Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : SWA hiring

prspilot
06-10-2018, 10:48 PM
Heyas, figured I would attempt to make the jump to the airlines. I noticed I just missed the app window at SWA. You guys think there will be another before the year is out? I would like to get my resume into that stack of billions already there.

Ohlsan
06-10-2018, 11:45 PM
I would ASSUME that they will open a window on the 16th to correspond with their career fair. They have done so in the past.

Auburngrad2007
06-12-2018, 09:41 AM
I am prior military and with a regional 121 carrier, building time. Is there anyone on board with SW that wouldn't mind reviewing my resume to make sure the content and format are consistent with their likings. I hear too many different techniques that I am afraid I am gonna be outside looking in.

Thanks for your help.

PhantomHawk
06-13-2018, 04:08 PM
I am prior military and with a regional 121 carrier, building time. Is there anyone on board with SW that wouldn't mind reviewing my resume to make sure the content and format are consistent with their likings. I hear too many different techniques that I am afraid I am gonna be outside looking in.

Thanks for your help.

https://checkedandset.net

Itís worth paying a professional service to do that.

flensr
06-16-2018, 09:10 AM
careertakeoff.com has resume and application review services, plus interview prep. Worth the money, no question about it.

Ronin47
06-17-2018, 08:47 PM
I would ASSUME that they will open a window on the 16th to correspond with their career fair. They have done so in the past.

Next window is June 18-28th.

Kapitanleutnant
06-18-2018, 06:38 PM
Just as an fyi... I went in for my 9 month board and happen to ask the chief about hiring. He mentioned August would be the last month of hiring for the year as we have the quota. Just what he mentioned....

Kap

Cysco4120
06-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Just as an fyi... I went in for my 9 month board and happen to ask the chief about hiring. He mentioned August would be the last month of hiring for the year as we have the quota. Just what he mentioned....

Kap

Do you mean no more interviews after August or no more classes? Either way I would take that with a huge grain of salt. The latest hiring numbers were just updated on Jun 12th. 756 new hires approved for the year.

Number of classes planned each month (26 per class)
July 3
August 2
September 2
October 3
November 2
December 1

Again not doubting that is what he told you just not sure it is real accurate.

Skyward
06-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Kap

I was told in my leadership training recently that the number of newhires had been increased this year from the original number, and there would be 3 more classes added. Classes would run through Dec.

I have always been told that there is no quota for the current year, but they canít hire for they next year until the budget for that year is approved.

Salukidawg
06-18-2018, 08:04 PM
I was told in my leadership training recently that the number of newhires had been increased this year from the original number, and there would be 3 more classes added. Classes would run through Dec.

I have always been told that there is no quota for the current year, but they can’t hire for they next year until the budget for that year is approved.

They’re nuts then. We have never been more over staffed than we are right now. At the height of the Summer flying schedule and there is barely any open time in either seat, let alone premium. Hiring that many going into the Fall and Winter will be ugly not just for those of us already on property, but for new hires as well. I like to see new hires just like everyone else, but only when they are actually warranted.

Smooth at FL450
06-18-2018, 08:51 PM
Theyíre nuts then. I like to see new hires just like everyone else, but only when they are actually warranted.

Why do you think they arenít warranted? We tend to view things through a straw...

Proximity
06-19-2018, 06:06 AM
Theyíre nuts then. We have never been more over staffed than we are right now. At the height of the Summer flying schedule and there is barely any open time in either seat, let alone premium. Hiring that many going into the Fall and Winter will be ugly not just for those of us already on property, but for new hires as well. I like to see new hires just like everyone else, but only when they are actually warranted.

We're gonna be just like a real airline now. You'll fly your awarded line value and like it. Unfortunately the B-scale for FOs with less than 5 years on property will continue.

Are they still touting to new hires that SWA has never furloughed?

Psycho18th
06-19-2018, 08:07 AM
Isnt hiring something you have to lead by a long time for any growth to happen? They have to over staff in the short term, so longer term growth doesnít leave airplanes sitting. Hire a bunch of newbies, get the ETOPS training going, then ramp up the captain upgrades, then add more airplanes, routes, redeyes. Seems like a planning process to me, and a stack of new FOs is the cheapest and longest lead time part of the puzzle.

dawgdriver
06-19-2018, 08:34 AM
Theyíre nuts then. We have never been more over staffed than we are right now. At the height of the Summer flying schedule and there is barely any open time in either seat, let alone premium. Hiring that many going into the Fall and Winter will be ugly not just for those of us already on property, but for new hires as well. I like to see new hires just like everyone else, but only when they are actually warranted.

From what i gather, open time has dried up in the right seat but the bulge has yet to work its way through the snake to the left seat. Once that happens wait for the fireworks. Not a problem until it affects captains.

Salukidawg
06-19-2018, 09:18 AM
From what i gather, open time has dried up in the right seat but the bulge has yet to work its way through the snake to the left seat. Once that happens wait for the fireworks. Not a problem until it affects captains.

Iím a Captain and it has worked itís way to the left seat as well. We are over staffed in both seats. Thatís what Iím trying to say. This hiring is nothing more than changing Pilot behavior WRT the open time flying system. For every premium trip awarded there are at least three trips awarded at straight time in every base and every seat. We may be hiring for future grow, but there has been a fundamental change in manning that weíve never had before. We are staffing a LCC like a Legacy carrier with one fleet type. That was never the business model WN was based on, and it devalues every Pilotís earning potential both on property and future new hires as well.

ANGFlight81
06-19-2018, 10:57 AM
I highly doubt we are changing our staffing principle. There will be roughly 50 more planes on property by the end of the year, Hawaii will require additional pilots/equipment. Has anyone been to the new training center? They didnít spend that money to be over staffed. As pilots itís always ďme me me!!!Ē Take a step back, realize the airline isnít here for you; youíre here for them and see what happens.

NikeBuddy
06-19-2018, 04:47 PM
Look at the monthly open time for July! Nothing but some open reserve. Dry dry dry. :confused:

RJSAviator76
06-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Look at the monthly open time for July! Nothing but some open reserve. Dry dry dry. :confused:

ELITT is gonna be fun next month...

NikeBuddy
06-19-2018, 05:13 PM
No one will bother. No need!

flensr
06-19-2018, 09:59 PM
No one will bother. No need!

What, nobody wants to TTGA my 18 TFP reserve block for their 31 credit 4-day?

Caveman
06-19-2018, 10:58 PM
ANG I think the lightbulb will illuminate for you and others that think the manning is a non issue, when you're unable to do anything with your sked but fly your awarded line, because everything will be locked up so tight.

I agree once it grinds the CA side of things to a halt it'll suddenly be an issue everyone cares about.

Until then Flag Ties & Muffins for the win.

ANGFlight81
06-20-2018, 03:03 AM
ANG I think the lightbulb will illuminate for you and others that think the manning is a non issue, when you're unable to do anything with your sked but fly your awarded line, because everything will be locked up so tight.

I agree once it grinds the CA side of things to a halt it'll suddenly be an issue everyone cares about.

Until then Flag Ties & Muffins for the win.

This is a rather ignorant post. Re-read the post; as someone else posted ďyouíre really looking at things through a strawĒ

Salukidawg
06-20-2018, 05:12 AM
This is a rather ignorant post. Re-read the post; as someone else posted ďyouíre really looking at things through a strawĒ

Well through my straw, Iím looking at being down over 20K from this time last year and I live in base. Iím not looking at it through just my straw, Iím seeing this system wide in both seats. I know, I know, stop being so selfish and greedy. Letís just continue to hire till we furlough like our competitors over the years.

Cysco4120
06-20-2018, 06:51 AM
Well through my straw, Iím looking at being down over 20K from this time last year and I live in base. Iím not looking at it through just my straw, Iím seeing this system wide in both seats. I know, I know, stop being so selfish and greedy. Letís just continue to hire till we furlough like our competitors over the years.

There is probably a happy medium somewhere. I wouldnít panic yet. I donít mind one bit them getting ahead on staffing. It was just two summers ago the reroutes, extensions and JAís were out of control. They have already made it clear that reserve coverage was headed to 15%. With Etops training, LAX opening, increased vacation weeks and another 30 airframes coming this year maybe they are just planning ahead. Every other airline group on this board is complaining how the company dropped the ball and they are short staffed. You are correct though that if guys could only fly their line it would be a huge quality of life hit. The ability to trade with Elitt and change your line is priceless. There are plenty of trips in TTGA but no one wants to fly at straight time. I agree. If I fly extra I want it at premium. On the other end though there are many pilots in both seats that clear their schedules and are not flying anything that isnít premium. Anything less than 200 TFP in the summer months and they canít survive. We created it and to have that ability is awesome but to depend on it is just not realistic.

Like I said I get both sides of the issue but before we say this is how it is going to be maybe just let it play out a bit more. Iíve only been here 10 years but the staffing in those 10 years has been all over the place.

rightseat
06-20-2018, 08:57 AM
The only part of rapid expansion that cannot be hidden is pilot staffing and training capacity. I truly do not believe Southwest is changing their unrelying pilot staffing model but rather preparing for an expansion which cannot be announced until the staffing and staffing support is in place. It is FAR cheaper for them to pay premium time than to have additional pilots on property. The next couple years will tell the tale.

