Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

RabidW0mbat
05-22-2018, 06:49 AM
As mentioned in another thread, I have a CJO with AWAC, but having 2nd thoughts. I'm in Chicago, so being able to hold ORD within a reasonable time is big. I have 3 kids, so insurance is a big deal as well..hoping I can get some details:

Cost for insurance for a family of 5 (Who is the providor ie: AETNA/BCBS/etc)

Ability to hold ORD out of training?

Reasonable take home pay year 1?

How does the final 100 hour thing work? I have 1350tt right now, all other mins met. If you do the 100 hour time building incentive, do you forgo all other bonuses?

I see RAH has the same Trip/Duty rigs as AWAC, so that's a plus.

I have heard bad things about PTO/Sick time, how does the company handle that as well as fatigue calls / etc?

Thanks in advance.

DiveAndDrive
05-22-2018, 07:23 AM
Hey man. I haven't started at RPA yet, so I can't answer all of your questions. But I can share some of the (limited) knowledge I have.

Like you, I am looking at an ORD base. From what I've heard, you'll get ORD out of training. You MAY NOT get it on your initial bid, but you have 2-3 bid periods before you're on the line. My recruiter told me (and from what I've read on here) you should be able to get it out of training.

The trip and duty rigs are HUGE. Even though ZW/YX aren't offering 9E pay rates, these rigs can often offset the pay difference. This is especially true with YX's pay rates.

As far as the time building initiative goes, that money comes out of your signing bonus. That being said, you DO get the remainder of the balance of the signing bonus. The signing bonus is 17.5k. Say you need 10k for time building, you'll get the remaining 7.5k (minus taxes).

RabidW0mbat
05-22-2018, 07:38 AM
Hey man. I haven't started at RPA yet, so I can't answer all of your questions. But I can share some of the (limited) knowledge I have.

Like you, I am looking at an ORD base. From what I've heard, you'll get ORD out of training. You MAY NOT get it on your initial bid, but you have 2-3 bid periods before you're on the line. My recruiter told me (and from what I've read on here) you should be able to get it out of training.

The trip and duty rigs are HUGE. Even though ZW/YX aren't offering 9E pay rates, these rigs can often offset the pay difference. This is especially true with YX's pay rates.

As far as the time building initiative goes, that money comes out of your signing bonus. That being said, you DO get the remainder of the balance of the signing bonus. The signing bonus is 17.5k. Say you need 10k for time building, you'll get the remaining 7.5k (minus taxes).

Gotcha, thanks. Well I hadn't planned on starting class at AWAC until August, so I'll just keep kicking skydivers out for the next 2 months...I'd rather get the entire bonus. Plus dropping skydivers actually pays me...lol

Will RAH interview me before I meet ATP mins?

DiveAndDrive
05-22-2018, 07:48 AM
Yes. I believe they will interview you within 6 months of reaching your minimums. When I interviewed, I had like 1550 TT, but only 7 hours ME.

Fly507
05-22-2018, 08:07 AM
As mentioned in another thread, I have a CJO with AWAC, but having 2nd thoughts. I'm in Chicago, so being able to hold ORD within a reasonable time is big. I have 3 kids, so insurance is a big deal as well..hoping I can get some details:

Cost for insurance for a family of 5 (Who is the providor ie: AETNA/BCBS/etc)

Ability to hold ORD out of training?

Reasonable take home pay year 1?

How does the final 100 hour thing work? I have 1350tt right now, all other mins met. If you do the 100 hour time building incentive, do you forgo all other bonuses?

I see RAH has the same Trip/Duty rigs as AWAC, so that's a plus.

I have heard bad things about PTO/Sick time, how does the company handle that as well as fatigue calls / etc?

Thanks in advance.

Hey man,

I can't answer your question about the insurance cost as I don't have kids and my wife has her own.

As far as ORD, I could take about 6 months after OE which is not bad. You're gonna sit reserve for a while though, that is a senior base and it is currently shrinking.

With the bonus and everything, it is safe to say that year 1 you'll walk home with $50k. If you need the 100 hours, they'll take that out of your bonus and make you fly those hours asap. I know a couple people who did that and they were flying around 7 hours a day to knock that time.

