Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Via Airlines 121 & 135

29singlespeed
06-06-2018, 05:01 AM
Anyone here with experience at Via on their PT135 side and 121 side?

teddy3412
06-06-2018, 05:22 AM
Anyone here with experience at Via on their PT135 side and 121 side?

They have a thread on the charter forum I believe.

29singlespeed
06-06-2018, 05:32 AM
They have a thread on the charter forum I believe.

Indeed there is. I search via on all forums and it didn't come up.. likely user error. thank you

Cujo665
08-23-2018, 08:23 AM
The Mods really should move that thread over to the regionals thread. The 121 side is six times larger than the 135 side; and they're doing 90% scheduled 121 and only about 10% unscheduled.

ItnStln
08-26-2018, 06:37 PM
Are the EAS flights Part 121 or 135?

Cujo665
08-27-2018, 04:45 PM
Are the EAS flights Part 121 or 135?

A little of both last I checked. Thereís only a few EAS and those are out of CLT.

Cujo665
08-30-2018, 06:15 AM
With the new pay scales and FO's starting at $50k salary and top step in five years of $65k it's actually a realistic job. The starting CA pay is $78k and tops at $100k in just 5 years. Try that at one of the other regionals.

Then add in never having to jumpseat commute. Never needing a crashpad. Long Call from home. Keeping all Hotel, Air and Rental Car points. Crew Cars at most overnights. Crew Meals provided on duty days over 12 hours. CASS/KCM provided. iPads, totally electronic paperwork, release, W&B....everything by iPad. Small but growing company that plans to add larger equipment as loads increase. Basically a small Allegiant/Sun Country doing vacation and destination flying in smaller jets allowing the to reach into smaller markets.

They've got their problems like all regionals; but how they treat their pilots isn't one of them. The exception is the always late monthly schedules.

ItnStln
08-30-2018, 08:37 AM
A little of both last I checked. Thereís only a few EAS and those are out of CLT.

Thanks!
filler

pilotguy7
09-04-2018, 05:51 AM
They've got their problems like all regionals; but how they treat their pilots isn't one of them. The exception is the always late monthly schedules.
They have WAY more problems that ANY regional!!!! Dont come here! You will be sad, and angry! Yes the salary pay is nice, but you will fly WAY more than any other regional out there and have the same pay check as if you only flew 75 hours. At least at other regionals, the harder you work the more you get paid. For the most part the pilot group is ****ED OFF and tired! The FA's are ****ED OFF and tired!!! A recent email came out and stated to "expect to work max duty day whenever you show up to work"! F THAT!!!! Then they will push to crews to extend based on unrealistic timetables! We have lost half our pilots in the last month and a half. That should tell ya something! BTW we dont do EAS! They tried that and got kicked out. . in fact everything this airline tries, they get kicked out of . The owner just wants to grow without having the proper foundation in place . . . and every year or so , everyone gets fed up with it and walks out (pilots and FA's) . . the guy never learns! Go to a real regional! Stay away from Via!

Cujo665
09-04-2018, 08:15 AM
They have WAY more problems that ANY regional!!!! Dont come here! You will be sad, and angry! Yes the salary pay is nice, but you will fly WAY more than any other regional out there and have the same pay check as if you only flew 75 hours. At least at other regionals, the harder you work the more you get paid. For the most part the pilot group is ****ED OFF and tired! The FA's are ****ED OFF and tired!!! A recent email came out and stated to "expect to work max duty day whenever you show up to work"! F THAT!!!! Then they will push to crews to extend based on unrealistic timetables! We have lost half our pilots in the last month and a half. That should tell ya something! BTW we dont do EAS! They tried that and got kicked out. . in fact everything this airline tries, they get kicked out of . The owner just wants to grow without having the proper foundation in place . . . and every year or so , everyone gets fed up with it and walks out (pilots and FA's) . . the guy never learns! Go to a real regional! Stay away from Via!

They have problems for sure; all regionals do. Theirs are just different than most. Their failure - in my opinion - has always been their schedules.

It seems they took on too much new flying with not enough staffing and have been scheduling max duty days. This level of long duty day, max flying, has not been the norm at Via.

There should be an over ride if you go over 80 hours, and currently there isn't. If they are doing this, then guys need to watch their FDP duty time as much as their flight time. It will be easy to hit 60 hours FDP before needing a 30 in week.

It's still better than most. You don't sit airport standby. You don't have to jumpseat yourself to/from work. You don't need a crashpad. You can upgrade fairly quickly or even get street Captain with the quals. Opportunity to become a check airman or sim instructor. Decent pay. You keep the hotel & air miles. Crew Meals on long duty days. Crew cars to use on overnights.

Pilotguy7; If they can get more pilots, those schedule issues you highlighted should resolve themselves, wouldn't you agree?

Macchi30
09-04-2018, 08:39 AM
what about the Via Air ďCadet ProgramĒ? :)

pilotguy7
09-04-2018, 08:43 AM
They have problems for sure; all regionals do. Theirs are just different than most. Their failure - in my opinion - has always been their schedules.

Pilotguy7; If they can get more pilots, those schedule issues you highlighted should resolve themselves, wouldn't you agree?
Honestly . . they need to just tap the brakes for a bit. Stop trying to grow. Get caught up with the crews, get EVERYONE . . . from ground folks to dispatchers TRAINED and following the same SOP. If it was me, I'd stop all but the most profitable flying right now. . scale back . . . and build a great foundation. Then go kill it!!!!! Everything you stated as of why this is a good place to work is true. . but if you continue to make nobody's life good (including the PAX), then you WILL FAIL!!!!! Tap the breaks, re-group, set a new standard for the company, admit your past faults to the public, and then go kill it.

But management has a history of trying to grow, then ****ing everyone off . . . then finding a new niche of routes and pilots and doing the same thing over again!

This is classic stupidity . . doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results!

Cujo665
09-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Honestly . . they need to just tap the brakes for a bit. Stop trying to grow. Get caught up with the crews, get EVERYONE . . . from ground folks to dispatchers TRAINED and following the same SOP. If it was me, I'd stop all but the most profitable flying right now. . scale back . . . and build a great foundation. Then go kill it!!!!! Everything you stated as of why this is a good place to work is true. . but if you continue to make nobody's life good (including the PAX), then you WILL FAIL!!!!! Tap the breaks, re-group, set a new standard for the company, admit your past faults to the public, and then go kill it.

But management has a history of trying to grow, then ****ing everyone off . . . then finding a new niche of routes and pilots and doing the same thing over again!

This is classic stupidity . . doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results!

I do not disagree with any of that.

They either need to do as you said, and pull back....
or
find a way to retain guys better while new ones come online. The staffing increase would solve those problems too.

In either case, they need to stop adding new routes without growing the pilot group first.

Cujo665
09-05-2018, 03:07 PM
They have 8 new pilots in the training program that just started today.
Itís a small pilot group, so any vacancy impacts schedule quality more than larger companies. With other re-hires coming back that only need requals they should have more staffing than needed soon which should greatly improve schedule quality.

Cujo665
09-19-2018, 02:43 PM
It is 8 in the class, and 2 that left in March are either back or coming back too. Of the 4 that had just resigned, 3 asked to come right back and missed maybe 2-4 days of work. The other guy started at Endeavor.

They provide a crew house condo in Orlando now too. So no need to rent a crash pad. Single occupancy rooms. Crew car provided also to go out and around in.

CBreezy
09-24-2018, 07:00 AM
It is 8 in the class, and 2 that left in March are either back or coming back too. Of the 4 that had just resigned, 3 asked to come right back and missed maybe 2-4 days of work. The other guy started at Endeavor.

They provide a crew house condo in Orlando now too. So no need to rent a crash pad. Single occupancy rooms. Crew car provided also to go out and around in.

Haha. Cujo is in here talking to himself.

Cujo665
09-25-2018, 06:17 AM
Haha. Cujo is in here talking to himself.

Clarifying the earlier post actually. YMMV.

The scheduling deficiencies still exist, and I think are actually a bit worse than before. One base runs 4 leg days with about 8 hours duty time. The other routinely runs 6 leg days with 12 hour duty days. This is more the result of short staffing than anything else.

Wearebroke
10-10-2018, 08:19 PM
If you like the idea of working for a 121 carrier that has a 135/91 mindset, Via is for you. Our 'competition' has 7 pilots/tail. Via? 4'ish.

Good luck to all that work here. It's only your certificate.

Cujo665
10-14-2018, 11:42 AM
If you like the idea of working for a 121 carrier that has a 135/91 mindset, Via is for you. Our 'competition' has 7 pilots/tail. Via? 4'ish.

Good luck to all that work here. It's only your certificate.

If you’re going to compare staffing per hull, you need to also compare utilization. Via’s planes typically fly an 8-13 hour day. Other regionals have their birds flying 5am till 11pm, an 18 hour day. Via planes fly 5 days a week with 2 days at each base with no scheduled flying at all last I checked. Much lower utilization would obviously require much lower staffing per hull. It’s not an accurate comparison you’re making. By the way, it’s not 7 pilots per hull, it’s 5-6 crews.... 10-12 pilots per hull at other regionals with higher utilization. That 10-12 includes airport standby pilots at each base and scheduled reserve pilots at each base which Via doesn’t really use either. Just those alone would be 18 standby and reserve pilots a day at the other regionals for two bases. Via definately needs more pilots, especially with anticipated growth coming.