Smooth at FL450
06-20-2018, 11:17 AM
The only part of rapid expansion that cannot be hidden is pilot staffing and training capacity. I truly do not believe Southwest is changing their unrelying pilot staffing model but rather preparing for an expansion which cannot be announced until the staffing and staffing support is in place. It is FAR cheaper for them to pay premium time than to have additional pilots on property. The next couple years will tell the tale.

This! In the meantime, those that have been enjoying their large servings of cake will just have to make do with a little less. And even that isn't a certainty...summer is still young!

ZapBrannigan
06-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Speaking of LAX... will that just be on the September bid? So itíll come out sometime in July?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sqwk7700
06-20-2018, 01:53 PM
...summer is still young!

Summer doesnít even start until tomorrow!

Squallrider
06-21-2018, 07:11 PM
Already employed. Curious where I can find out what most junior FO is seniority wise currently in MDW. Heard itís on SWAPA?

at6d
06-21-2018, 08:42 PM
Already employed. Curious where I can find out what most junior FO is seniority wise currently in MDW. Heard itís on SWAPA?

Employed at SWA? Itís in CWA under the reports tab.

Salukidawg
06-21-2018, 09:02 PM
New Vacancy just released for August. 86 First Officers. 0 Captain Upgrades. That tells me that things are about to come to a grinding halt soon. The 86 First Officers are for those already in training that will need a domicile position when they finish training. With no upgrades on the horizon, it would appear that hiring may slow significantly for the remainder of the year.

e6bpilot
06-21-2018, 09:21 PM
Dear lord baby Jesus.
You guys freak out like my kids when I take their phones away.
As mentioned above, pilot hiring is a long lead time growth indicator. Gary Kelly is the cheapest MFer on the planet and he is not hiring pilots to keep from paying time and a half 6 months of the year or JA pay for a handful of weeks. That is pennies compared to putting new pilots and their families health insurance on the payroll 12 months a year.
Step back from the mirror for a minute and consider that maybe, just maybe, the airline knows what they are doing and that the staffing model that has served us well over 4 decades will continue once airframes and routes catch up.
In the meantime, this too shall pass. I agree we are overmanned right now, especially on the FO side, but it wonít last forever.
I am a big open time guy, so I am feeling your pain. I just donít see a need to panic while this works itís way out.

at6d
06-21-2018, 10:25 PM
New Vacancy just released for August. 86 First Officers. 0 Captain Upgrades. That tells me that things are about to come to a grinding halt soon. The 86 First Officers are for those already in training that will need a domicile position when they finish training. With no upgrades on the horizon, it would appear that hiring may slow significantly for the remainder of the year.

I moved up 13 numbers in PHX for July.

Squallrider
06-22-2018, 03:51 AM
In schoolhouse. Upgrades slowing for etops. July is one class for new hires, picks up in August, still about 250-300 new hires to come this year.

RckyMtHigh
06-22-2018, 04:27 AM
I would just like to see a net zero that is not zero for more than a millisecond. Have trips actually taken in ttga. Maybe have the ability to drop to reserves in the next contract.

I know. Wrong company for those that want to work less, not more.

Smooth at FL450
06-22-2018, 06:10 AM

You crack me up! You do realize that the company just had 400 potential candidates come to Dallas last weekend and that there's an application window open this week? Still think hiring is slowing?

Salukidawg
06-22-2018, 06:40 AM
You crack me up! You do realize that the company just had 400 potential candidates come to Dallas last weekend and that there's an application window open this week? Still think hiring is slowing?

Yes I do. Add content.

e6bpilot
06-22-2018, 06:42 AM
I would just like to see a net zero that is not zero for more than a millisecond. Have trips actually taken in ttga. Maybe have the ability to drop to reserves in the next contract.

I know. Wrong company for those that want to work less, not more.

Net zero was 1 for around an hour last night on HOU FO side. I am out of trips to trade, but there were plenty of trips and time to trade them. I suspect it stayed that way because folks are avoiding July overlap.

Smooth at FL450
06-22-2018, 07:00 AM
Yes I do. Add content.

As of June 12, SWAPA is projecting 262 new hires AUG-DEC, 140 upgrade slots and 126 CA Vacancies.

1 data point does not make a trend.

Proximity
06-22-2018, 08:11 AM
As of June 12, SWAPA is projecting 262 new hires AUG-DEC, 140 upgrade slots and 126 CA Vacancies.

1 data point does not make a trend.

This is what I was just about to post.

July captain vacancies were planned to be low, so that fact they decided to just make it zero doesn't mean hiring is coming to an end. In fact, it just reinforces that their plan is to keep the FO side really fat.

PropPiedmont
06-22-2018, 08:12 AM

Yet they show a July 9th upgrade class. Maybe upgrades arenít stopping.

Expect a class of 14 in July, then 28 per month through the end of the year. Historically, SWA never runs upgrade classes during the summer. This year has been different in that regard.

Caveman
06-22-2018, 11:55 AM
E6, I appreciate your posts on here. I agree, sky is not falling, and the over hiring is definitely 1st world, and part of a bigger plan. Like most, hope the bigger plan maintains leaner manning flexibility/productivity that SWA is known for. There's no plan i can see for a big bump in block for the fall flying until Turkey weekend. It'll be interesting too see when the trend reverses.

Can I have my phone back now. Please.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Icaruss
06-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Does anyone know the dates for new hire classes in August?

c17heavy
06-22-2018, 01:20 PM
Does anyone know the dates for new hire classes in August?

I believe 14 and 28 August.

Harvey
06-22-2018, 09:59 PM

First you need to understand what a vacancy is actually telling you before you freak out. The vacancy announcement refers to growth or shrinkage in each category and domicile. There was zero growth for Captains. There will still be at least one upgrade class to replace Captains that retired.

HwkrPlt
06-23-2018, 10:39 AM
I am so happy that applying and re applying to SWA is so simple. If I never get hired, at least I didn't spend hours updating my application(s)

saab2000
06-24-2018, 10:30 AM
I am so happy that applying and re applying to SWA is so simple. If I never get hired, at least I didn't spend hours updating my application(s)

It is impossible for me to guess how many hours I spent on resumes and updating with other major airlines. Suddenly the magic e-mail appeared from one of them and it happened to be SWA, ironically the one upon which I spent the least amount of time applying and updating.

Cast a wide net. I am really enjoying my time here at SWA and have been here now almost 17 months but when I was looking they were all attractive compared to my life flying CRJs for so many years. Crickets for years then seemingly out of nowhere it happened.

Hang in there and keep trying. I had practically given up hope after attending multiple career fairs through the drought of the 2000s and early 2010s and thought my expiration date had passed me by but here I am, pretty darn happy even though this wasn't where I expected to end up. Keep at it and find a way to make yourself (even) more attractive. I left my regional, took a huge pay cut and made the associated major lifestyle changes, and did a year at another operator of 737s. I'm sure this was crucial but only one other person in my class had a type rating and time on type, so it's hardly the only thing that mattered. I think taking the risk of leaving a senior position at a regional to start over meant something. And it was a kind of high risk move given the company in question. No regrets. I think making myself stand out, in a good way, was very important. It demonstrated initiative and I think they really like that here.

Just my observation on my own journey and a word of encouragement to keep at it.

ZapBrannigan
06-26-2018, 06:14 AM
Window was supposed to close on the 28th, now has been extended to 7/2.

Posted by one of the interview prep companies on social media.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PotatoChip
06-26-2018, 06:53 AM
Window was supposed to close on the 28th, now has been extended to 7/2.

Posted by one of the interview prep companies on social media.

Very interesting. Hard to imagine they did not get enough applicants.

Snooter
06-26-2018, 09:54 AM
Very interesting. Hard to imagine they did not get enough applicants.

They got my application and Iím still waiting for a call...

mm1989
06-26-2018, 05:41 PM
Will SWA be accepting resumes at the Ninety Nines conference in Philly next week? Trying to decided if itís worth going to or not.

06-26-2018, 06:40 PM
They sent out another round of "the application window is now open" emails today..

AFSOCFlyr
06-26-2018, 08:46 PM
They got my application and Iím still waiting for a call...

Is there any way to actually review your application on icims?

Super EZ E
06-27-2018, 01:44 AM
Is there any way to actually review your application on icims?

If you meet the requirements it will automatically send an invite for interview. I filled it out and 48hrs later got the email for interview. Same with a good friend, he filled it out and same story within 48hrs the interview email was sent. Try to check all the boxes. Captain, Jet PIC and I think these are the most important. Check Airmen and/or Examiner. If you go to SWA you're going to fly your ass off. Plus no upgrade. Have you seen the 737 cockpit? Why does it still take 2 hands to start the engine? LOL good luck...

Auburngrad2007
06-27-2018, 04:52 AM
So notifications of an interview happen after the window closes or immediately. I am prior military but i miss the mark on total time. Any chance they still consider me for an interview or will it be a firm no?

QUOTE=Super EZ E;2622861]If you meet the requirements it will automatically send an invite for interview. I filled it out and 48hrs later got the email for interview. Same with a good friend, he filled it out and same story within 48hrs the interview email was sent. Try to check all the boxes. Captain, Jet PIC and I think these are the most important. Check Airmen and/or Examiner. If you go to SWA you're going to fly your ass off. Plus no upgrade. Have you seen the 737 cockpit? Why does it still take 2 hands to start the engine? LOL good luck...[/QUOTE]

Smooth at FL450
06-27-2018, 05:50 AM
Why does it still take 2 hands to start the engine? LOL good luck...