PTO and sick call, I don't have anything else to compare it with. My experience hasn't been good with them when it comes to sick calls, commuter clause use and fatigue. I called Fatigued once thinking that it was going to be a non event as I was sure the company had screwed up and they still found the way to put it on me.

If you live in ORD, I would honestly suggest that you look into Envoy. I can't really complain about RAH, it's my first regional and so far it's been ok. But there is really no much career progression here, instructor positions are quite senior, upgrade time is long (obviously not as it used to be) but you are still looking at 2.8-3 years before your number comes up.

Pay wise, yes Republic is ok for a regional, the plane is also nice, but thinking long term I would recommend you to go to Envoy. You're going to upgrade sooner, you'd still be based at home, they have the 170s out of there if you really want to fly that plane, you're free to apply to any of the other Majors with the "insurance policy" that in about 9 years you'll be at AA if you don't get a call before that.

Those are my 2 cents, hope it helps.

aviatormjc
05-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Family of 5 here as well. BCBS, $154/paycheck. Company puts $1,700 into your HSA annually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWeatherman
05-22-2018, 03:09 PM
Hey man,

I can't answer your question about the insurance cost as I don't have kids and my wife has her own.

As far as ORD, I could take about 6 months after OE which is not bad. You're gonna sit reserve for a while though, that is a senior base and it is currently shrinking.

With the bonus and everything, it is safe to say that year 1 you'll walk home with $50k. If you need the 100 hours, they'll take that out of your bonus and make you fly those hours asap. I know a couple people who did that and they were flying around 7 hours a day to knock that time.

PTO and sick call, I don't have anything else to compare it with. My experience hasn't been good with them when it comes to sick calls, commuter clause use and fatigue. I called Fatigued once thinking that it was going to be a non event as I was sure the company had screwed up and they still found the way to put it on me.

If you live in ORD, I would honestly suggest that you look into Envoy. I can't really complain about RAH, it's my first regional and so far it's been ok. But there is really no much career progression here, instructor positions are quite senior, upgrade time is long (obviously not as it used to be) but you are still looking at 2.8-3 years before your number comes up.

Pay wise, yes Republic is ok for a regional, the plane is also nice, but thinking long term I would recommend you to go to Envoy. You're going to upgrade sooner, you'd still be based at home, they have the 170s out of there if you really want to fly that plane, you're free to apply to any of the other Majors with the "insurance policy" that in about 9 years you'll be at AA if you don't get a call before that.

Those are my 2 cents, hope it helps.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with some of your points.

- Everybody in the last year or so has gotten ORD if not out of training, by the time they finished IOE.

- Reserve time is about 3 - 4 months, but lately every FO in ORD has held a line

- Fatigue program is great and one of the best out of all the Regionals. I had a fatigue call on a go home day a couple months ago. I got a hotel room and a deadhead home the next day. No questions asked and I even got paid an extra day since the DH home the next morning was on a day off!

- Calling in sick does not require a doctors note. However, if you want to keep your perfect attendance bonus going it will not count as an occurrence if you turn in a doctors note, keeping your bonus alive.

- Upgrade time is going down to just over 2 years and may drop more. Any way, Envoy is having a huge problems with forced upgrades right now ****ing off a lot of FOs who either felt they were not ready to upgrade, or did not want to at that time due to QOL.

The one thing the OP should consider is that fact that unless something changes, CA at ORD is very senior. As a matter of fact, the most senior at RPA. But you will also commute as a CA at Envoy too as everybody there goes to LGA for a year or two. AW may be your best bet to hold ORD right away as a CA.

Random Task
05-22-2018, 05:50 PM
If you're serious about an August timeline with RAH I would get your app in ASAP and get interviewed. Our classes are starting to fill up.

intherightseat
05-22-2018, 11:02 PM
Iíve deleted and moved to an appropriate thread. Disregard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RabidW0mbat
05-23-2018, 05:30 AM
If you're serious about an August timeline with RAH I would get your app in ASAP and get interviewed. Our classes are starting to fill up.
I applied yesterday afternoon, after reading a few comments on other threads, I was kind of surprised I didn't get a call yet. Hopefully next business day is the winner. I'm building about 50 hours a month right now dropping skydivers in a caravan, so hopefully my times are on point with what they're looking for.

