Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

airplane401
06-07-2018, 05:59 AM
I'm currently a CFI at a busy flight school building 100 hours per month. I have 550 hours so far and just saw that Air Wisconsin has a program where you can apply to with just 500 hours called the Airman Trainee Program. Has anyone have experience with this program? Should I just wait till I have 1,500 hours and apply to various regionals instead? Apparently the Airman Trainee program comes with benefits, but I'm sure you have to commit to working with Air Wisconsin the moment you become a trainee.

SkychickenFO
06-07-2018, 06:37 AM
It’s a pretty cool program in my opinion. They fly you out for the interview which is just a short written and HR interview. There’s also a company presentation and Q/A type thing. Buy you lunch and pay you 100$. If accepted you take a drug test and fill out forms. Once the background check passes you go to orientation and get flight benefits and all that setup. You call them once a month and update your hours and they pay you a little bit and you get to use the benifits which is pretty cool. No obligation to fly for AWAC after but it is helpful to see the company in a bit more depth then just one interview allows. Everyone at AWAC has been great in my experience so far and you really can’t lose by taking part in the program. Let me know if you have other questions!

EhV8R
06-07-2018, 08:41 AM
If accepted into the program, would you be required to interview again if you chose to work for Air Wisconsin upon reaching ATP minimums?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RabidW0mbat
06-07-2018, 11:19 AM
If accepted into the program, would you be required to interview again if you chose to work for Air Wisconsin upon reaching ATP minimums?

No, once you hit your minimums (1000/1250/1500) you'd go right to your ATP-CTP course before Indoc.

BeechV35
06-07-2018, 11:45 AM
My understanding is:

There is no commitment to them unless you utilize them for your ATP training (ground school and simulator).

There is another interview to become a first officer. Each month you are supposed to call in to update your hours and watch an online video. Those videos will help prep you for the interview.

Hope that helps.

LiftVector
06-08-2018, 03:35 AM
As far as I understand you only have to do the FO technical interview before getting atp ctp and class date

EhV8R
06-08-2018, 08:06 AM
Cool, thanks for the prompt replies!

FlywithTej
06-08-2018, 03:41 PM
Has anyone here attended the Airman Trainee Program interview recently? I have a couple questions, if I can message someone about it.

IFlyImPilot
06-15-2018, 09:09 AM
As far as I understand you only have to do the FO technical interview before getting atp ctp and class date

As long as you have the CJO/Get hired, you have completed the HR interview and so long as you apply and want the FO position when you have the hours, they will set you up with an over the phone technical interview.

sar1
06-21-2018, 05:15 AM
Keep us posted if you do it, I'm looking to do it as well as I finally got over 500. Going to get a 1st class today.

sar1
07-09-2018, 04:10 PM
How did it go? I'm headed to interview on Thursday at IAD. Thanks

acam
07-11-2018, 05:51 AM
Anyone interviewing next week at ORD?

sar1
07-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Just did the interview and was offered position as Trainee, any questions feel free to send them my way.

acam
07-19-2018, 10:52 AM
How long does the background check normally take after the post-interview offer?

SkychickenFO
07-19-2018, 05:28 PM
How long does the background check normally take after the post-interview offer?

Hopefully faster than they used to since AW isn't using sterling anymore. Maybe 3 weeks?

PassportPlump
07-22-2018, 05:23 AM
So my wife goes to get her hair cut the other day. Her friend cuts her hair. And her friend says “I just started dating a guy who is a pilot from United, he lives in Kansas City and is about to move.”

I ask a few questions. Turns out he is in the airman trainee program at ZW. Pro tip; don’t be that guy that goes and tells your Tinder girls that you’re a United pilot when you’re in the airman trainee program at a regional.

Grumbletrousers
07-22-2018, 12:37 PM
So my wife goes to get her hair cut the other day. Her friend cuts her hair. And her friend says “I just started dating a guy who is a pilot from United, he lives in Kansas City and is about to move.”

I ask a few questions. Turns out he is in the airman trainee program at ZW. Pro tip; don’t be that guy that goes and tells your Tinder girls that you’re a United pilot when you’re in the airman trainee program at a regional.

Couple of months ago there were stories of a flight instructor dressing in uniform—including epaulettes— trying to get rides in the Jumpseat around ORD.