Just curious, how does it take you 2 hands to start the engine? My left hand is able to both turn the start switch AND left the cutoff lever...leaving my right hand free for other activities, like feeding my face with pistachios. Starting engines is so hard...

ZapBrannigan
06-27-2018, 06:21 AM
Just curious, how does it take you 2 hands to start the engine? My left hand is able to both turn the start switch AND left the cutoff lever...leaving my right hand free for other activities, like feeding my face with pistachios. Starting engines is so hard...

True. But if he is arguing about the (lack of) modernity of the 737 who can say he is wrong?

After you start you have to manually put the generators online..

You have to manually take the packs off of the APU and put them on the engine bleeds.

You have to manually turn on the nacelle anti ice... and the ice detector is a windshield wiper nut?!

There no EICAS, so if you get a master caution you have to go on an Easter egg hunt to locate the light on the overhead.

Sucker is an antique.

GreatStory
06-27-2018, 06:21 AM

Think he is at spirit flying the bus and is just doesn't know the 73.

Smooth at FL450
06-27-2018, 07:01 AM
True. But if he is arguing about the (lack of) modernity of the 737 who can say he is wrong?

After you start you have to manually put the generators online..

You have to manually take the packs off of the APU and put them on the engine bleeds.

You have to manually turn on the nacelle anti ice... and the ice detector is a windshield wiper nut?!

There no EICAS, so if you get a master caution you have to go on an Easter egg hunt to locate the light on the overhead.

Sucker is an antique.

No argument there. Just think that 30 seconds of manual labor is made to sound so terrible.

at6d
06-27-2018, 08:43 AM
I filled it out and 48hrs later got the email for interview. Same with a good friend, he filled it out and same story within 48hrs the interview email was sent.... If you go to SWA you're going to fly your ass off. Plus no upgrade. Have you seen the 737 cockpit? Why does it still take 2 hands to start the engine? LOL good luck...

Why did you apply? You obviously donít want to work here.

I like antiques.

06-27-2018, 11:45 AM
If you meet the requirements it will automatically send an invite for interview.

That's a ridiculous statement. There are thousands of qualified applicants who have submitted their apps and have been [patiently?] waiting for a call through many hiring cycles.

PotatoChip
06-27-2018, 12:09 PM
That's a ridiculous statement. There are thousands of qualified applicants who have submitted their apps and have been [patiently?] waiting for a call through many hiring cycles.

99.9% sure he is heavily joking.

Swingline78
06-27-2018, 11:16 PM
If you meet the requirements it will automatically send an invite for interview. I filled it out and 48hrs later got the email for interview. Same with a good friend, he filled it out and same story within 48hrs the interview email was sent. Try to check all the boxes. Captain, Jet PIC and I think these are the most important. Check Airmen and/or Examiner. If you go to SWA you're going to fly your ass off. Plus no upgrade. Have you seen the 737 cockpit? Why does it still take 2 hands to start the engine? LOL good luck...

Pretty glad you don't work here. Sounds like the interview worked as intended. With both hands.

RJSAviator76
06-28-2018, 05:31 AM
Plus no upgrade.

Thatís right! Upgrade time is 25 years for someone starting today, and thatís in OAK. 30 years in MCO and 34.5 in ATL. Iím hoping that LAX base upgrade time will get down to around 24 years.

But, and thereís a YUGE but...

What you also may not know is that Southwest, always being the cost-cutting innovator, is experimenting with having 2 FOís up front instead of a captain thereby making upgrade times even longer. [emoji12]

Proximity
06-28-2018, 07:23 AM
What you also may not know is that Southwest, always being the cost-cutting innovator, is experimenting with having 2 FOís up front instead of a captain thereby making upgrade times even longer. [emoji12]

Not sure if I agree with your predictions, the construction of Holiday Inns and Hyatt Places located in remote business parks is up 225% this year which suggest Southwest is about to expand massively. This should happen right around the time the yellow peanuts come back into season.

ANGFlight81
06-28-2018, 08:07 AM
Lol. These posts are getting funny. What are our upgrades time at? Last I heard it keeps falling but Iím too lazy to be productive and look it up, Iíd rather troll here. Lol

at6d
06-28-2018, 09:09 AM
I think I saw a 9 year guy had got the bid.

RJSAviator76
06-28-2018, 09:18 AM
Just looking at the hiring numbers and plans, that number should get down to about a 6 year mark.

ANGFlight81
06-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Just looking at the hiring numbers and plans, that number should get down to about a 6 year mark.

Thatís about what Iíve been hearing 😃

at6d
06-28-2018, 12:39 PM
You mean six from today?

barabek
06-28-2018, 12:47 PM
Out of curiosity, what class dates are new hires getting nowadays? I think there was a CP review board today or yesterday. Did anyone who got a phone call ask what class to expect? Asking for a friend.

RJSAviator76
06-28-2018, 01:29 PM
You mean six from today?

For people hired in 2014-2017 timeframe, 6 years on the property... thatís my prediction.

GreatStory
06-28-2018, 03:38 PM
Out of curiosity, what class dates are new hires getting nowadays? I think there was a CP review board today or yesterday. Did anyone who got a phone call ask what class to expect? Asking for a friend.

1-3 days. tell your "friend" to chill (for 3 days)

ZapBrannigan
06-28-2018, 04:21 PM
For people hired in 2014-2017 timeframe, 6 years on the property... thatís my prediction.

The first 2014 hires reach year 5 in about 6 months. In the junior bases theyíre bidding around 40%-45% right now.

barabek
06-28-2018, 05:22 PM
1-3 days. tell your "friend" to chill (for 3 days)

The friend hasn't interviewed yet. Just curious in case he is successful, how long do people wait for classes nowadays? I've been on the property for several years, in case you're suggesting I'm the "friend". That's all, no impatience, just curiosity.

Woodbourne23
06-28-2018, 06:43 PM
Approaching 7 years and Iím 900/1900 numbers away with bypassers. Lax will almost certainly be junior. 6 years junior is a stretch, but you never know

flensr
06-28-2018, 06:46 PM
The friend hasn't interviewed yet. Just curious in case he is successful, how long do people wait for classes nowadays? I've been on the property for several years, in case you're suggesting I'm the "friend". That's all, no impatience, just curiosity.

Recently, 8 weeks. Plus-minus 3 weeks depending on how quick the new hire chooses their class date and if they volunteer for earlier dates to fill spots that open up.

BigWillyCapt
06-28-2018, 07:09 PM
A friend of mine got the call yesterday. During his interview they told him to expect September class dates. They are running fewer classes July and August too I guess. But, yeah, it depends on what the people who got the call select and how fast they fill up. I would expect if the hiring picks up again in the fall like they predict the classes will be pretty quick. In my interview class the first dates available were about a month from date of interview. Some of the guys in my actual newhire class showed up less than a week from DB call. That was from earlier this spring/summer.

barabek
06-28-2018, 07:15 PM
Thanks for informative responses. I appreciate it!

flyguy81
06-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Approaching 7 years and Iím 900/1900 numbers away with bypassers. Lax will almost certainly be junior. 6 years junior is a stretch, but you never know

We also haven't gone past 2008 hires for upgrades. From 2008-2010 we didn't hire anybody. From 2010 to 2013 we hired a few hundred. If hiring/upgrades continue at the current pace and barring any unforeseen environmental issues (age 70, another 9/11, recession) upgrades will drop. At least by 2 yrs overnight once the 2008 hurdle is cleared.

bodean
06-29-2018, 01:20 PM
Good Crew hotel in OAK?

CA1900
06-29-2018, 02:17 PM
Good Crew hotel in OAK?

I like the Radisson. It's a little more than the Days and others nearby, but they'll do a 4pm check-out just for the asking, and they have an on-site restaurant, so you don't have to walk out into gangland to get something to eat. About $92 booked at CrewTel (http://www.crewtel-usa.com/oak-airport.html). Note that the king rooms face the parking lot, and the double queen rooms face the courtyard, which is quieter.

Icaruss
06-30-2018, 12:07 AM
Anyone starting new hire class sometime in August?

HiFlyer992
07-06-2018, 07:29 PM
I have applied in the last 2 windows. My availability at the time I applied was Spring 2019. That has recently changed to Fall 2018. Is there a way to change my availability date for the most recent window?

Smooth at FL450
07-07-2018, 01:25 PM
I have applied in the last 2 windows. My availability at the time I applied was Spring 2019. That has recently changed to Fall 2018. Is there a way to change my availability date for the most recent window?

Yes, just change it within your Pilot Credentials profile. That earlier availability will help. Can almost promise that Spring 2019 date would get you passed over until a later date...

btodd77
07-07-2018, 01:43 PM
Yes, just change it within your Pilot Credentials profile. That earlier availability will help. Can almost promise that Spring 2019 date would get you passed over until a later date...

We were told at the job fair that any availability outside of 6 months gets passed over.

tm602
07-13-2018, 06:10 PM
I like the Radisson. It's a little more than the Days and others nearby, but they'll do a 4pm check-out just for the asking, and they have an on-site restaurant, so you don't have to walk out into gangland to get something to eat. About $92 booked at CrewTel (http://www.crewtel-usa.com/oak-airport.html). Note that the king rooms face the parking lot, and the double queen rooms face the courtyard, which is quieter.