I do not disagree with your statement about a 135 type mentality of “get the job done” but if you think Via is the only carrier where you protect your certificate yourself, then you haven’t talked with very many guys at other regionals. Go read these msg boards, they’re full of guys complaining about having to protect their license one way or another.

Being a professional includes knowing when not to go fly. That isn’t unique to Via.

Great first post. Ax to grind ?

Cujo665
10-25-2018, 05:48 AM
New $5,000 signing bonus for pilots already typed in E145.

Makes first year FO salary $55k and first year CA $83k

CBreezy
10-26-2018, 05:04 AM
New $5,000 signing bonus for pilots already typed in E145.

Makes first year FO salary $55k and first year CA $83k

Your desperation to get people to go there is perplexing.

80emb145
10-26-2018, 07:12 AM
Iím gonna guess he went back to work for them and is now their #1 recruiter.

Cujo665
10-27-2018, 05:05 AM
Your desperation to get people to go there is perplexing.

I’m not management. Staffing is their job. I happen to like the company, mostly because there are far worse places to work than Via.
That’s a fact, like it or not.

It isn’t desperation no matter how much you wish it. It’s letting guys know they have options other than being treated like a door mat in exchange for promises of future interviews. With the shortage only getting worse, pilots really won’t need interview or flow programs. They’re nice to have as a backup, but in most cases aren’t worth the horrific quality of life and low pay.

At Via you
Aren’t stuck jumpseating to/from work, they buy you tickets
You don’t do scheduled airport standby, no crashpad needed.
Short call reserve gets a hotel provided so no crash pad needed.
Long call is from home, with positive space tickets if called.
Long duty days get free crew meals provided
Crew cars (even rentals) are provided rather than hotel vans
You won’t sit on reserve for months waiting to fly

You will fly 75-100 hours per month depending on schedule. Currently it’s on the high end due to staffing.
If you live within 90 miles of SFB or AUS they typically send you home rather than providing a hotel.
Almost all trips are day trips from the base. Housing provided for commuters at both bases. No crashpads.

Knock it all you want, compared to other regionals Via treats their pilots better than most. Go read some regional threads where the complaints are that they have to live in crashpads except 4 nights a month, and they just sit on reserve never getting to fly.

Can’t win with you guys.... complain if you don’t get to fly, complain if you fly too much.... well, hire more pilots and you won’t have to fly as much. Get it?

There are far worse places to be.

Cujo665
10-27-2018, 05:13 AM
I’m gonna guess he went back to work for them and is now their #1 recruiter.

I’ve always said it’s a decent regional to work for, even after I left. Do they have issues? Yep. Show me a regional that doesn’t.

If they Don’t like it, leave.

For guys looking to actually build time and not sit wasting away on reserve, and to be treated better than at most places, it’s a good gig.

Now it’s $55k starting pay for FO’s not including per diem, benefits, housing.

Other places advertise like $76k including all that crap. They provide 4 hotels a month on average. Via provides housing every night for commuters. Do the math on that wise guy. It’s a value well over $100k. Then add in the real airline tickets to/from work. That’s another $10k-$12k easily.

Now, if you live in base, you aren’t getting those extra perks. It’s salary and actually building hours instead of sitting on reserve.

Pick your poison. Get your hours. Move on.
There’s worse places to do it.

dera
10-31-2018, 06:30 PM
Canít win with you guys.... complain if you donít get to fly, complain if you fly too much.... well, hire more pilots and you wonít have to fly as much. Get it?

There are far worse places to be.

Don't forget what the crowd here is like. This is a forum where AA Group 4 captains making 350k a year complain how the airline is about to go bankrupt and how hard it is to work 9 days a month. And where Delta guys say their contract is awful and needs to be renegotiated ASAP.

They should rename it "Negative Pilot Central" :)

Blueflyer973
11-01-2018, 02:13 PM

It seems they took on too much new flying with not enough staffing and have been scheduling max duty days. This level of long duty day, max flying, has not been the norm at Via.

There should be an over ride if you go over 80 hours, and currently there isn't. If they are doing this, then guys need to watch their FDP duty time as much as their flight time. It will be easy to hit 60 hours FDP before needing a 30 in week.

It's still better than most. You don't sit airport standby. You don't have to jumpseat yourself to/from work. You don't need a crashpad. You can upgrade fairly quickly or even get street Captain with the quals. Opportunity to become a check airman or sim instructor. Decent pay. You keep the hotel & air miles. Crew Meals on long duty days. Crew cars to use on overnights.

What type of schedule does Via pilots fly? 8/6 or a seniority bidding type of schedule?

Wearebroke
11-02-2018, 10:58 PM
Cujo cracks me up. 'Could not pass up the opportunity'. Whatever. Stay as far away as you can. Go to a regional that will at least get you an interview at a major. Via will get you an interview with food stamps or unemployment.

Cujo665
11-03-2018, 12:15 PM
What type of schedule does Via pilots fly? 8/6 or a seniority bidding type of schedule?

Honestly, the schedules are their worst part. In SFB base the schedules are very good. In AUS the schedules still include at least once per cycle of 6 leg max duty days. The MX issues on the former TSA planes is still atrocious, but you’re paid salary so cancellations don’t effect the pay at all. The problem I see is the frequent cancellations in AUS are going to send all the PAX elsewhere if it continues. It’s also literally stupid crap causing the cancellations that shouldn’t be happening. Way too much crisis management and not enough preventative management in AUS.

They also have a nasty habit of not even publishing your next month schedule schedule until the last day of the current month. That was probably my biggest complaint while there.

I’ve been hearing mostly 8/6 but they will work you more if you let them. Just say no. They technically get you for 16 with two added RSV days. They’re pretty flexible how you do your days if you work with them in advance.

Cujo665
11-03-2018, 12:32 PM
Cujo cracks me up. 'Could not pass up the opportunity'. Whatever. Stay as far away as you can. Go to a regional that will at least get you an interview at a major. Via will get you an interview with food stamps or unemployment.

Not sure what opportunity you’re quoting? I checked back a page or two and couldn’t find what you’re referencing, may have missed it but you could clarify.

Via isn’t like other regionals. They aren’t a fee for departure carrier flying somebody else’s passengers under express/eagle branding. They sell their own tickets and fly in their own colors. They’re much more like a very small Sun Country or Allegiant but operating smaller equipment, for now. Basically an ULCC.

They report their load factor is ahead of projections on all routes and is continuing to develop and increase. Their plans do include larger planes in the future. I’d bet they stick around and grow for many years to come.

They are a small operation, and it shows in the lack of support infrastructure and equipment. Somebody made the comparison of 91/135 mentality running a 121 and I’d agree. They’re learning though. Many other regionals refuse to even listen to their pilots.

FlyyGuyy
11-06-2018, 06:19 AM
Not sure what opportunity youíre quoting? I checked back a page or two and couldnít find what youíre referencing, may have missed it but you could clarify.

Via isnít like other regionals. They arenít a fee for departure carrier flying somebody elseís passengers under express/eagle branding. They sell their own tickets and fly in their own colors. Theyíre much more like a very small Sun Country or Allegiant but operating smaller equipment, for now. Basically an ULCC.

They report their load factor is ahead of projections on all routes and is continuing to develop and increase. Their plans do include larger planes in the future. Iíd bet they stick around and grow for many years to come.

They are a small operation, and it shows in the lack of support infrastructure and equipment. Somebody made the comparison of 91/135 mentality running a 121 and Iíd agree. Theyíre learning though. Many other regionals refuse to even listen to their pilots.

They just lost contracts out of Charlotte. For unreliability.

Cujo665
11-06-2018, 01:04 PM
They just lost contracts out of Charlotte. For unreliability.

1/2 accurate. They were not the low bidder for the EAS routes and lost the bid. That had more to do with it than anything else. The contract expires this month. They did learn a lot the hard way back then.

The EAS CLT routes were due to expire this month. The flying was already replaced with more SFB flying doing shorter routes like THL-SFB. Flights already available for purchase online starting Dec 3rd acc9ording to their website.

They are concentrating on building SFB and AUS and finally realized that going anywhere in a scattered way wasn't helping.

They are advertising for more pilots, and offering a $5k bonus to anybody typed in the E145. That makes a new hire FO $50 salary, plus $5k bonus. Equivalent of 2nd year pay to start. FO pay goes up $5k each year and tops at $65k. This doesn't include the per diem, benefits, housing/hotels, positive space real tickets. New FO's also won't sit on reserve waiting to fly. They'll be doing 75-95 hours a month depending on base right away.

It's definitely not perfect, and it has it's own set of unique challenges; but compared to other regionals, Via treats their pilots much better.

Get in, get your hours, move on.

93Sierra
11-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Via having issues?

rondonq1
11-14-2018, 06:28 AM
1/2 accurate. They were not the low bidder for the EAS routes and lost the bid. That had more to do with it than anything else. The contract expires this month. They did learn a lot the hard way back then.

The EAS CLT routes were due to expire this month. The flying was already replaced with more SFB flying doing shorter routes like THL-SFB. Flights already available for purchase online starting Dec 3rd acc9ording to their website.