1360TT
260ME
75 turbine PIC
100 hours citation xls sic. (PIC Typed)

fortyeight
05-23-2018, 06:18 AM
The one thing the OP should consider is that fact that unless something changes, CA at ORD is very senior. As a matter of fact, the most senior at RPA. But you will also commute as a CA at Envoy too as everybody there goes to LGA for a year or two. AW may be your best bet to hold ORD right away as a CA.

ORD is the most senior CA base in the company. I think the most junior CA was 12 years last I saw. Youíll never see ORD after upgrade unless youíre RAH for life or the company stops treating Chicago like an outstation and actually staffs it properly. But donít hold your breath. Theyíre too in love with the outstation basing model. Enjoy IND or CMH.

Otterbox
05-23-2018, 06:41 AM
I applied yesterday afternoon, after reading a few comments on other threads, I was kind of surprised I didn't get a call yet. Hopefully next business day is the winner. I'm building about 50 hours a month right now dropping skydivers in a caravan, so hopefully my times are on point with what they're looking for.

1360TT
260ME
75 turbine PIC
100 hours citation xls sic. (PIC Typed)

Do you have someone referring you?

Are you instrument current?

Your hours are low. If not instrument current and not a referred applicant you’re probably lower priority to get a call. Republic has the second best pay of the regionals right now, behind Endeavor, they likely have a lot of applicants to sift through.

Not saying they won’t call. Sometimes things take a while. If you haven’t heard from them in two eweeks place a call to their pilot recruitment department and confirm they recieved your application and that it’s complete. Last year I applied to a company and hadn’t heard back for weeks while everyone else had responded... I emailed and called pilot recruitment- turns out that due to the company filter settings, airline apps withheld 60 applications from the company for 4 months and the company didn’t know until enough folks called to confirm they recieved their apps that they didn’t have that they went looking for them.

RabidW0mbat
05-23-2018, 07:28 AM
Do you have someone referring you?

Are you instrument current?

Your hours are low. If not instrument current and not a referred applicant youíre probably lower priority to get a call. Republic has the second best pay of the regionals right now, behind Endeavor, they likely have a lot of applicants to sift through.

Not saying they wonít call. Sometimes things take a while. If you havenít heard from them in two eweeks place a call to their pilot recruitment department and confirm they recieved your application and that itís complete. Last year I applied to a company and hadnít heard back for weeks while everyone else had responded... I emailed and called pilot recruitment- turns out that due to the company filter settings, airline apps withheld 60 applications from the company for 4 months and the company didnít know until enough folks called to confirm they recieved their apps that they didnít have that they went looking for them.

Got a call today. Interviewing in 2 weeks.

Otterbox
05-23-2018, 08:51 AM
Got a call today. Interviewing in 2 weeks.

Awesome.

Not specifically directed at you but sometimes the freak out level on threads where folks donít get calls from regionals immediately is a bit high. Good rule of thumb is give them two weeks to review your app and call. Then have the person who referred you check on your app or call them. Many recruiters tend to have a bunch of different things going on (air shows, job fairs, college visits, company training) and review applications in the middle of those things so canít always review every application immediately. Everyone knows folks have many options in this environment so theyíre not intentionally blowing applicants off, just sometimes thereís a lot of stuff going on.

RabidW0mbat
05-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Awesome.

Not specifically directed at you but sometimes the freak out level on threads where folks donít get calls from regionals immediately is a bit high. Good rule of thumb is give them two weeks to review your app and call. Then have the person who referred you check on your app or call them. Many recruiters tend to have a bunch of different things going on (air shows, job fairs, college visits, company training) and review applications in the middle of those things so canít always review every application immediately. Everyone knows folks have many options in this environment so theyíre not intentionally blowing applicants off, just sometimes thereís a lot of stuff going on.
Oh I hear you. It's just when people are saying they're getting calls within an hour of applying, it makes you think is all.