What about the airport Hilton for old times sake?:D

CA1900
07-13-2018, 06:28 PM
What about the airport Hilton for old times sake?:D

Hey, it was the first place I checked! But my cheapness won out. :D

Alaska73guy
07-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Does anyone know how long after an interview your references will be contacted if they are considering the applicant?

BigWillyCapt
07-18-2018, 07:05 PM
I think it's roughly a week. The DB is usually about 1.5-2 weeks out on a Wednesday. Your references should be called by the end of the week prior in my experience.

Icaruss
07-20-2018, 11:02 AM
How far out from class do you get the onboarding email?

MudhammedCJ
07-20-2018, 12:58 PM
Looks like only one class in September.

Skyward
07-20-2018, 05:43 PM
Looks like only one class in September.

Bummer. How many planned for August?

holygrail
07-20-2018, 09:25 PM
Changing things a bit.....

Haven’t posted on this website in years and new to this thread.

I’m a corporate guy who spent a total of 14 years at 2 different airlines prior to accepting my corporate job. It’s been a good deal for me but I’m thinking of jumping back into the airlines gig as pay/ benefits/ qol seems to be far better than when I left. I’m thinking SWA would be my first choice as it seems like a great place to work where everyone gets along and is treated with some respect. I actually interviewed there a few years back and got a 737 type at Higher Power Aviation. Unfortunately, I was not hired that time. So I’m curious if my observations of SWA are actually true.

Are most employees happy there?
What is the junior base?
How long would it take for a new hire to bid/hold Denver?
Would it be possible for a 49 year old to ever upgrade?
Could I reasonably bid for partial weekends or some holidays off?

Could someone please explain the pay “sliders” on APC airline profiles.

How much per year could I reasonably expect to make each year (on average) until I top out as an FO?

Any info helps!

Thanks in advance.

HAPPYY
07-21-2018, 07:59 AM
Hey guys,

anyone shed some light on what kind of planes southwest flys? I'm currently in the middle east coming back home to the states as my contract is up and a buddy of mine told me about southwest and to check it out as they are desperate for pilots?

I was just seeing what the natural progression to fly heavy equipment international with southwest and how long it takes one to get on a heavy.

Also what the benefits package look like? I was told it was a couple notches better than most of the feeder carriers, which is good, but I'd hope to gain more information on retirement, healthcare, longterm disability etc.

thanks in advance all,

fly safe!

RJSAviator76
07-21-2018, 08:07 AM
Hey guys,

anyone shed some light on what kind of planes southwest flys? I'm currently in the middle east coming back home to the states as my contract is up and a buddy of mine told me about southwest and to check it out as they are desperate for pilots?

I was just seeing what the natural progression to fly heavy equipment international with southwest and how long it takes one to get on a heavy.

Also what the benefits package look like? I was told it was a couple notches better than most of the feeder carriers, which is good, but I'd hope to gain more information on retirement, healthcare, longterm disability etc.

thanks in advance all,

fly safe!

Trolling much?

HAPPYY
07-21-2018, 08:18 AM
Trolling much?

trolling? not sure what the means, but no... Just looking for some guidance here...

Peacock
07-21-2018, 08:28 AM
Hey guys,

thanks in advance all,

fly safe!

You seem very knowledgeable about commercial aviation in the US. Another good source:

www.google.com

RJSAviator76
07-21-2018, 08:31 AM
trolling? not sure what the means, but no... Just looking for some guidance here...

Yep... just like on JetBlue or Kalitta boards? :rolleyes:

It's easy to search your posts. Seriously man, trolling is old...

HAPPYY
07-21-2018, 08:55 AM
Yep... just like on JetBlue or Kalitta boards? :rolleyes:

It's easy to search your posts. Seriously man, trolling is old...

but its to much fun!

itsmytime
07-21-2018, 08:56 AM

Since you want to play games, Iíll play along:

The 777 is junior at SWA. You should hold it right out of training. Great overnights in LHR, and CDG. The 787 and A350 deliveries start in 2019 and 2020, so that could change some things.

Hope this helps.

at6d
07-21-2018, 10:00 AM
I wish we could change up the first class/crew meals. The other day my fillet salad was a little dry.

MG386
07-21-2018, 02:18 PM
but its too much fun!

Fixed it for ya!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Proximity
07-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Will we "set zeros" in the A350? With actual cabin temperature readings, what change in temperature correlates to "put another log on the fire"?

TransWorld
07-21-2018, 04:30 PM
Hey guys,

anyone shed some light on what kind of planes southwest flys?

SWA flies DC-3s and are scheduled to get some Ford Tri-Motors.

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/major-national-lcc/southwest_airlines

Excargodog
07-21-2018, 06:03 PM
SWA flies DC-3s and are scheduled to get some Ford Tri-Motors.

Untrue. Those are NOT Ford Trimotors. They are Junkers 52s, surplus to Lufthansa requirements....

TransWorld
07-21-2018, 06:17 PM
Untrue. Those are NOT Ford Trimotors. They are Junkers 52s, surplus to Lufthansa requirements....

I am confident I saw SWA just took delivery of a Fokker F-10 tri-motor (the kind Knute Rockne flew in). As a matter of fact as I was landing, I exclaimed to my FO, “I have that little Fokker in my sights!”

hoover
07-21-2018, 08:46 PM
I thought we all flew f-15s

tanker
07-22-2018, 04:41 AM
From what I hear in the training center the new RJs are going to the new LAX base

Caveman
07-22-2018, 05:33 AM
I thought we all flew f-15sThose are primarily based in PHX.

The advanced 717 FANS ADSB WAAS LPV Synthetic Vision EVAS birds with superior pay, work rules, and operating practices are going to based in ATL.

HAPPYTUG
07-22-2018, 07:18 AM
Wait? Yaíll have 777ís now? When did this happen?

Warhawg01
07-22-2018, 05:06 PM
First five aircraft delivered last week. Got the new ďSouthwest to EuropeĒ paint scheme and everything. Saw one in the hangar in Dallas when I was back there for training. Gonna be great.

ROFF
07-22-2018, 08:49 PM
Ya, a big ďSowsvestĒ on da side.

flensr
07-23-2018, 01:11 AM
Dig around in the training filesystem and you'll find a folder and database labeled "787"... Just sayin.

Squallrider
07-24-2018, 04:51 AM
Anyone know how long reserve is in MDW?

WHACKMASTER
07-24-2018, 05:20 AM
Anyone know how long reserve is in MDW?

On the 737 or 777?

Squallrider
07-24-2018, 06:34 AM
On the 737 or 777?

777 duh and only to Europe I donít want anything else

Hampton
07-25-2018, 05:12 AM
And the troll wins...

av8or
07-28-2018, 09:57 AM
And the troll wins...

😂😂😂 Just became most entertaining thread on APC!🥃🥃

NotMrNiceGuy
07-29-2018, 07:29 AM
https://www.inc.com/bill-murphy-jr/southwest-airlines-just-made-a-bold-announcement-and-no-other-airline-will-even-try.html?cid=hmpopface1

SrfNFly227
07-30-2018, 05:49 AM
Bringing this thread back to hiring news. Does anybody know of any recent interview invites?

French3Holer
07-30-2018, 08:01 AM
Bringing this thread back to hiring news. Does anybody know of any recent interview invites?

I don't have that information but I just had a 6 month leadership training event with Senior Management who came in and said there is a planned hiring slowdown this fall for ETOPS spool up and training footprint, but the hiring is going according to plan(or slightly above). He said ending the year at the 750+ mark for hiring this year.

Hows that for a run-on sentence???

Proximity
07-31-2018, 06:24 AM
So there were still 3 classes in July...anyone know what class dates have been offered for August and September?

crazy daisy
07-31-2018, 01:49 PM
Applied last window around 6/20, received invite last week with interview date third week of August.

Auburngrad2007
07-31-2018, 02:09 PM
Anyone know of the next SWA conference or expo?

HiFlyer992
08-02-2018, 09:58 PM
For people who have gotten the call for an interview, how long before your availability date has it been?

saab2000
08-03-2018, 01:07 AM
So it appears that even after rumors of a hiring freeze that hiring is continuing. Is that true? Glad to see it.

SrfNFly227
08-03-2018, 05:13 AM
Applied last window around 6/20, received invite last week with interview date third week of August.

Congrats and good luck!

imbroke
08-03-2018, 05:47 AM
So it appears that even after rumors of a hiring freeze that hiring is continuing. Is that true? Glad to see it.

That is true. Hiring is back to full speed for flight ops. September classes are full and as of last week, October classes were being assigned to those who had a successful interview/DB outcome.

Smooth at FL450
08-03-2018, 07:49 AM

The hiring freeze never was applied to Flight Ops.

squatcher1
08-03-2018, 08:39 AM
Has anyone been hired who is over age of 50? Asking, as I know a pilot who has 13,000 hours ME, many as PIC who has worked in corporate aviation for most of his career but wants to fly for airlines.

BarrySeal
08-03-2018, 08:44 AM
Has anyone been hired who is over age of 50? Asking, as I know a pilot who has 13,000 hours ME, many as PIC who has worked in corporate aviation for most of his career but wants to fly for airlines.

on the app is date of birth or any age info harvested ? (i dont know hence my question)

lostmybearing
08-03-2018, 09:20 AM

Tell them to apply! I'll be 52 this month. I have a September class date, if that helps. I have no 121 experience.

