Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

AirBear
05-29-2018, 08:16 AM
Hey, I saw an advertisement for CLT Sim Instructors and have some questions if someone knows about this.

I retired from USAirways upon recall from Furlough in 2007 and now I'm out on indefinite medical LOA from NetJets. I do not expect to get my medical back.

I was never able to hold Captain at the "Incredible Shrinking Airline". I was a July 1989 DOH and flew a bunch of different Jets, most my hours are in the 737 (2500) and A320 (1300). I did get a type rating in the 737 but not the A320. I have to say the Airbus was my favorite Jet since I'm a computer nerd :o I got caught in the big furlough in January 2003.

I did hold Captain at Mesa (Jets for Jobs flow down) and I held Captain at NetJets for 10 of my 13 years there.

So the questions are: Do they require a medical for Sim Instructor? I saw under requirements you have to pass a checkride in the Jet you're going to teach in.

And how competitive are these Sim Jobs? Because of my career path I have zero instructor time. I flew C-130's in the USAF but when I upgraded to IP I was in a single aircraft unit with a special ops C-130 that we couldn't use for proficiency training. We had to borrow plain cargo C-130's when they RON'd at our base. So we didn't have any F/O's, everyone was PIC or better so I never got any IP time. Then I was hired at USAir in 1989 straight from the military. I only stayed at Mesa for 2 years then got on with NetJets where I've flown the CE-560 Ultra/Encore, Hawker 400, and Phenom 300.

I have around 15,000 total time, all but 200 is turbine. I live only 10 miles from the Sim Building at CLT so working there would be convenient. But I'm skeptical that I'd be competitive due to not having any Instructor experience.

Thanks

Sliceback
05-29-2018, 11:19 AM
https://jobs.aa.com/job/Dallas-Flight-Simulator-Pilot-Instructor-TX-75201/463598800/

I donít know about medical but itís not listed as requirement. Iíd guess itís not required.

Youíre more than qualified. Good luck.

jcountry
05-29-2018, 12:25 PM
I think they would absolutely love to have you as a sim IP!

You have actual experience as an airline pilot. Every so often, they manage to snag a retired guy, but it's pretty rare. Most sim IPs are mechanics or agents who like to fly private planes (or used to do that.) Nothing wrong with them, but you'd definitely have a broader perspective and I think the department would benefit greatly from having someone like you.

You don't need a medical to do sim stuff. In fact, you don't need a pilot's license at all. Basic and Advanced instructor certificates are easy to get and can be granted to people who have never flown a plane-you just take the CFI written exam. It's total cake.

That's all you'd need, I'm pretty certain.

I'd definitely apply. Maybe even run by there one day and see if someone from the department will chat with you. I think someone with your experience would be a tremendous asset! As a pilot, I'd love to see all sim instructors have actual pilot experience. The perspective is definitely better.

A330FoodCritic
05-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Travel to the interview and any subsequent relocation expenses are the responsibility of the candidate.

What a cheap ass company.

Brother in law just interviewed for a job, they paid for the first class airfare and hotel. Non aviation of course.

AirBear
05-29-2018, 05:26 PM
I'm surprised they don't have mainline retired guys lined up wanting those Sim jobs, especially if they live in base. At NetJets we have quite a few pilots over 65 who aren't ready to retire yet. I'm in my early 60's and after a year off I'm ready to get out of the house. My wife is especially ready for me to get out of the house :p

Anyone have even a ballpark figure on the pay? My LTD from NetJets caps my other earnings at around $35K, then they reduce my LTD benefits by 50%. So anything I make over $35~K I'm working for half pay basically. If they have part time Instructor slots that'd probably work better for me.

I think they would absolutely love to have you as a sim IP!

You have actual experience as an airline pilot. Every so often, they manage to snag a retired guy, but it's pretty rare. Most sim IPs are mechanics or agents who like to fly private planes (or used to do that.) Nothing wrong with them, but you'd definitely have a broader perspective and I think the department would benefit greatly from having someone like you.

You don't need a medical to do sim stuff. In fact, you don't need a pilot's license at all. Basic and Advanced instructor certificates are easy to get and can be granted to people who have never flown a plane-you just take the CFI written exam. It's total cake.

That's all you'd need, I'm pretty certain.

