Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Regular day

Jetmcquack1985
05-23-2018, 06:12 AM
Hello again, does anyone know or can explain me a regular day or monthly schedule at AW and how is an average pay with that kind of schedule? I donít have problems being toss around since itís what I do already flying a turbo prop so the hard work itís not a problem, I just want to know if itís worth it $$:rolleyes:

AV810
05-23-2018, 08:59 AM
Scroll down a few topics and read the thread "A Typical Day Is?" It probably answers your questions.

Jetmcquack1985
05-23-2018, 09:13 AM
Scroll down a few topics and read the thread "A Typical Day Is?" It probably answers your questions.

Thereís just a typica 4 day trip but nothing about the pay at the end of th month for, letís say, 85 credit hours.

StrykerB21
05-23-2018, 01:11 PM
Thereís just a typica 4 day trip but nothing about the pay at the end of th month for, letís say, 85 credit hours.

Take the 85 credit hours, multiply by the hourly rate and theres your answer...

Jetmcquack1985
05-23-2018, 01:48 PM
Take the 85 credit hours, multiply by the hourly rate and theres your answer...

Yeah, I get that, I meant with perdiem and so on what I could expect

Greensideup
05-27-2018, 08:01 AM
Letís talk about a regular go home day.... youíll be expected to work into your day off , Miss your commute home , and spend another unplanned day on the road .... OR ELSE.

Jetmcquack1985
05-30-2018, 07:10 AM
Let’s talk about a regular go home day.... you’ll be expected to work into your day off , Miss your commute home , and spend another unplanned day on the road .... OR ELSE.

Where are you commuting from?

idlethrust
05-30-2018, 08:04 AM
Where are you commuting from?

Doesnít matter where he is commuting from.
ď Work this trip, now shut up and fly *********.We donít give a hotdam about your personal life or other obligations.Ē
Your scheduling Dept

FlyPKP
05-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Reroutes, reroutes, broken planes, lots of junior mans, no days home, threats from management because nothing is more important than moving planes.

Excargodog
05-30-2018, 02:29 PM
Reroutes, reroutes, broken planes, lots of junior mans, no days home, threats from management because nothing is more important than moving planes.

The problem with that as a management style is that if it fails it fails catastrophically. As things get bad it drives away the very people you need to keep it viable. Lousy schedules beget lousier schedules as new hires go elsewhere and guys with their 1000 TPIC say "screw this" and pull the handles. Yeah, you can load shed, it's only mainline's money, but once QOL becomes as bad as that of an Envoy DEC in LGA, everybody with 950 hours of TSIC is gonna book on you. As long as the QOL is gonna stink anyway, you might as well take the money.

So you are going to be squeezing less and less experienced people to do more and more. How could THAT possibly go bad?

Jetmcquack1985
05-30-2018, 04:59 PM
The problem with that as a management style is that if it fails it fails catastrophically. As things get bad it drives away the very people you need to keep it viable. Lousy schedules beget lousier schedules as new hires go elsewhere and guys with their 1000 TPIC say "screw this" and pull the handles. Yeah, you can load shed, it's only mainline's money, but once QOL becomes as bad as that of an Envoy DEC in LGA, everybody with 950 hours of TSIC is gonna book on you. As long as the QOL is gonna stink anyway, you might as well take the money.

So you are going to be squeezing less and less experienced people to do more and more. How could THAT possibly go bad?

Wow, ok that's not encouraging, but I don't think tat elsewhere at least for the fisrt year it would be that different. I have friends in Republic and the first years wasn't easy either. About building PIC time thats another story regardless the base.

RANGER211
05-30-2018, 05:34 PM
At the current pace, if you come here here you will not need to worry about PIC time. We will be out of business because we canít fly what we are supposed to, canít hire more on the front side than are leaving on the back side, how are those 18 month upgrades going?? Theyíve been saying that for 18 months now and are still sitting at 30+ months and those guys are now delayed. Iíd only come here if they pull the head cheeses and park them on the curb where they belong. Itís way past time for new leadership. This place is drowning and and they arenít even offering a flotation device. Youíve been warned

Excargodog
05-30-2018, 09:40 PM
Wow, ok that's not encouraging, but I don't think tat elsewhere at least for the fisrt year it would be that different.