BigWillyCapt
08-03-2018, 09:21 AM
2 guys in my class over 50. The oldest was roughly 58 IIRC.

HiFlyer992
08-03-2018, 04:57 PM
Has anyone heard rumors of when the next hiring window is going to be?

Proximity
08-03-2018, 07:40 PM
That is true. Hiring is back to full speed for flight ops. September classes are full and as of last week, October classes were being assigned to those who had a successful interview/DB outcome.

SWAPA SR committee says the plan published in June hasn't changed. 2 classes for August.

squirtinvert
08-06-2018, 06:34 PM
Senior guy in our class was 59.5. Apply if you want it!

holygrail
08-09-2018, 04:54 AM
I know its been answered on this forum before but I cant seem to find it. I interviewed with SW a few years back and was not hired...water under the bridge. Now im interested again but I want to hire someone to review my logbooks and I want to have a professional redo my resume. I would guess that there are companies / individuals out there that do this type of thing exclusively for SW. Any suggestions?

flensr
08-09-2018, 01:16 PM
I know its been answered on this forum before but I cant seem to find it. I interviewed with SW a few years back and was not hired...water under the bridge. Now im interested again but I want to hire someone to review my logbooks and I want to have a professional redo my resume. I would guess that there are companies / individuals out there that do this type of thing exclusively for SW. Any suggestions?

Crossposting in multiple forums on the same board and posting the exact same thing in multiple threads in the same forum is a sin against humanity, it says so right here in my internet bible (holy text of your choice). Seriously, you don't need to spam the forums to get an answer. Particularly the answer to this specific question. Post whatever and wherever you like, I'm not your mom, but don't be surprised to get a couple of helpful posts and a bunch of hate for being a forum spammer.

And good luck with your updated applications.

DawnPatrol
08-10-2018, 04:00 PM
My apologies if this is the wrong thread but looking for thoughts and insight from the group on next steps to make my flight experience more attractive to SWA.

Currently have the base minimums for United currently flying 135 on a Citation Excel. I have the opportunity to move to a much better paying Part 91/135 job on the same metal or go back to 121 on the Airbus with an ULCC. Have some 121 experience with a regional a few years back but no 121 TPIC.

Education - Master Degree, Military - No, Volunteer Work - Yes, Internal United Recommendations - 0, Job Fairs Attended - 0

at6d
08-10-2018, 10:08 PM
I came from corporate with regional SIC time but turbine PIC part 91.

Iíve heard of new hires recently getting the call with zero turbine PIC.

JungleJetDriver
08-10-2018, 11:15 PM
I came from corporate with regional SIC time but turbine PIC part 91.

Iíve heard of new hires recently getting the call with zero turbine PIC.

So whatís the trick? Personal flight experience is chief pilot part 91, 1000 hrs. SIC Part 121, 1000+ hrs. PIC Part 135 and 91, several type ratings and all I hear are crickets.

Tbpilot06
08-11-2018, 07:16 AM
So whatís the trick? Personal flight experience is chief pilot part 91, 1000 hrs. SIC Part 121, 1000+ hrs. PIC Part 135 and 91, several type ratings and all I hear are crickets.

Same for me. 8000 TT, former part 135 DO and Chief Pilot, MBA, current part 91 Safety Manager , 1800 TPIC ... hear the same crickets window after window....

at6d
08-11-2018, 08:15 AM
I canít say for sure.... Make absolutely sure that every single box is checked on the pilot credentials page, and that you also applied on the company careers page. Update your times at least every month and update your available date.

RJSAviator76
08-11-2018, 08:33 AM
Same for me. 8000 TT, former part 135 DO and Chief Pilot, MBA, current part 91 Safety Manager , 1800 TPIC ... hear the same crickets window after window....

That's your handicap right there.

Corporate guys generally don't want to be airline pilots. Just ask them. They'll just use us for a type rating and use the first opportunity to leave us for another better corporate gig.

Corporate pilots make horrible airline pilots. They can't handle not filing flight plans or loading bags or fetching coffee, ice and paper. Furthermore, they tend to always want to be the big fish in a small pond, and make lousy FO's. Then the confusion ensues when they're actually expected to fly every other leg from takeoff to touchdown... as FO's!!!! :eek: I won't even go into strut-wiping...

Corporate pilots don't know how the airline pilot world works, so we prefer you get some time under your belt at some podunk regional first before applying at this level.

Corporate pilots tend to be anti-union. All airline pilots at this level are unionized.

Corporate pilots always whine about hotel points or AvTrip points. You can kiss your Marriott Rewards or Hilton Honors Platinum goodbye unless you're a commuter maybe...

Corporate pilots are used to FBO lounges everywhere. At Southwest, we can only get a day room if our delay or time between flights is over 4 hours, which means you'll be slumming it in the terminal quite a bit. That means no Fox News, no Signature popcorn, no good-looking FBO girls, no lazyboys unless in the pilot lounge at one of our domiciles, and even then they tend to be subpar (ATL notwithstanding).

Corporate pilots aren't used to dealing with TSA. You no longer get to park your car at the hangar. Not only that, but at Southwest, you pay for your parking unless you're DAL-based.

Talk to a corporate pilot and they'll always say that the worst part of their job is airlining to/from their airplane. You do that a lot over here. You'll deadhead all over the system and you'll be exposed to the riff-raff in the back the whole time. Why would you do that to yourself?

Corporate pilots are used to catering and in-flight culinary wonders. We don't have catering. We have provo, and our in-flight culinary wonders include pretzels and chips. We are officially de-nutted as of August 1.

Simply put... being an airline pilot is beneath you, so the question is.... why on earth would you want to come here?

BarrySeal
08-11-2018, 09:06 AM
just an outside observer, but I think of all the majors, SWA has the greatest propensity to hire corporate types

HiFlyer992
08-13-2018, 06:44 PM
Any idea/rumors of when the next window will open up?

at6d
08-13-2018, 11:42 PM

Corporate guys generally don't want to be airline pilots. Just ask them. They'll just use us for a type rating and use the first opportunity to leave us for another better corporate gig.

Corporate pilots make horrible airline pilots. They can't handle not filing flight plans or loading bags or fetching coffee, ice and paper. Furthermore, they tend to always want to be the big fish in a small pond, and make lousy FO's. Then the confusion ensues when they're actually expected to fly every other leg from takeoff to touchdown... as FO's!!!! :eek: I won't even go into strut-wiping...

Corporate pilots don't know how the airline pilot world works, so we prefer you get some time under your belt at some podunk regional first before applying at this level.

Corporate pilots tend to be anti-union. All airline pilots at this level are unionized.

Corporate pilots always whine about hotel points or AvTrip points. You can kiss your Marriott Rewards or Hilton Honors Platinum goodbye unless you're a commuter maybe...

Corporate pilots are used to FBO lounges everywhere. At Southwest, we can only get a day room if our delay or time between flights is over 4 hours, which means you'll be slumming it in the terminal quite a bit. That means no Fox News, no Signature popcorn, no good-looking FBO girls, no lazyboys unless in the pilot lounge at one of our domiciles, and even then they tend to be subpar (ATL notwithstanding).

Corporate pilots aren't used to dealing with TSA. You no longer get to park your car at the hangar. Not only that, but at Southwest, you pay for your parking unless you're DAL-based.

Talk to a corporate pilot and they'll always say that the worst part of their job is airlining to/from their airplane. You do that a lot over here. You'll deadhead all over the system and you'll be exposed to the riff-raff in the back the whole time. Why would you do that to yourself?

Corporate pilots are used to catering and in-flight culinary wonders. We don't have catering. We have provo, and our in-flight culinary wonders include pretzels and chips. We are officially de-nutted as of August 1.

Simply put... being an airline pilot is beneath you, so the question is.... why on earth would you want to come here?

LOL

You forgot about calling ahead to set up hotels and transportation for everyone. Oh, and by the way whatís the fuel price?

And yes, I miss my Hilton points.

What I donít miss is not having a schedule, being tethered to office work while at home, and being on call 24/7.

RJSAviator76
08-14-2018, 03:44 AM
LOL

You forgot about calling ahead to set up hotels and transportation for everyone. Oh, and by the way whatís the fuel price?

And yes, I miss my Hilton points.

What I donít miss is not having a schedule, being tethered to office work while at home, and being on call 24/7.

I canít believe I also forgot courtesy and rental cars! But then again, some corporate guys get chauffeured wherever they need to go... why trade that for walking along and through the riffraff in the terminal and then waiting outside in elements for the hotel van?

Smooth at FL450
08-14-2018, 05:50 AM
I canít believe I also forgot courtesy and rental cars! But then again, some corporate guys get chauffeured wherever they need to go... why trade that for walking along and through the riffraff in the terminal and then waiting outside in elements for the hotel van?

Dealing with the riffraff is the most challenging part of the job...as one of my 8 year old corporate passengers astutely put it during our HNL-SNA flight ďyou have to breath their airĒ

RJSAviator76
08-14-2018, 06:43 AM
Dealing with the riffraff is the most challenging part of the job...as one of my 8 year old corporate passengers astutely put it during our HNL-SNA flight ďyou have to breath their airĒ

Except to them... youíre the riffraff.