They are concentrating on building SFB and AUS and finally realized that going anywhere in a scattered way wasn't helping.

They are advertising for more pilots, and offering a $5k bonus to anybody typed in the E145. That makes a new hire FO $50 salary, plus $5k bonus. Equivalent of 2nd year pay to start. FO pay goes up $5k each year and tops at $65k. This doesn't include the per diem, benefits, housing/hotels, positive space real tickets. New FO's also won't sit on reserve waiting to fly. They'll be doing 75-95 hours a month depending on base right away.

It's definitely not perfect, and it has it's own set of unique challenges; but compared to other regionals, Via treats their pilots much better.

Get in, get your hours, move on.

Why you go to Via when you can go envoy and flow to AA in 6 years?

Cujo665
11-14-2018, 07:33 AM
Why you go to Via when you can go envoy and flow to AA in 6 years?

The AAG regionals have some of the lowest pay, and worst working conditions in the Fee For Departure industry. AAG keeps it that way with the promise of flowing to AA in 6-9 years (depending on carrier and other variables).

Via is not a Fee For Departure carrier. It's their own product they are growing and building. It's a place you can get in while it's young and grow with it; or simply get your hours and move on. Go to Envoy and a new FO will sit on reserve many months in NY waiting to build hours, while a Via FO will be flying 75-90 right out of training. The Via pilot will not have commuting issues since they get paid travel to/from work; they won't have to rent crashpads since the company provides housing, and they will be treated much better than at AAG (or any of the FFD regionals for that matter).

The hiring boom is really just starting. See recent news from places like United to back that up. The retirements that have been driving hiring the past few years really start to ramp up this year and will be furious the next 6-10 years.

A guaranteed flow is a nice insurance policy to have, but as the hiring boom picks up, the guarantee of a flow will have less and less value as most will be able to go elsewhere long before flowing. This is why Envoy is facing a Captain shortage and still hiring street Captains. They're leaving in greater numbers before flowing.

That all said; I don't work at Via. I used to. I enjoyed my time there and think the company will eventually do very well. Right now they are going through a tough period. No denying that.

How you been? Haven't heard from you in ages?

SonicFlyer
11-14-2018, 12:22 PM
Right now they are going through a tough period. No denying that.

Can you expand on this for those of us who might be interested in working there? :confused:

93Sierra
11-15-2018, 11:32 AM
The amount of cancellations last 3 days has been staggering what gives?

80emb145
11-15-2018, 12:04 PM
Can you expand on this for those of us who might be interested in working there? :confused:

The 121S ticket was achieved mid 2016. There have been 3 DOís since that time. As well as 3 DMís come to think of it. Dare I say it, 3 director of safetyís as well.

It started out as a supplemental charter company. At the time, there was Cesarís, PASS (collegiate/minor league team) flying, vacation travel, and some eas routes. Via has lost all of that almost entirely to performance issues. As Cujo says it, they werenít reawarded the bid for some eas stuff. Itís. It isnít always the cheapest bidder. Prior and proven performance means a lot.
They now fly on their own dime. Theyíve created their own routes and hope that people fly them. If they donít, they lose a lot of money. They can make a lot if booked to high capacity, but news coverage of canceled flights and screwing over customers doesnít help.
Then the planes. Theyíre some of the oldest 145ís out there. Despite quite the investment to get them where they should be, apparently it ainít working.
The place is a revolving door. For every positive they have, I believe every regional has them 3 fold. Even Mesa. If for nothing more than stability. Out of every person who has left Via, ask them if theyíd be surprised is Via shut down tomorrow, and I can promise you that no one would be shocked.

backtoregionals
11-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Not sure what opportunity youíre quoting? I checked back a page or two and couldnít find what youíre referencing, may have missed it but you could clarify.

Via isnít like other regionals. They arenít a fee for departure carrier flying somebody elseís passengers under express/eagle branding. They sell their own tickets and fly in their own colors. Theyíre much more like a very small Sun Country or Allegiant but operating smaller equipment, for now. Basically an ULCC.

They report their load factor is ahead of projections on all routes and is continuing to develop and increase. Their plans do include larger planes in the future. Iíd bet they stick around and grow for many years to come.

They are a small operation, and it shows in the lack of support infrastructure and equipment. Somebody made the comparison of 91/135 mentality running a 121 and Iíd agree. Theyíre learning though. Many other regionals refuse to even listen to their pilots.

Since when does Via listen to itís pilots?????? If they did, they probably wouldnít have astronomical turn over...

Cujo665
11-15-2018, 04:41 PM
The amount of cancellations last 3 days has been staggering what gives?

A run of bad luck on MX issues grounding 4 of 5 planes all at the same time. MX toasted a motor on one just the other day.

They need better planning, and to stock more parts rather than ordering AOG all the time. I also think they tried to expand too fast. They need to pull back a little and focus on quality.

They’re turning away tons of Charter work too due to lack of planes/pilots. They had all six planes down a year and a half ago for two months. The pilots all sat home paid.

The planes came from TSA. Lesson learned.

Cujo665
11-15-2018, 04:46 PM
Since when does Via listen to it’s pilots?????? If they did, they probably wouldn’t have astronomical turn over...

They stopped scheduling the six leg days back to back non-stop in AUS, and now it’s pretty rare.

Go back a few pages, that was the big complaint. They listened and changed it as best they could.

Cujo665
11-15-2018, 04:50 PM
The 121S ticket was achieved mid 2016. There have been 3 DOís since that time. As well as 3 DMís come to think of it. Dare I say it, 3 director of safetyís as well.

It started out as a supplemental charter company. At the time, there was Cesarís, PASS (collegiate/minor league team) flying, vacation travel, and some eas routes. Via has lost all of that almost entirely to performance issues. As Cujo says it, they werenít reawarded the bid for some eas stuff. Itís. It isnít always the cheapest bidder. Prior and proven performance means a lot.
They now fly on their own dime. Theyíve created their own routes and hope that people fly them. If they donít, they lose a lot of money. They can make a lot if booked to high capacity, but news coverage of canceled flights and screwing over customers doesnít help.
Then the planes. Theyíre some of the oldest 145ís out there. Despite quite the investment to get them where they should be, apparently it ainít working.
The place is a revolving door. For every positive they have, I believe every regional has them 3 fold. Even Mesa. If for nothing more than stability. Out of every person who has left Via, ask them if theyíd be surprised is Via shut down tomorrow, and I can promise you that no one would be shocked.

Thatís probabky a pretty fair run down on the history. Unfortunately.

SonicFlyer
11-15-2018, 05:08 PM
Out of every person who has left Via, ask them if theyíd be surprised is Via shut down tomorrow, and I can promise you that no one would be shocked.Shut down due to an accident, safety/mx, or running out of money? :confused:

Cujo665
11-15-2018, 06:21 PM
Shut down due to an accident, safety/mx, or running out of money? :confused:

Still operating, reduced schedules due to multiple planes down for different reasons. One, was a radome and they had to wait for the part. Another was an airstair door. MX toasted an engine on another two days ago. APU MEL that expired while waiting on parts. All pretty much within the same week. They only had 5.

They need to scale back and concentrate on the fewer more profitable routes, and dump the rest for now.

James White
11-15-2018, 06:50 PM
Still operating, reduced schedules due to multiple planes down for different reasons. One, was a radome and they had to wait for the part. Another was an airstair door. MX toasted an engine on another two days ago. APU MEL that expired while waiting on parts. All pretty much within the same week. They only had 5.

They need to scale back and concentrate on the fewer more profitable routes, and dump the rest for now.

Silver is coming for you guys weíve got planes and pilots

dera
11-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Go to Envoy and a new FO will sit on reserve many months in NY waiting to build hours, while a Via FO will be flying 75-90 right out of training.

Speaking from experience...?
Didn't think so.

(pro tip: Envoy new hires don't go to NY).

Cujo665
11-20-2018, 09:14 AM
Speaking from experience...?
Didn't think so.

(pro tip: Envoy new hires don't go to NY).

The point is they ride a chair on reserve instead of logging time. Worst reserve rules in the industry; everybody knows that. It's why they have to offer $45k to get street Captains... and now they're offering it to FO's who are within 500 hours of upgrade.

dera
11-20-2018, 10:13 PM
The point is they ride a chair on reserve instead of logging time. Worst reserve rules in the industry; everybody knows that. It's why they have to offer $45k to get street Captains... and now they're offering it to FO's who are within 500 hours of upgrade.

Most new hires lately have been going to the 175, and they fly good amounts.
Don't spread BS if you don't know what you are talking about.

cr700
11-21-2018, 02:05 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head. Somebody seems like they are just jealous of those at Envoy. I donít know, maybe they couldnít get hired here.

Cujo665
11-22-2018, 11:00 AM

If you're fortunate you'll get the 175 in new hire class, which I've heard has reserves that are actually used and a relatively short time on reserve before you hold a line.....

If you're like most people though, you'll be on the 145. In either ORD or LGA. At the moment either base is overstaffed on the FO side of the 145, with reserves not being used much, and a much longer time spent on reserve overall.

Most are still going to RSV it seems... so, which is it dera?

