Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Allegiant or spirit and why

C37AFE
06-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Coming up on 1000 121 hrs and looking to make a move. Pros/cons of the two would be appreciate. I like the out and back schedule of allegiant but if I end up making this last stop spirit retirement looks better

Der Meister
06-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Do you live or want to live in a G4 base? If yes then G4 is the way to go. Do you want to me home most every night and not do overnights? If yes then G4.

Do you live in an NK base or want to? If yes then go to NK. Do you want to commute to work and do overnights? If yes then NK

ecam
06-10-2018, 10:54 PM
Coming up on 1000 121 hrs and looking to make a move. Pros/cons of the two would be appreciate. I like the out and back schedule of allegiant but if I end up making this last stop spirit retirement looks better

Making life decisions based on forum advice is always a good idea.

You said in April that you had just left the military and had gotten your first Class 1 medical in December. You were looking for a regional job. Then you showed up at TSA. You got your 1000 121 pretty fast!

You should definitely look at Spirit.

So I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2015 while in the military. In 2017 they had me reevaluated and said it was just snoring. A second opinion concurred that is was snoring. I applied and received a class 1 submitting this documentation back in December. I have since applied for VA disability and submitted the sleep apnea studies.

I am looking at getting on at a regional. As of hiring and my next medical I will not have my disability claim from the VA. My concern is while my last 2 visits say it's snoring. What is the correct route if the VA awards sleep apnea. Seems like a catch-22 bind. Do I let airline know while in training? MedExpress asks if you have a disability. I don't want to fly "with a known medical condition" and lose license/job over it. However, the diagnosis is snoring....I know I can get a special issuance, but won't that ground med for a few months.... I use CPAP once in a while but not at required VA rates.

Thoughts.

C37AFE
06-11-2018, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the advice. How would you to know that I flew for a regional pre 9/11 while in the reserves and then went active duty after being furloughed? But that is how I have the hours.....(had 867)

ecam
06-11-2018, 08:25 AM
Sorry if I judged but so many trolls and posers here, especially with low post counts.

To give you a serious answer, Allegiant is a pretty decent job if you don't like being gone a lot. It may take you a while to get your desired base but once you do you will probably enjoy it.

ShyGuy
06-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Do you live or want to live in a G4 base? If yes then G4 is the way to go. Do you want to me home most every night and not do overnights? If yes then G4.

Do you live in an NK base or want to? If yes then go to NK. Do you want to commute to work and do overnights? If yes then NK

Choosing an airline with ~15 bases for just specifically one particular base is a great way to set up disappointment for a long term career.

9easy
06-11-2018, 08:01 PM
NK retirement is only a few % more and based on pattern bargaining, it's only a matter of time when G4 gets the same. You want a great schedule, but layovers at the Philly Holiday Inn during the winter, and tons of redeyes? Goto NK. You want day trips or plenty weeks of very little flying on reserve, sitting at home twiddling your thumbs, (at least in the smaller bases) then goto G4.

sqwkvfr
06-12-2018, 06:47 AM
NK retirement is only a few % more and based on pattern bargaining, it's only a matter of time when G4 gets the same.

Nope, no, no, no.

A direct contribution retirement benefit is superior in so many ways to a match, both in overall compensation and IRS treatment. Saying that Spirit’s retirement is “only a few % more” is a gross understatement.

The second part of your post is correct, but it could easily be five or more years before we see a DC retirement benefit on par with industry standard.

This alone is a good enough reason for me to tell everyone who asks to go to Spirit. Their superior work rules and pay are icing on the cake.

disco inferno
06-12-2018, 07:58 AM
Nope, no, no, no.

A direct contribution retirement benefit is superior in so many ways to a match, both in overall compensation and IRS treatment. Saying that Spirit’s retirement is “only a few % more” is a gross understatement.

The second part of your post is correct, but it could easily be five or more years before we see a DC retirement benefit on par with industry standard.

This alone is a good enough reason for me to tell everyone who asks to go to Spirit. Their superior work rules and pay are icing on the cake.

Does this mean we suck again?

sqwkvfr
06-12-2018, 08:49 AM
Does this mean we suck again?

Haha! Well, I’m still here with no plans to leave, but this and Jetblue’s deal have certainly made it seem as if we are moving in that direction.