ZapBrannigan
08-14-2018, 07:11 AM
There are a lot of things that I miss about corporate flying to be honest. I admit that I miss the benefits of a crew car (although Uber and Zipcar fill the gap). I miss nice clean FBO restrooms. I miss the more civilized pace of corporate flying vs the 35 minute turns. I miss the aircraft with state of the art avionics and systems, and the performance to easily cruise in the mid 40s without breaking a sweat. I miss the free sourdough from Signature in SFO, the taffy in Grand Junction, the Pretzels in NE Philly.

But none of the benefits of corporate flying outweigh the flexibility of the schedule we enjoy at SW. Since I left corporate flying a little over 5 years ago, I havenít missed a single important family event, and Iíve only missed about 2 Christmases and one Thanksgiving. Thatís hard to beat.

Add to that the B-fund and profit sharing being a qualified plan, and itís hard to believe I wasted as much time flying corporate as I did. Iíll blame it on the lost decade.

CA1900
08-14-2018, 09:57 AM

I overheard an ~8-year-old kid on a private jet flight a while back ask his parents what the seatbelt sign on the wall meant.

"The pilot turns that on to let you know you have to buckle your seatbelt."

"Oh! So it's like a public plane..."

:rolleyes:

Tbpilot06
08-14-2018, 10:28 AM
There are a lot of things that I miss about corporate flying to be honest. I admit that I miss the benefits of a crew car (although Uber and Zipcar fill the gap). I miss nice clean FBO restrooms. I miss the more civilized pace of corporate flying vs the 35 minute turns. I miss the aircraft with state of the art avionics and systems, and the performance to easily cruise in the mid 40s without breaking a sweat. I miss the free sourdough from Signature in SFO, the taffy in Grand Junction, the Pretzels in NE Philly.

But none of the benefits of corporate flying outweigh the flexibility of the schedule we enjoy at SW. Since I left corporate flying a little over 5 years ago, I havenít missed a single important family event, and Iíve only missed about 2 Christmases and one Thanksgiving. Thatís hard to beat.

Add to that the B-fund and profit sharing being a qualified plan, and itís hard to believe I wasted as much time flying corporate as I did. Iíll blame it on the lost decade.

Iím looking at the way you all view corporate pilots on this Southwest forum and I have discovered that one wouldnít really be welcome even if we were interested. I am a corporate pilot and have never missed a major family event, any Christmas or Thanksgiving. I obviously donít think poorly of airline flying since Iím interested in joining the ranks if I can get interviewed, but some of the viewpoints here are plain incorrect. I guess it depends on the company someone works for, but if we need a day off we ask and get approved even if we need a contact pilot to fill in. We donít fly 8 year olds or anyone not conducting business for our company for that matter. Our passengers even clean up after the flight. Itís wrong to think anyone group is better than the other as each job requires different skills and interactions with people. I apologize for being interested in Southwest based on the responses from many here. I will go back to ďwasting my timeĒ at my corporate job.

RJSAviator76
08-14-2018, 12:06 PM
Iím looking at the way you all view corporate pilots on this Southwest forum and I have discovered that one wouldnít really be welcome even if we were interested. I am a corporate pilot and have never missed a major family event, any Christmas or Thanksgiving. I obviously donít think poorly of airline flying since Iím interested in joining the ranks if I can get interviewed, but some of the viewpoints here are plain incorrect. I guess it depends on the company someone works for, but if we need a day off we ask and get approved even if we need a contact pilot to fill in. We donít fly 8 year olds or anyone not conducting business for our company for that matter. Our passengers even clean up after the flight. Itís wrong to think anyone group is better than the other as each job requires different skills and interactions with people. I apologize for being interested in Southwest based on the responses from many here. I will go back to ďwasting my timeĒ at my corporate job.

... and the truth shall set you free!

If you can't see this as a roast and poking fun at what a number of us did prior to coming here, perhaps you're indeed better off at Delta or American or some other place where being uptight is a job requirement, to include your corporate job.

Peacock
08-14-2018, 02:34 PM

You have an interesting post history. 3/4 of your posts are re-stating your resume and 1/4 is *****ing about how jacked up the hiring department must be for not inviting you. Honestly itís a frustrating process so thatís understandable.

Itís strange that youíd say you ďwouldnít be welcome even if interestedĒ. For one thing, we know youíre interested. Also there are tons of former corporate guys at SWA, probably a higher percentage than at most other majors. Donít get twisted over tongue-in-cheek posts by (almost certainly) former corporate guys.

JungleJetDriver
08-14-2018, 06:34 PM

Touchť my, Touchť.
Flying for a major airline is for some, the pinnacle of being a professional pilot. The training, SOPís, the true crew environment are all part of the appeal of flying with true aviators. And not some of the cowboys that scrape by shooting from the hip to hold the title of ďpilotĒthat we see so often on the part 91 side. And partly chasing heavier metal, schedules and money. After awhile the leash gets tight being on call 24/7 with no schedule. My flight departments have been single aircraft with two pilots. Not your Bank of America, Amway, GE, Coke a Cola fleet.
I did a 3 year sentence at Expressjet based in ORD and loved the flying, hated the company. And thanked God for the ALPA. The idea of showing up at my assigned schedule to just fly the plane and NOT manage scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, set up rental cars, turn in financial reports of flight department expenditures and expense reports, ensuring that the boss and his group know how to get to their meeting or luxury resort. To Not have to hold the hand of a seemingly intelligent adult to make sure they have not forgotten their briefcase, iPad, phone, jacket, sunglasses. Etc. Etc. Etc.

JungleJetDriver
08-14-2018, 06:48 PM
ďOh and Captain, are we out of shop towels? I didnít see any in any of the cargo bays. And thereís some grease splattered on the main gear struts Iíd like to clean up.Ē 😃😃

at6d
08-14-2018, 07:32 PM

Itís toungue-in-cheek...relax.

There are more of us former corporate guys than you think!

Smooth at FL450
08-14-2018, 08:17 PM

Better not tell SWA they have a former 135 biz jet guy on the pilot hiring team...

badpilot4life
08-14-2018, 09:17 PM
I’m looking at the way you all view corporate pilots on this Southwest forum and I have discovered that one wouldn’t really be welcome even if we were interested. I am a corporate pilot and have never missed a major family event, any Christmas or Thanksgiving. I obviously don’t think poorly of airline flying since I’m interested in joining the ranks if I can get interviewed, but some of the viewpoints here are plain incorrect. I guess it depends on the company someone works for, but if we need a day off we ask and get approved even if we need a contact pilot to fill in. We don’t fly 8 year olds or anyone not conducting business for our company for that matter. Our passengers even clean up after the flight. It’s wrong to think anyone group is better than the other as each job requires different skills and interactions with people. I apologize for being interested in Southwest based on the responses from many here. I will go back to “wasting my time” at my corporate job.

bunch of corp guys in my class, you need to calm down bra. this is the internets. if this is real outrage check out delta or younited

at6d
08-15-2018, 08:38 AM
I am a corporate pilot and have never missed a major family event, any Christmas or Thanksgiving....Iím interested in joining the ranks if I can get interviewed, but some of the viewpoints here are plain incorrect. I guess it depends on the company someone works for, but if we need a day off we ask and get approved even if we need a contact pilot to fill in.

It really does depend on the job.

In my near decade as a part 91 corporate pilot, we had holidays off because the company was closed.

Being junior at any major gives the gift of holiday flying.

We also had a budget for contract pilots, but that was for vacation fills or days when we had multiple trips that extended our guys too much.

We have over 9000 pilots here, many have corporate experience.

Why exactly do you want to come here?

You seem a little uptight about the corporate jokes. Whatís the deal?

e6bpilot
08-15-2018, 09:59 AM
The only potentially negative thing I have heard about corporate guys is that some smaller part 91 jobs are not considered good job references in terms of background checking. They prefer guys with some other experience that have had more than one boss who can attest to their personality/flying ability. This was from a guy who works in hiring.
Plenty of corporate guys being hired. The baby of my class was 28 years old and only had corporate experience. He was also a real go getter and has a very outgoing and friendly personality.

JungleJetDriver
08-15-2018, 03:16 PM
I need to just be more diligent on updating my resume and hang in there like hair in a biscuit. They have to eventually reach the bottom of the stack and there my resume will be.

Rostov
08-15-2018, 03:26 PM
I need to just be more diligent on updating my resume and hang in there like hair in a biscuit. They have to eventually reach the bottom of the stack and there my resume will be.

^This. Sir I race you to the bottom!

Tbpilot06
08-16-2018, 05:26 AM
^This. Sir I race you to the bottom!

I think we are all in the same race. I do update mine after every trip I have.

Proximity
08-16-2018, 06:02 AM
The only potentially negative thing I have heard about corporate guys is that some smaller part 91 jobs are not considered good job references in terms of background checking.

I had a long stretch of overseas "part 91" employment before coming to Southwest and to the People Dept's credit they worked hard to make the background check happen. It was difficult due to the time zone differences and due to the secretive nature of my former employer. However, I did have part 135 experience in the USA from over a decade ago with refs from current SWA employees, so maybe that helped.

TXMeat
08-16-2018, 12:16 PM
Any idea/rumors of when the next window will open up?

Anyone have info on this?

Smooth at FL450
08-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Anyone have info on this?

Heard yesterday 8/20 but not sure yet how credible this is...