Posted today
https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/2712473-post5.html

Cujo665
11-22-2018, 11:17 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head. Somebody seems like they are just jealous of those at Envoy. I don’t know, maybe they couldn’t get hired here.

Sympathetic for those suffering needlessly is more like it. Funny, several of Via’s pilots came from Envoy. They didn’t like the treatment there, plus sitting endlessly on reserve and not flying.

Not commuting
No crashpads
No ready reserve
No abusive reserve rules
No endless contract violations
Keep air miles
Keep rental car points
Keep hotel points
Crew meals on long duty days
Crew cars at RONs to use and go out in
$5,000 signing bonus for E145 Typed Pilots.
Start flying a line right out of training, not sitting reserve.

They’re small and everybody knows each other. If a small place like Via can do those things, then there is zero excuse for what’s going on at AAG owned regionals.

I don’t work at Via, but I enjoyed my time there.

dera
11-23-2018, 09:46 AM
Most are still going to RSV it seems... so, which is it dera?

Posted today
https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/2712473-post5.html

Latest class drops have been 75% 175 25% 145. So most are not going to 145. 175 reserve is short, and you fly while on reserve.

Cujo665
11-24-2018, 07:43 AM
Latest class drops have been 75% 175 25% 145. So most are not going to 145. 175 reserve is short, and you fly while on reserve.

Thatís better. Still doesnít make up for the treatment and lousy work rules though.

dera
11-25-2018, 05:35 PM
Thatís better. Still doesnít make up for the treatment and lousy work rules though.

Have you got personal experience of either?

FLYMIA
11-26-2018, 05:39 AM
How many scheduled routes does Via have?

Cujo665
11-26-2018, 05:42 AM

More than you. Still have many good friends suffering that abusive management. Had experience at National also allowing an under the curtain peek into many other companies cultures. Envoy is toxic in comparison, and unless youíve worked elsewhere, or had the peek under the curtain... you wouldnít understand or believe it. It is however, true. Iíve lived it. Very happy to be out of AAG. Enjoyed my time at Via very much which I canít say for AAG. Moved onto heavy international stuff and couldnít be happier.

Cujo665
11-26-2018, 05:43 AM
How many scheduled routes does Via have?

https://www.flyviaair.com/route-map

CBreezy
11-26-2018, 12:58 PM

Cujo is an unapologetic fan boy doing his best to pump up the classes of a poorly run Via. They can get their time and fill a slot under him at some less poorly run ACMI or charter operation making less subpar wages.

FLYMIA
11-26-2018, 06:14 PM
how many A/C?

93Sierra
11-26-2018, 07:31 PM
Honest question.... currently an fo at OO and intertwined at working somewhere that home bases you. Would you leave a solid company for the idea of not commuting?

80emb145
11-27-2018, 09:08 AM
Absolutely, if that home based company wasnít Via.

FLYMIA
11-27-2018, 09:35 AM
Honest question.... currently an fo at OO and intertwined at working somewhere that home bases you. Would you leave a solid company for the idea of not commuting?

Check out Elite Airways. Home basing, FO $60K starting salary with 4k annual raise. CASS. upgrade with 1k 121 or a few months. CA pay is $90K. 2 more 700's coming online. Health insurance paid by company.

Cujo665
11-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Absolutely, if that home based company wasn’t Via.

This guy is a disgruntled former employee that claims they owe him a ton of money, but hasn’t filed a single complaint with the labor department for unpaid wages.

They’re still better than most on how they treat their pilots, but the company is very small and the perpetual mx cancellations make the company look unstable financially. The reality is the owner is extremely deep pockets and there will never be a financial problem until he gets sick of digging into his own pocket. He’s a pilot and fills in in the line too. He likes it. When that wears off, then lookout.

That said, two years or so ago every single plane was down and they didn’t fly for over three months. Everybody got paid.

I enjoyed it there. Good managers (mostly) great coworkers, easy trips, hire basing, no crashpads, airline points, hotel points, crew cars in base. If you live in AUS or SFD/MCO youre doing day trips as everything starts and finishes each day in base... except charters or unscheduled mx.

Cujo665
11-27-2018, 11:12 AM
Check out Elite Airways. Home basing, FO $60K starting salary with 4k annual raise. CASS. upgrade with 1k 121 or a few months. CA pay is $90K. 2 more 700's coming online. Health insurance paid by company.

Who are your jumpseat agreements with? Just being in CASS is meaningless.

Going into other airlines threads trolling for pilots is just wrong on so many levels. Speaks volumes about your place.

Actually, looking at your posting history, you troll for pilots in a bunch of other airline threads...................

Cujo665
11-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Cujo is an unapologetic fan boy doing his best to pump up the classes of a poorly run Via. They can get their time and fill a slot under him at some less poorly run ACMI or charter operation making less subpar wages.

Our starting is well over $100 per hour. Our top step is $20 an hour above United on the same equipment. I donít jumpseat to work. Iím home based. I donít need a crashpad, ever. I fly 25-50 hours a month at most. You go on working yourself to death. Iíll think of you while Iím on the beach someplace warm.... on second thought, I wonít.
Not sure why you have such a hard on for trying to bust my balls, but Iím having a great time, enjoy my job, love my compensation package, and have zero stress associated with commuting or crashpads. The job has become fun again.

Likewise, I enjoyed my stress free time at Via. Hard for you to understand I guess... a pilot being happy at a place where the employers treat them well.

CBreezy
11-27-2018, 01:58 PM
Our starting is well over $100 per hour. Our top step is $20 an hour above United on the same equipment. I donít jumpseat to work. Iím home based. I donít need a crashpad, ever. I fly 25-50 hours a month at most. You go on working yourself to death. Iíll think of you while Iím on the beach someplace warm.... on second thought, I wonít.
Not sure why you have such a hard on for trying to bust my balls, but Iím having a great time, enjoy my job, love my compensation package, and have zero stress associated with commuting or crashpads. The job has become fun again.

Likewise, I enjoyed my stress free time at Via. Hard for you to understand I guess... a pilot being happy at a place where the employers treat them well.

I'm good. I work less than 12 days a month and still make $150+ a year with better pretty much everything else and almost a decade of steps to go....just on this airplane.

I am calling you out because you continually make excuses for Via and appear desperate to help them fill seats. If they were worth what you say they are, the seats would fill themselves.

Cujo665
11-27-2018, 02:25 PM
I'm good. I work less than 12 days a month and still make $150+ a year with better pretty much everything else and almost a decade of steps to go....just on this airplane.

I am calling you out because you continually make excuses for Via and appear desperate to help them fill seats. If they were worth what you say they are, the seats would fill themselves.

These days, no regional seats fill themselves. Every regional and even a few fractional recruiting departments are at every job fair trying to get pilots. I’m not management, not a recruiter, I’ve done the union thing and seen behind the curtain at how badly many regionals treat their pilots. That treatment didn’t happen at Via, and the lack of ready reserve, home basing and no crashpads made the job much more enjoyable. There are much worse places to work at the regional level.

80emb145
11-28-2018, 08:25 AM
This guy is a disgruntled former employee that claims they owe him a ton of money, but hasnít filed a single complaint with the labor department for unpaid wages.

Theyíre still better than most on how they treat their pilots, but the company is very small and the perpetual mx cancellations make the company look unstable financially. The reality is the owner is extremely deep pockets and there will never be a financial problem until he gets sick of digging into his own pocket. Heís a pilot and fills in in the line too. He likes it. When that wears off, then lookout.

That said, two years or so ago every single plane was down and they didnít fly for over three months. Everybody got paid.

I enjoyed it there. Good managers (mostly) great coworkers, easy trips, hire basing, no crashpads, airline points, hotel points, crew cars in base. If you live in AUS or SFD/MCO youre doing day trips as everything starts and finishes each day in base... except charters or unscheduled mx.

Believe it or not, Iím not disgruntled. Iím at a major making great money and enjoy a great QoL. What I am, or am not, is a liar. You are exactly that, a liar. You spread half-truths and try to entice others on inflated BS and I call you out every time with little debate. If everything was so good and pilots were treated great than weíd all be there. What you consider disgruntled, I see it as trying to save people from making the same mistakes.

They owe me my bonus. They owe others their bonus as well. You donít know if Iíve filed a lawsuit. You just donít. Youíre assuming I havenít.

Two summers ago, not all planes were down. Caesars had dropped Via. They were still doing pass flying on a brand new 121 certificate. Pilots were getting checked out 1 by 1. All pilots were being paid because the owner was told if he furloughed, heíd never get one pilot to come back. Do you see the difference between what we both wrote?

I come on this board out of boredom and only reply when I see you continue to spew repetitious bs. Please stop.

Cujo665
11-28-2018, 10:47 AM
Believe it or not, I’m not disgruntled. I’m at a major making great money and enjoy a great QoL. What I am, or am not, is a liar. You are exactly that, a liar. You spread half-truths and try to entice others on inflated BS and I call you out every time with little debate. If everything was so good and pilots were treated great than we’d all be there. What you consider disgruntled, I see it as trying to save people from making the same mistakes.

They owe me my bonus. They owe others their bonus as well. You don’t know if I’ve filed a lawsuit. You just don’t. You’re assuming I haven’t.