I'd definitely apply. Maybe even run by there one day and see if someone from the department will chat with you. I think someone with your experience would be a tremendous asset! As a pilot, I'd love to see all sim instructors have actual pilot experience. The perspective is definitely better.

jcountry
05-29-2018, 05:49 PM
I'm surprised they don't have mainline retired guys lined up wanting those Sim jobs, especially if they live in base. At NetJets we have quite a few pilots over 65 who aren't ready to retire yet. I'm in my early 60's and after a year off I'm ready to get out of the house. My wife is especially ready for me to get out of the house :p

Anyone have even a ballpark figure on the pay? My LTD from NetJets caps my other earnings at around $35K, then they reduce my LTD benefits by 50%. So anything I make over $35~K I'm working for half pay basically. If they have part time Instructor slots that'd probably work better for me.

I bet they would.

I think Piedmont and PSA have training happening there as well. I bet any of those programs would be more than happy to see you!

Sliceback
05-29-2018, 06:06 PM
AA's simP's, at least in DFW, are former airline pilots or retired military pilots.

I've meet ground school instructors who were mechanics, etc but I don't recall having a simP who didn't have a decent pilot resume.

Allegheny
05-30-2018, 02:15 PM
I will retire soon from AA but I will be passing on the SimP positions. You will need to work 2 years to break 60K. 20 days a month and although it is a union position with a contract the hours suck and the schedule is subject to change. I would have to commute.

If I lived in base I might consider it but I cannot commute to CLT without a more stable schedule.

PRS Guitars
05-30-2018, 02:46 PM
Not to thread drift, but we need to try to go back to FO sim instructors that are paid at what they can hold. Like Delta has and I think United as well, and LUS had.

jcountry
05-30-2018, 02:59 PM
Not to thread drift, but we need to try to go back to FO sim instructors that are paid at what they can hold. Like Delta has and I think United as well, and LUS had.

Definitely. (Although I was under the impression that delta uses non-pilot sim instructors.)

AirBear
05-30-2018, 03:09 PM
I will retire soon from AA but I will be passing on the SimP positions. You will need to work 2 years to break 60K. 20 days a month and although it is a union position with a contract the hours suck and the schedule is subject to change. I would have to commute.

If I lived in base I might consider it but I cannot commute to CLT without a more stable schedule.

I'm maybe a 15 minute drive to the CLT sim building. I'm surprised at the pay, even Flight Safety is offering $70-$80 starting out and they still can't get enough instructors. I probably won't be interested in full time employment because of the 50% hit I take when going over $35K/yr.

Does anyone know if the Sim Instructors also have to teach groundschool? Or do they just work strictly in the Sim with occasional office work?

Even at $50-60K I still find it hard to believe more local retirees aren't all over these openings.

PRS Guitars
05-30-2018, 04:13 PM
I'm maybe a 15 minute drive to the CLT sim building. I'm surprised at the pay, even Flight Safety is offering $70-$80 starting out and they still can't get enough instructors. I probably won't be interested in full time employment because of the 50% hit I take when going over $35K/yr.

Does anyone know if the Sim Instructors also have to teach groundschool? Or do they just work strictly in the Sim with occasional office work?

Even at $50-60K I still find it hard to believe more local retirees aren't all over these openings.

They only do sims. My last CQT Sim-p (DFW training center) was a former SWA Captain. He chose to work at AA over SWA for this very reason. Iím an Airbus guy by the way, he was a great instructor, seemed to really like teaching the Airbus.

AirBear
05-30-2018, 08:10 PM
They only do sims. My last CQT Sim-p (DFW training center) was a former SWA Captain. He chose to work at AA over SWA for this very reason. Iím an Airbus guy by the way, he was a great instructor, seemed to really like teaching the Airbus.

Thanks for all the info. I got typed on the 737 but the A320 was my favorite by far. I call it the "ultimate lazy pilot's jet" because it does so much for you. And I only had one uncommanded go-around in 1300 hours :p

LGA tower to USAir Airbus: USair XXX say reason for the go around?
Captain: "Well, the jet decided to go around so we decided we'd better go with it":D

A330FoodCritic
05-31-2018, 06:54 AM

The FO sim instructors on the 330 were awesome.

OVBIII
05-31-2018, 07:42 AM
The FO sim instructors on the 330 were awesome.

I have often wondered why we donít (as PRS mentioned) have line pilots doing sim jobs. I have a sneaking suspicion the sim guys are undermanned anyway. And we (AA) really need to push people through the pipeline. Do yíall know if there has been any discussion by the big wigs to do something like PRS mentioned?

AirBear
05-31-2018, 07:53 AM
I have often wondered why we donít (as PRS mentioned) have line pilots doing sim jobs. I have a sneaking suspicion the sim guys are undermanned anyway. And we (AA) really need to push people through the pipeline. Do yíall know if there has been any discussion by the big wigs to do something like PRS mentioned?