Skip0927
08-16-2018, 09:41 PM

Those pretzels at PNE were legendary!

skythian
08-17-2018, 03:58 PM
Heard yesterday 8/20 but not sure yet how credible this is...

Rocky confirmed the next window opens 8/20 at OBAP.

Learflyer
08-17-2018, 04:30 PM
If their multiple requisition policy is a strategy for weening people out then theyíre starting to beat down this old guy. Good luck to all!

08-19-2018, 05:22 PM
If their multiple requisition policy is a strategy for weening people out then theyíre starting to beat down this old guy. Good luck to all!

I hear ya!

djslappy
08-19-2018, 05:46 PM
I overheard an ~8-year-old kid on a private jet flight a while back ask his parents what the seatbelt sign on the wall meant.

"The pilot turns that on to let you know you have to buckle your seatbelt."

"Oh! So it's like a public plane..."

:rolleyes:
Overheard this one last week helping my 4 pax through customs in Nassau

Son - Dad, knock. knock.
Dad - who's there?
Son - Orange
Dad - Orange who?
Son - Orange you glad we didn't have to fly on the airlines?

Me - I just threw up in my mouth.

SrfNFly227
08-20-2018, 05:15 AM
New window opened this morning. Now I have 5 windows with "Received Submission" on my dashboard :D

pilot124
08-20-2018, 05:44 AM
New window opened this morning. Now I have 5 windows with "Received Submission" on my dashboard :D

I had 7 "Received Submission" windows open before the 7th one magically turned to "In Progress". The 7th one I was invited to interview. Don't lose faith, just keep applying. You can't win if you don't get in!

at6d
08-20-2018, 08:18 AM
Donít forgetóyou need both the Pilot Credentials AND the Southwest Careers applications to apply.

JetDoc
08-20-2018, 08:55 AM
Sixth window. Perhaps six times is the charm?

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-20-2018, 10:33 AM
Sixth window. Perhaps six times is the charm?

I'm on 6 too, I sacrificed a small goat I bought from Dallas before I clicked 'submit.' Hurry up SWA! Every window I have to apply to means a little goat dies.

Flitestar
08-20-2018, 10:51 AM
Is the next Chief Pilot hiring review board on the 22nd or 23rd? I thought it was on the 22nd, but for some reason I remember them saying it’s usually on a Thursday (23). My short term memory sucks...

BigWillyCapt
08-20-2018, 12:19 PM
It's usually on a Wednesday.

Icaruss
08-20-2018, 01:54 PM
Can you pick up out of base Open time while on Reserve?

Also, how hard is for junior pilots to pickup open time?

Smokey23
08-20-2018, 02:10 PM
Can you pick up out of base Open time while on Reserve?

Yes, but you're behind every pilot in that domicile for open time.

Also, how hard is for junior pilots to pickup open time?

Depends on how picky you are and what month of the year it is (among other variables). If you're willing to fly straight-time weekend trips, there is always plenty of inventory to choose from.

Icaruss
08-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Yes, but you're behind every pilot in that domicile for open time.

Depends on how picky you are and what month of the year it is (among other variables). If you're willing to fly straight-time weekend trips, there is always plenty of inventory to choose from.

So even if you fly above guarantee or in a day off, is it still straight-time unless is defined premium?

ipdanno
08-20-2018, 02:44 PM
So even if you fly above guarantee or in a day off, is it still straight-time unless is defined premium?

The line guarantee isnít a limit to you, it is a requirement on the company to build bid lines.

All Open Time can be bid as Straight Pay or Premium Pay (150%). [Note: Charters are always 150%,and usually go senior] The contract defines in what order Scheds is to assign the bid-upon trips (Straight Pay/Assign to Reserve/Premium Pay). If nobody bids it straight, and no RSV is used, AND you are the senior Premium bidder, you SHOULD get the trip Premium. But sometimes Scheds plays around to split the trip to run it again, hoping to get a straight-time bidder.

For a new-hire, any Open Time trip you get, above your original line total, will be paid at 2nd-year rates, whether it was awarded straight or premium (2nd year @ 100% or 2nd year @ 150%). This is the High-Pilot-Productivity Indoctrination Program.

Others here on APC are better versed on the intricacies of Open Time for New Hires and Junior folk, so donít listen to me. 😉

Blueflyer
08-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Are lines usually constructed around the domicile? For example, a DAL assigned pilot will only to destinations in/out of DAL? Or you can fly anywhere as long as you get back to domicile on the last day?

GuardPolice
08-20-2018, 02:57 PM
Are lines usually constructed around the domicile? For example, a DAL assigned pilot will only to destinations in/out of DAL? Or you can fly anywhere as long as you get back to domicile on the last day?

It's the latter. It's very common to leave your base on the first leg and not return until the last leg of the trip.

Blueflyer
08-20-2018, 03:00 PM
It's the latter. It's very common to leave your base on the first leg and not return until the last leg of the trip.

So for example DAL pilots are not assigned lines to just around Central US or in vicinity of? So technically they could make it all the way BWI for example?

Flitestar
08-20-2018, 03:05 PM
It's usually on a Wednesday.

Thanks Big.

barabek
08-20-2018, 03:17 PM
So for example DAL pilots are not assigned lines to just around Central US or in vicinity of? So technically they could make it all the way BWI for example?

Yes, you will be flying around the whole system. Having said that, there are certain exceptions and I really don't know why. For example, some bases have less or no international flying built in to the pairings. Also, Hawaii flying will be flown only from ETOPS bases. Other than that, it's not unusual to visit both coasts and everything in between on a 3 day trip. Overall, flying is very diverse and easy to trade if you want to avoid certain destinations.

GuardPolice
08-20-2018, 06:51 PM

Iím on the 737 at Delta and we frequently see both coats in a single duty period. We take it to Alaska, the Caribbean, Bermuda, South America and all over Mexico and Central America. Itís some of the most diverse flying we have.

As an example, a recent 4-day trip I flew had MKE, LIR, and SFO as the layovers.

ROFF
08-20-2018, 07:55 PM
Isn't that the whole point of a Texas base? So you dont have to leave the state?

Makes no sense to me flying all over the country.

On the flip side, lots of the trips out of Oakland never leave California.

California cruzin! The guys who like to log IFR bid around these.

AFSOCFlyr
08-20-2018, 09:26 PM
Is it me or is there nowhere on SWA pilotcreds or ICIMS to enter your GPA? This is my second time applying and Iím just noticing this.

Itís on my resume of course

Riverside
08-20-2018, 10:12 PM
Iím on the 737 at Delta and we frequently see both coats in a single duty period. We take it to Alaska, the Caribbean, Bermuda, South America and all over Mexico and Central America. Itís some of the most diverse flying we have.

As an example, a recent 4-day trip I flew had MKE, LIR, and SFO as the layovers.

What are both coats like?

WHACKMASTER
08-20-2018, 10:18 PM

Ya know.....double-breasted :D

at6d
08-20-2018, 11:02 PM
We donít do hub-and-spoke flying. You will go everywhere.

e6bpilot
08-21-2018, 05:25 AM
We donít do hub-and-spoke flying. You will go everywhere.

Hey my neighbor Larry flew for you guys too, maybe you know him. Oh, wait, yes, SKYwest, Iím sorry. So you do know him?

What is your route, because I am flying to LA in a few months and I am hoping you are my pilot.

GuardPolice
08-21-2018, 06:14 AM

Quite nice except they are of the horse blanket variety.

Smooth at FL450
08-21-2018, 06:19 AM
Is it me or is there nowhere on SWA pilotcreds or ICIMS to enter your GPA? This is my second time applying and Iím just noticing this.

Itís on my resume of course

Because SWA doesn't care about your GPA...have a degree? Then good enough!

AFSOCFlyr
08-21-2018, 08:28 AM
Because SWA doesn't care about your GPA...have a degree? Then good enough!

I guess I didn't phrase my message in a form of a question. ;) I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing it somewhere and I'm guessing that your response means that I am not.. :D

Auburngrad2007
08-21-2018, 10:59 AM
Just applied yesterday and under my submission it says "Closed Complete." Is that a good of bad thing?

AFSOCFlyr
08-21-2018, 12:05 PM
Just applied yesterday and under my submission it says "Closed Complete." Is that a good of bad thing?

Disclaimer: I do not work for SWA nor any other 121 outfit right now

Per what I read on here during the last window: If you apply and almost immediately have your status changed to "closed complete," it usually means that you either don't meet their hiring minimums (or at least the data you supplied them doesn't meet the mins), or maybe you didn't meet some other otherwise-unlisted criteria for this window. Basically it is a computer-generated "thanks but no thanks."

Best of luck!

SrfNFly227
08-21-2018, 12:05 PM

That would mean that you are no longer being looked at for this position.

CaptYoda
08-21-2018, 04:50 PM
After interview, how realistic is it to get a class date within 60 days?

MountainWaves
08-21-2018, 05:34 PM
After interview, how realistic is it to get a class date within 60 days?

Mine was 48 days and there was a guy in my interview group in the class that started a week ahead of me and another a week after.

Zard
08-21-2018, 07:18 PM
This past spring I was in class 5 weeks after my interview date and 3 weeks after my CP board.

BigWillyCapt
08-21-2018, 07:57 PM
I think they are running about 2 classes a month right now whereas up until the summer they were running as many as 4/month.

rightsideup
08-21-2018, 07:59 PM
Isn't that the whole point of a Texas base? So you dont have to leave the state?

