Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : PHL

Chet Manley
06-11-2018, 07:40 AM
Hello all,

Was wondering what the likely hood of getting PHL would be as a new FO. Haven’t seen a whole lot of information on here regairding this base.

SystemLogic
06-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Hello all,

Was wondering what the likely hood of getting PHL would be as a new FO. Haven’t seen a whole lot of information on here regairding this base.

Most junior PHL FO currently is a 10/17 hire. Most Junior FO at PHL in OCT is a 5/01/18 hire. If PHL is what you want I would would stick to piedmont or psa.

Geardownflaps30
06-12-2018, 05:12 AM
Most junior PHL FO currently is a 10/17 hire. Most Junior FO at PHL in OCT is a 5/01/18 hire. If PHL is what you want I would would stick to piedmont or psa.

So five months to hold the base he or she wants at least two of which they will be in training. So 2.5 to 3 months to hold PHL. That hardly seems like the end of the world!!!

🤪😱🤫

njd1
06-12-2018, 05:31 AM
So five months to hold the base he or she wants at least two of which they will be in training. So 2.5 to 3 months to hold PHL. That hardly seems like the end of the world!!!

Not the end of the world, but commuting to a crash pad or hotel paid out of pocket for SCR amounts to taking a sizable pay cut on an already laughable salary. Coming from outside the industry I still can't believe airlines actually expect their employees to pay out of pocket for any lodging necessary to do their jobs, particularly if it is not their requested base.

Based on the data a pilot sent me last week LGA and CMH are the most junior bases (FO award 2/18) so I imagine if actually given a choice of NY vs OH and all other things are equal holding LGA out of IOE would be a given. The perk in this case is that it appears there is only 2 weeks between reserve and a composite line, so any time spent on reserve would be very short. Most junior PHL award is indeed 10/17 and there appears to be about 3 months reserve at the moment so it's more senior.

In my case I'm lucky in that I have a family owned crashpad not far from LGA in NJ so I'll be able to do my time at little to no cost (other than time and inconvenience), but I empathize with those forced to do the commute to SCR crash pad thing. It's crappy duty and a waste of limited funds. I mean, it would be one thing if the company were paying a reasonable wage like $80K+, but $45K? That's poverty wage in NJ.

Bert Sampson
06-12-2018, 07:16 AM
Coming from outside the industry...

Sounds like you should stay outside the industry.

Geardownflaps30
06-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Not the end of the world, but commuting to a crash pad or hotel paid out of pocket for SCR amounts to taking a sizable pay cut on an already laughable salary. Coming from outside the industry I still can't believe airlines actually expect their employees to pay out of pocket for any lodging necessary to do their jobs, particularly if it is not their requested base.

Based on the data a pilot sent me last week LGA and CMH are the most junior bases (FO award 2/18) so I imagine if actually given a choice of NY vs OH and all other things are equal holding LGA out of IOE would be a given. The perk in this case is that it appears there is only 2 weeks between reserve and a composite line, so any time spent on reserve would be very short. Most junior PHL award is indeed 10/17 and there appears to be about 3 months reserve at the moment so it's more senior.

In my case I'm lucky in that I have a family owned crashpad not far from LGA in NJ so I'll be able to do my time at little to no cost (other than time and inconvenience), but I empathize with those forced to do the commute to SCR crash pad thing. It's crappy duty and a waste of limited funds. I mean, it would be one thing if the company were paying a reasonable wage like $80K+, but $45K? That's poverty wage in NJ.

It wasn’t all that long ago (less than 3 years) that FO’s were paid half of what they make today and 3 months to hold any base you wanted was considered extraordinary.

Your data point of reference is a bit skewed and your expectations of the company smacks of self indulgent entitlement.

I suggest you read “Flying the Line” parts I & Parts II to get a better perspective on the industry so you aren’t so shocked regarding what airlines expect their employees to do. Also understand that your attitude and expectation is laughable to anyone who has already spent five or more years in this industry and has suffered furloughs, base closures, pay cuts, loss of flying, company closure, etc...and you will have to work with these people.

C130JMike
06-13-2018, 04:17 AM

Great information, thanks. How long is it currently to be a CA line holder in PHL and DCA? Also how about line holder for FO (PHL and DCA).

