Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : New Uniform Help

Smoke Toliet
06-05-2018, 05:46 AM
Trying to do the online ordering but I only see a captain jacket available to order...I need a FO jacket. And I don't see my hat size available. Anyone else run into this problem? Guess I'll just have to call M&H.

Battlinbear21
06-05-2018, 06:02 AM
Thatís exactly what you need to do. Good news itís not required right now. Also, if anyone needs new shirts (the AA ones) please DM Iíll ship you 6 still in plastic. Neck is 17.5 slim fit. Iíve lost about 30 lbs since dec so Iíd look like a bum. Does anyone care if we wear different brands? Iím sure I could Send them back. But, rather just give them to a fellow pilot if they need/want them.

PRS Guitars
06-05-2018, 07:24 AM
Thatís exactly what you need to do. Good news itís not required right now. Also, if anyone needs new shirts (the AA ones) please DM Iíll ship you 6 still in plastic. Neck is 17.5 slim fit. Iíve lost about 30 lbs since dec so Iíd look like a bum. Does anyone care if we wear different brands? Iím sure I could Send them back. But, rather just give them to a fellow pilot if they need/want them.

No one will know if you wear a different brand. With all of the changes, we are going to be a pretty hodgepodge group for awhile. The M&H shirts are basic pilot shirts. The cut is terrible, Iím going to keep wearing the old shirt until I decide to spring for some more A Cut Above shirts.

EMBFlyer
06-05-2018, 07:45 AM
Trying to do the online ordering but I only see a captain jacket available to order...I need a FO jacket. And I don't see my hat size available. Anyone else run into this problem? Guess I'll just have to call M&H.

You select Captain or FO at checkout. Add all the items to the cart and then it'll give you the option to select your status at the end.

And for those who just say they'll wear the TwinHill, please stop. Seriously, please stop. You're hurting others. You may not have a reaction to it, but others do.

Al Czervik
06-05-2018, 07:52 AM
No one will know if you wear a different brand. With all of the changes, we are going to be a pretty hodgepodge group for awhile. The M&H shirts are basic pilot shirts. The cut is terrible, Iím going to keep wearing the old shirt until I decide to spring for some more A Cut Above shirts.

What size shirts?

Name User
06-05-2018, 07:59 AM
You select Captain or FO at checkout. Add all the items to the cart and then it'll give you the option to select your status at the end.

And for those who just say they'll wear the TwinHill, please stop. Seriously, please stop. You're hurting others. You may not have a reaction to it, but others do.

The company has bent over backwards to appease these claims. They switched suppliers SEVERAL times including using Aramark, a country wide producer of uniforms with millions of wearers.

I'm sorry but at this point people are just piling on the bandwagon, especially the FA group, but many of the CnR crowd as well. "Yeah I have sinus issues it must be the clothes".

The entire thing has gotten completely out of control. There are people with genuine issues but they will have issues with any clothing produced.

I ran into an FA that used to be a buyer for a uniform CO back twenty years ago, they said they saw the same reactions in a small % of people as well. This stuff hasn't changed and nothing from M&H is going to be different.

News flash M&H are all produced overseas as well. We traded a well made, high quality uniform (TH) for off the rack Kmart specials. The M&H stuff is so cheap my blazer button fell off my second DAY on OE. No one at US wore their pants, they were absolute crap and waaaay overpriced.

In a year or two no one will be wearing their pants, it'll all be off th rack stuff from somewhere like Kohl's, who charges $30 for an "almost perfect match" vs $75 for M&H.

And before you say this is different, I've worn M&H since 2005, same crappy, overpriced stuff.

TH was vastly superior yet the squeaky minority wins another one.

Name User
06-05-2018, 08:03 AM
For those looking for shirts, Crew Outfitters in DFW is clearing out all their old stock $33 shirts for $9.99. I bought a bunch of tailored/fitted ones with eyelets. The M&H shirts are OK in smaller sizes (I wear size 15) but still really boxy. I kept mine in their plastic and hope to swap them out when they offer a fitted version.

Chuckie
06-05-2018, 08:17 AM

PM Sent! :)

PRS Guitars
06-05-2018, 08:49 AM

Iíll stop wearing TH when the company sends me an M&H uniform that fits. Literally not one thing fits, which is to be expected when they donít do a fitting. Iíll send it all back, and in six months get a new set that may or may not fit...then rinse and repeat.

EMBFlyer
06-05-2018, 09:27 AM
The company has bent over backwards to appease these claims. They switched suppliers SEVERAL times including using Aramark, a country wide producer of uniforms with millions of wearers.