Makes no sense to me flying all over the country.

On the flip side, lots of the trips out of Oakland never leave California.

California cruzin! The guys who like to log IFR bid around these.

Once you're flying for a major 121 carrier, no one really cares anymore what IFR you log...or don't. ;)

Smooth at FL450
08-21-2018, 09:17 PM
I guess I didn't phrase my message in a form of a question. ;) I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing it somewhere and I'm guessing that your response means that I am not.. :D

Correct, youíre good!

at6d
08-21-2018, 11:26 PM

Just for the sake of discussion, you arenít out of the game unless you get the TBNT email.

Do you meet the minimums?

Did you submit both the careers page AND credentials page applications?

Auburngrad2007
08-22-2018, 05:09 AM
Prior military. A little shy of the minimums. Regional guy gettibg 121 time. I did both applications. Maybe next time.

Squallrider
08-22-2018, 06:03 AM
Southwest flushes apps on file each window. Closed complete just means you werenít selected to interview for that window or if itís really fast it means you donít meet the minimums.

Psycho18th
08-22-2018, 06:07 AM
Go back in and make sure you clicked the right boxes for having a class one medical, speak English, are old enough, etc on both the company app and ICIMS. Basically all the minimums listed in the job posting.

Tbpilot06
08-22-2018, 08:48 AM
Southwest flushes apps on file each window. Closed complete just means you werenít selected to interview for that window or if itís really fast it means you donít meet the minimums.

So why do 6 previous windows remain in Received Submission status? Donít they only select from the current window and if not whatís the point of the windows?

FlyDive
08-22-2018, 10:49 AM
I donít know if it was mentioned previously, but I have it on good authority that ďwhenĒ you submit your application during the hiring window matters, i.e., the day the window opens versus when it closes. Also, the more times you apply, the better too. So keep trying! I didnít get the call the first time.

Auburngrad2007
08-22-2018, 11:10 AM
Noted. I wasnít planning on not applying again. Thanks for clarifying.

PotatoChip
08-22-2018, 11:40 AM
I donít know if it was mentioned previously, but I have it on good authority that ďwhenĒ you submit your application during the hiring window matters, i.e., the day the window opens versus when it closes. Also, the more times you apply, the better too. So keep trying! I didnít get the call the first time.

This was specifically debunked during the career expo. They made it very clear that it does not matter when you apply during the window.

Westerner
08-22-2018, 12:19 PM
Everyone getting emails about not getting selected from the last requisition and to reapply to this one?
Never have received one of those previously.

flysooner9
08-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Everyone getting emails about not getting selected from the last requisition and to reapply to this one?

Yes I got one of those today.

JetDoc
08-22-2018, 12:32 PM

Yes, but nothing has changed on my dashboard. My first two attempts say "closed, complete" but my last four applications including the that opened this past Monday all say "submission received". I'm reaching the end of my rope here.

PotatoChip
08-22-2018, 12:34 PM
Yup.
Guess Iíll start drinking early tonight.

Westerner
08-22-2018, 12:37 PM
Yup.

lol...feeling your pain

Tbpilot06
08-22-2018, 12:42 PM
Yup.

I got that email too. It was from a 2017 window. I am blown away at how organized they seem to be.

BobbyLeeSwagger
08-22-2018, 12:44 PM

Same here, no additional closed and completes... confused:confused:

Tbpilot06
08-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Same here, no additional closed and completes... confused:confused:

Same. The window referenced in the email still says Received Submission. It was from Dec 2017.

MartyMoose
08-22-2018, 01:56 PM
I got that email too. It was from a 2017 window. I am blown away at how organized they seem to be.

I got the same email today. Still have 3 "received submission" 1 "closed complete" and 1 "under review". :confused:

Learflyer
08-22-2018, 02:14 PM
I have two closed completes and four received submissions. Received the ďthanks but no thanksĒ, followed by the ďplease reapply to the most recentĒ...to which I did. The practical joke continues.

Flitestar
08-22-2018, 02:53 PM
Did anybody get the call today with good news?

brigadeaviator
08-22-2018, 04:10 PM

I got the same email today for a past window but it does mention that I am welcome to reapply during the current window. (Instead of something like 6 months down the line). So Iíll take that as something positive.

flyguy81
08-22-2018, 04:53 PM
Did anybody get the call today with good news?

2 of my buddies have gotten the call.

Ronin47
08-22-2018, 08:32 PM
2 of my buddies have gotten the call.

Contingent offers went out today to those who have interviewed pending a background PRIA and Decision Board on the 5th.

Flitestar
08-22-2018, 08:54 PM
Contingent offers went out today for today’s chief pilot board meet. Interviews from Aug 9th, fwiw...

FlyDive
08-23-2018, 08:22 AM
This was specifically debunked during the career expo. They made it very clear that it does not matter when you apply during the window.

Must have changed. I was told differently about a year and a half ago

idefusem2
08-23-2018, 08:41 AM
Southwest has again opened for applications.

PSpuza
08-23-2018, 10:28 AM
Two "Closed Completes" then Three "Received Submission." I applied today and instantly got a Closed Complete. Does this mean I was passed up on this current window?

at6d
08-23-2018, 10:30 AM
Two "Closed Completes" then Three "Received Submission." I applied today and instantly got a Closed Complete. Does this mean I was passed up on this current window?

Do you meet all minimums?

SideFlare
08-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but are you seeing ďclosed completeĒ and the other status listings on pilot credentials or on the SWA career site? Iím seeing ďReceived SubmissionĒ on the careers site and ďStatus: ActiveĒ on Pilot Credentials. Wondering if Iím missing something here... Thanks in advance.

PotatoChip
08-23-2018, 10:44 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but are you seeing ďclosed completeĒ and the other status listings on pilot credentials or on the SWA career site? Iím seeing ďReceived SubmissionĒ on the careers site and ďStatus: ActiveĒ on Pilot Credentials. Wondering if Iím missing something here... Thanks in advance.

ďClosed CompleteĒ shows up where you are seeing ďReceived SubmissionĒ.

SideFlare
08-23-2018, 10:47 AM
ďClosed CompleteĒ shows up where you are seeing ďReceived SubmissionĒ.

Thanks dude.

PSpuza
08-23-2018, 01:17 PM
Do you meet all minimums?

Yeah. Just updated it today. 636 TPIC ~3400 TT

Got the apply again next window email yesterday, and then received an email saying next window is open today and applied. Not sure why I got the Closed Complete right off the bat considering I have Recieved Submission for the last three.

ZapBrannigan
08-23-2018, 01:26 PM

Got the apply again next window email yesterday, and then received an email saying next window is open today and applied. Not sure why I got the Closed Complete right off the bat considering I have Recieved Submission for the last three.

If thatís civilian, Im sorry to say I doubt it is competitive.

flysooner9
08-23-2018, 02:19 PM

Must have missed a check box somewhere. I have similar times and although I know Iím not competitive Iíve never gotten an instant no during a window.

PSpuza
08-23-2018, 02:23 PM
I know itís not really competitive but I havenít gotten an instant closed complete. Oh well, guess Iíll wait till next window to try again!

Also just had a Pilot leave from our company at 2550TT and ~1000 Turbine (no PIC) for WN, so Iím not really sure what is and isnít competitive.

SrfNFly227
08-23-2018, 02:38 PM
Also just had a Pilot leave from our company at 2550TT and ~1000 Turbine (no PIC) for WN, so Iím not really sure what is and isnít competitive.

Wait seriously? What company? And was that pilot prior military?

ConnectionPilot
08-23-2018, 03:23 PM
Wait seriously? What company? And was that pilot prior military?

SkyWest and they were a Southwest intern in prior life

bright yellow
08-23-2018, 03:52 PM
Applied yesterday and the status is closed complete.

Currently B787 Capt overseas with approximately 9800 Jet PIC and 16000 Total time. Not sure why it went to closed complete straight away.

Does this mean that I will not be look at during this window?

Good luck everyone.

Pinseekr9
08-23-2018, 04:17 PM
Just to add a data point for consideration regarding the immediate "closed complete" status: there might not be as many positions available for this posting as in the past and instead of skipping a cycle they continue posting requisitions as often as in the past. Many of those that were successfull in the interview process in July do not have class dates until Oct and possibly Nov. SW has a window from job offer to class date and they might have to extend it due to class dates availability and not new hire availability. I think people typically went as soon as a month in the past, but that isn't the case right now. I have a feeling they are trying to see how these next few classes shake out. I think things will be back to normal next go around. I am not an expert or insider by any means though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

PSpuza
08-23-2018, 04:45 PM
SkyWest and they were a Southwest intern in prior life

Iím positive they had a fantastic resume (much better than mine probably is!). I was just making the point that maybe my times arenít too far off base, but who knows!

PSpuza
08-23-2018, 04:48 PM
Applied yesterday and the status is closed complete.

Currently B787 Capt overseas with approximately 9800 Jet PIC and 16000 Total time. Not sure why it went to closed complete straight away.

Does this mean that I will not be look at during this window?

Good luck everyone.

Mine did too, and Iím not sure why because my previous are still showing Submission Recieved. Not sure if we will be looked at in this window or not.

flight81
08-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Mine just says submitted successfully. Nothing about completed closed. This is the first time I have met the minimums to apply.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1