310skying
06-12-2018, 09:14 AM
If working one day a month and living in the outdoor recreation wonderland that is the PNW is sucking... then I'm fine with that. Now if we can just get an actual PBS vendor, a 2 hour reserve call out (its steelhead season and the good rivers are just little too far), and DC for retierment this place would be perfect.

The Ocho Libre
06-12-2018, 09:41 AM
I would go to Spirit. Less likely to be shut down and more likely to be merged with a legacy.

9easy
06-13-2018, 01:38 PM
A DC contribution is nice but there is almost no reason that someone should not be putting at least 5% of their income into their 401k. (Which gets you the 10% company match.) The only other thing superior at NK and the legacies is when you hit the IRS tax maximums, although a new hire won't need to worry about that for a while. The big earners at G4 however, are losing out a lot on this.

JustWatching
06-13-2018, 06:37 PM
I would go to Spirit. Less likely to be shut down and more likely to be merged with a legacy.

Less likely to be shut down....lol. We’ve only been continually profitable for about 11, 12, maybe 13 years now.

westwind1
06-14-2018, 12:28 PM
NK retirement is only a few % more and based on pattern bargaining, it's only a matter of time when G4 gets the same. You want a great schedule, but layovers at the Philly Holiday Inn during the winter, and tons of redeyes? Goto NK. You want day trips or plenty weeks of very little flying on reserve, sitting at home twiddling your thumbs, (at least in the smaller bases) then goto G4.

lol holiday inn?

Hang em High
06-14-2018, 01:47 PM
Can I get a load check on Allegiant 454 tomorrow morning June 15th to OKC. Also I tried to list of MyIDtravel and it would not allow me. Can I still list at the gate if their availability.

Thank you :)

The Ocho Libre
06-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Less likely to be shut down....lol. We’ve only been continually profitable for about 11, 12, maybe 13 years now.

The shutdown I refer to has nothing to do with profitability.

dutch rudder
06-14-2018, 03:16 PM

This is a good time to post this link. Give it a thorough read, Ocho. You may find it enlightening.

Is Allegiant a Safe Airline? ? Using Data to Review 60 Minutes? Conclusions ? Visual Approach (http://visualapproach.io/is-allegiant-a-safe-airline-using-data-to-review-60-minutes-conclusions/)

LoFly
06-14-2018, 03:37 PM

What does it have to do with then? I mean, to SHUT DOWN a company that consistently makes good money you better have some veeeeeeery valid reasons

hyde
06-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Rumors of furloughs floating around because the company wants to reduce the number of pilots per aircraft. Even if they don't furlough (which I don't think they will) I would avoid G4 if you have any other option. We may be in for a rough time here soon. Many are saying the "S" word because of the company's refusal to follow the CBA. Personally, if I wasn't in the top half of seniority and/or over 40 I'd be packing my bags

JustWatching
06-14-2018, 04:07 PM

Well, if you had a clue, you would know it would have nothing to do with safety either. Clearly you have no clue.

JustWatching
06-14-2018, 04:09 PM
Can I get a load check on Allegiant 454 tomorrow morning June 15th to OKC. Also I tried to list of MyIDtravel and it would not allow me. Can I still list at the gate if their availability.

Thank you :)

139 of 156 booked. Can’t answer the listing question.

The Ocho Libre
06-14-2018, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=dutch rudder;2614576]This is a good time to post this link. Give it a thorough read, Ocho. You may find it enlightening.

I read it and like the report. I wish it was seen by more people.

The Ocho Libre
06-14-2018, 04:41 PM
Well, if you had a clue, you would know it would have nothing to do with safety either. Clearly you have no clue.

I didn't even say it had to do with safety smart guy. Man talk about going 0 to 60. Something tells me you have a temper management problem.

The Ocho Libre
06-14-2018, 06:01 PM
What does it have to do with then? I mean, to SHUT DOWN a company that consistently makes good money you better have some veeeeeeery valid reasons

Probably not even valid but my concern is public perception of safety. Finances don't matter if we have any incident or accident that validates the 60M episode. No other airline in the United States is being watched more closely than us. We have to be flawless compared to our competitors many of which land on taxiways, wrong runways and even wrong airports and it barely makes the news if at all. We cant even divert to an alternate in bad weather without the news on the case.

Captainbfv
06-14-2018, 07:01 PM
This is a good time to post this link. Give it a thorough read, Ocho. You may find it enlightening.