Two summers ago, not all planes were down. Caesars had dropped Via. They were still doing pass flying on a brand new 121 certificate. Pilots were getting checked out 1 by 1. All pilots were being paid because the owner was told if he furloughed, he’d never get one pilot to come back. Do you see the difference between what we both wrote?

I come on this board out of boredom and only reply when I see you continue to spew repetitious bs. Please stop.

I’ll debate anything you like. Lawsuits are public record, I’ve seen no filings. I’m glad your out of the regionals also. I wasn’t there two years ago, and explained it as it was explained to me. I’ll query the person who told me again. You could be correct, but I have no way of knowing that. What I won’t do - unlike you - is accuse you of being a liar without knowing all the details.

Regionalguy
11-28-2018, 10:50 AM
Iíll debate anything you like.
Iím glad your out of the regionals also. I wasnít there two years ago, and explained it as it was explained to me. Iíll query the person who told me again. You could be correct, but I have no way of knowing that. What I wonít do - unlike you - is accuse you of being a liar without knowing all the details.

Not sure it matters - They have cancelled all flights for the past few days

Cujo665
11-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Not sure it matters - They have cancelled all flights for the past few days

Not surprised. Nobody going unpaid though either.
Seems to happen about every 8 months. Everybody leaves for better jobs (FlexJet, Fedex, Omni, and Alaska were the most recent).... and the company starts over again.
They treat the line pilots well compared to other regionals, but they are nowhere near as stable a company schedule integrity wise. Plagued by cancellations.

They need to hire more reserve pilots. They really don’t use them, and they need to. Also need to stock more spare parts.

80emb145
11-28-2018, 02:07 PM
I admit that I donít know everything that I speak about and Iíll do my best to stop telling lies.

Fixed it for you.

FLYMIA
11-28-2018, 04:38 PM
Who are your jumpseat agreements with? Just being in CASS is meaningless.

Going into other airlines threads trolling for pilots is just wrong on so many levels. Speaks volumes about your place.

Actually, looking at your posting history, you troll for pilots in a bunch of other airline threads...................

Like I said before man, it's nothing personal. I don't know why you continue to get so upset. You fly for Omni and I think that's great. We both have flown/ i'm currently flying 121 charter. What's strange is your weird attachment to this place considering it's such a sh**hole. You post all these recruiter ish posts about home basing etc.. and how it's the next best LLC which sounds crazy. Via is not and will never be a regional, regardless what your friends in the CP office say. You gave me a link to the website for route structure. Elite not only has more scheduled routes but more aircraft which is crazy considering the majority of our business is NCAA. So I guess i'm confused why you would promote this place when people are trying to find a good place to work. YES, I DO RECRUIT for Elite. The only strange thing is why you think this is a great alternative. I just don't get it. BTW, yes CASS with jumpseat agreements with jetBlue, Frontier, Alaska, Silver. I hope Omni is a good fit for you, and I wish you the best. Honestly, it's not personal, just business.

Cujo665
11-28-2018, 04:38 PM
Fixed it for you.

1st - thatís a falsified quote
2nd - I donít lie, but apparently you do based on your falsified post
3rd - you have no honor

Cujo665
11-28-2018, 04:47 PM
Like I said before man, it's nothing personal. I don't know why you continue to get so upset. You fly for Omni and I think that's great. We both have flown/ i'm currently flying 121 charter. What's strange is your weird attachment to this place considering it's such a sh**hole. You post all these recruiter ish posts about home basing etc.. and how it's the next best LLC which sounds crazy. Via is not and will never be a regional, regardless what your friends in the CP office say. You gave me a link to the website for route structure. Elite not only has more scheduled routes but more aircraft which is crazy considering the majority of our business is NCAA. So I guess i'm confused why you would promote this place when people are trying to find a good place to work. YES, I DO RECRUIT for Elite. The only strange thing is why you think this is a great alternative. I just don't get it. BTW, yes CASS with jumpseat agreements with jetBlue, Frontier, Alaska, Silver. I hope Omni is a good fit for you, and I wish you the best. Honestly, it's not personal, just business.

Elite might be a decent choice too. Don’t know much about them. I do know that other than you and one or two others, I don’t see recruiters trolling in threads of other carriers. Why not start your own Elite thread where guys can ask you questions? When it gets busy enough you can ask for your own page on the profiles.

I worked at a regional where management was abusive; maybe you haven’t had that experience. For guys living in AUS or SFD/MCO Via is a great gig. Home everyday, salary regardless of cancellations, and they treat the pilots better than places like TSA/Envoy/Mesa. If you’re a commuter, there aren’t many regionals offering home basing. It’s pretty significant. They’ve certainly got their issues like many very small companies; but poor treatment wasn’t one of them.
Your place doesn’t sound bad. You should start a thread.

tomgoodman
11-29-2018, 05:42 AM
This thread could be useful to pilots who seek job advice, but it is becoming a pie fight. Any more personal insults will risk infractions and thread closure.

Cujo665
11-30-2018, 11:30 AM
I'm told that Via now has an expanded interline agreement with AA. I'll see if I can get more details.

Cujo665
12-01-2018, 06:04 AM
Interesting article

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-ne-sanford-airport-via-airlines-20181121-story.html

Beeman68
12-03-2018, 04:53 AM
Very Interesting indeed. Having watched VIA's schedule for a few months, I have noticed that they have very few flights scheduled on Saturday if any. Reading that both owners are Israeli, that could explain why. Though most Israeli's I meet could care less about the Sabbath.

Cujo665, did you experience this at your time there? Do the owners actually try to follow the Sabbath for the most part or is it just coincident?

Cujo665
12-03-2018, 03:55 PM
Very Interesting indeed. Having watched VIA's schedule for a few months, I have noticed that they have very few flights scheduled on Saturday if any. Reading that both owners are Israeli, that could explain why. Though most Israeli's I meet could care less about the Sabbath.

Cujo665, did you experience this at your time there? Do the owners actually try to follow the Sabbath for the most part or is it just coincident?

Not really. It’s not a religious thing. They actually have days of the week scheduled with no flying by design. Not enough loads on those days. Their IT guys take all the FAA data and look at connections through mainline hubs to/from SFB and AUS. The pairings with enough volume get direct Via flights, but only on the days of the week with sufficient demand. Typically, Tuesday’s and Saturdays there are no scheduled 121 flights. There are however charters fairly often on those days. The SFB schedules are mostly 2 on 2 off. The AUS ones were more varied. They also scaled back schedules due to staffing rather than make the same mistake they did in the summer of running everybody 6 leg max duty days everyday until you timed out.

amtdr
01-04-2019, 07:56 AM
Does Via Air require EMB-145 captain applicants to meet 121.436(a)(3) minimums?

blueskies27
01-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Can anyone give some insight on the EMB 120 FO position?

mkitrn
02-03-2019, 11:57 AM
Can anyone give some insight on the EMB 120 FO position?

Yeah is this a 135 position? Does Via still hire pilots without ATP?

Cujo665
02-04-2019, 10:34 AM
Yeah is this a 135 position? Does Via still hire pilots without ATP?

E120 is operated under part 135. ATP not needed for the 135 side. E120 and E145 both fly out of Sanford FL (Orlando).

DBono
02-22-2019, 07:49 AM
Any news on Via? I live in AUS, approaching ATP mins and will be starting to apply to regionals soon.

Cujo665
02-23-2019, 02:03 PM
Any news on Via? I live in AUS, approaching ATP mins and will be starting to apply to regionals soon.

They’re still operating. Shoot em your resume and app. Chatted with a few management types a few days ago. Slowly getting better. They certainly treat their pilots better than most, I enjoyed it there. Small company, family atmosphere. They make the typical small company mistakes, but are doing well overall.

pilotguy7
02-27-2019, 08:08 AM
Theyíre still operating. Shoot em your resume and app. Chatted with a few management types a few days ago. Slowly getting better. They certainly treat their pilots better than most, I enjoyed it there. Small company, family atmosphere. They make the typical small company mistakes, but are doing well overall.
Its a dumpster fire. .stay away! They cancel flights every single week on the 121 side in order to do more 135 flying. They will promise you the moon (get everything in writing), you will NOT have a full months schedule. they've been promising this for over a year, and they still dont have that worked out.

On paper, its a great place, in reality, its just bad. We all wanted/want this place to work, but there is a true reason they cant keep pilots. Its sad really! But this is NOT a good place to work. You are NOT salaried . . if you dont work the "required days" then you DONT GET PAID! Even if it is there fault. The only way this place gets better is if 1) Management really wants to change (everything has shown they refuse) 2) pilots dont show up to class, and they are force to deal with better QOL and pay for pilots.

Also, just look them up on any travel review site, and ask yourself if you want to bank your career on this type of an organization?

But to each his/her own.

Wearebroke
02-28-2019, 05:33 AM
They cancel flights every single week on the 121 side in order to do more 135 flying.

Minor correction...they have cancelled, and continued to cancel, scheduled service to run charters on the 145. The 120's haven't flown for a month and rumor is they won't fly for at least another month or longer.

pilotguy7
02-28-2019, 06:00 AM
Minor correction...they have cancelled, and continued to cancel, scheduled service to run charters on the 145. The 120's haven't flown for a month and rumor is they won't fly for at least another month or longer.
Isn't that what I said? But I guess what you are saying is that the charters arent 135 . . which you are correct. They are 121 charters.