There are some weird people out there. Always check credentials.

youkhan
08-16-2018, 05:40 PM

Took me one month from doing the interview to getting a date for new hire training.

Flygirl32
09-03-2018, 04:15 PM
Just did the interview and was offered position as Trainee, any questions feel free to send them my way.

I have a bunch of questions as I will be interviewing for the same position at IAD on the 5th.

SilentLurker
09-26-2018, 10:34 AM
Couple of months ago there were stories of a flight instructor dressing in uniform—including epaulettes— trying to get rides in the Jumpseat around ORD.

There are some weird people out there. Always check credentials.

Yes, Check credentials which is last line of defense. What happened to 1st Line of prevention? How they get past TSA, The Gate Agent, the Listing Process & CASS??? I don’t see how that was/or is possible.

Last line of defense checking ALL credentials @ the jump request should always be last line of validation.

Still don’t see how hey got past TSA, the gate agent, etc...

Care to share? Or was it a Rumor?

Was it a TSA Random Check????? They will & could dress up as Flight Crews (FA’s & Pilots).

dera
10-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Yes, Check credentials which is last line of defense. What happened to 1st Line of prevention? How they get past TSA, The Gate Agent, the Listing Process & CASS??? I don’t see how that was/or is possible.

Last line of defense checking ALL credentials @ the jump request should always be last line of validation.

Still don’t see how hey got past TSA, the gate agent, etc...

Care to share? Or was it a Rumor?

Was it a TSA Random Check????? They will & could dress up as Flight Crews (FA’s & Pilots).

Get past TSA? The "trainees" get an Air Wisconsin ID, which gets you past TSA at any US airport.

IFLYACRJ
10-02-2018, 05:14 AM
Get past TSA? The "trainees" get an Air Wisconsin ID, which gets you past TSA at any US airport.

Does their ID say CREW on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dodsqubam
10-02-2018, 05:33 AM
[QUOTE=IFLYACRJ;2684396]Does their ID say CREW on it?

No, it says Airman Trainee. They told us it’s good practice to carry it with us (not wear it) and that we definitely couldn’t jumpseat. I guess some people don’t listen very well.

dera
10-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Does their ID say CREW on it?

Doesn't technically have to for a gullible TSA agent. Their requirement is "Transportation Worker ID", if it looks like an aircrew ID, it might be accepted.

Av8tor8710
10-15-2018, 04:50 PM
Just completed the AT interview. Anyone with questions is welcome to DM.

mkbenz
10-19-2018, 02:51 PM
To those looking at the AT program - be careful accepting "flight benefits." Got a pretty big bill for unused benefits after I decided to choose another carrier. If you don't plan on sticking with AW, I wouldn't elect for the travel. :mad:

bamike
10-19-2018, 08:02 PM
To those looking at the AT program - be careful accepting "flight benefits." Got a pretty big bill for unused benefits after I decided to choose another carrier. If you don't plan on sticking with AW, I wouldn't elect for the travel. :mad:

Unless you signed anything that says you would repay, they have no legal grounds to bill you for it. It's probably just a scare tactic, don't pay them a dime.

squib
10-19-2018, 08:51 PM
Unless you signed anything that says you would repay, they have no legal grounds to bill you for it. It's probably just a scare tactic, don't pay them a dime.

It’s taxable benefits just like current full time employees get charged for their “annual buddy riders” or whatever you want to call it. Read the fine print in the first place and you won’t get sticker shock later.

bamike
10-19-2018, 09:27 PM
It’s taxable benefits just like current full time employees get charged for their “annual buddy riders” or whatever you want to call it. Read the fine print in the first place and you won’t get sticker shock later.

Taxable means that they include imputed income in your w2 on the value of the flights. That would happen regardless of whether you quit or not. He’s saying he got a bill to repay the company, which is completely different from paying income tax to the IRS on the value of the flights. Hopefully he can clarify if he owed AW money or the IRS.

Flaps8posrate
10-20-2018, 07:34 AM
I’m always suspicious of the motivations of first time posters making negative comments or assertions.

mkbenz
10-20-2018, 08:09 AM
The IRS and I are good. I realize taxable value, I just didn’t expect a collections notice and threatening letter about my credit score over unused flight benefits. I get the “first post” cautionary tale, but I agree with the above, the fine print is where the vulnerability lies.

