Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : What are you really making?

CAPILOTAIN
05-19-2018, 11:24 AM
I probably have a different perspective on pay than most people so I’m wondering if anyone could help me out. I understand that a pilot will get paid “x” per flight hour, but to me I would like to know my average hourly pay from when I leave my house until I get back home. For example, if the pay is $100/flight hr, and it takes me two hours to drive to and from work and an hour of walking through the terminal, and two hours of waiting to load passengers and taxi, then I fly for 3 hours, I would be making $300 per day for 8 hours of work or about $37.50/hr. At my non airline job I usually average about $50-60 per hour which includes driving to the airport, sleeping in a hotel, and really any time that I’m not free do to whatever I would be doing with my free time.
How much does an entry level FO and CA make at compass when using the calculation above?
Thanks.

BobbyLeeSwagger
05-19-2018, 11:37 AM
I probably have a different perspective on pay than most people so Im wondering if anyone could help me out. I understand that a pilot will get paid x per flight hour, but to me I would like to know my average hourly pay from when I leave my house until I get back home. For example, if the pay is $100/flight hr, and it takes me two hours to drive to and from work and an hour of walking through the terminal, and two hours of waiting to load passengers and taxi, then I fly for 3 hours, I would be making $300 per day for 8 hours of work or about $37.50/hr. At my non airline job I usually average about $50-60 per hour which includes driving to the airport, sleeping in a hotel, and really any time that Im not free do to whatever I would be doing with my free time.
How much does an entry level FO and CA make at compass when using the calculation above?
Thanks.

The most common way to figure pilot pay is to take hourly 1000= annual gross. Might be a little more or less, maybe by 5-10%, but in general it works pretty good

Of course add any bonuses on top of that figure

GrassLandings
05-19-2018, 11:50 AM
I probably have a different perspective on pay than most people so Im wondering if anyone could help me out. I understand that a pilot will get paid x per flight hour, but to me I would like to know my average hourly pay from when I leave my house until I get back home. For example, if the pay is $100/flight hr, and it takes me two hours to drive to and from work and an hour of walking through the terminal, and two hours of waiting to load passengers and taxi, then I fly for 3 hours, I would be making $300 per day for 8 hours of work or about $37.50/hr. At my non airline job I usually average about $50-60 per hour which includes driving to the airport, sleeping in a hotel, and really any time that Im not free do to whatever I would be doing with my free time.
Thanks.

So basically you count anytime outside your home as work? Are you a lawyer? Haha. I sure hope you dont lose sleep over not being paid for your drive to work and waiting for passengers... This career is gonna tear you apart. Its just the way it is. We get paid for the time from gate to gate.

In all seriousness, Most guys here spend 13-17 days a month working so lets just say 15. Junior guys will be more, maybe 18 or 19 working days. 15 days is 360 hours away from home. 85 credit hours a month would mean 5.6 credit hours a day. Do the math. For a new CA thats approx $18 an hour away from home in the above example. Plus per deim

CAPILOTAIN
05-19-2018, 12:13 PM
So basically you count anytime outside your home as work? Are you a lawyer? Haha. I sure hope you dont lose sleep over not being paid for your drive to work and waiting for passengers... This career is gonna tear you apart. Its just the way it is. We get paid for the time from gate to gate.

In all seriousness, Most guys here spend 13-17 days a month working so lets just say 15. Junior guys will be more, maybe 18 or 19 working days. 15 days is 360 hours away from home. 85 credit hours a month would mean 5.6 credit hours a day. Do the math. For a new CA that's approx $18 an hour away from home in the above example. Plus per deim

Yes, I do factor all my time in. It really can change a lot of things. For example, if I have to commute to the east coast for a job that pays more per hour compared to a job that pays less but is closer, by thinking of it this way I'm actually making more by making less. I agree this "regional" career could tear me apart which is why I'm looking into all the details. My current part 91 job pays me very well but its a lot of work. I value my time more than my money, which you can probably see. Thank you for providing those numbers. It helps in determining which path will be the most beneficial.

WillFlyForSpam
05-19-2018, 05:17 PM
Dont forget to factor in the snack basket savings.

FlightMonster
05-19-2018, 05:36 PM
How is the per deim calculated?

KC135
05-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Thanks.

I like your thinking. This is exactly why I work at an airline with all 1 day trips, quick turns, no airport sits, and live 10 mins from the airport with no trams/shuttles to take. Time is money and it makes QOL unparalleled.

