Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : The Outstation Regional

fortyeight
06-14-2018, 07:53 AM
I've been pretty vocal on here about the way this company treats ORD and hub basing in general. But this is getting ridiculous.

To any prospective pilots out there, consider all options before you decide on Republic. ORD specifically has seen the loss of American and now Delta flying. ORD resembles what an outstation should look like, barely 250 pairings for the month of July and a fraction of the pilots compared to IND and CMH. Yes, there is a place for outstation basing, but to the extent Republic utilizes it? Probably not. We're not flying Q's anymore. CBA's are catching up, QOL, flow, career path, etc. are all working against RPA in this ever increasing "pilot shortage." But this company continues to push the outstation model. Unless you live in CMH, PIT, or IND I can not for the life of me understand why future pilots would consider this place. I'd like to say I can't believe the company is up to this again, but I've been here long enough that watching ORD whither away to nothing is par for the course.

Rant over, maybe the reverend will have a coming to light moment and run this airline the way it should be.

fgross90
06-14-2018, 08:07 AM
I've been pretty vocal on here about the way this company treats ORD and hub basing in general. But this is getting ridiculous.

To any prospective pilots out there, consider all options before you decide on Republic. ORD specifically has seen the loss of American and now Delta flying. ORD resembles what an outstation should look like, barely 250 pairings for the month of July and a fraction of the pilots compared to IND and CMH. Yes, there is a place for outstation basing, but to the extent Republic utilizes it? Probably not. We're not flying Q's anymore. CBA's are catching up, QOL, flow, career path, etc. are all working against RPA in this ever increasing "pilot shortage." But this company continues to push the outstation model. Unless you live in CMH, PIT, or IND I can not for the life of me understand why future pilots would consider this place. I'd like to say I can't believe the company is up to this again, but I've been here long enough that watching ORD whither away to nothing is par for the course.

Rant over, maybe the reverend will have a coming to light moment and run this airline the way it should be.

Yea itís annoying, but still a good regional to fly for. Just sucks for ORD FOs who will upgrade and never see Chicago again.

Flightcap
06-14-2018, 10:07 AM
I was CMH based and later ORD based. I liked both bases. As a place to live the outstations are really nice. If you're planning to move to your base, the outstation model is a non-issue. But if you plan to commute from anywhere west of the Mississippi then yes, consider the fact that if you choose Republic you will never ever upgrade in ORD. Still a good company at which to start your 121 career. But take the outstation model into account if you're a commuter.

KCaviator
06-14-2018, 10:58 AM
Let me help you: Consider all other options if you want ORD. For everyone else, Republic is and will continue to be a great place to work. Believe it or not, a lot of people love outstations. Sorry your feelings were hurt.

chrisreedrules
06-14-2018, 11:04 AM
Sounds a lot like PSA.

Flightcap
06-14-2018, 05:00 PM
Let me help you: Consider all other options if you want ORD. For everyone else, Republic is and will continue to be a great place to work. Believe it or not, a lot of people love outstations. Sorry your feelings were hurt.

This. The outstation topic is the fastest way to start an argument at any crew room. But the reality is that most if not all of the people who are based at the outstations like the outstation base where they live. And the outstations are still our largest bases. So I think it's fair to say that outspoken complaints about the outstation bases are coming from a vocal minority.

cf105
06-16-2018, 01:48 PM
Ouatations or hubs, who cares. Find an airline where you would have the less commute to work if thats important for you.

who would want to be ORD based, where the most junior CA line was hired in 2005. what a joke. ****ty weather, ****ty airport, definitely not the place you want to be as a reserve FO or CA unless you live an hour away max, taking into account heavy traffic and blizzards.

I do feel bad for the Chitown crews seeing their flying go away, happened to other bases, will happen to other bases (for the time being, could come back, grow, die, grow again, go away again, die, resurrect, all within a year - welcome to contract airlines where your clients decide where they want the planes and pilots)

I am suspicious RAH keeps, ad will keep, MIA, ORD and some of these dying bases open just for recruiting PR.