Flight Safety is having so much trouble getting instructors in CMH that NetJets is having to take IOE Captains and Check Airman in the Citation Latitude and train them to operate the Sim. Those guys make twice or more what FSI pays their instructors. The only time I ever saw NJA Pilots running the Sim was for LOFT's, because they were so company specific. Of course Berkshire Hathaway owns both NetJets and Flight Safety so the money is staying in the same big pot but NetJet's is losing the use of those Training Captains out on the line and we're short staffed already.

CLTPilot190
05-31-2018, 08:03 AM

Your info is a bit off. SimPs can CHOOSE a 20 day schedule, on an annual basis. They can also choose 19, 18, or 17. The base schedule is 17. The hours don't really suck, never more than 6.5 hour days and the schedule is NOT subject to change. You bid a month ahead and if something in your schedule cancels after the bid you get paid for it and can ONLY be reassigned to something in the same sim spot. Anything outside that is on a voluntary basis and it pays OT (1.5 for first two days, 2.0 after that).

Current first year pay is about $62,500 based on a 17 day schedule, with no overtime and all holidays off. Someone bidding 17 days but actually working 20 as you claim would be making right around $80k first year.

Second year pay with no OT or Holidays worked would be about $70k.

Those at top of scale are not having much trouble making north of $150k and some are pushing $200k.

AirBear
05-31-2018, 08:33 AM
17 days a month at 6.5 hours per day max doesn't sound too bad.

Anyone know what Sims they have in CLT? Are the 737-300/400's with steam gauges and FMS still around? And do any of the regionals have Sims at CLT?

With absolutely no instructor time you'd have to pick me up off the floor if I got hired there. Still debating if I want to give it a try or not, it's going to be a lot of learning especially if I get an aircraft type I didn't fly.

CLTPilot190
05-31-2018, 08:35 AM
17 days a month at 6.5 hours per day max doesn't sound too bad.

Anyone know what Sims they have in CLT? Are the 737-300/400's with steam gauges and FMS still around? And do any of the regionals have Sims at CLT?

With absolutely no instructor time you'd have to pick me up off the floor if I got hired there. Still debating if I want to give it a try or not, it's going to be a lot of learning especially if I get an aircraft type I didn't fly.

A320, 330, and E190. Regionals have a bunch of CRJs and at least one E145

Feel free to PM for more info.

CLTPilot190
05-31-2018, 08:44 AM

Sim instructors only teach sims, no GS. Same union and workgroup, but different classifications.

Sliceback
05-31-2018, 10:09 AM
Your info is a bit off. SimPs can CHOOSE a 20 day schedule, on an annual basis. They can also choose 19, 18, or 17. The base schedule is 17. The hours don't really suck, never more than 6.5 hour days and the schedule is NOT subject to change. You bid a month ahead and if something in your schedule cancels after the bid you get paid for it and can ONLY be reassigned to something in the same sim spot. Anything outside that is on a voluntary basis and it pays OT (1.5 for first two days, 2.0 after that).

Current first year pay is about $62,500 based on a 17 day schedule, with no overtime and all holidays off. Someone bidding 17 days but actually working 20 as you claim would be making right around $80k first year.

Second year pay with no OT or Holidays worked would be about $70k.

Those at top of scale are not having much trouble making north of $150k and some are pushing $200k.

Sims run 18/7/365 or 19/7/365 in DFW. Does CLT have holidays off? Or are holidays voluntary at 1.5x or 2x pay?

GS is banker hours. Roughly 0530-1900. Frequently done by 1600-1800. Sims are 0530-0030. That's a reason an ATP GS instructor gave for not switching to SimP - easier hours.

CLTPilot190
05-31-2018, 10:16 AM
Sims run 18/7/365 or 19/7/365 in DFW. Does CLT have holidays off? Or are holidays voluntary at 1.5x or 2x pay?

GS is banker hours. Roughly 0530-1900. Frequently done by 1600-1800. Sims are 0530-0030. That's a reason an ATP GS instructor gave for not switching to SimP - easier hours.

Sims run four periods, basically 730-1130, 1145-1545, 1600-2000, 2015-0015. Briefing time is 2 hours before sim, debrief is 15ish mins, so you work roughly 6.5 hours starting at either 0530, 0945, 1400, or 1815. Some training events such as day one of recurrent is easy to finish in 3 hours if the crew don't have any issues, so those days tend to be a bit shorter. SimPs also do most of the Seat Filling and those days tend to run a bit shorter.

CLT is open 365 days a year, so yes we work holidays. If you get the day off you get paid for it, if you work you get an additional 1.5x your daily rate.

I have the luxury of seniority so the vast majority of my days start at 0945 or 1400.

