Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : 73 vs Airbus...Schedules Only!

Rawhide16
05-24-2018, 01:51 PM
First, this is not a d!ck measuring contest between the 73 folks and the Airbus folks as to which airplane is better.

I'm curious as to the difference in schedules between the two. I realize it depends on seniority and domicile but looking for generalities leaning more toward the junior folk. Does one have less slash trips than the other? Does one have more commutable lines? Is one typically easier to drop/pick up trips?

From what I can tell from looking at the APA PBS Awards, the 73 seems to offer a slightly better schedule sooner with regard to line value, trip quality, and shorter timeline to line holder. I also realize that this doesn't tell the whole story.

My ultimate goal is to get to either ORD or CLT for long-term commutability as we are not willing to move to a base and I'm trying to determine the best path to take. I care more about QOL (max pay with max days off) over the flying destinations and the "fun" flying. At least for now.

Thanks!

Bob Loblaw
05-24-2018, 02:48 PM
If you want ORD or CLT, your going to want the bus. As far as schedules go, the differ way too much from base to base. This year we take delivery of a bunch of 73s. Next year, a bunch of Airbus.

Rawhide16
05-24-2018, 03:01 PM
If you want ORD or CLT, your going to want the bus. As far as schedules go, the differ way too much from base to base. This year we take delivery of a bunch of 73s. Next year, a bunch of Airbus.

Thanks Bob! Even though ORD doesnít have any Airbii/Airbuseses? Or are you saying that the bus offers a better overall QOL than the 73/ORD?

Name User
05-24-2018, 03:21 PM
They both have trips that cover multiple bases depending on the plane and base. Example LAX covers a bunch of airports on the 737 similar to NYC. The Airbus only starts/ends out of LAX.

But for now the Airbus in CLT and 737 in ORD only cover one airport but it's something you'd have to deal with when junior and not at your preferred base yet.

Keep in mind CLT is going to be forever senior. If you live there not a big deal but personally if I had a choice where to commute I would go to the junior base. I've been here four+ years and if I was still in CLT would be doing back to back red eyes...

EMBFlyer
05-24-2018, 04:49 PM
In DFW, I've found the schedules to be much better on the 737. Fewer redeyes and fewer ODANS (all-nighter turns...although some are coming back). The trips seem to be more productive. From my perspective, the 737 has better seniority. All of the LUS pilots coming into DFW have wanted to stay on the Bus. I keep moving down it, but moving up on the 737.

aa73
05-24-2018, 05:15 PM
There is no ORD/320 bid status as of now. Probably some time in the near future.

meyers9163
05-24-2018, 06:13 PM
ORD doesnít have many commuter friendly options. CLT by far has more flights, more random schedules, more pilots etc. ORD very senior pilots get the few commutable 4 days and 3 days there are. Seems in CLT thereís more options obviously. Many ORD pilots live near by and drive. Many early start and late finishes. Many real early starts and LGA DCA BOS turns to end a trip. Just a few thoughts on it since being in ord.

Rawhide16
05-24-2018, 06:51 PM
Good stuff! Thanks everyone. Definitely a lot to think about.

Sliceback
05-24-2018, 07:00 PM
You need to compare the trips at your seniority. Thatís the great part of checking the 3XPís since it allows you to see what youíd actual fly.

Iíd consider bidding the 190 and get the quickest advancement to line bolder. The junior 190 trips/line holders I checked were frequently commuteable trips. Crazy. It gives you months to check the next bid x base 320 Gís 737) while youíre a line holder.

Rawhide16
05-25-2018, 02:35 AM
You need to compare the trips at your seniority. Thatís the great part of checking the 3XPís since it allows you to see what youíd actual fly.

Iíd consider bidding the 190 and get the quickest advancement to line bolder. The junior 190 trips/line holders I checked were frequently commuteable trips. Crazy. It gives you months to check the next bid x base 320 Gís 737) while youíre a line holder.

Iím already on the 190 but Iím out on 6 months of mil leave. When I return Iím contractually able to bid to whatever my seniority will hold and was hoping to take this opportunity to switch rather than be withheld.

meyers9163
05-25-2018, 06:30 PM
So on probation still? Did ORD get pilots junior to you? I know CLT hasnít obviously in a while. Just wondering.