In that case, you need to devote more time and effort into educating yourself about the situation. Asking questions is good. Auto-negating when you don't get the response you hoped for is less helpful.

I have friends in Republic and the first years wasn't easy either.

You are confusing "isn't easy" which is frequently the case with newbies getting a type rating and generally commuting to reserve for a considerable period before they can become senior enough to be able to hold a line in a base they like - a status pretty common to most newbies - with having ALL of those problems AND institutional problems of inadequate staffing, old aircraft becoming difficult to maintain, and poor management. The former may be a near universal condition for newbies in ANY regional. The latter is not.

About building PIC time thats another story regardless the base.

No, it is not. Building 121 PIC time is not a function of operating the controls. It is a function of BEING A CAPTAIN. Unless the guy in the left seat should die of a heart attack on a trip, you will log NO PIC, and even if they did, you will log only that interval from the time they died until you either successfully land the aircraft or survive the crash.

Failing your captain dying in the cockpit, your PIC time will be related to how quickly you can upgrade, which has a number of variables. Some of these do indeed vary by base, some by the regional you choose, while others are out of your hands altogether.

Now you don't HAVE to listen to any of the people responding to you, you are a big boy now, but as the previous poster said, you've been warned.

Blessed319
05-31-2018, 09:35 AM
It's clear there are staffing issues, and the quality of life issues are legit. I would like to share some light on some of the good parts of air Wisconsin. I'm previous airline, back for another go. In 8 previous 121 hour flying years I called in sick twice total. Since coming to Air Wisconsin I have had my nanny quit without notice, I got severely sick from an illness I contacted doing volunteer work, pulled me off a trip when my sitter which happened to be my mom was rushed to the ER, and most recently very accommodating after I was rear ended by some moron before starting a trip. I am by definition living the through the year from hell, but this company has been more than gracious and professional towards me. I will say that I required no additional training, and followed their footprints set for me. There are a lot of issues that probably need correcting here, and the junior manning and other quality of life issues need to be addressed for the health of the pilot group, but there are some darn good people here, especially the folks in training and on the line.

lukeh99
05-31-2018, 10:20 AM
The junior mans are not fun, but if you play the system you will make a lot of money here. I know a few FOs who credit 140-160 hours every month. Living in base makes this much more manageable so I would highly consider just making the move if your life allows it. There are plenty of nice small inexpensive towns in WI and IL if you don't want to do the big city thing.

I had 7 days off in a row right now and I picked up a 2 day with 2 legs and 4 hours of flying today that pays 12 hours solely because I can get those days back next month and because it gets me 2 junior mans closer to my 10 for the year.

You just have to know how to turn lemons into lemonade :D

RabidW0mbat
05-31-2018, 10:24 AM
The junior mans are not fun, but if you play the system you will make a lot of money here. I know a few FOs who credit 140-160 hours every month. Living in base makes this much more manageable so I would highly consider just making the move if your life allows it. There are plenty of nice small inexpensive towns in WI and IL if you don't want to do the big city thing.

I had 7 days off in a row right now and I picked up a 2 day with 2 legs and 4 hours of flying today that pays 12 hours solely because I can get those days back next month and because it gets me 2 junior mans closer to my 10 for the year.

Mind if I shoot you a PM?

donkeyjockey
05-31-2018, 10:26 AM
It's clear there are staffing issues, and the quality of life issues are legit. I would like to share some light on some of the good parts of air Wisconsin. I'm previous airline, back for another go. In 8 previous 121 hour flying years I called in sick twice total. Since coming to Air Wisconsin I have had my nanny quit without notice, I got severely sick from an illness I contacted doing volunteer work, pulled me off a trip when my sitter which happened to be my mom was rushed to the ER, and most recently very accommodating after I was rear ended by some moron before starting a trip. I am by definition living the through the year from hell, but this company has been more than gracious and professional towards me. I will say that I required no additional training, and followed their footprints set for me. There are a lot of issues that probably need correcting here, and the junior manning and other quality of life issues need to be addressed for the health of the pilot group, but there are some darn good people here, especially the folks in training and on the line.

