Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Upgrades?

CH1203
06-12-2018, 07:44 AM
Hey all.
Just had a friend text me saying Republic is terrible and all that good stuff. Rumors basically. His main point for not choosing Republic was the "5 to 7 year upgrade time". Holding a junior base, what would a realistic upgrade time be? Sorry if this has been answered in previous posts, I couldn't find any recent ones. Thanks!

knewyork
06-12-2018, 08:15 AM
Hey all.
Just had a friend text me saying Republic is terrible and all that good stuff. Rumors basically. His main point for not choosing Republic was the "5 to 7 year upgrade time". Holding a junior base, what would a realistic upgrade time be? Sorry if this has been answered in previous posts, I couldn't find any recent ones. Thanks!

Lol. Itís 2.75 years and will likely continue to drop. Several Jan Ď16 hires just got the award.

3 years ago it was 5-7 years but a lot has changed. Tell your buddy to change his calendar.

4V14T0R
06-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Lol. Itís 2.75 years and will likely continue to drop. Several Jan Ď16 hires just got the award.

3 years ago it was 5-7 years but a lot has changed. Tell your buddy to change his calendar.

Haha. I had to double check when the OP started this thread. Thatís about the most laughable rumor Iíve heard lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CH1203
06-12-2018, 12:19 PM

I figured. Just wanted accurate information. Thanks for the reply.

knewyork
06-12-2018, 03:10 PM
I figured. Just wanted accurate information. Thanks for the reply.

No worries

Geardownflaps30
06-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Yup. Exactly 2.5 yrs on the last captain award.

njd1
06-13-2018, 05:08 AM
Yup. Exactly 2.5 yrs on the last captain award.

Is it correct to say that the award time is dropping because of an increased number of airplanes or increased flying (or both?) Just curious what has happened in the last few years that caused the drop from 5-7 years and what might reverse it.

fortyeight
06-13-2018, 05:15 AM
Is it correct to say that the award time is dropping because of an increased number of airplanes or increased flying (or both?) Just curious what has happened in the last few years that caused the drop from 5-7 years and what might reverse it.

Both. Losing flying/airplanes/unable to attract new hires will reverse it.

TurbineTime
06-13-2018, 07:16 AM

Award time is dropping because the company knows that they canít compete with their competitors. When you upgrade you will spend roughly 60% of your time in the right seat (albeit at a significantly higher pay rate). They are forcing more upgrades then they need to artificially lower our upgrade time. For the outstation lifers who want nothing more than a better paycheck, Iím sure itís fine. For those who upgrade to try and get their TPIC and get out, it will be a disappointment.

We canít retain FOís because the LCCís pay so much now, and our regional competition have flow, better pay, better bases etc. As a new captain you WILL be covering the FO seat more and more frequently as our FO retention issue worsens.

KCaviator
06-13-2018, 10:18 AM
Hey all.

Your ďfriendĒ is a *********g idiot.

Iíll upgrade in the next few months and I was a February 2016 hire. You do the math. Clearly your ďfriendĒ has something against Republic. Mustíve been turned down at some point.

cf105
06-13-2018, 11:37 AM
Hey all.

find new friend, yours seems to be an idiot.

upgrade is at 2.6-3 years.

Holding a junior base has nothing to do with upgrade.

Geardownflaps30
06-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Award time is dropping because the company knows that they canít compete with their competitors. When you upgrade you will spend roughly 60% of your time in the right seat (albeit at a significantly higher pay rate). They are forcing more upgrades then they need to artificially lower our upgrade time. For the outstation lifers who want nothing more than a better paycheck, Iím sure itís fine. For those who upgrade to try and get their TPIC and get out, it will be a disappointment.

We canít retain FOís because the LCCís pay so much now, and our regional competition have flow, better pay, better bases etc. As a new captain you WILL be covering the FO seat more and more frequently as our FO retention issue worsens.

FYI...your mileage may vary. I upgraded less than 6 months ago and hold a lovely line of 15-17 days off/month in LGA. I havenít flown right seat a single hour (or part of an hour) since upgrading. The 60% figure is misleading.

As to why upgrades accelerating? Virtually no one was hired in 2015 and very few in 2014, so those years were gone through disproportionately fast compared to other years. Upgrades currently into 2016 date of hires. Many were hired in 2016 so upgrades will slow again. 2.5 yrs is about the best youíll see here without additional airframes.

njd1
06-13-2018, 06:31 PM
As to why upgrades accelerating? Virtually no one was hired in 2015 and very few in 2014, so those years were gone through disproportionately fast compared to other years. Upgrades currently into 2016 date of hires. Many were hired in 2016 so upgrades will slow again. 2.5 yrs is about the best you’ll see here without additional airframes.

Are there any plans for additional airframes or more flying?

The pilot I spoke to recently said the amount of flying has been more or less the same (i.e. it is not increasing) and openly admitted career progression is an issue here.

TurbineTime
06-13-2018, 07:33 PM
FYI...your mileage may vary. I upgraded less than 6 months ago and hold a lovely line of 15-17 days off/month in LGA. I havenít flown right seat a single hour (or part of an hour) since upgrading. The 60% figure is misleading.

As to why upgrades accelerating? Virtually no one was hired in 2015 and very few in 2014, so those years were gone through disproportionately fast compared to other years. Upgrades currently into 2016 date of hires. Many were hired in 2016 so upgrades will slow again. 2.5 yrs is about the best youíll see here without additional airframes.

Congrats on being an anomaly. Anyone who had upgraded in the last 4 months and into the indefinite future will sit in the right seat with increasing frequency. This months bid shows 3-4 FO reserve lines in every base, 20-23 Capt reserve lines in the same bases. The company is clearly staffing captains to cover FO flying.

glassnpowder98
06-13-2018, 07:59 PM
Congrats on being an anomaly. Anyone who had upgraded in the last 4 months and into the indefinite future will sit in the right seat with increasing frequency. This months bid shows 3-4 FO reserve lines in every base, 20-23 Capt reserve lines in the same bases. The company is clearly staffing captains to cover FO flying.

I think summer flying has stretched out FO staffing so itís more a matter of timing when you upgrade. Bases probably also factor into the equation. Not saying it wonít get worse with all the FOís leaving for LCCs but I only sat right seat twice in six months through the winter and part of spring on reserve.

cf105
06-16-2018, 01:40 PM

Yes, it makes so much business sense to staff up captains that you're going to pay yellow and red flag, to replace FOs that you would pay a quarter of the price. Definitely their strategy. LOL

TurbineTime
06-16-2018, 02:07 PM
Yes, it makes so much business sense to staff up captains that you're going to pay yellow and red flag, to replace FOs that you would pay a quarter of the price. Definitely their strategy. LOL

Iím not sure if youíre trolling or just didnít comprehend what I said. Captains arenít making yellow or red to cover the right seat on RESERVE. When youíre fat on captain reserves here, you fly in the right seat at MMG. Again, weíre talking about RESERVE captains, not guys picking up on their days off.

The company is upgrading way more than they need to and staffing the right seat with reserves who they were going to pay anyway. Makes sense to me....