Rawhide16
05-25-2018, 06:39 PM
So on probation still? Did ORD get pilots junior to you? I know CLT hasnít obviously in a while. Just wondering.

I am. Not expecting to get ORD or CLT for quite some time. Just trying to set myself up for success now and considering my options.

Sliceback
05-25-2018, 08:22 PM
Youíll be locked into the next seat for two years. Iíd try and predict the future -

1. figure out your yearly seniority number improvement. Compare what youíd hold at the one and two year mark using the 4XPís.

2. (better) - use the APA 3XPís and find out how many senior guys retire in the base youíre evaluating. Pick a percentage (80%??) and assume that many n/b FOís senior to you bid into the seats bring vacated by retirees.

3. See what sort of trips you can expect to hold using #1 or #2 ^

Using these assumptions might give you a better feel for what bid status would be better over a two year span.

Rawhide16
05-28-2018, 04:39 AM
Youíll be locked into the next seat for two years. Iíd try and predict the future -

1. figure out your yearly seniority number improvement. Compare what youíd hold at the one and two year mark using the 4XPís.

2. (better) - use the APA 3XPís and find out how many senior guys retire in the base youíre evaluating. Pick a percentage (80%??) and assume that many n/b FOís senior to you bid into the seats bring vacated by retirees.

3. See what sort of trips you can expect to hold using #1 or #2 ^

Using these assumptions might give you a better feel for what bid status would be better over a two year span.

Thanks Slice! I've seen the 3XPs but I'm not familiar with the 4XPs. Where are those found?

Sliceback
05-28-2018, 09:19 AM
Typo. Itís all 3XPís

N10DJ
05-30-2018, 05:38 PM
Anyone know how long they are withholding people transferring between 737 to A320 or vice versa? Seems like that and the 787 group are the main equipment types being withheld. Hopefully not the full year.

meyers9163
05-31-2018, 02:05 AM
Itís all over. Seems itís based on their need. ORD 737 pilots from airbus bases got transferred fairly quickly the last few bids. I.e ord was short on 737 drivers for many months and they finally addressed it. Seems itís all bases on their needs and no rhyme or reason?

mainlineAF
05-31-2018, 03:54 AM
Anyone know how long they are withholding people transferring between 737 to A320 or vice versa? Seems like that and the 787 group are the main equipment types being withheld. Hopefully not the full year.

Almost everyone who bids off the 190 (ca and fo) gets withheld close to the year limit.

Cheddar
05-31-2018, 07:32 PM
I was released 7 months early from a seat lock on the bus in DFW for a pref bid I never expected. In fact I think all the Airbus DFW FOs werenít withheld leaving for other pref bids while the 737 FOs all seemed withheld. The last bid, it seemed like crew planning realized their mistake and filled the 320 again. Sooooooo, you never know if or when you will get what you want! Bid what you want!!!

Itís been said before about AA, and itís true - every day is our first day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViperGuy69
06-01-2018, 06:13 AM
Speaking of schedules between 737/320/190...

If you were commuting from OKC, and had your choice between 737/320 in LAX or the 190 in PHL, which do think would be better?

2x non-stops per day from OKC to both cities.

Assuming a new hire, with a desire to get based in DFW eventually.

Surprise
06-01-2018, 06:46 AM

If you were commuting from OKC, and had your choice between 737/320 in LAX or the 190 in PHL, which do think would be better?

I think the consensus here is that commuting to LAX 737 would suck on reserve because youíd have to cover 4 different airports which are far apart and have poor options for public transportation. So that leaves LAX 320 or PHL 190. LAX 320 youíd be really junior for a long time, but PHL 190 youíd move right on up, and last I heard people were holding lines after only a few months.

So bottom line, if PHL is a reasonable commute, Iíd choose the 190 any day. Which is what I did years ago!

mainlineAF
06-01-2018, 09:21 AM

Commuting to reserve for around a year to cover 4 airports or commute to one airport and be a line holder in a few months? Know what Iíd do.