Agreed, there are good people here, just as everywhere else. There are also bad people here, just as everywhere else. The company is accommodating for situations in which you communicate your issue and explain to them what you need. I would have to venture a guess that this is similar everywhere else. Calling in sick twice in your previous 121 life was probably out of fear of punishment. It was a different time back then. What is AWAC going to do, fire you, take you off the line without pay? They can do neither, they need us too bad as does every other company out there.

I am not denying that AWAC has some pluses, they do. I am however agreeing with others who state that the condition AWAC currently sits is not as pretty, or comfortable as other regional airlines, especially if you have previous 121 time so that you can take advantage of bonus money and captain pay along with PIC turbine time before the current 30+month upgrades here. Additionally you don't have to deal with the constant jr mans and the constant lies about it getting better, and how great we are, and how quick youre going to upgrade.

Jetmcquack1985
05-31-2018, 12:32 PM
I understand what you all guys are saying, and I gat that 85% of the people in this forum sees AWC as a company that it's gonna close ops in the next few years, for problems we all know. The fact is that moving to DC from where I am living at this time is a fact because of some personal reasons too. Republic and Mesa are out of the list, PSA and Commutair, even ABX invited me for an interview and I have another class scheduled for Express jet, so I have options here. The main thing is that if I have to commute, waste 6 days around and come back just one it's fine for me as long as the paycheck comes in the right way.
But maybe I am wrong, but for now turbine time and good bonuses with benefits are winning agaist quality of life, but then again that's how I see it from outside.

prex8390
05-31-2018, 01:22 PM
I understand what you all guys are saying, and I gat that 85% of the people in this forum sees AWC as a company that it's gonna close ops in the next few years, for problems we all know. The fact is that moving to DC from where I am living at this time is a fact because of some personal reasons too. Republic and Mesa are out of the list, PSA and Commutair, even ABX invited me for an interview and I have another class scheduled for Express jet, so I have options here. The main thing is that if I have to commute, waste 6 days around and come back just one it's fine for me as long as the paycheck comes in the right way.
But maybe I am wrong, but for now turbine time and good bonuses with benefits are winning agaist quality of life, but then again that's how I see it from outside.

Id quit the industry before I took a class with expressjet

squib
05-31-2018, 08:02 PM
Id quit the industry before I took a class with expressjet

HA. where else ya going if mainline or an LCC isn't calling? Probably going to vote "yes" too.

T28driver
05-31-2018, 11:48 PM
HA. where else ya going if mainline or an LCC isn't calling? Probably going to vote "yes" too.

Prex is at Endeavor and has been for a while.

Excargodog
06-01-2018, 06:20 AM
The fact is that moving to DC from where I am living at this time is a fact because of some personal reasons too.

Which is all well and good and everyone is entitled to choose their own poison, but it raises the question of why you are asking for advice that you've already decided you aren't going to take?

prex8390
06-01-2018, 12:08 PM

I donít work here, but used to. But Iíd a voted no thanks for asking.

squib
06-02-2018, 09:39 AM
You guys are missing the point. It's not that easy to just start again at another regional for everyone. Sorry I don't follow the career moves of every random user name on this forum.

Greensideup
06-04-2018, 05:04 AM

This is great!!! 130 hours last month. My lemonade just needs a little vodka.

injun21
06-06-2018, 09:47 PM

This is some truth

injun21
06-06-2018, 09:48 PM

This is also some good truth

injun21
06-06-2018, 09:52 PM

I donít commute. I drive to work. I see my wife and kids. See the pattern.........!?

PassportPlump
06-07-2018, 04:21 AM
I donít commute. I drive to work. I see my wife and kids. See the pattern.........!?

You can try to paint AWAC in whatever light you want to, but something stinks when youíre one of about two people on this forum that say things are great at AWAC.

As a recently departed employee from there, my first day at my new company started my recovery process. AWAC was a good airline circa 200-2005 with Scott O. 2006-07 you had Bob F and Kevin L takeover. Downhill since then IMO.

A friend of mine who works there just got home 2.5 days after his scheduled trip end. He is a LCA there which means they own you.