My personal view is it's a good gig if you love to teach, which I do. Obviously being top of the pay scale is nice too, but the rumors that flew around when we started SimPs in CLT of 20 days a month with no control over your schedule and $50k/year just aren't true.

captjns
05-31-2018, 02:06 PM
Does the 6.5 hours account for gathering and completion of paperwork for pre and post brief?

CLTPilot190
06-01-2018, 06:17 AM
Does the 6.5 hours account for gathering and completion of paperwork for pre and post brief?

The paperwork is pretty minimal. Most guys like to have the briefing room ready 15 mins before scheduled start time, and it's pretty common to walk out and pass the students waiting on the hotel van. It's not accounted for in the 6.5 hours but it's not a big deal.

AirBear
06-03-2018, 01:14 PM
Well I submitted the app online today (Sunday) for the Sim Instructor Job. I guess we'll see how desperate they are ;)

Sliceback
06-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Good luck!

Review Ďsetí vs Ďcheckedí vs Ďset and checked.í ;-))

jonnyjetprop
06-03-2018, 05:33 PM
FWIW, PSA instructors do not require a medical. Piedmontís instructors do at the moment.

AirBear
06-03-2018, 05:55 PM
FWIW, PSA instructors do not require a medical. Piedmontís instructors do at the moment.

Good to know if AA doesn't work out. What regionals have Sims at the CLT Training Center?

AirBear
06-03-2018, 07:50 PM
Good to know if AA doesn't work out. What regionals have Sims at the CLT Training Center?

Answered my own question I think. If you go to PSA's website and search jobs in CLT they have Sim Instructor listed. But they're asking for 121 Instructor experience and prefer check airman time:

QUALIFICATIONS:
CL-65 Type Rated
Line experience on the CRJ 200/700/900
Good communication skills
121 instructor experience
Previous 121 check airmen recommended

Piedmont's only CLT opening is for a Chief Pilot.

And here's a link to a FAA spreadsheet showing all Certified Sims. It has 22 showing at the CLT Training Center:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.faa.gov%2Fabout%2Fini tiatives%2Fnsp%2Fdata_lists%2Fmedia%2FActive_FSTD. xlsx

bullwinklejmoos
06-13-2018, 09:36 AM
LAA has had SimPs for a while so this is nothing new. Keep in mind that SimPs only do Sims 1-4, and RTS for recurrent, as well as seat fill. The check airmen do all the rest. And yes, Delta does have non-seniority people doing sims but once again, they donít do any checking events.

AirBear
06-13-2018, 10:56 AM
LAA has had SimPs for a while so this is nothing new. Keep in mind that SimPs only do Sims 1-4, and RTS for recurrent, as well as seat fill. The check airmen do all the rest. And yes, Delta does have non-seniority people doing sims but once again, they donít do any checking events.

I wondered about that. When I was last at the CLT Training Center in 2002 it seemed like we were using seniority list pilots although they had dedicated ground school instructors. But I may be thinking of checkrides, not normal Sim training.

Haven't heard anything at all from AA yet but it's only been 10 days. I have no idea how long it takes or if I'll even get a TBNT letter or email if they're not interested.

Also did some checking on my loss of medical benefits. Ouch! I'll lose almost 1/3 of my potential SimP pay because of reduction in LOM pay. If I get an interview the lady at Harvey Watt said she'd verify the formula because right now it seems very punitive. I can make up to $40K with no reduction, but making $62.5K 1st year SimP pay will only net me $44K? That's something like a 75% reduction in the amount over $40K. I even had the Head of the Union Benefits Committee run the numbers for me. I'm hoping it's only the amount over $40K they look at, that would be more reasonable but it's not the way the formula is worded.

I'd still take the job because I think I'd enjoy doing it but I sure wouldn't take something I didn't enjoy if that formula is correct.

CLTPilot190
06-13-2018, 01:42 PM
Sims 1-5 not 1-4.

AirBear
07-04-2018, 06:24 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, especially CLTPilot190. I never even got an acknowledgement that I had applied. The other day I checked on the job opening and it said it'd been filled. I knew it was a long shot with no CFI time.

Next up are some dispatcher openings here in CLT with a company that does that for corporate jets. With my experience I can get a dispatcher rating with a 1 week course. But I'm still debating whether I want to do that or not. Teaching in the Sim would have been more fun :)

CLTPilot190
07-10-2018, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, especially CLTPilot190. I never even got an acknowledgement that I had applied. The other day I checked on the job opening and it said it'd been filled. I knew it was a long shot with no CFI time.

Next up are some dispatcher openings here in CLT with a company that does that for corporate jets. With my experience I can get a dispatcher rating with a 1 week course. But I'm still debating whether I want to do that or not. Teaching in the Sim would have been more fun :)

Don't give up yet. We are still going to be adding instructors through the year I think. I know on the E190 we are still short one.