I'm sorry but at this point people are just piling on the bandwagon, especially the FA group, but many of the CnR crowd as well. "Yeah I have sinus issues it must be the clothes".

The entire thing has gotten completely out of control. There are people with genuine issues but they will have issues with any clothing produced.

I ran into an FA that used to be a buyer for a uniform CO back twenty years ago, they said they saw the same reactions in a small % of people as well. This stuff hasn't changed and nothing from M&H is going to be different.

News flash M&H are all produced overseas as well. We traded a well made, high quality uniform (TH) for off the rack Kmart specials. The M&H stuff is so cheap my blazer button fell off my second DAY on OE. No one at US wore their pants, they were absolute crap and waaaay overpriced.

In a year or two no one will be wearing their pants, it'll all be off th rack stuff from somewhere like Kohl's, who charges $30 for an "almost perfect match" vs $75 for M&H.

And before you say this is different, I've worn M&H since 2005, same crappy, overpriced stuff.

TH was vastly superior yet the squeaky minority wins another one.

Feel better?

Say what you will. You can call me an f'ing liar (just do it to my face, first). I don't care what you believe or that I'm being a cry baby. I had a genuine reaction to the TwinHill uniform.

I was itchy, broke out in red rashes and had upper respiratory issues. They all seemed to disappear (and rather quickly in the case of the upper respiratory stuff) when I wasn't around the uniform. Now, when I fly with guys in the TH stuff, I get stuffy in the cockpit and it clears out when I'm not around it.

Bravo to you for not reacting. I'm proud. I really am. In fact, you should get a Chairman's Award for that. I reacted and I don't need some a-hole telling me it's all in my head. I'm not a crazy flight attendant or some rambling fool on C&R. It was real and it happened. I have not had any reactions with the M&H stuff.

I'm glad you like your yoga pants.

Name User
06-05-2018, 09:39 AM
All antidotal without any sort of control. In fact previous lawsuits were dismissed after mounds of evidences showed it wasn't the stuff from TH. The company spent millions testing these things and all came up empty.

I particularly laughed at the guy who reported all sorts of issues then exclaimed how they all went away when he went and bought stuff from Men's Warehouse...the same one whose parent company owns Twin Hill.

The common complaint with the itchiness is related to the wool in the clothes, that was put there with the insistence of the uniform committee.

Name User
06-05-2018, 09:47 AM
I’ll stop wearing TH when the company sends me an M&H uniform that fits. Literally not one thing fits, which is to be expected when they don’t do a fitting. I’ll send it all back, and in six months get a new set that may or may not fit...then rinse and repeat.

I'm not sure why they've had such an issue, previous M&H stuff was fine...but my regular blazer was like a skirt and the short had sleeves 2" too short.

And the pants are so big you can swim inside them. They look like clown pants. Already many in CnR are going "aftermarket", we will never have a cohesive uniform here.

Arado 234
06-05-2018, 12:53 PM

You wanna look sharp? Buy uniform items from Europe. Seidensticker used to make very good pilot shirts.

mainlineAF
06-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Iím torn on the uniform issue. Think of all the crap you buy from China and have worn your whole life. Not to mention all of the disgusting processed food we eat on a daily basis. But some high-quality uniforms that have been tested and shown to not cause any issues are making people break out/ have respiratory issues? I just donít buy it. I donít doubt people may have had some issues but I doubt theyíre actually caused by the twin hill uniforms.

While Iím uniform ranting, i really wish they would have made that leather motorcycle jacket an option. That with some slim fit pants would have looked nice.

MarineGrunt
06-05-2018, 02:11 PM
I just ordered a pair of pants and a fitted shirt from A Cut Above... they sell specifically AA gray and itís a near perfect match. I have both M&H and TH and have been less than impressed. Iíll give the pants a few weeks and post how they are. My TH pants are a year old and coming apart already. Donít know where cut above is made, but Iíll check the tag when I get home.

jhondoe
06-05-2018, 03:25 PM
Left unsaid is the fact that some guys are carrying multiple tens of extra poundage and wouldnít look good even with James Bondís tailor.

Name User
06-05-2018, 05:12 PM
Iím torn on the uniform issue. Think of all the crap you buy from China and have worn your whole life. Not to mention all of the disgusting processed food we eat on a daily basis. But some high-quality uniforms that have been tested and shown to not cause any issues are making people break out/ have respiratory issues? I just donít buy it. I donít doubt people may have had some issues but I doubt theyíre actually caused by the twin hill uniforms.