Is AWAC better than unemployment? Sure. Are there better options out there? Absolutely.

ZenoAir
06-07-2018, 01:15 PM
The mgmt trolls are trying hard to find some good in this current sh$t show they call a operation. Ya come be apart of our greatness join our sh$t show and fly for one of the worst performing operators in the UA system! Ya our contract will be renewed. Current mgmt has destroyed this place! JT and company have allowed a half lawyer run this place into the ground!

CAirBear
06-07-2018, 03:16 PM
The mgmt trolls are trying hard to find some good in this current sh$t show they call a operation. Ya come be apart of our greatness join our sh$t show and fly for one of the worst performing operators in the UA system! Ya our contract will be renewed. Current mgmt has destroyed this place! JT and company have allowed a half lawyer run this place into the ground!

LOL! I forgot all about BFs ďOnline law DegreeĒ 😂

injun21
06-08-2018, 02:17 AM
You can try to paint AWAC in whatever light you want to, but something stinks when youíre one of about two people on this forum that say things are great at AWAC.

As a recently departed employee from there, my first day at my new company started my recovery process. AWAC was a good airline circa 200-2005 with Scott O. 2006-07 you had Bob F and Kevin L takeover. Downhill since then IMO.

A friend of mine who works there just got home 2.5 days after his scheduled trip end. He is a LCA there which means they own you.

Is AWAC better than unemployment? Sure. Are there better options out there? Absolutely.

I didnít say things were great. I was making the point that commuting and living in/near base are two different things.

stroopwaffle
06-08-2018, 08:05 AM

Sounds like they did that to themselves. Who lets the company string them along, especially a captain?

You can say no...

squib
06-11-2018, 09:04 PM

I sincerely hope you do not think picking up a trip on your days off equate a junior man event.

No wonder this TA is gonna pass with guys like this. No one wants your terrible kool-aid mixed lemonade. If it was an actual junior man you choose one or the other. Please explain how it "pays 12 hours solely because you get those days back."

(and great, 10 for a year!, others have ZERO)

stroopwaffle
06-12-2018, 05:20 AM
It doesnít sound like 10 is a hard limit, people are getting/taking more than 10 junior mans.

squib
06-12-2018, 08:48 AM
It doesnít sound like 10 is a hard limit, people are getting/taking more than 10 junior mans.

It's written in the contact in very simple language. There are guys who let scheduling force them into more somehow and tell them to grieve it later instead of just saying no. Then there are guys who accept more to enhance their paycheck. Either way, both are contractual violations.

JeffW85
06-12-2018, 09:50 AM
It's written in the contact in very simple language. There are guys who let scheduling force them into more somehow and tell them to grieve it later instead of just saying no. Then there are guys who accept more to enhance their paycheck. Either way, both are contractual violations.

A pilot will not be required to fly open time pursuant to paragraphs P.1.f. or g. above, or be extended for more than six (6) duty hours (measured from the scheduled termination point of the pilotís original trip hour period) or three (3) legs, whichever occurs first, pursuant to
Section 3.N., for more than a total of ten (10) duty periods in a calendar year, unless the pilot consents to perform the flying.

Emphasis added. Only one circumstance mentioned above is an actual contract violation, albeit a pretty brazen one.

lukeh99
06-12-2018, 10:29 AM
I sincerely hope you do not think picking up a trip on your days off equate a junior man event.

No wonder this TA is gonna pass with guys like this. No one wants your terrible kool-aid mixed lemonade. If it was an actual junior man you choose one or the other. Please explain how it "pays 12 hours solely because you get those days back."

(and great, 10 for a year!, others have ZERO)

I put in the pick up comments I would accept as a junior man only. Taking a day in lieu does not eliminate your 200% pay. You get paid the higher of 200% or the day in lieu. It takes some planning but you can come out ahead in hours with same number of days off. If you donít believe this check the latest union email for a breakdown.

lukeh99
06-12-2018, 10:33 AM

I know many who are well over 10 intentionally for paycheck enhancement. Havenít actually spoken to anyone who was forced over 10. I suppose it could be happening but havenít heard/seen any direct evidence.