Lifesabeech92
02-28-2019, 07:54 AM
on the apc site for via it says:

"Pilots are not paid for training until completion of Indoc/Ground and upon completion of sim (PC/Type ride)."

Is that true??? Not getting paid during training? How does anyone afford that? I really wanna fly for someone out of Orlando, but seems like none of the operators are any good. (besides the obvious jetblue, southwest etc for which im not qualified enough since I have less than 3,000h)

Wearebroke
02-28-2019, 03:15 PM
Isn't that what I said? But I guess what you are saying is that the charters arent 135 . . which you are correct. They are 121 charters.

Yup. We said the same basic thing.

Cujo665
03-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Its a dumpster fire. .stay away! They cancel flights every single week on the 121 side in order to do more 135 flying. They will promise you the moon (get everything in writing), you will NOT have a full months schedule. they've been promising this for over a year, and they still dont have that worked out.

On paper, its a great place, in reality, its just bad. We all wanted/want this place to work, but there is a true reason they cant keep pilots. Its sad really! But this is NOT a good place to work. You are NOT salaried . . if you dont work the "required days" then you DONT GET PAID! Even if it is there fault. The only way this place gets better is if 1) Management really wants to change (everything has shown they refuse) 2) pilots dont show up to class, and they are force to deal with better QOL and pay for pilots.

Also, just look them up on any travel review site, and ask yourself if you want to bank your career on this type of an organization?

But to each his/her own.

Lots to unpack there....

Pilots are salaried. You get paid regardless of any cancellations.

That said, their 121 schedule is overly optimistic and always has been. However, I’ll reiterate that pilots are paid regardless if they sit in the company provided hotels all week or fly all week. The check always came. Sometimes a day early, sometimes a day late, but it always came.

People complain of QOL probably haven’t worked at regionals elsewhere much. Via is easy to work for.

Cujo665
03-01-2019, 01:39 PM
on the apc site for via it says:

"Pilots are not paid for training until completion of Indoc/Ground and upon completion of sim (PC/Type ride)."

Is that true??? Not getting paid during training? How does anyone afford that? I really wanna fly for someone out of Orlando, but seems like none of the operators are any good. (besides the obvious jetblue, southwest etc for which im not qualified enough since I have less than 3,000h)

I believe that’s a typo... they aren’t paid pilot salary rates which start at $50k for FO ($55k if typed) and $78k for street CA’s. I think they’re saying it’s training pay only. I’ll call and ask though.

Edit - just heard from the DO, it’s $100 everyday in the training program, then pilot salary.

pilotguy7
03-02-2019, 05:27 AM
I believe thatís a typo... they arenít paid pilot salary rates which start at $50k for FO ($55k if typed) and $78k for street CAís. I think theyíre saying itís training pay only. Iíll call and ask though.

Edit - just heard from the DO, itís $100 everyday in the training program, then pilot salary.
From the contract
"Initial training pay is a flat rate of $100.00 of per diem per training day upon completion of training. Initial training does not count toward incentive pay. Payment of training pay will be made in two installments, 1st at the successful completion of ground training. 2nd at the successful completion of SIM check ride (Initial qualification for the position). No payment will be received if pilot does not complete the training."
Problem is, if there is a massive lag in training time (which there is) then folks arent being paid that month! It took 6 months for them to get me in a sim!!! (luckily, I was not under the new contract)

pilotguy7
03-02-2019, 05:31 AM
Lots to unpack there....

Pilots are salaried. You get paid regardless of any cancellations.

That said, their 121 schedule is overly optimistic and always has been. However, Iíll reiterate that pilots are paid regardless if they sit in the company provided hotels all week or fly all week. The check always came. Sometimes a day early, sometimes a day late, but it always came.

People complain of QOL probably havenít worked at regionals elsewhere much. Via is easy to work for.
Currently, there are pilots having to beg for full paychecks. You are right, if locally based, it is a great QOL . .really, really good. But there is still no schedule, and now because of the increase in supplemental flying, crews are "on call" , which is not what folks signed up for when getting on board.

This place could be the greatest diamond in the rough, but unfortunately, ownership refuses to allow that to happen. This is why SO many great crews leave every single year.

Lifesabeech92
03-02-2019, 08:03 AM
From the contract
"Initial training pay is a flat rate of $100.00 of per diem per training day upon completion of training. Initial training does not count toward incentive pay. Payment of training pay will be made in two installments, 1st at the successful completion of ground training. 2nd at the successful completion of SIM check ride (Initial qualification for the position). No payment will be received if pilot does not complete the training."
Problem is, if there is a massive lag in training time (which there is) then folks arent being paid that month! It took 6 months for them to get me in a sim!!! (luckily, I was not under the new contract)

so if you're waiting 6 months for the sim ride, you're not getting paid for 6 months? do you have to have your atp to get a call or do they provide the atpctp? it only says atp preferred on the website. living in orlando and working here would be tremendous.

pilotguy7
03-02-2019, 08:59 AM
so if you're waiting 6 months for the sim ride, you're not getting paid for 6 months? do you have to have your atp to get a call or do they provide the atpctp? it only says atp preferred on the website. living in orlando and working here would be tremendous.

That is correct. You would not be getting paid! They have lost many pilots in training because of this. So buyer beware. As of now, they dont have a CTP course. Please remember, this is a cheap organization without a lot of infused cash to operate. Want they really are looking for, is type rated pilots with experience who have proven themselves in a part 121 or 135 operation. This means they wont have to spend as much money in training cost, and they can move folks through faster. The main issue on this is that they are well below the current pay of qualified pilots. So attracting these folks have been very difficult for them, and retaining them, nearly impossible. It will probably be only a matter of time before they are forced to look at lessor experienced crews in order to attract folks. If I were you, I'd go to a good 121, stay there for a year or so, then get on with Jetblue or some place that has a base in Orlando.

Because of the weak training, you really are putting your certificate at risk, because they WILL FORCE YOU to take a check ride before you are ready, or they will just get rid of you. So know you could have that to explain away.

Cujo665
03-02-2019, 10:50 AM
From the contract

Well that is a new change that doesn’t sound good at all. So it is $100 a day in training, but you don’t get it until finishing? Wow.

Cujo665
03-02-2019, 10:58 AM
That is correct. You would not be getting paid! They have lost many pilots in training because of this. So buyer beware. As of now, they dont have a CTP course. Please remember, this is a cheap organization without a lot of infused cash to operate. Want they really are looking for, is type rated pilots with experience who have proven themselves in a part 121 or 135 operation. This means they wont have to spend as much money in training cost, and they can move folks through faster. The main issue on this is that they are well below the current pay of qualified pilots. So attracting these folks have been very difficult for them, and retaining them, nearly impossible. It will probably be only a matter of time before they are forced to look at lessor experienced crews in order to attract folks. If I were you, I'd go to a good 121, stay there for a year or so, then get on with Jetblue or some place that has a base in Orlando.

Because of the weak training, you really are putting your certificate at risk, because they WILL FORCE YOU to take a check ride before you are ready, or they will just get rid of you. So know you could have that to explain away.

Well, there is a difference between being cheap and not having cash. They definately have cash, that isnít and has never been their problem. If you knew anything of the owners other ventures, youíd never question access to cash. Itís a reluctance to spend it, and trying different things at different times to gauge results. They can have experienced 121 guys tell them not to do something, and theyíll still do it to see for themselves. Iíd guess this training pay program wonít last long before they fix it. Just tell them no, you expect to be paid for your time. They seem to be flexible when needed.

pilotguy7
03-02-2019, 12:31 PM
Well, there is a difference between being cheap and not having cash. They definately have cash, that isnít and has never been their problem. If you knew anything of the owners other ventures, youíd never question access to cash. Itís a reluctance to spend it, and trying different things at different times to gauge results. They can have experienced 121 guys tell them not to do something, and theyíll still do it to see for themselves. Iíd guess this training pay program wonít last long before they fix it. Just tell them no, you expect to be paid for your time. They seem to be flexible when needed.
The "OWNER" has cash . . . but he doesn't want to pump it into this venture. Which leads to them to being "cash poor". It doesn't matter how much cash the owner has, if he is not willing to pour it back into the business. Lots and lots of multimillionaires have let business close down, while their bank accounts are plenty full.

Cujo665
03-03-2019, 05:13 AM
The "OWNER" has cash . . . but he doesn't want to pump it into this venture. Which leads to them to being "cash poor". It doesn't matter how much cash the owner has, if he is not willing to pour it back into the business. Lots and lots of multimillionaires have let business close down, while their bank accounts are plenty full.

He spends what he has to. Always has. They learn at their own pace, doing things their way. They've had plenty of experienced 121 professionals telling them best practices; they continue to experiment at doing things their way first.
They aren't going out of business, and the paycheck always comes (sometimes early, sometimes late). The easiest way to look at is you're on duty XX number of days. Just go to work prepared to fly or do something those days, if not, enjoy the paid day off at the hotel.

There are definitely worse companies to work for.

Lifesabeech92
03-03-2019, 06:43 AM

Seems like I'll go to one of the regular Regionals, thanks for the heads up. :D

Cujo665
03-05-2019, 04:29 AM
Currently, there are pilots having to beg for full paychecks. You are right, if locally based, it is a great QOL . .really, really good.

