Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Otis
05-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Does anyone sit A-320 short-call reserve from Greenville, SC? (I searched previous threads but didn't find much.) Any insight is appreciated. Feel free to pm me if preferred. Thanks!

Dolphinflyer
05-21-2018, 01:39 PM
Does anyone sit A-320 short-call reserve from Greenville, SC? (I searched previous threads but didn't find much.) Any insight is appreciated. Feel free to pm me if preferred. Thanks!

No local knowledge, but at 95 miles from the center of town to CLT on Google maps, I don't see a problem if it's a 1-45 drive time. If you want a "no-worries" existence, have a bug-out-bag packed along with a uniform in your car while playing golf or antiquing with the wife (or girlfriend), and you probably won't hear "boo" ever with a short call out.

(as an equal opportunity poster, switch gender assignments on the above post if you're female):D

If someone tries to pin you down on a 2 hour notification to sign in time, they're full of sheet. I haven't heard any discussion of what the trip wire is, but 4+ will get your reserve buddies ****ed at you for covering your trips, while nobody would (or should cry) if it takes 2 hours to get there.

A little gray area, hope this helps.

ALF659
05-21-2018, 04:58 PM

There are plenty of bases where average pilot living is 2+ hours from base and pilots sit SC there(Try driving to LAX from anywhere in less than 2 hours). If you are 1+45 in Greenville you will be fine. In fact, I've heard of Captains living on the north side of Atlanta and doing SC in CLT.

GHOST
05-21-2018, 05:48 PM
Quickest route on google maps shows roughly a 1 hour 38 minute drive. Add in a 30 min buffer and that puts you just over 2 hours. Our contract does not specify a specific time to report to the aircraft while on short call. As the above poster mentioned, just have your uniform and bags packed/ready to go and you should have no problem.

JetMonkey
05-21-2018, 06:37 PM
I did SC 110 miles (75 mph speed limit) away in Arizona for ten years with a hard 2 hr call out. You should have no problem with "promply and safely".

Sliceback
05-21-2018, 07:15 PM
1+38 hr (+/-) drive? Absolutely. Don't sweat it. Personally I'd be ready to go with gas, bag ready, shaved, etc, but other wise I'd relax. Golf or tennis? I'd play on the CLT side and town and I'd bring a towel with me to shower at the facility before heading to work. It's actually a great combo "I'm on call so I'm going golfing." If CS calls figure out how many holes you can continue to play before having to drive to the airport.

SilverandSore
05-22-2018, 06:45 AM
I did it from anderson, sc under the old system, ie 90 min. normal drive. Absolutely you can do it from Greenville.

Otis
05-22-2018, 08:11 AM
Thanks! This certainly opens up the realm of possibilities.
Any insight on living in Greenville?
Otis

jcountry
05-22-2018, 02:49 PM
Otis

I'm not sure I would buy a house there.

Our crap union could agree to a 1:30 report time and you'd be screwed.

(I never cease to be amazed by the new and entertaining ways our garbage union sees fit to give away more and more-despite the profits.)

TexanDriver
05-22-2018, 04:30 PM
Otis

I'm a Delta bubba and wish I could sit SC from GSP, but unfortunately it's just outside of our window. That being said it's a great area to live but the secret is out. And it's getting crowded. If you're single or DINKs look towards downtown. With kiddos look towards Simpsonville, Mauldin or Greer. If I may ask, what brings you to Gville?

Name User
05-22-2018, 07:27 PM
Greenville would be an awesome place to buy rental property. It's an up and coming southern city.

Frip
05-23-2018, 04:48 AM

Yeah... Put life on hold for fear of what APA might do at some time in the future...

I actually know people still paying rent because "this place couod go bankrupt anytime, and I'd be stuck witha house payment"🙄🙄🙄

jcountry
05-23-2018, 10:57 AM

Yeah... Put life on hold for fear of what APA might do at some time in the future...

I actually know people still paying rent because "this place couod go bankrupt anytime, and I'd be stuck witha house payment"🙄🙄🙄

I’d just be careful. Debt is awful.

A mortgage is still rent. At least until you have enough equity to mean something. I know way too many people who have no equity and will be in real trouble when the economy takes a dump.

I know even more who will have a mortgage into retirement.

I’m not interested in being in either of those groups.