AirBear
07-10-2018, 08:47 PM
Don't give up yet. We are still going to be adding instructors through the year I think. I know on the E190 we are still short one.

Thanks, I'm not in any hurry. Still some projects around the house to work on. I'd have to pay over $1000 for the dispatcher course plus travel expenses and I'm not 100% I want to do that job. I think the last time I filed a flight plan was in T-38's back in 1982 LOL.

full of luv
07-11-2018, 07:39 AM

At my company (not AA) the dispatchers generally make more than the non-SLI sim instructors and both are home every night (or day).

AirBear
07-25-2018, 10:52 AM
Well I'd given up since I saw the Sim job in CLT showed as filled. But this morning I got an email interview offer, and just a few minutes ago a call went straight to voicemail wanting to know if I could interview July 31st in DFW (I'm in CLT). They'll space positive me out there but I think I'd have to buy the hotel (not sure).

The question as it was on my first post, would I be wasting my time? I just don't know if I'd be competitive with no CFI or IP time at all. Lots of real world experience, I flew a variety of jets at USAirways before furlough and flew C-130's in the USAF before that.

The email mentioned a sim validation and giving a 20 min presentation on some type of flying procedure. I haven't flown since April 2017, and haven't flown a full size airliner since my furlough in 2003. I did CRJ's at Mesa then spent 2005-2017 flying light cabin private jets for NetJets. Not sure what I'd do for the presentation, I guess I could do something like the importance of VDP's on NP approaches although technology will soon make those obsolete. I've never done a presentation on a flying procedure so very unsure about that. However I did do presentations when conducting safety meetings with the USAF, I was the Group Safety Officer and Aircraft Accident Investigator.

I did 9 initial ground schools in 13 years at USAirways plus 2 requals and then another 4 IGS with Mesa and NetJets. So I've got 100's of hours in Sims. Flew the DC-9, B737-200/300/400, B727 FE and FO, A320 and briefly the Fokker 28. Would love to teach on the A320, that was my all time favorite jet (I'm a computer geek!). I still remember a lot about it despite it being 15+ years since I last flew it.

Basically just thinking out loud here guys, would appreciate any thoughts about this. I don't know how competitive the hiring situation is for Sim IP's. I know FSI is having a hard time finding and keeping instructors but I don't know how it is with a major airline.

Thanks

AirBear

Al Czervik
07-25-2018, 05:02 PM
Well I'd given up since I saw the Sim job in CLT showed as filled. But this morning I got an email interview offer, and just a few minutes ago a call went straight to voicemail wanting to know if I could interview July 31st in DFW (I'm in CLT). They'll space positive me out there but I think I'd have to buy the hotel (not sure).

The question as it was on my first post, would I be wasting my time? I just don't know if I'd be competitive with no CFI or IP time at all. Lots of real world experience, I flew a variety of jets at USAirways before furlough and flew C-130's in the USAF before that.

The email mentioned a sim validation and giving a 20 min presentation on some type of flying procedure. I haven't flown since April 2017, and haven't flown a full size airliner since my furlough in 2003. I did CRJ's at Mesa then spent 2005-2017 flying light cabin private jets for NetJets. Not sure what I'd do for the presentation, I guess I could do something like the importance of VDP's on NP approaches although technology will soon make those obsolete. I've never done a presentation on a flying procedure so very unsure about that. However I did do presentations when conducting safety meetings with the USAF, I was the Group Safety Officer and Aircraft Accident Investigator.

I did 9 initial ground schools in 13 years at USAirways plus 2 requals and then another 4 IGS with Mesa and NetJets. So I've got 100's of hours in Sims. Flew the DC-9, B737-200/300/400, B727 FE and FO, A320 and briefly the Fokker 28. Would love to teach on the A320, that was my all time favorite jet (I'm a computer geek!). I still remember a lot about it despite it being 15+ years since I last flew it.

Basically just thinking out loud here guys, would appreciate any thoughts about this. I don't know how competitive the hiring situation is for Sim IP's. I know FSI is having a hard time finding and keeping instructors but I don't know how it is with a major airline.

Thanks

AirBear

Donít over think it. We need instructors the school house is packed.

PRS Guitars
07-25-2018, 07:18 PM
Airbear,

You sound qualified to me. For the cost of a hotel in DFW, seems worth a shot.

Good Luck!

cactusmike
07-25-2018, 08:58 PM
Airbear,

You sound qualified to me. For the cost of a hotel in DFW, seems worth a shot.

Good Luck!