StrykerB21
06-12-2018, 01:41 PM
I know many who are well over 10 intentionally for paycheck enhancement. Havenít actually spoken to anyone who was forced over 10. I suppose it could be happening but havenít heard/seen any direct evidence.

Everyone seems to know someone whos been forced past 10 junior mans but no one knows that someones name.

Day4mx
06-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Everyone seems to know someone whos been forced past 10 junior mans but no one knows that someones name.

Ive yet to fly with any one over ten but ive flown with multiple new fo's, too many to be a coincidence or misunderstanding, who are under the impression that theyre required to answer phone calls and accept junior mans on days off. One told me Paula came in to explain scheduling during indoc and said theyre required to answer/accept.

StrykerB21
06-12-2018, 04:08 PM
Ive yet to fly with any one over ten but ive flown with multiple new fo's, too many to be a coincidence or misunderstanding, who are under the impression that theyre required to answer phone calls and accept junior mans on days off. One told me Paula came in to explain scheduling during indoc and said theyre required to answer/accept.

Now THAT I believe. I hope whoever was teaching indoc set the record straight to that class.

IFLYACRJ
06-12-2018, 05:17 PM
I only have 2 JMs this year. I must be doing something wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OT35
06-12-2018, 05:22 PM
Somehow I dont have any JM's. Those 5 leg day 4's that start before 0600 must be doing the trick

Junkyard Dog
06-12-2018, 05:38 PM
We will be short staffed as long as they keep washing out new hires in training. I wonder how much this costs the company when less than half a new hire class can get through training.

StrykerB21
06-12-2018, 07:34 PM
We will be short staffed as long as they keep washing out new hires in training. I wonder how much this costs the company when less than half a new hire class can get through training.

Id rather they wash out and us be perpetually understaffed than squeeze someone through that probably isn't capable of the job. Our training department isnt without its faults but I like that our standards are high. Just one mans opinion though.

BigWillyCapt
06-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Id rather they wash out and us be perpetually understaffed than squeeze someone through that probably isn't capable of the job. Our training department isnt without its faults but I like that our standards are high. Just one mans opinion though.

This ^^^^

After doing IOE for 7 years I was glad the standards are there. There were more than a few who made it to IOE and needed a ton of help. Some made it, some didn't. And, that being said, the majority that make it through did a fine job on the line.

IFLYACRJ
06-14-2018, 06:24 AM
Iíve had the pleasure of flying with a few newbies. I have had no issues with any of them except one or two being a bit nervous.
Iíd rather the training dept send out Pilots who are proficient and LCAs sign off those who are ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Day4mx
06-14-2018, 09:38 AM

The only way QOL ever improves here is if this TA passes. The company will have their feet held to the fire if we get premium pay AND a day off with pay. Thats unsuatainable for the company. Without this ta.. We will keep getting our 7 days off a month.

idlethrust
06-14-2018, 10:10 AM
The only way QOL ever improves here is if this TA passes. The company will have their feet held to the fire if we get premium pay AND a day off with pay. Thats unsuatainable for the company. Without this ta.. We will keep getting our 7 days off a month.
^^^^^^^ either a union guy or a troll trying to push this crap of a ta.NO NO and [email protected] NO

Day4mx
06-14-2018, 10:14 AM
^^^^^^^ either a union guy or a troll trying to push this crap of a ta.NO NO and [email protected] NO

Never been part of the union. Dont even generally read their emails. Dont care too. Just past fed up with the horrific quality of life.

pitchtrim
06-14-2018, 10:44 AM
Airwilly forum currently at 78.6% no vote. Qol AND money is what we want.

Junkyard Dog
06-14-2018, 10:46 AM

I canít disagree. But as long as we hire what we hire, things will never change.

Junkyard Dog
06-14-2018, 10:47 AM

Havenít been on there since Steve and Carl arenít feuding on there any longer

Day4mx
06-14-2018, 10:59 AM

Well a no vote gets us neither. Itll leave every union leadership position vacant (im sure that pole smoker cm or alcoholic rf will step up after all). Itll be a year minimum before going back to the table to open up every section again. Fact is we already get our 1.5% raise that compounds annually. How much higher paid can we expect to be when the reality is we operate in a cuthroat ffd segment. I hope everyone voting no is prepared to suffer the consequences because ol frisch aint gonna jump back to the table and offer us 15% because we voted no again.