But back to the point about our union. They will hose us for nothing. Look what they turned the Christmas scheduling disaster into-freaking concessions!

aa73
05-23-2018, 02:38 PM
But back to the point about our union. They will hose us for nothing. Look what they turned the Christmas scheduling disaster into-freaking concessions!

We got ACD and full LOS out of the Christmas fiasco. Those are concessions?

During JCBA negotiations, our union BOD was perfectly willing to pass a TA **WITHOUT MEMBERSHIP VOTING ** for those items... that’s how important they were to them. Now suddenly they’re concessions... mmmkay. You been listening to the CLT and PHL whackos again? :rolleyes:

jcountry
05-23-2018, 03:01 PM
We got ACD and full LOS out of the Christmas fiasco. Those are concessions?

During JCBA negotiations, our union BOD was perfectly willing to pass a TA **WITHOUT MEMBERSHIP VOTING ** for those items... that’s how important they were to them. Now suddenly they’re concessions... mmmkay. You been listening to the CLT and PHL whackos again? :rolleyes:

The fact that we agreed to acars notifications and agreed to pay for the overtime to cover the Christmas debacle out of our section 6 negotiations..... Those aren’t concessions? Plus the way open time is handled (which was not in the contract) was agreed to. Another concession.

Let’s be real about ACD. That is not a win either. They will just build all the red eyes into 4 days and none of us will ever see more than 10 days off again.

The company screwed up. We fixed it-at great inconvenience to our group. This should have been a 100% Win.

Frip
05-23-2018, 03:27 PM
The fact that we agreed to acars notifications and agreed to pay for the overtime to cover the Christmas debacle out of our section 6 negotiations..... Those aren’t concessions? Plus the way open time is handled (which was not in the contract) was agreed to. Another concession.

ACARS Notification has been a fact for at least 17 years.

I have no idea how we have agreed to "pay for the overtime out our Section 6 negos", but if you wanna' tey and explain I'm sure it would be an interesting thing to hear.

The way open time is handled has also been a fact of life for years, and is due to the JCBA version being impossible for them to program and implement. (apparently... ) and undesirable for us if they did.

We had already agreed to drop the grievance over that unimplemented item because of those issues as part of some other issue last year.

Chances are real good the fuy will be fine on short call in Greenville, and if not there is Long Call, and he'll probably hold a line before too long.

The endless vagaries of "what might happen" in this industry are endless. Life goes on... But not forever.

Frip
05-23-2018, 03:31 PM
Let’s be real about ACD. That is not a win either. They will just build all the red eyes into 4 days and none of us ...

That's really, really paranoid.
Trips will change and ACD will mostly be absorbed by the Optimizer, but that is really paranoid.

Sliceback
05-23-2018, 04:57 PM
“We got ACD and full LOS out of the Christmas fiasco. Those are concessions?”

What was traded, or given up, in the deal? Former negotiator said the company needed relief on open time(?) coverage grievance(?) so there was some leverage there.

So the final deal might have been a concession if excess value was traded away.

mainlineAF
05-23-2018, 05:09 PM

Let’s be real about ACD. That is not a win either. They will just build all the red eyes into 4 days and none of us will ever see more than 10 days off again.

The company screwed up. We fixed it-at great inconvenience to our group. This should have been a 100% Win.

10 days off is impossible if you’re getting an average of 5:15 a calendar day.

I can’t imagine if we were furloughing and/or taking pay cuts. You boys would lose your minds.

jcountry
05-23-2018, 07:06 PM
You guys are awesome!

ACARS notifications for extension are not industry standard. In fact, they have not been legal at any airline I have ever flown for. (In fact, they were illegal at 2 or our 3 legacies-as was about half the rest of this JCBA.)

You boys are doing an excellent job of highlighting the cultural challenges we have. You are very happy to defend a crappy deal by saying "it's always been like that" or "we used to have it real bad-you guys just don't understand how much things sucked in 1956" rather than looking elsewhere (and I mean anywhere else-including the crappiest regionals) and comparing ourselves to our peers. You boys very happily defend the ****show of a union which gave us this crap.

You will be hard pressed to find anywhere-at any level of US 121 with screwier work rules and weaker contract language-Mesa included.

Why in the world do so many people excuse this crap? There is absolutely no excuse for continually taking backward steps in this economy. That's the big picture. Concessions were negotiated in the midst of record profits-as a consequence of bailing the company out of a real tight spot..... Absolutely unbelievable!