While Iím uniform ranting, i really wish they would have made that leather motorcycle jacket an option. That with some slim fit pants would have looked nice.
I fount hard for that jacket. It did look nice. On us "slimmer" guys at least. The guys making fun of it were just jealous, they looked like a dead cow in it.

mainlineAF
06-05-2018, 05:18 PM
I fount hard for that jacket. It did look nice. On us "slimmer" guys at least. The guys making fun of it were just jealous, they looked like a dead cow in it.

Itís same guys who make fun of the slim fit pants lol. Of course they donít like them, they canít wear them.

The first set of uniforms with the charcoal grey and double breasted looked sweet. But the dad bods axed that idea. Oh well.

mainlineAF
06-05-2018, 05:20 PM
I just ordered a pair of pants and a fitted shirt from A Cut Above... they sell specifically AA gray and itís a near perfect match. I have both M&H and TH and have been less than impressed. Iíll give the pants a few weeks and post how they are. My TH pants are a year old and coming apart already. Donít know where cut above is made, but Iíll check the tag when I get home.

Arenít the pants a navy blue color though? Why do they call them grey on the cut above website?

Name User
06-05-2018, 05:36 PM
Itís same guys who make fun of the slim fit pants lol. Of course they donít like them, they canít wear them.

The first set of uniforms with the charcoal grey and double breasted looked sweet. But the dad bods axed that idea. Oh well.

The double breasted looked good but was a PITA to wear day to day. The one we have now was definitely the way to go. However the M&H is just so sloppy looking.

EMBFlyer
06-05-2018, 08:46 PM
So when's the terminal fashion show, boys?

mainlineAF
06-06-2018, 06:08 AM
So when's the terminal fashion show, boys?

All day, every day.

mainlineAF
06-06-2018, 06:09 AM
The double breasted looked good but was a PITA to wear day to day. The one we have now was definitely the way to go. However the M&H is just so sloppy looking.

I bet it was. I hate the blazer. Itís not even remotely close to practical.

Name User
06-06-2018, 08:05 AM
I bet it was. I hate the blazer. Itís not even remotely close to practical.

Yeah in the winter you wear a warm jacket and in the summer you wear nothing...the blazer is great for about two weeks in the spring and summer...completely useless piece of clothing.

Al Czervik
06-06-2018, 09:08 AM
Need this with epaulets

beechjetdriver
06-06-2018, 12:14 PM

Do the pants from a cut above match the M&H color and thread width? The M&H color is slightly different than twin hill. The thread width on M&H fabric is slightly wider than twin hill too.

06-06-2018, 12:56 PM
Iíll never forget being refused the cockpit JS because I had my TH pants on while carrying the blazer. Last minute change in the bathroom or find a seat in the back!

Name User
06-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Iíll never forget being refused the cockpit JS because I had my TH pants on while carrying the blazer. Last minute change in the bathroom or find a seat in the back!

What? Story time. That doesn't even make sense.

06-06-2018, 01:59 PM
What? Story time. That doesn't even make sense.

Got done with a trip and was commuting on this flight. Took off the epaulets and tie, so just had the dress shirt on with the pants. Held onto the blazer. Agent let me board a few minutes early and then I learned that the CA and FO were both "reactors". Could have changed into dirty clothes and take the jump, but was able to get a cabin seat in the end. First time for me.

MarineGrunt
06-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Arenít the pants a navy blue color though? Why do they call them grey on the cut above website?

They are in the new AA charcoal gray. Match the M&H and TH near perfect.

MarineGrunt
06-06-2018, 03:45 PM
Do the pants from a cut above match the M&H color and thread width? The M&H color is slightly different than twin hill. The thread width on M&H fabric is slightly wider than twin hill too.

The thread width is the same as TH. At a glance, Cut Above and TH pants seem very close to the same quality. Almost looks like it could be the same contractor.

Also, Cut Above is made in China. Kind of disappointed in that.

Aviatrx
06-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Got done with a trip and was commuting on this flight. Took off the epaulets and tie, so just had the dress shirt on with the pants. Held onto the blazer. Agent let me board a few minutes early and then I learned that the CA and FO were both "reactors". Could have changed into dirty clothes and take the jump, but was able to get a cabin seat in the end. First time for me.