RAHkid94
06-14-2018, 01:47 PM
Well a no vote gets us neither. Itll leave every union leadership position vacant (im sure that pole smoker cm or alcoholic rf will step up after all). Itll be a year minimum before going back to the table to open up every section again. Fact is we already get our 1.5% raise that compounds annually. How much higher paid can we expect to be when the reality is we operate in a cuthroat ffd segment. I hope everyone voting no is prepared to suffer the consequences because ol frisch aint gonna jump back to the table and offer us 15% because we voted no again.

A no vote will get nothing with that attitude. This could be over if the union actively picketed and sent cards to potential new hires (like Frontier did) to ask them to steer clear of the company. Dry up the flow of new hires and the company will come back to the table.

The union never should've signed the LOA authorizing new hire bonuses to begin with.

Excargodog
06-14-2018, 03:30 PM

Less than it will cost them if they certify someone who isn't up to the job.

Regional wide, the companies have all repeatedly lowered recruiting standards just to get butts in the seats at the schoolhouses. But the lowered recruiting standards (now approaching, 1500 hours of SOME KIND of flying and the ability to fog a mirror) means these applicants are less likely to make it through training. Couple that with unprecedented hiring by the majors, oftentimes from the very instructors and CKAs needed to make a training program effective, leads to washbacks that use up still more instructor and sim time. It's sort of a perfect [email protected] in the regional industry training facilities right now.

Excargodog
06-14-2018, 03:37 PM
Fact is we already get our 1.5% raise that compounds annually.

All true, but what is the inflation rate? Answer - 2.8% over the last 12 months

https://www.bls.gov/cpi/home.htm

Meaning that a 1.5% annual raise actually means the value of your salary will actually DECREASE by 1.3% per year, which - yeah - compounds annually.

Day4mx
06-14-2018, 04:08 PM
All true, but what is the inflation rate? Answer - 2.8% over the last 12 months

https://www.bls.gov/cpi/home.htm

Meaning that a 1.5% annual raise actually means the value of your salary will actually DECREASE by 1.3% per year, which - yeah - compounds annually.

What annual raises do you get at any other regional?

squib
06-14-2018, 05:19 PM
What annual raises do you get at any other regional?

Simple math will show you that based on longevity most other regionals (based on the APC pay scales) get greater than a 3% pay raise annually.

squib
06-14-2018, 05:22 PM
We will keep getting our 7 days off a month.

As much as I dislike current scheduling practices, who is getting 7 days off a month? Minimum is 12 so that would imply that people are going over the 10 junior mans as that would be 5/month and they would have been done with junior mans after 2 months. But it's also been stated that no one is at or over 10. Something doesn't add up here.

BennyMiddleton
06-14-2018, 07:25 PM
Howís a regular day at good ole Air WISCONSIN? Asking for a friend.

T28driver
06-14-2018, 07:57 PM
As much as I dislike current scheduling practices, who is getting 7 days off a month? Minimum is 12 so that would imply that people are going over the 10 junior mans as that would be 5/month and they would have been done with junior mans after 2 months. But it's also been stated that no one is at or over 10. Something doesn't add up here.

Holy smokes Iím in agreement with squib.

People are over the 10 junior man threshold (Iím one of them), but most of us in that boat are doing so for tactical reasons (example: accept a junior man assignment on day one of a trip that starts more than 6 hours before original showtime, use the day in lieu, Iíve now created an ďextraĒ day off in my schedule). If you are consistently getting only 7 days a month off, its probably because you are not using days in lieu, which is a mistake.

stroopwaffle
06-15-2018, 02:24 AM
Howís a regular day at good ole Air WISCONSIN? Asking for a friend.

Sometimes you can get through a whole day of your schedule without any hiccups and enjoy your scheduled length of overnight.

Sometimes you finish a trip on day four and no one tries to extend or junior man you into more flying or days off.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1