Is Allegiant a Safe Airline? ? Using Data to Review 60 Minutes? Conclusions ? Visual Approach (http://visualapproach.io/is-allegiant-a-safe-airline-using-data-to-review-60-minutes-conclusions/)

Dude. Did you really use the same user name from Flight info? [emoji23] love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dutch rudder
06-14-2018, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=Captainbfv;2614741]Dude. Did you really use the same user name from Flight info? [emoji23] love it

I don’t even know what that means.

tyler durden
06-14-2018, 08:23 PM

Of the people I know here, Ocho is probably the most unbiased, informed and insightful. JMO

symbian simian
06-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Probably not even valid but my concern is public perception of safety. Finances don't matter if we have any incident or accident that validates the 60M episode. No other airline in the United States is being watched more closely than us. We have to be flawless compared to our competitors many of which land on taxiways, wrong runways and even wrong airports and it barely makes the news if at all. We cant even divert to an alternate in bad weather without the news on the case.

Since SWA landed at the wrong airport in 2014 (and that definitely made the news) they have operated over 5 million flights to the right airport. That would take allegiant over 100 years at the current fleet size.
Since Delta landed on taxiway Mike in 2009 (all over the news) they have operated over 17 million flights that landed on a runway. That would taken over 350 years at the current fleet size.

Haven't heard of any legacy carrier using a fuel emergency to land at an airport that was notam-ed closed.

In 2015 allegiant had 10 times as many mechanical diversions per flight as SWA.

I am really not surprised there is some watching going on.

crxpilot
06-14-2018, 10:11 PM
Rumors of furloughs floating around because the company wants to reduce the number of pilots per aircraft. Even if they don't furlough (which I don't think they will) I would avoid G4 if you have any other option. We may be in for a rough time here soon. Many are saying the "S" word because of the company's refusal to follow the CBA. Personally, if I wasn't in the top half of seniority and/or over 40 I'd be packing my bags

The PBS Committee will meet with the Company for the purpose of reviewing and selecting a Preferential Bidding System (PBS) vendor, including the consideration of the current in-house solution.

I dont know why people want to overlook this little tidbit in the contract. Thats their ace up the sleeve.

CAirBear
06-15-2018, 03:43 AM
The PBS Committee will meet with the Company for the purpose of reviewing and selecting a Preferential Bidding System (PBS) vendor, including the consideration of the current in-house solution.

I dont know why people want to overlook this little tidbit in the contract. Thats their ace up the sleeve.

It’s really pretty simple. When the current garbage honors seniority and preferences (in a legitimate manner) it can be considered.

I have no clue wtf the company really thinks is going to happen. We’re just going to go away and stop talking about it? Ummm no. The only reason we got denied a strike over scheduling the last time was because it wasn’t viewed as operating under a CBA.

This time. Good luck. This BS needs to end now.

JustWatching
06-15-2018, 06:08 AM
Of the people I know here, Ocho is probably the most unbiased, informed and insightful. JMO

Thanks for that.

JustWatching
06-15-2018, 06:13 AM
I didn't even say it had to do with safety smart guy. Man talk about going 0 to 60. Something tells me you have a temper management problem.

Not at all. I just don’t like the uniformed and that’s how you came off. Apologies for being harsh.

I think in today’s day and age of cell cameras and instant news, everything is newsworthy these days. We’re not the only ones who are under the microscope. I think it’s safe to say we’re not tops on the radar by anyone other than maybe the Tampa Bay crap of a paper and the ABC station in Vegas. There’s only so many dirty restaurants that lady can report on, so we’re next.

We have to flawless because of where we fly, not because of the news media or FAA perceptions.

Macjet
06-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Not at all. I just don’t like the uniformed and that’s how you came off. Apologies for being harsh.

I think in today’s day and age of cell cameras and instant news, everything is newsworthy these days. We’re not the only ones who are under the microscope. I think it’s safe to say we’re not tops on the radar by anyone other than maybe the Tampa Bay crap of a paper and the ABC station in Vegas. There’s only so many dirty restaurants that lady can report on, so we’re next.

We have to flawless because of where we fly, not because of the news media or FAA perceptions.

Are you stating that there isn't a problem at G4?

JustWatching
06-15-2018, 02:54 PM
Are you stating that there isn't a problem at G4?