The only advantage LAX has is you gain an hour or two on your way to work.

Rawhide16
06-01-2018, 10:07 AM
I think the consensus here is that commuting to LAX 737 would suck on reserve because youíd have to cover 4 different airports which are far apart and have poor options for public transportation. So that leaves LAX 320 or PHL 190. LAX 320 youíd be really junior for a long time, but PHL 190 youíd move right on up, and last I heard people were holding lines after only a few months.

So bottom line, if PHL is a reasonable commute, Iíd choose the 190 any day. Which is what I did years ago!

Iím a Nov hire on the 190 that finished OE in Jan and I still canít hold a line. Maybe Jul. Iíd say 7 months to a line on the 190 is more realistic. My indoc classmates on the 73 in LGA are getting lines at about 5-6 months.

PRS Guitars
06-01-2018, 11:53 AM

I’ve commuted to both. 190 in PHL and AB in LAX. One thing that you might want to consider is cost of hotel or crash pad. PHL crash pads are about $200 to $250 a month and a bus ride away. I use hotels in LAX (when needed, which is self imposed at my seniority, but will likely be needed at yours). I spend $110 to $150 a night, but you can find as low as $80 if you’re willing to stay in a crap hole. That’s going to get expensive sitting reserve.

Another thing is number of commuters, I’d wager that more OKC guys are commuting to LAX than PHL, but just a guess. This is because PHL is not on most OKC guys radar when they get hired here, they are gunning for DFW, and kind of look at 737 as the way to get there quickly. Again, just an assumption on my part,from talking to various new hires over the years.

I prefer LAX, but mainly because my commute there is way better than to PHL. Realize too, that you will likely be able to change bases on the group 2 aircraft pretty quickly (6 months) depending on base.

Cheddar
06-01-2018, 12:16 PM

Have a friend doing exactly that. OKC - LAX/737. Heís making it work, but I donít think itís easy. Lots of offline flying (SWA and DAL) through other airports but ouch.

PHX/320 is going to newhires now - SWA has several and we have a few directs from OKC.

Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViperGuy69
06-02-2018, 04:12 AM
I’ve commuted to both. 190 in PHL and AB in LAX. One thing that you might want to consider is cost of hotel or crash pad. PHL crash pads are about $200 to $250 a month and a bus ride away. I use hotels in LAX (when needed, which is self imposed at my seniority, but will likely be needed at yours). I spend $110 to $150 a night, but you can find as low as $80 if you’re willing to stay in a crap hole. That’s going to get expensive sitting reserve.

Another thing is number of commuters, I’d wager that more OKC guys are commuting to LAX than PHL, but just a guess. This is because PHL is not on most OKC guys radar when they get hired here, they are gunning for DFW, and kind of look at 737 as the way to get there quickly. Again, just an assumption on my part,from talking to various new hires over the years.

I prefer LAX, but mainly because my commute there is way better than to PHL. Realize too, that you will likely be able to change bases on the group 2 aircraft pretty quickly (6 months) depending on base.

Thanks for the info. Couple more questions:

Is it true that the AA operations center at LAX has sleep rooms and showers? Do pilots use those in lieu of hotels/crashpads?

Also, as a new hire in LAX, could you bid LC and then proffer trips to minimize the need for hotels/crashpads?

Thanks again

mainlineAF
06-02-2018, 06:12 AM
Iím a Nov hire on the 190 that finished OE in Jan and I still canít hold a line. Maybe Jul. Iíd say 7 months to a line on the 190 is more realistic. My indoc classmates on the 73 in LGA are getting lines at about 5-6 months.

That info is only good for people hired in nov 17. Could be shorter to a line or it could be longer for someone hired tomorrow.

PRS Guitars
06-02-2018, 07:39 AM

Is it true that the AA operations center at LAX has sleep rooms and showers? Do pilots use those in lieu of hotels/crashpads?

Also, as a new hire in LAX, could you bid LC and then proffer trips to minimize the need for hotels/crashpads?