Crown
06-18-2018, 07:00 AM
the reality every one of you at RAH needs to understand is this company was founded/built on outstation basing. Your wonderful CEO would only have outstations if the partners he flies for would allow it. Why do you think GSO was a thing? It was so much easier than opening a base in CLT. The only reason it closed was it was literally a 10 CA/FO base. What a joke.

RAH is toxic to QOL. Always will be.

aviatormjc
06-18-2018, 08:16 AM
AA flying leaving ORD has little to do with outstation basing. Republic never had AA flying in ORD, but STL. When AA closed STL the 140 flying had to shift somewhere. They ended up moving it to ORD which went against American Eagle's (Envoy) contract allowing other regionals to operate in their bases.

CHQ AA flying moving to ORD was never likely to become permanent. As the 140s went away and 170s came for AA, it was more of a placeholder for Envoy to ramp up their 170s and reclaim their several closed bases.

I don't feel RP is to blame for AA flying leaving ORD but more American's decision to make Envoy the regional of choice for ORD. I do believe MIA is next as it is a huge recruiting tool for Envoy and a big disappointment for Envoy crews when they closed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stfoley23
06-18-2018, 01:08 PM

As opposed to what better options? Wait a year for training at Endeavor or one of the American WOís ? All my friends with Republic have nothing but good things to say and I look forward to starting class in July. Itís a regional airline and I feel like sometimes people lose that perspective.

Mjm8710
06-19-2018, 02:37 AM
Donít get the whole outstation arguement..rah has a very long history of that so take that into account before you come here and then complain. Iíve had nothing but a great experience here and the reason I switched from my previous airline is because there is an outstation base where I live. I keep seeing people say on here RAH is a drain on QOL, but it hasnít been for me especially if this place offers a base where you grew up. If you have bad QOL maybe move to base instead of commuting. 15-18 days off each month, drive to work, great crews, hotels are getting better..nothing but good things to say.

TJBrass
06-19-2018, 03:58 AM
"Pilots should not buy homes, they should rent."
"You choose to commute".
- the Rev

blindfayth
06-19-2018, 04:09 AM
Can someone PM me and show me examples of what a typical schedule out of CMH looks like? I just accepted a Sept class date, and will be moving to CMH to make life easier.

TJBrass
06-19-2018, 04:33 AM
CMH is a mx base so generally trips start early {5-7) and end late (10 -11). CMH is also a two leg commute from most places.

Horia
06-19-2018, 12:30 PM
CMH is a mx base so generally trips start early {5-7) and end late (10 -11). CMH is also a two leg commute from most places.
How about PIT, in regards to starting and ending trip times?

Geardownflaps30
06-20-2018, 05:22 AM
How about PIT, in regards to starting and ending trip times?

Same as CMH and IND...all mtc bases and outstations.

That said, I was IND based for 5 years and held back end commutable trips for the last 2-3 of those years before switching bases.

sflpilot
06-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Watch out when they close an out station. The BUF crews went absolutely nuts when they shut their base down.

TJBrass
06-21-2018, 02:37 PM
Watch out when they close an out station. The BUF crews went absolutely nuts when they shut their base down.

...and MCO, and STL and DEN, and CLE and SDF and CHQ/ORD and...

Space Ranger
06-21-2018, 02:56 PM

Grass is always greener on the other side my dude. Come on over to 9E. There you will live in the most densely populated urban area in the country, pay the highest cost for qol in the country, and be able to enjoy people,on top of you and flow programs on day 5 during your last turn. Iíd love to be able to leisurely drive into work, hop on my plane and go...careful what you wish for.

Just my .02

samc
07-04-2018, 01:48 AM
The problem at RAH for years, was base instability. These days they seem to have figured it out a bit. For awhile they had opened/closed/displaced/in/out of something like 15 bases in a handful of years. One guy was displaced 5 times in one year. Out station bases are more susceptible to closure but RAH seems to have stabilized it a bit.

That said, when ~100+ pilots used to live in DEN or West, people would say, ďOh DEN closedĒ ( for the third time), why donít you just move to IND, CMH or GSO? ďUhm no thanks. Iíd rather complain or switch companies.Ē

SpeedyVagabond
07-04-2018, 06:09 AM
Itís a regional airline and I feel like sometimes people lose that perspective.

