Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Number of apps on file?

Celeste
06-15-2018, 09:31 PM
I'm curious how many applications are on file these days at different companies?

A couple years back most of the legacy carriers were saying they had about 10,000 applications on file. I'm curious if that number has changed?

We had a jumperseater today that was a relatively newhire at one of the AA wholly owned regionals, and he was saying that they were told AA has 19,000 applications on file :eek:. The FO and I were trying to figure out of that's anywhere close to true?? (or, perhaps, it was someone in that company's recruiting trying to scare applicants away from other regionals...)

wilco811
06-15-2018, 10:40 PM
I'm curious how many applications are on file these days at different companies?

A couple years back most of the legacy carriers were saying they had about 10,000 applications on file. I'm curious if that number has changed?

We had a jumperseater today that was a relatively newhire at one of the AA wholly owned regionals, and he was saying that they were told AA has 19,000 applications on file :eek:. The FO and I were trying to figure out of that's anywhere close to true?? (or, perhaps, it was someone in that company's recruiting trying to scare applicants away from other regionals...)

Most likely true. I heard 20,000 apps easy at Delta. It makes sense because almost no one you talk to gets a phone call from those types of places... haha

Ohlsan
06-16-2018, 03:49 AM
When I was at the SWA career fair last year, they had almost 2000 applicants apply within the first few hours of the application window opening.

drywhitetoast
06-16-2018, 03:59 AM
The 19000 apps on file at Delta are more than likely the same apps that are on file at American, United...etc. And out of those 19000 apps how many are actually hiring qualified and not a CFI's with 500hrs? When you think about it in that light the pool of available pilots really isn't that big when compared to upcoming retirements.

rickair7777
06-16-2018, 04:38 AM
It's probably 5k - 7k highly qualified apps at most big majors.... But it's the same 7k.

TransWorld
06-16-2018, 05:37 AM
It's probably 5k - 7k highly qualified apps at most big majors.... But it's the same 7k.

That is about what I am hearing (3k - 7k). Just a few years ago most of the 20,000 RJ Pilots (both CA and FO) would qualify. Some are lifers. A good portion would be highly qualified.

With the movement in the RJs, few FO and newly minted CA (half of the CA?) would be considered highly qualified. (If you are doing math, don’t forget to subtract out lifers, about 2,000 CA.)

Add to that other non-121 highly qualified and exMil (not sure that many exMil highly qualified are out there any more; apps in, just waiting on a call.)

Considering the big 6 now are hiring 4,000 per year (and will increase as the peak of retirements hit), things are going to get real interesting.

Name User
06-16-2018, 05:40 AM

There's really no difference in training someone to fly a EMB170 vs an EMB190, A320, or 737.

In other words, the majors can be picky now because they have that option, but you can't discard all the other thousands of >1,500 TT piston guys out there.

24Whiskey
06-16-2018, 05:43 AM
The 19000 apps on file at Delta are more than likely the same apps that are on file at American, United...etc. And out of those 19000 apps how many are actually hiring qualified and not a CFI's with 500hrs? When you think about it in that light the pool of available pilots really isn't that big when compared to upcoming retirements.

There’s a lot of different demographics in the “never hurts to apply” category. It’s probably (hopefully) close to 50% of the applications...

TransWorld
06-16-2018, 05:48 AM
There’s a lot of different demographics in the “never hurts to apply” category. It’s probably (hopefully) close to 50% of the applications...

If I was a CFI with 1,500 hours I could apply. I would not be considered one of the highly qualified. And, realistically, I would not expect a call.

propbandit
06-16-2018, 06:36 AM
Back in March at my AA interview one of the hiring captains mentioned AA had 15k applications, of which half were qualified. Not sure what he meant by qualified, but he made it sound like half had some sort of negative discriminator and are not being looked at (whether it was DUIs, no degree, multiple checkride failures, did not meet company hiring mins in some way I do not know), leaving the other half of the guys/gals on the list.

Also of note is that AA says they do not have a pilot hiring shortage, ie the 7-8k applications on file, but there is a regional pilot shortage.

jcountry
06-16-2018, 06:51 AM

Very good point.

I don’t know many folks who only applied at one. I know I applied pretty much everywhere

HuggyU2
06-16-2018, 08:57 AM
T...the pool of available pilots really isn't that big when compared to upcoming retirements.

How many are retiring from the US Majors this year?

And how many are they hiring?

"really isn't that big"? Not how I would describe it.

