusion for any flying when you are acting as a crew member, including 121.
Make sure of this when you purchase, unless it is not important to you.

If you get it through ALPA there is no such exclusion and they are the cheapest by a lot

ShyGuy
05-29-2018, 09:40 PM
Suicides aren't covered? I would never do such a thing, just reviewing my policy suicides are covered with an exception of 24 months from policy date. This way someone planning to off themselves doesn't just buy insurance today and suicide tomorrow.

TransWorld
05-30-2018, 03:13 AM
Suicides aren't covered? I would never do such a thing, just reviewing my policy suicides are covered with an exception of 24 months from policy date. This way someone planning to off themselves doesn't just buy insurance today and suicide tomorrow.

I stand corrected. When I took out my private policy at age 22, there was a permanent exclusion. Of course, that was a hundred years ago.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1