Why isn't it the same for commuters? Other regionals provide 4 hotels a month for commuters; Via provides a hotel everyday. Add the savings to your annual income on that alone.

But there is still no schedule, and now because of the increase in supplemental flying, crews are "on call" , which is not what folks signed up for when getting on board.

Just go to work being prepared to work, if you end up with a paid day off at the hotel (or at home), who cares.... it's not like other regionals, you're salary and get paid the same either way.

This place could be the greatest diamond in the rough, but unfortunately, ownership refuses to allow that to happen. This is why SO many great crews leave every single year.

I do agree that it is aggravating to leave pax stranded the way Via does. I think they try to grow too fast, then end up falling backwards when guys move on to better jobs. They don't really staff reserves in each "base" like they should either which make a sick call cause the loss of a days revenue on that plane.
Lets face it, in this market folks only stay long enough to get the experience to go someplace better. Nobody is planning to make Via a career airline; not even them at this point and they openly admit they should be a stepping stone job, or a place for an older guy that's already had a good career in something else finish of their last few years of 121 time without being abused, stuffed in crashpads, jumpseating to/from work 4-5 times a month. The do have plans to go to larger planes in the future, which is why they are specifically avoiding doing any CPA feed flying for any legacy... the scope clauses would prohibit their growth. That said, when-if that happens Via could become a career airline.... but as of now it's a stepping stone.
There are worse places to be at while waiting for the next job. Most of the guys that have left went to legacy, high paying ACMI, High end Corporate and other career jobs. I can only think of two in two years that left to go to a different regional.... while I can name many who left other regionals to come to Via, and only left when they got their career job.

Cujo665
03-05-2019, 05:07 AM
The main issue on this is that they are well below the current pay of qualified pilots.

Many regionals are hiring street Captains currently. I do not know any starting at $78k salary on the E145. Yes, a few have crazy first year bonus pay, but the second year is pitiful and still makes Via better.

CommutAir - $64 ph
Envoy - $66 ph
Piedmont - $58 ph
ExpressJet - $68 ph
PSA - $65 on a larger CRJ700 no less....

You're limited to 1000 hours a year, so those hourly rates times 1000 is the rough estimate. None of them are close to the $78k a Via street Captain gets without having to juggle schedules to fit in some overtime to bump it up.

The FO scales are similar. Via pays a higher salary with the exception of Republic and Endeavor. The others have a first year bonus that beats Via, but then second year pay becomes a sticker shocker. Hopefully by year three you have enough time at those places to upgrade to Captain.

If you go to another regional for the three years to collect 1,000 121 time, then upgrade you'd be on 4th year pay

Piedmont - $71 ph
ExpressJet - $74 ph
PSA - $73 ph
Envoy - $72 ph
CommutAir - $69 ph

All still below the starting CA pay of $78k salary. I add the salary because that's the guarantee. The guarantee at those other places is actually lower. They guarantee 75 hours of pay a month which is only 900 hours a year, not 1,000. Now, most folks do work OT and make more; but Via gets day off pay also. If you do the math, witht he higher starting salary, even with the OT, you're still ahead and worked less at the end of the year.

You also will not sit on reserve at Via waiting to fly. You'll be flying right out of the gate.

There are pro's a con's at all airlines. Having worked at a few, and been on the Board of Directors at ALPA National I've had a peek behind the curtain at the Quality of Life, treatment by management, internal opportunities at many different airlines. Via treats their pilots better than other regionals, that's fact.

If your goal is to move onto a legacy, Cargo Hauler, or super ACMI, or even a better LCC then Via can be a great stepping stone and here's why. Those places get thousands of applications for every available job. You need to stand out. Being a check airman, a ground instructor, a sim instructor, or even a LOSA guy are all great things that the big airlines and legacies look for in street hires. At Via, you have access to those jobs by just working hard and asking.

Beeman68
03-05-2019, 11:52 AM
Just had a friend get a job offer from Via. He said a quick look at the contract seem to indicate that day off pay doesn't kick in until day 18 and seem to be worded that they could work you 30 days straight. Now mind you he just briefly looked at it at the time of our conversation and didn't have clearafication of his understanding of what he read. He said training pay was $100 a day when completed and payed out in two installments. One after indoc and the other after type ride. He thinks there is great potential there, as someone here said "a diamond in the ruff".

Paid2fly
03-05-2019, 07:23 PM
Just had a friend get a job offer from Via. He said a quick look at the contract seem to indicate that day off pay doesn't kick in until day 18 and seem to be worded that they could work you 30 days straight. Now mind you he just briefly looked at it at the time of our conversation and didn't have clearafication of his understanding of what he read. He said training pay was $100 a day when completed and payed out in two installments. One after indoc and the other after type ride. He thinks there is great potential there, as someone here said "a diamond in the ruff".

"A diamond in the rough", aka a lump of coal...

Cujo665
03-06-2019, 11:38 AM

Have him email them for clarification. They have been known to write one thing that seems like it means X, and then later say no, it meant Y. Get it clarified. When I left it was an 18 day schedule. They only scheduled 16 of the 18. 2 days were at home on long call. I'm told they now actually do 18 day schedules. So, if he reads it that day off pay only comes on days 19 and above, I'd agree.

That said, there have been plenty of times that I got 2 to 4 times the contractual day off pay....
just say nope until they get to the number you need.

I've also heard that recently they've been experimenting (playing games) with not providing any schedule at all... if that's the case; a pilot without a schedule defaults to long call reserve per 117 and the FAA interpretations. So, when you go to bed with no schedule the next day, screen shot it. When they call the next day, inform them you defaulted to long call reserve since you had no assignment. Enjoy the next 10 hours off to rest.

Beeman68
03-08-2019, 06:57 AM
So you were actually able to get more pay for a day off flight other than what is published? Thatís good to know. With their "experimenting" with the schedule has there been any talk of union representation being brought in? According to some on this thread, Via is so abusive to their pilots that they shouldnít even exist. Yet other say they were treated well. I suspect that a small pilot group could have a better relations with the company and effect change that could benefit everyone. I know guys at Allegiant who couldnít wait for a union and still arenít happy now that they have one. But those type of people will complain about everything regardless of how good it is.

DABAviator
03-08-2019, 10:59 AM
What are the minimums for pt135 on the 120? And do they still fly the 120 out of SFB? What's pay and schedule like on it? Thanks

Cujo665
03-08-2019, 11:05 AM
So you were actually able to get more pay for a day off flight other than what is published? That’s good to know. With their "experimenting" with the schedule has there been any talk of union representation being brought in? According to some on this thread, Via is so abusive to their pilots that they shouldn’t even exist. Yet other say they were treated well. I suspect that a small pilot group could have a better relations with the company and effect change that could benefit everyone. I know guys at Allegiant who couldn’t wait for a union and still aren’t happy now that they have one. But those type of people will complain about everything regardless of how good it is.

Too small a pilot group for a union so far. You get what you negotiate. Day off pay being an example. The written job offer contract says one thing..... when they need you on a day off, just decline. Honestly the current day off pay was never worth it; imagine it still isn’t. I had them get to $3,000 for one charter flight once from the northeast to the Dallas area. You could give a pilot a bar of solid gold and many of them will complain they didn’t get two... plenty of those at Via. Grass is always greener types but guys leave to LCC’s, large good paying ACMI, and other significantly better jobs.... very very few leave to go to another regional.... while there are many who’ve left other regionals to go there.
Does Via screw a bunch of stuff up? Yep.
The check always comes, there is a hotel every night, you never need a crashpad, and you’re salary so cancelations don’t effect pay at all. You keep the air miles on deadheads, and the points from hotels. At most RON’s you’ll also have a crew car to use.

chrisreedrules
03-12-2019, 10:22 PM
Many regionals are hiring street Captains currently. I do not know any starting at $78k salary on the E145. Yes, a few have crazy first year bonus pay, but the second year is pitiful and still makes Via better.

CommutAir - $64 ph
Envoy - $66 ph
Piedmont - $58 ph
ExpressJet - $68 ph
PSA - $65 on a larger CRJ700 no less....

You're limited to 1000 hours a year, so those hourly rates times 1000 is the rough estimate. None of them are close to the $78k a Via street Captain gets without having to juggle schedules to fit in some overtime to bump it up.

The FO scales are similar. Via pays a higher salary with the exception of Republic and Endeavor. The others have a first year bonus that beats Via, but then second year pay becomes a sticker shocker. Hopefully by year three you have enough time at those places to upgrade to Captain.

If you go to another regional for the three years to collect 1,000 121 time, then upgrade you'd be on 4th year pay

Piedmont - $71 ph
ExpressJet - $74 ph
PSA - $73 ph
Envoy - $72 ph
CommutAir - $69 ph

All still below the starting CA pay of $78k salary. I add the salary because that's the guarantee. The guarantee at those other places is actually lower. They guarantee 75 hours of pay a month which is only 900 hours a year, not 1,000. Now, most folks do work OT and make more; but Via gets day off pay also. If you do the math, witht he higher starting salary, even with the OT, you're still ahead and worked less at the end of the year.