Exactly. But that said, every year the gap between mainline and some of the regionals such as RP narrows. Iím looking to move on myself but completely understand why some stay. Iíll never enjoy some of the seniority perks I have here at the airline(s) Iím trying to hire on at.

fortyeight
07-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Donít get the whole outstation arguement..rah has a very long history of that so take that into account before you come here and then complain. Iíve had nothing but a great experience here and the reason I switched from my previous airline is because there is an outstation base where I live. I keep seeing people say on here RAH is a drain on QOL, but it hasnít been for me especially if this place offers a base where you grew up. If you have bad QOL maybe move to base instead of commuting. 15-18 days off each month, drive to work, great crews, hotels are getting better..nothing but good things to say.

Ok, that works great for you. Thatís a very small fraction. The outstation model is broken (see losing AA in ORD 2 years ago... AA wanted a mx hangar in their hub, not IND or CMH..) Codeshares are sick of wasting their gas so we can ferry an airplane to an outstation for maintenance. NY, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, etc are all hubs for a reason. Theyíre on the global stage and are ideal to staff at a high level instead of double dhíing everywhere from CMH or IND. The pilot pool in these outstations will dry up very quick. The majority of pilots donít want to double leg it to commute to Columbus or Pit when they upgrade.

Lostboys97
07-10-2018, 09:02 AM
Ok, that works great for you. Thatís a very small fraction. The outstation model is broken (see losing AA in ORD 2 years ago... AA wanted a mx hangar in their hub, not IND or CMH..) Codeshares are sick of wasting their gas so we can ferry an airplane to an outstation for maintenance. NY, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, etc are all hubs for a reason. Theyíre on the global stage and are ideal to staff at a high level instead of double dhíing everywhere from CMH or IND. The pilot pool in these outstations will dry up very quick. The majority of pilots donít want to double leg it to commute to Columbus or Pit when they upgrade.

Republic has no Mx hangar in PHL, DCA, or LGA. All bases and AA hubs. Youíre excuse seems flawed. The planes donít get ferried to CMH, PIT, and IND, they originate and terminate revenue flights. Only when a major unexpected repair needs completed are ferries done. Heavy checks are now in BNA, RME, and some in IND so ferry flights are going to happen for those regardless.

Geardownflaps30
07-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Republic has no Mx hangar in PHL, DCA, or LGA. All bases and AA hubs. Youíre excuse seems flawed. The planes donít get ferried to CMH, PIT, and IND, they originate and terminate revenue flights. Only when a major unexpected repair needs completed are ferries done. Heavy checks are now in BNA, RME, and some in IND so ferry flights are going to happen for those regardless.

True this. LGA hangar was torn down but still about 14 planes sit there every night and get mtc done on them.

Bert Sampson
07-13-2018, 04:16 AM
Codeshares are sick of wasting their gas so we can ferry an airplane to an outstation for maintenance.

If AA and UA ferry their 777s to China for maintenance I'm not sure how much they care about sending a 170 from somewhere east of the Mississippi to CMH or IND.

TJBrass
07-13-2018, 04:25 AM
Its not so much about ferrying mx flights as it is about forcing 15 flights a day through non-hub airports or crewing hub operations through an outstation.

Swakid8
07-13-2018, 01:52 PM

That's a flawed argument because you seeing one of AA's WO's using and growing outstations at maintenance and crew bases.

Jungle Jim
07-13-2018, 03:22 PM
If AA and UA ferry their 777s to China for maintenance I'm not sure how much they care about sending a 170 from somewhere east of the Mississippi to CMH or IND.

Multi-million dollar heavy C, D checks and refurbishment of widebodies ≠ ferrying the scooter to xxx-CMH for any MX event.

MrERJ
07-13-2018, 04:35 PM
So 4/11 bases makes us an outstation regional? PIT used to be a huge hub as well.

It's funny how people think that Republic and its management have that much control on bases. It's all dependent on codeshares. You think Republic doesn't want more hub flying or bases out west? This would be huge for recruiting.

Our outstation bases are due to maintenance and the amount of planes that overnight there for that reason. Why would republic pay three or four times as much to set up maintenance in hubs for probably half the facility they can get in an outstation.

Sounds like a reasonable justification to me.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1