Thanks again

The sleep room is just a room with somewhat uncomfortable recliners. They keep the whole place very cold. There is a shower, Iíve never used it as it requires a key (that I lost after they gave it to me). It is not conducive to good rest and wouldnít work well in lieu of a crash pad on reserve IMO. More of used for catching sleep after getting in late and taking an early flight home, or canít get a hotel.

PHLís USO used to have proper bunk beds, which I used once in a while when my commute flight got in late and I was going out early. But you donít want to wear out your welcome or take advantage of the USO, so I only used it rarely.

Bottom line, I recomend just accepting the higher costs of commuting as the cost of doing business and donít go cheap. Itís only for a year or 2 and is way cheaper than moving to LA or the North East. Your wife will understand. I recomend the AB over the 737, so that you donít have to cover multiple bases.

Yes, on long call you can proffer for trips, but itís done by seniority within groups sorted by hours flown. You wonít get a trip if youíre in a high hours flown group relative to others. This would be great on long call, because you get paid to stay home. Only caveat is that I donít recomend sitting at home on LC on probation, but thatís just me. Off probation, on LC, I never come in to base unless assigned a trip.

EMBFlyer
06-02-2018, 09:40 AM

Thanks again

Please do not live in Ops!

PRS Guitars
06-02-2018, 10:37 AM

Yes, exactly what I was trying to say, but much more concise:cool:

Frip
06-03-2018, 04:50 AM

Get out of the airport and away from the craphole commuter hotels.
A small camper or boat or room for let and a cheap car won't run much more than a few nights in the crap hotel anyway.

Sit on the beach, surf, hike the mountains, go to the museums, join the gun club, or whatever...

There is no two hour call out. A beat up Miata gets you to a decent and cheaper place via the scenic route for no more $$ than the craphole.

Just do it responsibly, and have a little fun while you're stuck commuting to reserve.

Rawhide16
06-03-2018, 07:03 AM
That info is only good for people hired in nov 17. Could be shorter to a line or it could be longer for someone hired tomorrow.

True but there is a common misconception out there that getting an E190 will get you to a line faster. I figured Iíd share my experience to show that isnít always the case. If a line is what you want then 73 may be faster. It also may not.

flysooner9
06-03-2018, 07:22 AM
For selfish reasons Iím going to say bid for LAX. Iím going to be doing the OKC-PHL commute later this summer. I also know of another OKC guy thatís going to start commuting to PHL in September.

sherpster
06-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Lga 737 guys getting lines right out of tng or only 1 month on reserve. Your results may vary.

Paperboi
06-03-2018, 11:58 AM
And what about time to line or long call for lga a320?

Sliceback
06-03-2018, 12:09 PM
June - LGA 320 LC is 20 numbers senior to bottom 737 line holder.
330 line holder (LH) is about 150 numbers (2 months) senior to 737 LH.

IMO itís in the noise. Previous months might have been different, future months might be different.

Sliceback
06-03-2018, 12:25 PM
PHL 190 LC is basically the same seniority as LGA 320 LC or LGA 737 line holder. 116/160 guys. Junior guy has 44 guys between him and holding LC.... but 34 guys, 21% of the bid status, all in the top 60%, will leave in June-August. So the guy who was 60% today will be 40% in September.

Theyíre leaving because their withholding clock has expired. Will that continue in the next bid run? 10-17 guys per month?

If the exodus continues that means the junior guy today will hold LC in September and a line in October. Maybe two months SC, a month LC, then holding a line. By next summer theyíd be approx 50%, or better, in their 190 FO seat and getting G2 pay with a withhold from their next bid status.

No guarantees but itís a game plan Iíd pursue, especially if bidding horsepower was important and you canít get to the base or your choice in the next 12-18 months or if you will be a commuter regardless (ie OKC to XYZ).

Name User
06-03-2018, 01:01 PM
Commuting out of OKC?

Bid the S80...we have nine (9!) direct flights all but one is a mainline with JS.

Then when you get displaced next year you can force yourself into DFW without a vacancy.

Don't make this hard.

Saabs
06-03-2018, 02:23 PM

Iím starting to think you donít like me rummaging through my bag in the quiet room or texting all night long with my ringer on full blast.

