Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : DL Jumpseat out of CDG Advice

Minty
06-04-2018, 11:14 AM
Any tips or suggestions on how early to get to the ticket counter, procedures, timing etc? Are the Air France or Delta agents familiar with US last minute jumpseat listings? Will be traveling with significant other who will be on ZED. Will be to and from BOS.

Friday the eighth shows 26 open seats and one standby. Do those numbers tend to hold up a few days in advance?

rickair7777
06-04-2018, 11:29 AM
MOD INPUT: Please do not discuss any procedures related to cockpit access or any SSI. OK to discuss nonrev procedures.

Minty
06-04-2018, 11:41 AM
The word jumpseat does not mean cockpit security per se. I'm talking about exercising jumpseat privileges (includes cabin seat). Any airline pilot would know that you cannot sit in the cockpit of another airline internationally, so this isn't a discussion about the flight deck jeopardizing security. I am clearly looking for procedural advice during the listing / ticket counter / gate arrival process for DL at CDG, including transportation lead time from downtown Paris.

sailingfun
06-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Any tips or suggestions on how early to get to the ticket counter, procedures, timing etc? Are the Air France or Delta agents familiar with US last minute jumpseat listings? Will be traveling with significant other who will be on ZED. Will be to and from BOS.

Friday the eighth shows 26 open seats and one standby. Do those numbers tend to hold up a few days in advance?

You canít last minute jumpseat international. You must be listed at least 74 minutes prior. I suggest you make the listing before leaving the US.

rickair7777
06-04-2018, 01:01 PM
The word jumpseat does not mean cockpit security per se. I'm talking about exercising jumpseat privileges (includes cabin seat). Any airline pilot would know that you cannot sit in the cockpit of another airline internationally, so this isn't a discussion about the flight deck jeopardizing security. I am clearly looking for procedural advice during the listing / ticket counter / gate arrival process for DL at CDG, including transportation lead time from downtown Paris.

That was clear from your post, or it would have been deleted. The caution was for others, because it's a recurring problem here.

prex8390
06-04-2018, 03:17 PM
If it fills up last second try CVG. That flight day after day goes out wide open

Minty
06-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Ok thanks, yeah I figured I'd list before leaving, I just mean the counter agents possessing JS privileges into the cabin out in CDG. Security times? What about payload optimizing? 25 open seats enough if they do that?

Minty
06-04-2018, 03:41 PM
That was clear from your post, or it would have been deleted. The caution was for others, because it's a recurring problem here.
Gotcha ok makes sense

Kuma
06-04-2018, 04:41 PM
Also, be aware that you need to pay some taxes and fees when jumpseating back into the US. Going to SEA-CDG was just showing up to the counter and they made a listing for me (no charges leaving USA).

Returning, you have to pay some the fees at a special counter (not the check-in counter). Then they give you a receipt and you go to the normal check in counter to get documents to get you through security.

I think it was called the "Transfer Desk". But, not sure.

Minty
06-04-2018, 05:35 PM
Yeah I figured that was all done at the counter but thanks I'll look for transfer counter first. My wife's are all included in ZED so I know I have to do it when I show up.

MN8V8R
06-04-2018, 06:00 PM
This was several years ago but I was accommodated on Delta out of PRG easily. They were able to take credit card for taxes. I showed up about 2.5 hrs before departure and there were no problems.

sailingfun
06-05-2018, 05:19 AM
Ok thanks, yeah I figured I'd list before leaving, I just mean the counter agents possessing JS privileges into the cabin out in CDG. Security times? What about payload optimizing? 25 open seats enough if they do that?

I have never had a payload issue from Paris to the Eastern US unless itís a 757. 767 or A330 you will be fine. There used to be a Non rev desk run by AF where you could check in. Not sure if itís still in operation.

Minty
06-05-2018, 06:37 AM
Ok thanks, yeah it's a DL 763 and their non rev site talks about weight restrictions to certain cities out of CDG. How easy is it to get from airline to airline if doesn't work out, for instance, running over to United and jumping on EWR. I understand I would have to have a listing there as well.

Also, is 3hrs prior arrival to airport enough?

MN8V8R
06-05-2018, 10:06 AM
For UAL the ticket agents should be able to list you easily at the counter.

TCASTESTOK
06-07-2018, 02:50 PM
Ok thanks, yeah it's a DL 763 and their non rev site talks about weight restrictions to certain cities out of CDG. How easy is it to get from airline to airline if doesn't work out, for instance, running over to United and jumping on EWR. I understand I would have to have a listing there as well.

Also, is 3hrs prior arrival to airport enough?
Why would they weight restrict on a 763 out of CDG? Does the fuel eat up that much weight on those routes?

rickair7777
06-07-2018, 09:50 PM
Why would they weight restrict on a 763 out of CDG? Does the fuel eat up that much weight on those routes?

Inbound to the US it's often for cargo. Pays better than hauling nonrevs (and sometimes Y-fares).

Minty
06-07-2018, 11:01 PM
The taxes get paid before you go to the delta counter. Gotta go to Delta help desk to the right of check-in counter 8. Easily done, then take receipt to regular counter for listing by Delta counter 10.

Passport control, then security.

sailingfun
06-08-2018, 06:56 AM

Which route? We could be flying the 767 from CDG to BOS or CDG to LAX ect.. Itís very rare to have a restriction on any of the routes but happens infrequently with very high cargo weights.

freezingflyboy
06-11-2018, 07:40 AM
Which route? We could be flying the 767 from CDG to BOS or CDG to LAX ect.. Itís very rare to have a restriction on any of the routes but happens infrequently with very high cargo weights.

I thought I would provide some data points to help in decision making...

Only time I've ever had a weight restriction on a 763 was flying SLC-CDG with above average summer temps. No non-revs and had to bump about 2000lbs of cargo. If it had just been a few degrees cooler then I don't think there would have been any restrictions. I've never had a weight restriction LEAVING CDG even doing CDG-SEA with a flight time of 10:30. I can't imagine having any issues with weight restrictions out of CDG to anywhere on the east coast regardless of time of year.

ridinhigh
06-11-2018, 10:57 AM
I'm guessing ZEDs work about the same minus the listing and paying at airport? Going to try DL or AF with the whole Family.
Never been to Paris.

freezingflyboy
06-11-2018, 02:31 PM
I'm guessing ZEDs work about the same minus the listing and paying at airport? Going to try DL or AF with the whole Family.
Never been to Paris.

As far as I know, ZED basically works the same as a regular ticket (assuming there are no visa issues). Your taxes and fees are part of the price you paid for your ZED. You'll check in using the record locator you got booking your ZED ticket and will (most likely) be issued a boarding pass without a seat assignment at the counter to clear border checks and security. Once at the gate, you will be given a seat assignment. Often the standby seat assignments will come very very late so don't get nervous and start pestering the agents. Only once was I ever given a seat assignment at the ticket counter with a ZED ticket and it was on a wide open Qantas flight.

MN8V8R
06-12-2018, 10:25 AM
With a Delta ZED, if you put your record locator in the Delta APP, it will show your position on the standby list (among all the other standbys checked in) and when you get a seat assignment.

ridinhigh
06-13-2018, 09:19 AM
Thanks for that info!

Didn't know that about the app, nice improvement.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1