Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : AA Training slow down ...?.

AHTTD
05-24-2018, 07:09 PM
Got the invite.

Gave the video. Provided the SSN.

Then nothing. Three weeks ...

Buddy ahead of me (who scheduled his interview) said they had to push his to the right.

Any further info / guesses ...?.

Saabs
05-24-2018, 07:53 PM
Got the invite.

Buddy ahead of me (who scheduled his interview) said they had to push his to the right.

5-6 years ago took me 6 months after interview to get the call.

cactusmike
05-24-2018, 07:55 PM
The schoolhouse is packed. There may not be slots for new hires until the last bid merry go round slows enough for new riders to get on.

collegedropout9
05-26-2018, 02:38 PM
Typical summer scheduling snafus..
They need Checkairman covering flying and not training.
Besides, AA is reactionary not forward thinking. They probably donít even know there is a retirement bubble on the horizon.

ERflyer
06-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Typical summer scheduling snafus..
They need Checkairman covering flying and not training.
Besides, AA is reactionary not forward thinking. They probably donít even know there is a retirement bubble on the horizon.

Slowdown at Delta for the same reasons.

webecheck
06-03-2018, 06:33 PM
Slowdown at Delta for the same reasons.

Meanwhile at United, we are adding classes for the summer...after announcing several months ago there would be none. Iím not sure whether that indicates we are proactive, or worse in the reactive department. Lol

sherpster
06-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Meanwhile at United, we are adding classes for the summer...after announcing several months ago there would be none. Iím not sure whether that indicates we are proactive, or worse in the reactive department. Lol

You guys have barely ran any new hire classes the last couple of years so your post means nothing

webecheck
06-04-2018, 06:59 AM
You guys have barely ran any new hire classes the last couple of years so your post means nothing

Your post is a joke, right?

Saabs
06-04-2018, 08:41 AM
Your post is a joke, right?

Hopefully he was just kidding

Glad to hear yíall are hiring again. Itís mind blowing how they had slowed it down. Any inside clues as to why they havenít hired much with all the retirements and Kirbyís mainline growth plan?

webecheck
06-04-2018, 09:23 AM

Glad to hear yíall are hiring again. Itís mind blowing how they had slowed it down. Any inside clues as to why they havenít hired much with all the retirements and Kirbyís mainline growth plan?

Yeah, lots of furlough returns (so they are done with mil leave and work a full schedule), plus the company did this efficiency push where every pilot is basically working 5% more hours. The math says that worked out to not hiring about 500 pilots. Now most categories are understaffed and lots of premium pay already! I think last yr we had about 300 new hire pilots, not sure the #of furlough returns, perhaps 300ish too. I heard 80 in class for June is the latest number.

MasterOfPuppets
06-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Yeah, lots of furlough returns (so they are done with mil leave and work a full schedule), plus the company did this efficiency push where every pilot is basically working 5% more hours. The math says that worked out to not hiring about 500 pilots. Now most categories are understaffed and lots of premium pay already! I think last yr we had about 300 new hire pilots, not sure the #of furlough returns, perhaps 300ish too. I heard 80 in class for June is the latest number.

They bumped it to 100 new hires +recalls and returnees. There will be 2 classes of 55 new hires each in June.

MasterOfPuppets
06-04-2018, 07:46 PM

Glad to hear y’all are hiring again. It’s mind blowing how they had slowed it down. Any inside clues as to why they haven’t hired much with all the retirements and Kirby’s mainline growth plan?

1400 furloughed pilots have returned since 2012. Plus a massive displacement cycle that right sized the bases and a push toward efficiency.

At this point we are as lean as we can get across the board and with only a 100ish furloughs to come back United’s hiring numbers are about to skyrocket.

Name User
06-05-2018, 06:53 AM
Normally it's the Delta guys who always crash threads and post about how awesome they are. Odd for United guys to do it.

sherpster
06-05-2018, 07:05 AM
Unitedís hiring numbers are about to skyrocket.

Umm, OK, believe it when we see it

Saabs
06-05-2018, 07:33 AM
1400 furloughed pilots have returned since 2012. Plus a massive displacement cycle that right sized the bases and a push toward efficiency.

At this point we are as lean as we can get across the board and with only a 100ish furloughs to come back Unitedís hiring numbers are about to skyrocket.
Good to hear I hope it does skyrocket. Yíalls retirement wave hits a few years before ours does I believe.

Craigmac3030
06-29-2018, 08:54 PM
OP did you hear anything back in the month of June?? Curious if you can provide an update...

Blueflyer
06-30-2018, 12:31 PM
Which classes are currently being filled for new hires?

Craigmac3030
07-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Got the invite.

Have you heard back yet??

Whiskey4
07-03-2018, 06:02 PM
Which classes are currently being filled for new hires?

I just got the invite for Aug 7th class...looking forward to it!!

Craigmac3030
07-03-2018, 07:12 PM
I just got the invite for Aug 7th class...looking forward to it!!

What was your time line from video interview to face to face then to training date? Thanks and congrats!!

Whiskey4
07-04-2018, 08:38 AM
What was your time line from video interview to face to face then to training date? Thanks and congrats!!

Iím afraid I canít help much with the time between phases of the interview since Iím coming from a WO regional, so not the same process. However, my transfer was awarded back in April and Iíll be starting Aug 7th. Transfer award (the process equivalent of a completed interview for a street hire) to job offer was 3 months with another month before starting class. However, some of our pilots in the May class only saw 45 days between transfer award and class. It ebbs and flows probably in a similar manner to the street hire process (since the same team at AA processes both flows and street hires into classes).

Down2Wire
07-04-2018, 10:25 AM
I heard AA is running two(2) new hire classes per month for the foreseeable future. Each new hire class about 40 each...

Buzzlightyear
07-04-2018, 10:59 AM
I heard AA is running two(2) new hire classes per month for the foreseeable future. Each new hire class about 40 each...

This is the latest info.

Rawhide16
07-04-2018, 03:26 PM

Itís a class every other Tuesday. 40 per class was the most recent plan that Iíve seen but the last 3 classes have been well below 40 (mid-20ís IIRC). Iíve heard rumors that there is an updated plan but havenít seen anything official.

Cheddar
07-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Congrats to all - I know itís hard to believe, but the hiring wave hasnít even started yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DOGIII
07-08-2018, 06:38 PM
Iíve heard rumors that there is an updated plan but havenít seen anything official.

Any idea what the main content of the update is? Generally speaking...

OVBIII
07-09-2018, 03:13 AM
Any idea what the main content of the update is? Generally speaking...

The current projections on the company page says they plan to hire 730 this year (around 300 street hires). Hope this helps. No other data (to my knowledge) has been provided to us about the hiring numbers.

Sliceback
07-09-2018, 08:00 AM
The current projections on the company page says they plan to hire 730 this year (around 300 street hires). Hope this helps. No other data (to my knowledge) has been provided to us about the hiring numbers.

And the 300 OTS has been running about 80% prior military, so the civilian OTS is about 60.