LIOG41
06-03-2018, 05:13 PM
Youíll be sleeping next to the FAís soon in LAX ops from what I hear. Guess they are taking over.

LAX Intl ops needs a separate crew room.

EMBFlyer
06-03-2018, 05:52 PM
Iím starting to think you donít like me rummaging through my bag in the quiet room or texting all night long with my ringer on full blast.

Haha! The joys of shared ops.

mainlineAF
06-03-2018, 06:02 PM
True but there is a common misconception out there that getting an E190 will get you to a line faster. I figured Iíd share my experience to show that isnít always the case. If a line is what you want then 73 may be faster. It also may not.

Very true.

ViperGuy69
06-04-2018, 05:07 AM
Commuting out of OKC?

Bid the S80...we have nine (9!) direct flights all but one is a mainline with JS.

Then when you get displaced next year you can force yourself into DFW without a vacancy.

Don't make this hard.

Yeah the S80/DFW will be my first choice definitely, but if hired I probably wonít go to indoc until August. Not sure if theyíll still be handing out those assignments anymore. Keeping my fingers crossed!

ORDinary
06-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Lga 737 guys getting lines right out of tng or only 1 month on reserve. Your results may vary.

Not true. Junior long call pilots are on at least their 3rd month. Not that that's bad, but 1 month to a line is definitely not true.

sherpster
06-04-2018, 02:41 PM
Not true. Junior long call pilots are on at least their 3rd month. Not that that's bad, but 1 month to a line is definitely not true.

Ok, if you say so BUT I did 1 day of short call in april after tng, then had a line in may and now june. And I am not the only one

ORDinary
06-04-2018, 03:15 PM
Ok, if you say so BUT I did 1 day of short call in april after tng, then had a line in may and now june. And I am not the only one

That's awesome. I guess maybe it's cyclical.

ViperGuy69
06-07-2018, 04:36 AM
Iíve heard the 320 is a little easier than the 737 in LAX becasue you only have to cover one airport. What about the lines being ďcommutableĒ? Lots of early shows/late finishes? Trips that begin with a deadhead or redeye?

PRS Guitars
06-07-2018, 09:02 AM
Iíve heard the 320 is a little easier than the 737 in LAX becasue you only have to cover one airport. What about the lines being ďcommutableĒ? Lots of early shows/late finishes? Trips that begin with a deadhead or redeye?

It will change by the time you get here.

Its a mixed bag. There are lots of trips that start with red eyes (also known as ďall nightersĒ) to the east coast. They are often in open time, so go to reserves. Good news is they are commutable on the front end, not great on the back side for a commute to OKC Iím guessing. There are lots of great trips too, that will vary by seniority and you might get one on reserve. We have some commutable 3 days that pay 17+ hours (which is good for a three day) and are easily commutable on both sides. We have some commutable 2 & 1 days as well, not a lot of 4 days and they are rarely in open time (unless they start with a red eye). As a new hire, Iím not sure what youíre schedule will look like, youíll get DFW before you hit 80% in LAX I bet.

But really, the bottom line is, it doesnít matter for you right now (see my first sentence). Your priority is get hired, get a class date, expect poor QOL for a year or two, manage expectations with your family, then mitigate you QOL and commute, the best you can until you can hold DFW. I seriously wouldnít put too much thought into it until you are on property, then you will have access to the data yourself and can really start planning. I certainly wouldnít factor LAX into your decision matrix about which airline to go to.

OVBIII
06-07-2018, 09:51 AM
It will change by the time you get here.

Its a mixed bag. There are lots of trips that start with red eyes (also known as ďall nightersĒ) to the east coast. They are often in open time, so go to reserves. Good news is they are commutable on the front end, not great on the back side for a commute to OKC Iím guessing. There are lots of great trips too, that will vary by seniority and you might get one on reserve. We have some commutable 3 days that pay 17+ hours (which is good for a three day) and are easily commutable on both sides. We have some commutable 2 & 1 days as well, not a lot of 4 days and they are rarely in open time (unless they start with a red eye). As a new hire, Iím not sure what youíre schedule will look like, youíll get DFW before you hit 80% in LAX I bet.