Exactly. And hotels are relatively cheap at the masterbase. Be glad they donít want to interview you in JFK or LAX.

Be positive, remember the best instructors you had and tell them how you would emulate that.

I did a transition course a few months ago, my first at GSW, and I was very happy with the experience. Great instructors, Sim Ps and check airmen. The schoolhouse wants to help the pilots succeed. Show that you can be part of that and you should do well.

CLT training center is a nice place. I did a 757 requalification there 4 years ago and also had a great experience there.

A330FoodCritic
07-26-2018, 05:30 AM

Don't know about the Air Force but in the Navy you were always instructing.

AirBear
07-26-2018, 07:46 AM
Don't know about the Air Force but in the Navy you were always instructing.

My last tour in the USAF was a special ops unit with just 1 custom equipped C-130. We only had 5 line pilots plus Ops Officer and Squadron CO who both few part time. All the line pilots were at least PIC qualified, and after I upgraded to IP three of the five of us were IP qualified. Got very little proficiency flying since they'd shoot us if we damaged the one-of-a-kind mission plane doing that.

Now during my 2 years at Mesa flying the CRJ-200 I did feel like a CFI when flying with the Flight Academy graduates. 300-500 hour SIC's.
Great pilots to take a Sim checkride with but a bit clueless about real world flying.

I tried calling the Talent Department back but got voicemail so I responded to their email asking a few questions. Waiting to hear back from them. I'm retired USAirways/AA and drawing a pension from the PBGC so I need to make sure that's not a problem, and also I'm technically still employed by NetJets for another 22 months and getting Loss of Medical pay and full benefits. So if those 2 things are OK I'll go for the interview if offered. Worst case I get to play with a Sim for a few minutes :D

AirBear
07-27-2018, 02:05 PM
Well they want me out there this Tuesday for an interview so I signed up for it. I opted to fly up Monday night so I'm not a sleep deprived zombie for the interview (I rarely wake up before 9am since I went out on medical). Doing some research online so I can put together a briefing on non-precision approaches and VDP's. I'm still skeptical they'll hire someone with no CFI/IP time but I'll give it my best shot.

Frip
07-27-2018, 02:56 PM
Good luck...

Sincerely.

When I was doing the Sim Thing we were required to hold a valid and current First Class medical cert.

Things change, ymmv, etc.

AirBear
07-27-2018, 03:27 PM
Good luck...

Sincerely.

When I was doing the Sim Thing we were required to hold a valid and current First Class medical cert.

Things change, ymmv, etc.

Thanks. I made it clear on my resume and in my emails the past 2 days that I don't have a medical. If they require one it's going to be a very short interview LOL.

Frip
07-27-2018, 04:51 PM
Well that's encouraging...
We were checking also, and that may be the critical difference.

Good Luck

HalinTexas
07-28-2018, 08:43 AM
SWA is also hiring instructors in DAL.

I was a SimP at AA for a year on the B737. I was bored, but I can't say I wasn't warned. I left AA last year for SWA. No regrets. Instant pay raise over AA 2nd year. Six figures now, just barely. More stuff to do than RTSs and Sim 1-5. Same union.

AA was a decent job, I was well treated, but fell short in many other ways.

AirBear
07-28-2018, 09:02 AM
SWA is also hiring instructors in DAL.

I was a SimP at AA for a year on the B737. I was bored, but I can't say I wasn't warned. I left AA last year for SWA. No regrets. Instant pay raise over AA 2nd year. Six figures now, just barely. More stuff to do than RTSs and Sim 1-5. Same union.

AA was a decent job, I was well treated, but fell short in many other ways.

Thanks. AA is pretty much the only game in town (CLT) for SimP. Not going to move or commute, been in the same house for 28 years now.

I think there's some Turboprop Sims out in Concord but that's nearly an hour's drive away (2X during rush hour) vs. 15-20 minutes for the AA Training Center in CLT. I'm just 9.6 miles from it.

I like the idea of just showing up and doing only the Sim stuff. Not interested in teaching ground school. I'm already going to get docked quite a bit of my Loss of Medical paycheck with what AA pays, anything over about 40K/yr I lose roughly half of that from my benefit. So I'm not doing it for the pay, more for something to do where I can use my experience and most importantly something I can enjoy doing.

flyinawa
07-28-2018, 05:29 PM
I did contract sim instruction on the side in PHX and loved it until we got boned by the FLT Ops department (long story not worth getting into). Does anyone do contract instruction in the CLT sims? Itís usually done from 10p-2am which sucks but the students are mostly highly motivated and fun to work with. Either way, best of luck to you.