Thanks in advance.

KNOTAPILOT
06-13-2018, 05:01 AM
Of course yet another entitled person talking bad about the industry after being in it a few months. I really wonder what all these entitled kiddies thought they were going into when they came in? If you just came in I suggest you try and go back to your previous industry because you’ll be looking at more of the same for years to come buddy!

KCaviator
06-14-2018, 11:03 AM
“Laughable salary” 🤣🤣🤣

GTFO you entitled millennial.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median wage for workers in the United States in the fourth quarter of 2017 was $857 per week or $44,564 per year for a 40-hour workweek.

THAT’S FOR A 40-HOUR WORK WEEK! You’ll make a base salary of $40,500 the first year working HALF of that.

TheWeatherman
06-14-2018, 11:56 AM
“Laughable salary” 🤣🤣🤣

GTFO you entitled millennial.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median wage for workers in the United States in the fourth quarter of 2017 was $857 per week or $44,564 per year for a 40-hour workweek.

THAT’S FOR A 40-HOUR WORK WEEK! You’ll make a base salary of $40,500 the first year working HALF of that.

This week I was at work 108 hours but only paid for 24 of it.

KCaviator
06-14-2018, 05:47 PM

Oh, I forgot that drinking beer at the hotel bar was considered “work.” My bad.

BigZ
06-15-2018, 03:22 AM

It is. If you are not off you are on

Geardownflaps30
06-15-2018, 03:38 AM

Then you’re bidding wrong.

TheWeatherman
06-15-2018, 07:48 AM
Really? Wow, I can't believe I am talking to another pilot here. Usually these idiotic conversations happen with non-pilots who don't understand the industry and think that we really work only 75 hours a month.

TheWeatherman
06-15-2018, 07:58 AM
Then you’re bidding wrong.
I bid the best of what my sonority allows. One 4 day trip with 24 hours credit, away from home 108 hours. The current manning situation at Republic doesn't exactly allow a low seniority person to be creative with their bidding.

KCaviator
06-15-2018, 09:58 AM
Really? Wow, I can't believe I am talking to another pilot here. Usually these idiotic conversations happen with non-pilots who don't understand the industry and think that we really work only 75 hours a month.

Awhhhh poor baby. Maybe you wouldn’t think it’s so “idiotic” if you weren’t such a little b****. I grew up in a small community where 95% of the jobs were blue-collar. Those guys would laugh in your face if you told them you just “worked” 108 hours this week.

TheWeatherman
06-15-2018, 09:59 AM
Awhhhh poor baby. Maybe you wouldn’t think it’s so “idiotic” if you weren’t such a little b****. I grew up in a small community where 95% of the jobs were blue-collar. Those guys would laugh in your face if you told them you just “worked” 105 hours this week.

Fail troll attempt. Try harder next time.

KNOTAPILOT
06-15-2018, 11:08 AM

Bud if you don’t like the schedule of a pilot then you should probably cut your losses and work another field where you can be home more. What exactly did you think the pilot life was? I’m not saying it in a bad way I’m really curious what type of salary and life style would please you. If you’re complaining about being away from home it’s like complaining you don’t want to travel for work but you want to be a pilot.

KNOTAPILOT
06-15-2018, 11:13 AM
Awhhhh poor baby. Maybe you wouldn’t think it’s so “idiotic” if you weren’t such a little b****. I grew up in a small community where 95% of the jobs were blue-collar. Those guys would laugh in your face if you told them you just “worked” 108 hours this week.

I’m agree with you. I knew what to expect when I decided to become a pilot. I like everyone in any field want more and more but I love the career I picked. I also have respect for those blue collar workers and I keep my mouth shut because complaining about my job is ridiculous when you sound of to someone that works 12-16 hour shift to make less than we do. I don’t get how anyone can complain about the things they knew being a pilot brought along.

TheWeatherman
06-15-2018, 11:31 AM
Bud if you don’t like the schedule of a pilot then you should probably cut your losses and work another field where you can be home more. What exactly did you think the pilot life was? I’m not saying it in a bad way I’m really curious what type of salary and life style would please you. If you’re complaining about being away from home it’s like complaining you don’t want to travel for work but you want to be a pilot.