ToastAir
05-19-2018, 06:13 PM
I agree this "regional" career could tear me apart which is why I'm looking into all the details. My current part 91 job pays me very well but its a lot of work. I value my time more than my money, which you can probably see. Thank you for providing those numbers. It helps in determining which path will be the most beneficial.

I think a better way to answer your question is TAFB - time away from base. I am a relitively low senoirity FO at a regional. In an month where I credit (get paid) say 80-85 hours, my TAFB is around 300 (+/- 20 or so). I do get per diem for all 300. Sometimes I have great layovers or very productive trips and the TAFB isnt so bad. Regionals are also hard work.

CAPILOTAIN
05-19-2018, 06:41 PM
I like your thinking. This is exactly why I work at an airline with all 1 day trips, quick turns, no airport sits, and live 10 mins from the airport with no trams/shuttles to take. Time is money and it makes QOL unparalleled.

Now that sounds enticing. If I ever make the switch, I cant give up QOL and pay. It would be nice to keep both but Im for sure keeping one. Compass seems great from what Ive heard, and an LAX base would be perfect.

rickair7777
05-19-2018, 06:57 PM
How is the per deim calculated?

From report at base to release at the end of the trip.

If the trip does not involve an overnight it's taxable. If there's one or more overnight's it's not taxable.

Paid2fly
05-19-2018, 07:01 PM

Where can one find this "Unicorn" airline?:confused::eek:

Terrain
05-19-2018, 07:04 PM
Where can one find this "Unicorn" airline?:confused::eek:

Im guessing Allegiant.

rickair7777
05-19-2018, 07:06 PM
The most common way to figure pilot pay is to take hourly 1000= annual gross. Might be a little more or less, maybe by 5-10%, but in general it works pretty good

Of course add any bonuses on top of that figure

Regionals, once off reserve are probably going to work you more. With bonuses and 401k, it's probably more like 1200 or 1300 as the multiplier.

BobbyLeeSwagger
05-20-2018, 07:20 AM
Regionals, once off reserve are probably going to work you more. With bonuses and 401k, it's probably more like 1200 or 1300 as the multiplier.

So take 1200 and multiply by the TLES and ratio that against estimated annual block to find the work per/hr unit.

1200 x .7= 840 hrs (TLES)
Est. Blk 1000 for regional FO (worst case)

Work per hr unit is 21:250. Not bad

BobbyLeeSwagger
05-20-2018, 07:53 AM
So with that ratio, take (21 x 12) divide that by your annual comp of around 55k after bonus. You basically get paid 218 bucks an hour FOs

Excargodog
05-20-2018, 08:20 AM
So with that ratio, take (21 x 12) divide that by your annual comp of around 55k after bonus. You basically get paid 218 bucks an hour FOs

Do you have to declare your snack basket depredations to the IRS?

poorflyer
05-20-2018, 08:35 AM
Do you have to declare your snack basket depredations to the IRS?

Only if you ate them while still in your home base state. IRS Code 132.67(c):2

BobbyLeeSwagger
05-20-2018, 08:43 AM
Only if you ate them while still in your home base state. IRS Code 132.67(c):2

And if you forget to eat a snack on a particular leg, you can write it off as a loss.

IRS Code 132.21(a)4 under "Rules Governing the Shake N Bake for DOT employees and other Non Entities"

Excargodog
05-20-2018, 10:17 AM
And if you forget to eat a snack on a particular leg, you can write it off as a loss.

IRS Code 132.21(a)4 under "Rules Governing the Shake N Bake for DOT employees and other Non Entities"

So you get to take a deduction for something you sto...., uh, that is :D:Dappropriated, from the snack basket?

Cool!

:D

Slowhawk
05-22-2018, 11:37 AM
400 hours a month away from home, $4000 a month. $10/hr. $8 after tax.

Had a better QOL and made more money working as a server back home :D and I live in base. About to start commuting coast to coast, Should add to the fun :D

BobbyLeeSwagger
05-22-2018, 11:52 AM
400 hours a month away from home, $4000 a month. $10/hr. $8 after tax.

Had a better QOL and made more money working as a server back home :D and I live in base. About to start commuting coast to coast, Should add to the fun :D

Did you get picked up somewhere? Or are you moving?

Slowhawk
05-24-2018, 03:35 PM
Did you get picked up somewhere? Or are you moving?

Moving, I guess. Happy wife happy life