Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : QX spouse travel benefits

fenix1
05-21-2018, 08:25 PM
I'm hoping to learn all I can about travel benefits available to the spouse (primary traveler) of QX pilots.
1). On QX flights, what is the rough cost & standby priority?
2). What about this same info (cost & standby priority) for AS flights?
3). Can a QX spouse travel on OO flights operated for AAG and, if so, what's rough cost & standby priority there?
4). Any 'quirks'/'gotchas'/other things learned the hard way relating to travel privileges for QX spouses (primary travelers)?

Thanks in advance for any info from those who have been there & done that!

snackysmores
05-21-2018, 09:00 PM
I'm hoping to learn all I can about travel benefits available to the spouse (primary traveler) of QX pilots.
1). On QX flights, what is the rough cost & standby priority?
2). What about this same info (cost & standby priority) for AS flights?
3). Can a QX spouse travel on OO flights operated for AAG and, if so, what's rough cost & standby priority there?
4). Any 'quirks'/'gotchas'/other things learned the hard way relating to travel privileges for QX spouses (primary travelers)?

Thanks in advance for any info from those who have been there & done that!

1. Free, first priority on Qx metal
2. Free, dead last behind all AS/VX employees & their friends
3. Yes, free, dead last behind AS/VX employees, their friends & Skywest employees
4. If you're going to a popular vacation destination during summer you should probably just buy a ticket.

fenix1
05-21-2018, 09:38 PM
Outstanding and many thanks for the help!

1. Free, first priority on Qx metal
2. Free, dead last behind all AS/VX employees & their friends
3. Yes, free, dead last behind AS/VX employees, their friends & Skywest employees
4. If you're going to a popular vacation destination during summer you should probably just buy a ticket.

afcraig2010
05-22-2018, 07:37 AM
Since were on the topic here, how do the benefits work for everyone else? Who else automatically gets benefits (other than spouse?) Would it extend to my parents? Or are they on the buddy passes? Do people on the buddy passes get the same benefits?

Also, when they get standby non rev tickets, are they still paying for the taxes and fees, or is that covered? Is there anything that comes out of my paycheck?

Im interviewing at the end of the month and this is my first 121 gig so Im just trying to learn.

cactusflyer
05-22-2018, 11:30 AM
I believe the travel benefits extend to your spouse (or domestic partner, or designated guest), your parents, and your children. You can give guest passes to anyone, but they're on a lower priority than your normal benefits would be.

IIRC, using the travel benefits doesn't cost you anything in the US, but guest passes and positive space passes do result in a payroll deduction for tax purposes, which I think works out to somewhere around 5-10% of the value of the ticket.

snackysmores
05-22-2018, 02:11 PM
Since were on the topic here, how do the benefits work for everyone else? Who else automatically gets benefits (other than spouse?) Would it extend to my parents? Or are they on the buddy passes? Do people on the buddy passes get the same benefits?

Also, when they get standby non rev tickets, are they still paying for the taxes and fees, or is that covered? Is there anything that comes out of my paycheck?

Im interviewing at the end of the month and this is my first 121 gig so Im just trying to learn.

Your parents, kids, and Primary Traveler (doesn't even have to be a spouse or partner, literally anyone you want) all get unlimited free travel.

Vanilla
05-22-2018, 04:24 PM
Also, you need to wait 30 days from date of hire for Alaska non-rev travel bennies to kick in. Domestic non-rev is 100% free. International travel has some taxes which is taken out of your paycheck. All other airlines- MyIDtravel and ID90- is 6 months from DOH.

For yourself, you get a company badge and CASS on day 1 of training. KCM badge 2nd week or so.

Non-rev travel is made easy as well. You log into an internal Alaska employee website. Search your flights displaying real time loads. List. Check in 24 hours prior. All set.

TeamSasquatch
05-22-2018, 07:43 PM
Along this same line, what if you want to pay for a positive space ticket? What would it cost a pilot, or a pilot and their family to fly on AS flights? Not looking for $XX.XX dollars. Just an idea on how that system works. I would rather not bank a vacation on space avalible. How about flying positive space on an airline outside of the the one you work for? Thanks!

Dashdrvr
05-22-2018, 08:40 PM
Along this same line, what if you want to pay for a positive space ticket? What would it cost a pilot, or a pilot and their family to fly on AS flights? Not looking for $XX.XX dollars. Just an idea on how that system works. I would rather not bank a vacation on space avalible. How about flying positive space on an airline outside of the the one you work for? Thanks!

The company provides 20% discount on full fare tickets any fare level.

TeamSasquatch
05-23-2018, 12:04 AM
Thanks for quick reply!

DashAviator
05-23-2018, 07:13 AM
Also, the company frequently hands out positive space tickets as a reward or incentive. I think I have 12 or 16. They do expire (eventually) and you still have to pay taxes and fees for the tickets. I've never tried to use mine, but I've heard that fees can run $70 - $100 per person per flight segment.

The biggest problem with using the tickets is space availability. If you go to our company travel link, it will show the number of authorized positive space seats for any given flight. Some are "0" (zero). Expect to travel at some odd time of the day, or the during the middle of the week.

Stinger6
05-23-2018, 10:43 AM
We found that the 20% discount on positive space tickets was only about twice as much as a full fare ticket on Southwest.

We found that the free guest passes for standby were not free, but were about 20% less than a confirmed seat, discounted ("sale") ticket on...ahem...JetBlue.

We also found that my non-rev family members travelling without me stand-by/space-a were treated like gold, seriously, by CSAs and FAs everywhere they went...raving about how nice everyone was to them.

And the ID90 benefits (on other-than-Air Group) kick in at 6 months...so I'll let you know how the SFO-TLV works out on UA.

TeamSasquatch
05-23-2018, 01:46 PM
Great info, sounds like googleflights is still my friend.

Stinger6
05-23-2018, 06:25 PM
BTW, is there a way for my designated family members to list themselves? I mean, as opposed to me using the Hopper or Fly. While it's been working great, it seems kind of cumbersome for my family members to contact me in order to put them on the list and then for me to print and email them the boarding passes and keep an eye on the load. There must be a smoother way, though this way has been reasonably smooth.