UPTme
05-23-2018, 07:21 PM
Jcountry: 5.25 (5:15) x 17 = 89.25.

30 - 17= 13.
Thus, PBS can not build you a line with fewer than 13 days off.

....Back to 'notbr' and 'The Donald' posts on CnR.

PRS Guitars
05-23-2018, 07:56 PM

I agree that we need improvements, but when you make a statement like that about ACD, you lose all credibility. You listened to the PHL reps too much. They were so against the deal that they started making ACD sound like a bad deal. It is an improvement, despite the concessions.

Speaking of concessions what gives are we giving in section 6 for ACD? I wasn’t aware of that, I’ll have to check the LOA.

aa73
05-24-2018, 02:51 AM
jcountry - nobody here is disputing the fact that our contract is substandard, nor defending the union. I agree wholeheartedly that we have much work to do. But to sit here and say that our contract is worse than Mesa’s (totally laughable) as well as claiming that ACD was actually a bad deal (completely false) completely undermines your credibility.

Again, I fully agree that we have work to do and I actually think that securing ACD and full LOS was the first really good gain APA has secured outside of Sec 6... if anything, it represents exactly the opposite of decades of APA’s “our way is the best way” and more closely aligns us to what delta and United have in their contracts. But yes we have ways to go, but at least these items are now off the table. That is progress. What we gave up in exchange was not concessions but rather a defined roadmap to getting what we actually already agreed to in the JCBA... previously, we had none. That is hardly a concession.

Frip
05-24-2018, 05:41 AM
You said we agreed to ACARS Notificcatin and the scheduling rules as part of the Christmas open time fiasco.

I said we didn't, they was already agreed to, which they were.

I didn't say either was desirable, or even "ok". OTOH, just because it wasn't allowed contractually at the other p,ace doesn't mean itus the end of the world. I too was "acquired" and could point to dozens of really desirable contractual items APA has no clue about. NIH reigns supreme.

At least the concept of trip ownership seems to be gaining some traction.

You said that ACD was some sort of concession, which it isn't, in any way.

You said that we somehow traded something in Section 6, but haven't explained what or how.

p.s. The Christmas Debacle wasn't really worth as much leveragewise as some folks like to make it out to be. If we didn't "do" anything, they'd have just dealt with it other ways, and blamed us in the press, and life would go on.

Rawhide16
05-24-2018, 08:40 AM
Why is it that every single topic consistently devolves into a JCBA/APA/management sucks ***** session. Take your conversation elsewhere and try to stay on target.

GucciBoy
05-26-2018, 06:33 PM
I'm a Delta bubba and wish I could sit SC from GSP, but unfortunately it's just outside of our window. That being said it's a great area to live but the secret is out. And it's getting crowded. If you're single or DINKs look towards downtown. With kiddos look towards Simpsonville, Mauldin or Greer. If I may ask, what brings you to Gville?

Not sure this is germane to the discussion, but there exists no “window” for short call at Delta. The contract specifies only that you are “promptly available.” Google says ~2:30 to drive it, I think that would pass most people’s sniff test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dolphinflyer
05-27-2018, 12:36 PM
Why is it that every single topic consistently devolves into a JCBA/APA/management sucks ***** session. Take your conversation elsewhere and try to stay on target.

Yup, always the Drama Queen.

Rawhide16
05-27-2018, 01:12 PM
Yup, always the Drama Queen.

Who are you referring to?

Dolphinflyer
05-28-2018, 04:49 AM
Who are you referring to?

Definitley not you.

texinc
06-04-2018, 06:26 PM

Hey Otis, just watch for road construction on the interstate at the 85/385 exchange in Greenville and near Spartanburg right now . . . Maybe check out some alternate routes and if you haven't settled into a house/apartment yet, pick one on the east side of Greenville or Greer area. Same thing for getting home if you are on a tight schedule, I85 is pretty backed up from CLT to Gastonia most weekday afternoons.

Jmurr84
06-16-2018, 07:29 AM
Big picture, what is the differences between short call and long call?

AFTrainerGuy
06-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Big picture, what is the differences between short call and long call?

Long Call is a minimum 12 hour advance call to show... most trips assigned day prior in DOTC but not always .... 73 hrs guarentee

Short call is promptly available (not defined — 2-3 hrs to show at gate was my average... doable in GVL but you’d probably need to be mostly ready to go)...... 76 hrs guarentee

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1