CubWrangler
10-20-2018, 02:55 PM
I might also be planning on leaving the AT program. Could you clarify a little bit more on being charged for unused benefits? I've only utilized them 3 or 4 times. How do you think that would affect me, and how much money are we talking? I know they take out 35 bucks or whatever a month until the cost of the program is paid off (a few hundred dollars IIRC). I'm fairly certain I'm fully paid on that front.

IFlyImPilot
10-20-2018, 05:14 PM

Is this the money that you had to pay into the system for the benefits, or something more on top?

It was advertised as $50 for you, plus $50 for each enrolled family member, plus an additional $200 if you added a "second friend".

mkbenz
10-21-2018, 05:10 AM
I can’t find the original invoice; however, the total for annual travel benefits was in the realm of $630 - I was an AT for maybe 7 months? They deducted the monthly payroll amount, which extends for 18 months. Received a bill for $370. This is money on top of paying for each additional family member passholder.

I’m not here to talk down about any company, but my experience thus far in this industry has been predicated on people looking out for one another. That’s what makes aviation so special. Aspiring professions, we’re strapped for cash as it is, the last thing you need is an “opportunity” coming with a bill.

Swakid8
10-21-2018, 05:53 AM
Word of advice for anyone, I wouldn’t elect into flight benefits unless you are are certain you joining an airline for sure. I was a AT, but passed on the travel benefits and elected to go elsewhere.

Stoked27
12-23-2018, 07:44 AM
Taxable means that they include imputed income in your w2 on the value of the flights. That would happen regardless of whether you quit or not. He’s saying he got a bill to repay the company, which is completely different from paying income tax to the IRS on the value of the flights. Hopefully he can clarify if he owed AW money or the IRS.

Does imputed income come into play for any non-rev flights even once employed as a FO? I'm not talking about commuting, but using travel benefits for personal reasons.

Also, for anything that is counted as imputed income based on the value of the flights, how are those 'values' determined? Last minute high ticket prices? Is a standard fare estimated per flight?

N3165P
12-24-2018, 07:37 PM
This may not be the forum to ask, but, as a pilot do you get to keep the points from the hotels that you overnight in?

DarkSideMoon
12-24-2018, 08:40 PM
This may not be the forum to ask, but, as a pilot do you get to keep the points from the hotels that you overnight in?

Usually not as an airline pilot. Most corporate fractional jobs you can.

Av8tor8710
02-07-2019, 06:24 PM
Can anyone shed some light on the technical phone interview, what to review/study other than brief an approach? Thanks in advance.

K92plane
02-08-2019, 12:01 AM
Can you be more specific? Are you asking for when you’re transferring to the FO ?

Study the charts, rules and regs etc. you should be good !

Av8tor8710
02-08-2019, 05:20 AM
Can you be more specific? Are you asking for when you’re transferring to the FO ?

Study the charts, rules and regs etc. you should be good !

Yep, when I’ve hit the magic number and I’ll be transferring to FO training.
I appreciate the help!

RabidW0mbat
02-08-2019, 08:58 AM

It really depends on the hotel. I ask, some say yes, some say no.

stroopwaffle
02-08-2019, 05:34 PM
It’s mostly NO because you didn’t pay for the room. Very few do, but there’s no harm in asking.

DarkSideMoon
02-08-2019, 06:20 PM
It’s mostly NO because you didn’t pay for the room. Very few do, but there’s no harm in asking.

Not to mention it’s likely specifically excluded when they negotiate the nightly rate. The company is paying a super discounted bulk corporate rate and the hotel doesn’t want to give anything else away for free.

Flaps8posrate
02-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Not to mention it’s likely specifically excluded when they negotiate the nightly rate. The company is paying a super discounted bulk corporate rate and the hotel doesn’t want to give anything else away for free.

Yes in ATL, received the points.

DarkSideMoon
02-08-2019, 06:59 PM

Neat. It’s like maybe 10% of the hotels on the line. Depends on hotel management and the deal they inked with the company. Might get a free night or two a year if you get lucky, definitely won’t get any high tier statuses.

K92plane
02-09-2019, 06:46 PM

I never see Awi here in ATL I would kill to be able to fly our metal out

Study the approach charts. Know the IFR rules and regs I swear you’ll be fine.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1