RabidW0mbat
06-07-2018, 11:18 AM
Interviewed yesterday with 11 others, got a call today (just over 24 hours later) extending the formal offer and asking about class dates. Still up in the air as far as decisions with regards to RAH or AWAC. For what it's worth, recruiter swore up and down that ORD is doable out of training, and is NOT shrinking..it was just overstaffed after they merged all 3 certificates. Obviously taking that with a big grain of salt...but another data point.

looseombi
06-07-2018, 02:54 PM
There were 11 in your interview group? There were only 3 in mine and only 2 of us showed up. This was about a month ago now.

TJBrass
06-08-2018, 07:11 AM
"ORD is NOT shrinking..it was just overstaffed"

....classic!

Goose Lives
06-08-2018, 07:24 AM

....classic!

For the amount of trip flying we do out of there, it was overstaffed... company induced decision obviously as they'd prefer IND/CMH

ORD170
06-10-2018, 08:21 AM

....classic!

Has there been any captain vacancies into ORD in the past two years? I donít think so, and I know several senior guys who went to other bases to hold a line. ORD will stay, but it will be small and very very senior on the captain side.

RabidW0mbat
06-10-2018, 11:14 AM
Let me ask this then, since they were all hot during the interview to tout yellow/red flag flying. Does this even happen on a regular basis?

Geardownflaps30
06-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Let me ask this then, since they were all hot during the interview to tout yellow/red flag flying. Does this even happen on a regular basis?

Yes it does.

flyonboyz
06-10-2018, 03:37 PM
10 interviewed this past Wednesday and 14 interviewed on Friday. I believe nobody from the Friday interview received an offer.

Av8r75
06-10-2018, 04:37 PM
I didn't receive an offer until a week after my interview, although some folks heard same day as interview or within a few days.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TheWeatherman
06-10-2018, 06:00 PM
10 interviewed this past Wednesday and 14 interviewed on Friday. I believe nobody from the Friday interview received an offer.
Republic stopped offering same day of the interview sometime last year. I guess too many issues on the trip back to the airport with some people already offered the job while others were politely told "you'll hear from us in a couple days."

It was exactly a week before I heard back and was given a CJO.

RabidW0mbat
06-11-2018, 06:59 AM
Republic stopped offering same day of the interview sometime last year. I guess too many issues on the trip back to the airport with some people already offered the job while others were politely told "you'll hear from us in a couple days."

It was exactly a week before I heard back and was given a CJO.

I was called almost 24 hours after the interview with the offer as another data point.

Jungle Jim
06-11-2018, 10:07 AM
5 interviewed on a Wednesday, 2 were given on the spot offers, the other 3 of us were called Friday morning. This was in April.

TheWeatherman
06-11-2018, 10:42 AM
5 interviewed on a Wednesday, 2 were given on the spot offers, the other 3 of us were called Friday morning. This was in April.
hmm, they must have rethought their policy. The negative of their policy was that while people waited for their job offers, they could sign on somewhere else. In the week I waited for my job offer from Republic I interviewed and accepted a CJO from Skywest. Thank god I was smart enough not to end up going to Skywest but I can see how some people might just go with whoever gives them a job offer first and tell all the others after no thanks.

Jungle Jim
06-11-2018, 01:07 PM
hmm, they must have rethought their policy. The negative of their policy was that while people waited for their job offers, they could sign on somewhere else. In the week I waited for my job offer from Republic I interviewed and accepted a CJO from Skywest. Thank god I was smart enough not to end up going to Skywest but I can see how some people might just go with whoever gives them a job offer first and tell all the others after no thanks.

After talking with both guys at the airport, seems like the commonality between them was they both told recruiters they were available immediately for start ASAP. They were walked straight from the interview to fill out PRIA. One already had ATP, the other was a military pilot.

flyonboyz
06-14-2018, 04:44 PM
After talking with both guys at the airport, seems like the commonality between them was they both told recruiters they were available immediately for start ASAP. They were walked straight from the interview to fill out PRIA. One already had ATP, the other was a military pilot.

My buddy told me as of today he hasn't heard anything after interviewing last week but others have gotten offers. Not sure why they are leaving him hanging?