You also will not sit on reserve at Via waiting to fly. You'll be flying right out of the gate.

There are pro's a con's at all airlines. Having worked at a few, and been on the Board of Directors at ALPA National I've had a peek behind the curtain at the Quality of Life, treatment by management, internal opportunities at many different airlines. Via treats their pilots better than other regionals, that's fact.

If your goal is to move onto a legacy, Cargo Hauler, or super ACMI, or even a better LCC then Via can be a great stepping stone and here's why. Those places get thousands of applications for every available job. You need to stand out. Being a check airman, a ground instructor, a sim instructor, or even a LOSA guy are all great things that the big airlines and legacies look for in street hires. At Via, you have access to those jobs by just working hard and asking.

With bonuses and per diem included, I grossed right under $95K on year 4 CA pay at PSA. And I just counted, 178 days off in 2018. Other pilots mileage may vary, I was hired at a pretty good time and enjoyed rapid movement up the seniority list as the company grew. So results may not be typical, Iím not sure.

Cujo665
03-13-2019, 08:04 AM
With bonuses and per diem included, I grossed right under $95K on year 4 CA pay at PSA. And I just counted, 178 days off in 2018. Other pilots mileage may vary, I was hired at a pretty good time and enjoyed rapid movement up the seniority list as the company grew. So results may not be typical, I’m not sure.

4 year CA pay at Via is $96,500 base salary to show up. That’s without a single day of overtime or playing the schedules to pick stuff up. Without commuting, without being the junior CA and needing a crashpad again, while keeping all your air miles and hotel points.

Oh, and that’s $96,500 salary, not including per diem. Want to include that, it becomes $103,700 for 4th year CA at $600 a month per diem. At $500 a month per diem it would be $102,500 at 4th year.

Plenty of opportunity for overtime, or extra over rides for checkairman or instructor stuff

chrisreedrules
03-13-2019, 10:35 AM
4 year CA pay at Via is $96,500 base salary to show up. Thatís without a single day of overtime or playing the schedules to pick stuff up. Without commuting, without being the junior CA and needing a crashpad again, while keeping all your air miles and hotel points.

Oh, and thatís $96,500 salary, not including per diem. Want to include that, it becomes $103,700 for 4th year CA at $600 a month per diem. At $500 a month per diem it would be $102,500 at 4th year.

Plenty of opportunity for overtime, or extra over rides for checkairman or instructor stuff

Thatís really not bad! How many days off do you average in a month? I have a friend in Orlando thatís interested but doesnít know anyone over there. He wants to (hopefully) be home most nights as he has young kids.

Iím honest with people about recommending places. For what he wants itís hard for me to recommend most regionals. PSA still offers lots of opportunities but it isnít for everyone. Lots of reserve to look forward to for any new hire right now. I told him Allegiant but I donít think he has the quals to be competitive.

Cujo665
03-13-2019, 10:39 AM
That’s really not bad! How many days off do you average in a month? I have a friend in Orlando that’s interested but doesn’t know anyone over there. He wants to (hopefully) be home most nights as he has young kids.

It’s schefuled 12. You’ll get 30 hour breaks during your trip as well, but they aren’t part of the 12 days. The SFB Base is (was) mostly all day trips on the E145. I haven’t been at Via for many months now, but I still stay in touch. If he lives in Base, with RSV days and the inevitable cancellations he’ll be home a lot, including pretty much mostly day trips anyway. If he’s typed on E145 there is (was) a $5k bonus also. If he has significant E145 experience they will hire him as a street CA.
When I was in SFB we did two days of day trips, had one or two days off, then two more days of days trips.... rinse & repeat.
They will DH you over to fly in AUS too. It’s a busier schedule there and not as refined as SFB with jetbridges and GPU everywhere. That’s when you rack up air and hotel points the most. They have a nice condo they use for new hires. Three bedroom 2.5 bath.

Ticon
03-14-2019, 09:54 AM
What are the minimums for pt135 on the 120? And do they still fly the 120 out of SFB? What's pay and schedule like on it? Thanks

500/25ME - they will take a bit lower on ME.

24K starting, cannot comment on the schedule though I believe all is out of SFB now.

Beeman68
03-14-2019, 12:48 PM
4 year CA pay at Via is $96,500 base salary to show up. Thatís without a single day of overtime or playing the schedules to pick stuff up. Without commuting, without being the junior CA and needing a crashpad again, while keeping all your air miles and hotel points.

Oh, and thatís $96,500 salary, not including per diem. Want to include that, it becomes $103,700 for 4th year CA at $600 a month per diem. At $500 a month per diem it would be $102,500 at 4th year.

What about a contract? Heard there is a one year commitment if you have a 145 type or pay 9k upon your early exit. What about those who don't have a type rating? With a growing company, they would want people to stick around to help add stability to their growth plans. Makes sense to me anyways.

Cujo665
03-15-2019, 12:01 PM
What about a contract? Heard there is a one year commitment if you have a 145 type or pay 9k upon your early exit. What about those who don't have a type rating? With a growing company, they would want people to stick around to help add stability to their growth plans. Makes sense to me anyways.

I agree, I donít know what they think theyíre doing with a training contract. Nobody will sign those these days. When I was there it was $5k and I drew a line through it, striking it from the employee contract, dated and initialed it. Hired.

If I already had a type, I wouldnít sign any training contract. Heck, in this environment even if I didnít have the type I wouldnít sign it.

Cujo665
04-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Interesting

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/texas/planes-windshield-shatters-mid-flight-on-jet-chartered-for-texas-oil-field-workers/285-4244ccdf-0500-47ed-9992-63ff7e4abfe7

jonnyjetprop
04-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Interesting

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/texas/planes-windshield-shatters-mid-flight-on-jet-chartered-for-texas-oil-field-workers/285-4244ccdf-0500-47ed-9992-63ff7e4abfe7

Doesn't mean anything one way or the other. Windshields fail on all aircraft types. It must have been a slow news day.

SonicFlyer
04-09-2019, 10:29 AM
Looks like they are cancelling service because of the pilot shortage:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_7f6571e4-5a3e-11e9-9984-278d5ca38635.html

Cujo665
04-10-2019, 10:57 AM
Looks like they are cancelling service because of the pilot shortage:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_7f6571e4-5a3e-11e9-9984-278d5ca38635.html

As Iíve said many times... there currently is no pilot shortage. There is a shortage of pilots willing to leave their current professions for what regionals are offering.

That said, globally we will shortly be entering a period where there physically are not enough pilots for all available positions. We arenít there yet, itís still a pay - work rules - quality of life issue keeping the seats empty. The regionals that are paying, with good rules and working conditions are getting pilots.

SonicFlyer
04-26-2019, 10:16 AM
This was just sent to me they are cancelling flights

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/development/2019/04/25/Via-Airlines-Pittsburgh-International-Airport-Birmingham-Florida/stories/201904250126

Wearebroke
05-10-2019, 05:47 AM
From a former coworker still there..."Missed payrolls, staff laid off, cancelling scheduled service to operate charters. GPWS is screaming. Draw your own conclusions."

Cujo665
05-11-2019, 04:15 AM
From a former coworker still there..."Missed payrolls, staff laid off, cancelling scheduled service to operate charters. GPWS is screaming. Draw your own conclusions."

There seems to have been a change in corporate philosophy, and they do seem to be refocusing a larger effort at supplemental-charter work.

Missed payrolls is new, that was never a problem before. Has it become common or was it a one time blooper?

SonicFlyer
05-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Another article:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/airline-axes-flights-in-austin-due-to-pilot-shortage/1994793250

Wearebroke
05-11-2019, 12:02 PM
There seems to have been a change in corporate philosophy, and they do seem to be refocusing a larger effort at supplemental-charter work.

Missed payrolls is new, that was never a problem before. Has it become common or was it a one time blooper?

Was told they've missed payroll twice now in the last month. One was a day late and the other was a few days late.

Watch the tails. They're flying charters.

Cujo665
05-12-2019, 08:01 AM
Was told they've missed payroll twice now in the last month. One was a day late and the other was a few days late.

Watch the tails. They're flying charters.

Thatís unfortunate. Sorry to hear it. They had treated their pilots better than other regionals and I hoped to see them prosper.

Iíve heard of things like training pay accumulated but held and paid at the end of ground school, then again after Sims. That is just unacceptable by any standard and is likely a major cause of their recruiting problem.

SonicFlyer
05-25-2019, 07:30 AM
I think they have shut their doors:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-via-airlines-falters-20190524-s6pp2f372zaxxnziszsxb43xou-story.html

SonicFlyer
05-30-2019, 10:14 AM
Not paying their bills apparently:

https://www.newschannel10.com/2019/05/29/via-air-stops-all-services-amarillo-airport-effective-immediately/

SonicFlyer
05-31-2019, 11:18 AM
https://simpleflying.com/via-air-last-route/

TransWorld
05-31-2019, 06:52 PM
Is the fat lady singing?

zondaracer
06-01-2019, 09:52 AM
This looks familiar. Nearly every collapse of a carrier looked identical in recent history.

SonicFlyer
06-05-2019, 10:28 AM
https://www.bamapolitics.com/29505/mobile-flyers-here-are-some-scenarios-for-future-orlando-direct-flights/

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1