But really, the bottom line is, it doesnít matter for you right now (see my first sentence). Your priority is get hired, get a class date, expect poor QOL for a year or two, manage expectations with your family, then mitigate you QOL and commute, the best you can until you can hold DFW. I seriously wouldnít put too much thought into it until you are on property, then you will have access to the data yourself and can really start planning. I certainly wouldnít factor LAX into your decision matrix about which airline to go to.

Very well put. I think a part a lot of people miss is the ďmanage expectations with the familyĒ. I have spent a lot of time at home as a new hire so Iím talking out of both sides of my mouth. But I spent a lot of time preparing my family for the reasonable time away. (Never mind the fact that when I was full time mil I was never ever home)

ViperGuy69
06-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the great info. I am prepared to commute to reserve on the west or east coast for a year or so until I can hold DFW. Just curious if PHL or LAX would be easier from OKC. Sounds like they both have pluses and minuses.

nimslow
06-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the great info. I am prepared to commute to reserve on the west or east coast for a year or so until I can hold DFW. Just curious if PHL or LAX would be easier from OKC. Sounds like they both have pluses and minuses.

One thing to keep in mind about DFW. It is (and probably always will be) a "senior" base. This is the reason, that after 25 years in the "Jethroplex" we are closer than ever to pulling chocks, and moving to a junior base. I don't want to work weekends, and every holiday, plus have vacation in September/October or February/March, for the next decade. And after 15 years of on and off commuting, I'm over the commuter lifestyle.

MrObvious
06-10-2018, 02:43 AM
One thing to keep in mind about DFW. It is (and probably always will be) a "senior" base. This is the reason, that after 25 years in the "Jethroplex" we are closer than ever to pulling chocks, and moving to a junior base. I don't want to work weekends, and every holiday, plus have vacation in September/October or February/March, for the next decade. And after 15 years of on and off commuting, I'm over the commuter lifestyle.
Is ORD likely to be senior forever as well?

AFTrainerGuy
06-10-2018, 06:51 AM
Is ORD likely to be senior forever as well?

At current trends, CLT will be. QOL is awesome here if you live in base but itís been perpetual stagnation even with all the retirements

MrObvious
06-10-2018, 08:01 AM
At current trends, CLT will be. QOL is awesome here if you live in base but itís been perpetual stagnation even with all the retirements

Quality of life is awesome in clt? Or ord? Or just American in general if you live in base cause I'm a 2 hour drive from ord and that would be ideal for me.

AFTrainerGuy
06-10-2018, 08:43 AM
Quality of life is awesome in clt? Or ord? Or just American in general if you live in base cause I'm a 2 hour drive from ord and that would be ideal for me.

CLT... I mean outside of work... affordable lake life, better than descent schools, booming city with a lot to offer. Iím sure many could make same argument about a lot of other bases though.

But ya... living in base sure helps. Sit reserve, make league minimum, and generally get paid to sit at home a lot and enjoy spending time not flying

If you live that close to ORD, who cares on how senior or junior it is. I tried commuting for a year and it wasnít for me. Of course, where I lived before was just the end of my military moves and I had no ties or reason to be there, so it was a easy decision to move on into base

MrObvious
06-10-2018, 10:48 AM
CLT... I mean outside of work... affordable lake life, better than descent schools, booming city with a lot to offer. Iím sure many could make same argument about a lot of other bases though.

But ya... living in base sure helps. Sit reserve, make league minimum, and generally get paid to sit at home a lot and enjoy spending time not flying

If you live that close to ORD, who cares on how senior or junior it is. I tried commuting for a year and it wasnít for me. Of course, where I lived before was just the end of my military moves and I had no ties or reason to be there, so it was a easy decision to move on into base

Yeah I've been commuting 2 legs for almost a year, I used to live in base and commuting is a nightmare it makes me so unhappy I can tell the difference. I lived in base for 5 years it was so much better, I'll be in class soon at American definitely not interested in commuting but I understand at times it can be part of the job so I'm prepared for that,just hope it won't take forever to get into ord.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1