Which problem are we talking about? Do I think we have a safety issue... absolutely not. Do I think we have things to improve on... absolutely. Am I looking forward to the 80s leaving the fleet... absolutely. Do I think the issues the 80s are having are dangerous to our crews and customers... absolutely not.

I would be more leery to fly in the exit row or near it on SWA than on a G4 airplane.

We have issues.... we’re not unsafe

symbian simian
06-15-2018, 06:35 PM

Maybe you should be looking for a place where people can wear whatever they want

(sorry)

Big E 757
06-15-2018, 09:29 PM
Maybe you should be looking for a place where people can wear whatever they want

(sorry)

That was a bit of a head scratcher, but I finally got it. :)

jegermeister
06-16-2018, 05:56 AM
Haven't heard of any legacy carrier using a fuel emergency to land at an airport that was notam-ed closed.

SWA did it last year in Pittsburgh during the air show. MCO to PIT diverted to AGC.

The Ocho Libre
06-16-2018, 11:27 AM
Since SWA landed at the wrong airport in 2014 (and that definitely made the news) they have operated over 5 million flights to the right airport. That would take allegiant over 100 years at the current fleet size.
Since Delta landed on taxiway Mike in 2009 (all over the news) they have operated over 17 million flights that landed on a runway. That would taken over 350 years at the current fleet size.

In 2015 allegiant had 10 times as many mechanical diversions per flight as SWA.

I am really not surprised there is some watching going on.

Valid points. Great points actually, so let me take a step back from the flawed comparison.

My overall attempted point here then is that, Delta "all over the news" is much less significant to Delta than Allegiant all over the news. So we have to be nearly flawless by comparison to avoid bad public perception, and we haven't been good enough up to this point although thankfully we are improving.

For that reason alone but there are more, I would go to Spirit before Allegiant as it stands today. If improvements continue that may change. Only time will tell.

The Ocho Libre
06-16-2018, 11:28 AM

Thanks man no worries.

The Ocho Libre
06-16-2018, 11:29 AM

Thanks Tyler, feelings mutual.

symbian simian
06-16-2018, 06:51 PM
SWA did it last year in Pittsburgh during the air show. MCO to PIT diverted to AGC.

Yeah, that doesn't really negate my point. Allegiant pressed on and landed at their closed destination, because( as I remember, correct me if I am wrong) by the time they realized the destination was closed as planned and published in notam, they did not have the fuel to divert.

symbian simian
06-16-2018, 06:57 PM
Valid points. Great points actually, so let me take a step back from the flawed comparison.

My overall attempted point here then is that, Delta "all over the news" is much less significant to Delta than Allegiant all over the news. So we have to be nearly flawless by comparison to avoid bad public perception, and we haven't been good enough up to this point although thankfully we are improving.

For that reason alone but there are more, I would go to Spirit before Allegiant as it stands today. If improvements continue that may change. Only time will tell.

I think you are absolutely right, I always feel (at NK) we are one major crash away from being shutdown, whereas DL/UA/AA can plant one right in the suburbs (after tearing of the tail for instance) and happily keep going. The history of valujet shows it. Also if you look at the60min data for the more current time frame Allegiant is very comparable with all the legacies, it just takes the public perception a long time to catch up.

labbats
06-17-2018, 05:53 AM
ValueJet went out of business but their pilots became AirTran and then Southwest pilots. Not too shabby. A shutdown isn’t a de facto job loss.

The other point is indeed negated as it is rife with backstory you just aren’t privy to if not hired at Allegiant prior to 2015 or so. (I hope you enjoyed my use of big words too.)

JustWatching
06-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Yeah, that doesn't really negate my point. Allegiant pressed on and landed at their closed destination, because( as I remember, correct me if I am wrong) by the time they realized the destination was closed as planned and published in notam, they did not have the fuel to divert.

Wrong. The airport was not closed to 121. Research the NOTAM. The crew handled the situation incorrectly, but the controller was disciplined in the end.

symbian simian
06-17-2018, 01:57 PM
Wrong. The airport was not closed to 121. Research the NOTAM. The crew handled the situation incorrectly, but the controller was disciplined in the end.

The other point is indeed negated as it is rife with backstory you just aren’t privy to if not hired at Allegiant prior to 2015 or so.

Well, I guess I got one thing right. Perception is everything since the general public still thinks they flew to a closed airport without enough fuel to go somewhere else....

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1