CLTPilot190
07-30-2018, 11:12 AM
I did contract sim instruction on the side in PHX and loved it until we got boned by the FLT Ops department (long story not worth getting into). Does anyone do contract instruction in the CLT sims? Itís usually done from 10p-2am which sucks but the students are mostly highly motivated and fun to work with. Either way, best of luck to you.

Contract work in CLT is pretty rare and use of contract instructors just doesn't happen as far as I know.

AirBear
07-31-2018, 02:38 PM
Just got home from DFW. There were supposed to be 2 of us being interviewed today but one had to reschedule so it was just me. Fairly low key, a few questions I wasn't totally prepared for. The 20 minute presentation turned into 3 minutes because they wanted to move up the Sim time from the afternoon to the morning. I had obsessed on that damn thing all weekend but didn't mind skipping it.

They put me in an A320 Sim, which would have been my 1st choice anyway so I was happy with that. I have 1300hrs and 2 years (2000-2002) on that jet. It was a bit strange flying from the left seat since all my time was right seat but I got used to it quickly. We did a takeoff and once around the pattern at DFW. A few small PIO's at first but I got those damped down quickly. I think I did pretty well on that short ride, no major altitude or heading deviations. Nailed the ILS (helped that it was VFR LOL). When it was time to go to managed speed the evaluater forgot to arm descent mode and the speed bug climbed to 250. I was like, "been there, done that":p Landing was a **bit** firm, like drop the O2 masks firm, but we didn't crash which I thought was good since I haven't flown anything except 6-7 pax Corporate Jets since 2005.

I hadn't seen the inside of a cockpit in 15 months and the short A320 Sim ride was fun, that was worth the trip even if I don't get hired :)

Oh yea, one very negative thing I found out is my USAirways Pension from the PBGC will be suspended if I'm employed by AA. I took it at age 50 so it's not that much. My best friend who recently retired from AA swears he's flown with former US Airways pilots who were drawing their PBGC pension and flying for AA. I doubt the managers today were wrong, but may start a new thread just to ask that question.

OVBIII
07-31-2018, 02:45 PM
Glad you knocked it out. Did they say when they will get back to you? Hoping for the best for ya!

AirBear
07-31-2018, 02:51 PM
Glad you knocked it out. Did they say when they will get back to you? Hoping for the best for ya!

No, I didn't ask. It was almost 2 months from the App to the Interview offer and hadn't heard a peep from AA in the meantime. I'm guessing the applicant who had to reschedule will be interviewed before they decide, assuming he wanted the CLT position.

Al Czervik
07-31-2018, 05:41 PM
No, I didn't ask. It was almost 2 months from the App to the Interview offer and hadn't heard a peep from AA in the meantime. I'm guessing the applicant who had to reschedule will be interviewed before they decide, assuming he wanted the CLT position.

Congrats! Keep us posted.

R57 relay
07-31-2018, 06:14 PM
Just got home from DFW. There were supposed to be 2 of us being interviewed today but one had to reschedule so it was just me. Fairly low key, a few questions I wasn't totally prepared for. The 20 minute presentation turned into 3 minutes because they wanted to move up the Sim time from the afternoon to the morning. I had obsessed on that damn thing all weekend but didn't mind skipping it.

They put me in an A320 Sim, which would have been my 1st choice anyway so I was happy with that. I have 1300hrs and 2 years (2000-2002) on that jet. It was a bit strange flying from the left seat since all my time was right seat but I got used to it quickly. We did a takeoff and once around the pattern at DFW. A few small PIO's at first but I got those damped down quickly. I think I did pretty well on that short ride, no major altitude or heading deviations. Nailed the ILS (helped that it was VFR LOL). When it was time to go to managed speed the evaluater forgot to arm descent mode and the speed bug climbed to 250. I was like, "been there, done that":p Landing was a **bit** firm, like drop the O2 masks firm, but we didn't crash which I thought was good since I haven't flown anything except 6-7 pax Corporate Jets since 2005.

I hadn't seen the inside of a cockpit in 15 months and the short A320 Sim ride was fun, that was worth the trip even if I don't get hired :)

Oh yea, one very negative thing I found out is my USAirways Pension from the PBGC will be suspended if I'm employed by AA. I took it at age 50 so it's not that much. My best friend who recently retired from AA swears he's flown with former US Airways pilots who were drawing their PBGC pension and flying for AA. I doubt the managers today were wrong, but may start a new thread just to ask that question.

Good luck on the job, hope to see you in the training center.

We definitely have guys drawing their PBGC and flying. Might be an age thing, over 60 maybe?

Route66, you know? Youíre over 60, right? :D

AirBear
07-31-2018, 06:22 PM
Good luck on the job, hope to see you in the training center.