Iím not sure if I understand you right. I believe that if you have slacks and a collar you are good to go. Maybe this crew was out of order. Back and n the day, you needed a tie too. TH slacks and uniform shirt should be good unless the Captain felt unsafe

06-06-2018, 04:18 PM
I’m not sure if I understand you right. I believe that if you have slacks and a collar you are good to go. Maybe this crew was out of order. Back and n the day, you needed a tie too. TH slacks and uniform shirt should be good unless the Captain felt unsafe

They were reactors to the Twin Hill uniform. I have commuted several times without the tie and epaulets with no question from the crew. When the CA saw me, he asked if it was Twin Hill. Both him and the FO had reactions to it. I should have known something was off when I saw both of them with their legacy AA uniforms on. No big deal, just a new experience for me.

mainlineAF
06-06-2018, 06:06 PM

Wow. No words.

EMBFlyer
06-06-2018, 06:56 PM
They were reactors to the Twin Hill uniform. I have commuted several times without the tie and epaulets with no question from the crew. When the CA saw me, he asked if it was Twin Hill. Both him and the FO had reactions to it. I should have known something was off when I saw both of them with their legacy AA uniforms on. No big deal, just a new experience for me.

Wow! That's a bit...excessive. I'm no fan of the TH uniform, but I'd never kick anyone out of the jumpseat. I also don't say anything to the guys I fly with, either. I only say something when hear people being obstinate and refusing to order/wear the M&H stuff.

PRS Guitars
06-06-2018, 09:20 PM

So, do they buddy bid or something? To only fly with each other or other reactors. Not sure how that works.

By the way, I wouldnít exactly call a pilot shirt without epaulets a ďdress shirtĒ or maybe I misunderstood, and you put on a dress shirt.

Floobs
06-06-2018, 11:02 PM
MH is the worst, why am I not surprised that's the vendor we went with. I ordered mine almost a year ago and haven't gotten it yet.

Floobs
06-06-2018, 11:25 PM

The franco kaufman design looked really good. From pilots to gate agents to f/aas. It was so annoying when a handful of people whined about the lack of color and scrapped the whole line.

aa73
06-07-2018, 03:18 AM
Good grief gents. And we wonder why we canít get a decent contract?Order the proper uniform and spend some of the $$$ youíd spend a month at Starbucks tailoring it to look good. This really isnít that hard. I had all my M&H shirts and pants tailored to the ďtapered and fittedĒ look... they look great. Yes I spent some $$$ but it was money well spent. Sure I wish the company would have gone with better quality but it is what it is. And I will say the M&H customer service is beyond awesome... anytime I had to return stuff it was taken care of in a matter of days with prompt replacement.

Aviatrx
06-07-2018, 03:42 AM

Oh, I see. Well I am glad there were seats in the back in that case. That is pretty weird of the cockpit crew though. I thought the issues with the uniforms had to do with skin contact. By this crews theory you shouldnít even be on the same airplane with the recirculating air

EMBFlyer
06-07-2018, 05:57 AM
Oh, I see. Well I am glad there were seats in the back in that case. That is pretty weird of the cockpit crew though. I thought the issues with the uniforms had to do with skin contact. By this crews theory you shouldnít even be on the same airplane with the recirculating air

I find I get stuffy, phlegmy and have sinus issues when the other guy in the cockpit is wearing the TH, especially when the jacket and shirts are involved. As soon as I get on the ground and out of the cockpit, symptoms are gone within an hour or 2.

Name User
06-07-2018, 07:28 AM
I find I get stuffy, phlegmy and have sinus issues when the other guy in the cockpit is wearing the TH, especially when the jacket and shirts are involved. As soon as I get on the ground and out of the cockpit, symptoms are gone within an hour or 2.

Yeah those 100% cotton shirts sure are an allergen. Just don't look at where the M&H shirts come from or their makeup.

Certainly couldn't be the airplane, or the environment, or xyz.

But you've convinced yourself it's the TH stuff so nothing will change your mind.

06-07-2018, 07:41 AM
So, do they buddy bid or something? To only fly with each other or other reactors. Not sure how that works.

By the way, I wouldnít exactly call a pilot shirt without epaulets a ďdress shirtĒ or maybe I misunderstood, and you put on a dress shirt.

I wonder the same thing. I meant the pilot shirt, not a different dress shirt. I used to think some people exaggerated a bit about the TH uniforms, but I guess I was wrong. I always thought it could have been a bad batch that came out of their warehouse that made some people react.

Name User
06-07-2018, 07:47 AM
I wonder the same thing. I meant the pilot shirt, not a different dress shirt. I used to think some people exaggerated a bit about the TH uniforms, but I guess I was wrong. I always thought it could have been a bad batch that came out of their warehouse that made some people react.