Where did I say that this isn’t what I expected or that I don’t enjoy this lifestyle. Please try to follow the conversation. I just don’t like ignorant statements that say just because you credited 24 hours you only worked 24 hours and that time away from home shouldn’t be considered part of your work. Public sees that we have 15 days off a month, but when we are gone we are gone. Take the total time at home between an airline pilot and your average full time worker, and they beat us out.

Geardownflaps30
06-16-2018, 01:00 AM
I bid the best of what my sonority allows. One 4 day trip with 24 hours credit, away from home 108 hours. The current manning situation at Republic doesn't exactly allow a low seniority person to be creative with their bidding.

You equate being away from base/home for 108 hours to working 108 hours?!?! Wow. Words escape me. Emojis will
Have to do. 😫🧐🤨😳🤔🤪

4V14T0R
06-16-2018, 07:58 AM
You equate being away from base/home for 108 hours to working 108 hours?!?! Wow. Words escape me. Emojis will

Have to do. [emoji31]🧐🤨[emoji15][emoji848]🤪

Not only that but you can’t do a 4 day in 108 hours. Days would need to be 27 hours and you would have to start the day at midnight and finish at midnight for that to be the case. This dude has a very large mouth with little to back it up and he’s new to cap it off.

“The current manning situation at Republic doesn’t exactly allow doesn’t exactly allow a low seniority person to be creative with their bidding.”

No that’s just called being junior. It works the same at every other airline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWeatherman
06-16-2018, 11:46 AM
I'll just let you yes voters keep circlejerking each other while you continue to misconstrued my comments. Good day.

4V14TOR, the offer still stands. If you think I need to be "put into my place" you are more then welcome to try it in person.

Av8r75
06-16-2018, 01:10 PM
BUMP....

You truly show your ignorance with all the manly threats from behind a keyboard. Cut it out...this is why sometimes this forum is not helpful.

If you want to pick fights go start your own thread. There you can gripe about your job, the company, your life for that matter.

I have read through this thread and it is you who are misconstruing what others have said. For someone who is quite new to this industry, you sure know it all and have very deep opinions.

You and I spoke back and forth in another thread when you were griping about paying taxes on ATP/CTP training!

So to use a word you used on me....maybe try being in this industry for 25 plus year there "squirt" and then people will respect your opinions of a job you just started.

Hope I never fly with you [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TheWeatherman
06-16-2018, 01:44 PM
BUMP....

You truly show your ignorance with all the manly threats from behind a keyboard. Cut it out...this is why sometimes this forum is not helpful.

If you want to pick fights go start your own thread. There you can gripe about your job, the company, your life for that matter.

I have read through this thread and it is you who are misconstruing what others have said. For someone who is quite new to this industry, you sure know it all and have very deep opinions.

You and I spoke back and forth in another thread when you were griping about paying taxes on ATP/CTP training!

So to use a word you used on me....maybe try being in this industry for 25 plus year there "squirt" and then people will respect your opinions of a job you just started.

Hope I never fly with you [emoji41]

Hey Gramps! Good to see you again, stalk much? You lifers sure don't like people disagreeing with you. I couldn't care less.

cf105
06-16-2018, 01:51 PM

WORD!! Well said.

Av8r75
06-16-2018, 01:55 PM
It's not about disagreement...its about actually being helpful instead of complaining all the time. You will go far with that attitude. Hope you don't talk to people in person the way you do on APC. You probably don't though...so easy when you are behind a keyboard.

Take care.

TheWeatherman
06-16-2018, 02:13 PM
It's not about disagreement...its about actually being helpful instead of complaining all the time. You will go far with that attitude. Hope you don't talk to people in person the way you do on APC. You probably don't though...so easy when you are behind a keyboard.

Take care.

k, sorry I hurt your feelings somehow. Anxiously await your next stalking post in whatever random thread you find me in.

buddies8
06-16-2018, 05:06 PM
Hey Gramps! Good to see you again, stalk much? You lifers sure don't like people disagreeing with you. I couldn't care less.

Oh that's the normal response from someone who knows not much.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1