We definitely have guys drawing their PBGC and flying. Might be an age thing, over 60 maybe?

Route66, you know? Youíre over 60, right? :D

I'm 61 and would sure like to find out. Maybe my friend was right but there's some provision triggered by age. I took the PBGC pension at age 50 in 2007 when I was recalled to USAirways and opted to retire.

Frip
07-31-2018, 06:58 PM
I have been drawing my terminated TWA A-Plan from the PBGC since I turned fifty, am not 60 yet, and they haven't asked for it back, yet.

Lots of us have.

Fwiw and all that

AirBear
08-01-2018, 01:04 PM
I have been drawing my terminated TWA A-Plan from the PBGC since I turned fifty, am not 60 yet, and they haven't asked for it back, yet.

Lots of us have.

Fwiw and all that

Think I'll start a new thread and see what I can find out. On one hand it kind of makes sense you can't draw retirement if you come back to work, but it's not American's money, it's what the previous airline had left over (if any). I may do some research online first before I post a new thread thou.

Edit: Called the PBGC and talked to a lady who seemed to know her business. She researched it to make sure, but said the AA Management types were correct, my PBGC pension will be put on hold if I work for AA as a direct employee. She didn't know about TWA, could be different rules.

Edit#2: Forgot, I dug into the NetJets Loss of Medical Plan and got some bizarre numbers. You're allowed to make 20% of your base pay at the time you went out on medical without any deduction. I was doing just over $200K as a 14 Year Captain at NetJets. So roughly $40K with no penalty. SimP at AA pays in the mid-60's first year.

But from 20% to 80% there's a formula that if we read it correctly is VERY punitive. The SimP job pays well over the 20% figure, and I will lose 86% of what I make over 20%. That's bizarre and certainly removes any incentive to work full time vs. part time. I've got a Union Officer checking it out with Harvey Watt. They manage the NetJets LOM plan. He concurs with my math and agrees it's crazy. We're thinking it might just be the amount in excess of $40K.

If the figures are correct I'd lose almost $20K/yr from my LOM benefit, and my PBGC retirement money. I could just about sell computers at BestBuy and make the same money :mad:

AirBear
08-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Forgot to mention the PBGC lady said at age 65 I could draw my pension again even if still working at AA.

Think I'll start a new thread and see what I can find out. On one hand it kind of makes sense you can't draw retirement if you come back to work, but it's not American's money, it's what the previous airline had left over (if any). I may do some research online first before I post a new thread thou.

Edit: Called the PBGC and talked to a lady who seemed to know her business. She researched it to make sure, but said the AA Management types were correct, my PBGC pension will be put on hold if I work for AA as a direct employee. She didn't know about TWA, could be different rules.

Edit#2: Forgot, I dug into the NetJets Loss of Medical Plan and got some bizarre numbers. You're allowed to make 20% of your base pay at the time you went out on medical without any deduction. I was doing just over $200K as a 14 Year Captain at NetJets. So roughly $40K with no penalty. SimP at AA pays in the mid-60's first year.

But from 20% to 80% there's a formula that if we read it correctly is VERY punitive. The SimP job pays well over the 20% figure, and I will lose 86% of what I make over 20%. That's bizarre and certainly removes any incentive to work full time vs. part time. I've got a Union Officer checking it out with Harvey Watt. They manage the NetJets LOM plan. He concurs with my math and agrees it's crazy. We're thinking it might just be the amount in excess of $40K.

If the figures are correct I'd lose almost $20K/yr from my LOM benefit, and my PBGC retirement money. I could just about sell computers at BestBuy and make the same money :mad:

Name User
08-01-2018, 07:46 PM
Is there a way to negotiate with AA to give you additional money in benefits and take a lower salary?

AirBear
08-01-2018, 08:21 PM
Is there a way to negotiate with AA to give you additional money in benefits and take a lower salary?

It's a Union job with a contract so no they can't.

I just heard from a retired AA Pilot who was an officer with USAPA, the union that took over from ALPA. He worked extensively with the PBGC for 6 years over pension issues. Here's what he said:

Hundreds of pilots opted to take the PBGC annuity at 60 and/or prior to 65 and continue in the employ of US Airways and then AA, I being one.

It's all moot unless I get a job offer. My bigger problem is Harvey Watt taking so freaking much of my salary over $41K. I sure hope there's a mistake in those calculations.

AirBear
08-04-2018, 01:49 PM
Quicker than I expected I got the "thanks but no thanks" email from AA today. I knew it was a long shot and was shocked to even get the interview. I did enjoy flying the A320 Sim, glad it was that one.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1