Some people had some serious skin rashes. However they also reported them with every new uniform offered.

As CEO how do you fix that? If you were HR at Skippy and someone with a severe peanut allergy was having issues, what is the solution?

EMBFlyer
06-07-2018, 12:20 PM
Yeah those 100% cotton shirts sure are an allergen. Just don't look at where the M&H shirts come from or their makeup.

Certainly couldn't be the airplane, or the environment, or xyz.

But you've convinced yourself it's the TH stuff so nothing will change your mind.

And you're convinced that there's nothing wrong with them and nothing will change you mind.

Morbo
06-11-2018, 12:07 PM
I just got my M&H uniforms today, and I can safely say they are just as awful as I heard. On the plus side, I can safely gain 80 pounds and still wear them.

Floobs
06-11-2018, 09:33 PM
I'm probably gonna keep wearing my twin Hill. I really like the shirts. I've never seen a 100% cotton pills shirt.

Cheddar
06-12-2018, 04:42 AM
Soooooo, I had horrible reactions to the TW uniform that I received. I actually thought it looked great, but I had severe respiratory issues while wearing it. Maybe it was the horrible smell that came out when I opened the original bag, but whatever it was, it never went away no matter how many times I had it professionally cleaned. I wore that sucker for three months (sans jacket because the THREE they sent I couldnít get my arms through - and no - it wasnít because of my Schwarzenegger like biceps) and was sick for three months. I went to a respiratory specialist that told me no walking pneumonia, or bronchitis, but it looked as if I was being Ďexposedí to something toxic.

Once I heard about the FA issues, I wore Kohlís pants, my old cut above shirts and tied everything up in a garbage bag and threw it in the attic, and voila - no more respiratory issues - all with the concurrence of my base CPs.

The weird thing is that it wasnít every TH uniform that caused the issue. I talked to the union about it and they (along with the company) had been told that certain batches of the fabric were treated with rat poison at the warehouses while awaiting the production ramp up. While I have NO IDEA whether thatís true or not, it would explain why only some people reacted poorly to TH uniforms (including other employee groups) and many did not.

I have a wool TH sweater that is perfectly fine - that I have worn for two years as a jacket replacement - that I absolutely love. Zero reactions. I have received two TH ties that I have had ZERO issues with sooo...

I think the TH uniforms look better, but my original issue was toxic. No itís not going to kill me if I sit next to somebody with a TH uniform, but the problem was real.

By the way, I received my M&H uniform two weeks ago and the jacket fit perfectly right out of the box. The shirts are comically big and I couldnít even get the pants on because apparently a 36 is a 30 for M&H when it comes to waistlines.

I will agree with many others that the material is Ďlackingí when it comes to quality.

What I donít understand is that we had Landís End and Brooks Brothers as options. WTF. Our union unilaterally chooses M&H?!?

...yAAy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name User
06-12-2018, 07:32 AM
If the rat poison thing is true why not just reissue new uniforms for everyone that had issues? This seems like a ridiculous thing to go through for a select batch of fabric.

On a side note keep in mind imported clothes are sprayed with pesticides and insecticides to prevent bugs from coming in from other countries. Just like our airplanes are "bombed" at some Caribbean destinations. This is probably the source of your report and unfortunately nothing different than the made in China M&H stuff.

I pleaded with the Co during the wear test phase to make everything from US sources.

Cheddar
06-12-2018, 07:45 AM
If the rat poison thing is true why not just reissue new uniforms for everyone that had issues? This seems like a ridiculous thing to go through for a select batch of fabric.

On a side note keep in mind imported clothes are sprayed with pesticides and insecticides to prevent bugs from coming in from other countries. Just like our airplanes are "bombed" at some Caribbean destinations. This is probably the source of your report and unfortunately nothing different than the made in China M&H stuff.

I pleaded with the Co during the wear test phase to make everything from US sources.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į

I just work here mate... and barely at that.

minivan
06-17-2018, 05:20 AM
Į\_(ツ)_/Į

I just work here mate... and barely at that.

From what I understand, Twin Hill was just as much done with AA and the possible reputation hit, so the replace option isn't available. And... from what I understand, there's a class action lawsuit, so the decision makers are likely straddling the plank at this point.

I agree, what a dumb thing to have such a blown up issue over. Brings to mind that frustrated parental adage, "This is why we can't have nice things!"

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1