BarrySeal
06-16-2018, 09:30 AM
"qualified" = just that, "qualified"

"competitive" = HR/Chief Pilot's label of desired experience and background for a new-hire. aka B737 type, 4 year degree, 1000 turbine, prior 121 time, etc

This is where the "Our most competitive applicants have.....XYZ" remarks come from

when I hear "15,000" applicants on file, so what ? what is the applicant supposed to do with that number ? exactly. so who cares.

probably 80% of those apps are all the same dudes applying at the other brand name airlines.

rickair7777
06-16-2018, 12:09 PM
There's really no difference in training someone to fly a EMB170 vs an EMB190, A320, or 737.

In other words, the majors can be picky now because they have that option, but you can't discard all the other thousands of >1,500 TT piston guys out there.

It's not about training them to pass a type ride, at least 50% of CFI's can do that.

It's about having some credible experience. Most majors can be picky enough to require at least some of that.

When push comes to shove they'll have to decide whether to hire CFI's to fly big jets. At that point their CA's are single pilot (they don't seem to mind that at their regional feeders).

Mesabah
06-16-2018, 12:33 PM
The big three will never have to dip into the pool of undesirables because they ran out of qualified apps. This is because they can mint new pilots from universities, who have a much easier shot at staying clean, than current pilots. With CJO in hand as a college junior, and entering a regional with a refined AQP training program, it's an absolute cake walk.

coryk
06-16-2018, 01:50 PM
I’d guess 4-8k apps, total at each of the big carriers— UA/DL/AA/FDX/SWA/UPS. But it’s all the same 4-8k!

jcountry
06-16-2018, 03:03 PM
I’d guess 4-8k apps, total at each of the big carriers— UA/DL/AA/FDX/SWA/UPS. But it’s all the same 4-8k!

I doubt the number is anywhere near that low. I can probably name 400 fully qualified people that I know personally or who I have worked with-just from a narrow little slice of the industry, just one regional.

Add all regionals plus military and the 20k number is very believable.

But I agree, it’s the same 20k. No one just applies to one or two legacies,anyone with any sense hits them all up.

rickair7777
06-16-2018, 04:49 PM
The big three will never have to dip into the pool of undesirables because they ran out of qualified apps. This is because they can mint new pilots from universities, who have a much easier shot at staying clean, than current pilots. With CJO in hand as a college junior, and entering a regional with a refined AQP training program, it's an absolute cake walk.

True. They are more concerned with appearances than experience, so they can pump kids through a safe pipeline with a low risk of generating issues.

FLYBOYMATTHEW
06-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Spirit had over 9,000 qualified apps on file 6 years ago when hiring mins were I think 4,000TT/1,000TPIC. Not sure what the number is since hiring really started to spool up throughout the industry and our mins were dropped significantly.

TransWorld
06-16-2018, 08:34 PM
Before the hiring at the majors started to ramp up, it was widely reported, even directly from HR departments, there were 10,000 unique well qualified apps.

Hiring has picked up for a couple of years, so now there are twice as many, 20,000 unique well qualified apps? Something does not make sense!

Incidentally, there are 20,000 regional pilots. Those that are FO and the newly upgraded CA would not be called well qualified for the majors. Remember, some CA (generally accepted as 2,000) are lifers, as well.

John Carr
06-16-2018, 09:16 PM
Those that are FO and the newly upgraded CA would not be called well qualified for the majors.

In a bygone era......

There have been many hired that are fresh/newly minted CA’s.

All it took was the recency of a training cycle/upgrade (vs. the one that HASNT) to finally check a box/drive the app score to warrant and email for start of the selection process.

sflpilot
06-20-2018, 01:53 PM

This is the ultimate question. What will happen with the undesirables in the retirement wave. The regionals have been loading their ranks with all kinds of people over the years that the legacies would never touch at least in the past. It could get bad for these folks if we see regional shutdowns and mainline brings the flying back. Even LCC's may not be an option in the future. Scott Kirby was openly discussing at an aviation conference about how United could get back in to JFK and how he did not see an "organic" option. I think we know what that could mean.

rickair7777
06-20-2018, 03:06 PM
Before the hiring at the majors started to ramp up, it was widely reported, even directly from HR departments, there were 10,000 unique well qualified apps.

Hiring has picked up for a couple of years, so now there are twice as many, 20,000 unique well qualified apps? Something does not make sense!

Incidentally, there are 20,000 regional pilots. Those that are FO and the newly upgraded CA would not be called well qualified for the majors. Remember, some CA (generally accepted as 2,000) are lifers, as well.

I think there are more lifers... there are at least 1000 at SKW alone.

Of course the threshold for lifer can fluctuate with market conditions... and conditions at the regional in question.

detpilot
06-20-2018, 04:43 PM
I doubt the number is anywhere near that low. I can probably name 400 fully qualified people that I know personally or who I have worked with-just from a narrow little slice of the industry, just one regional.

Add all regionals plus military and the 20k number is very believable.

But I agree, it’s the same 20k. No one just applies to one or two legacies,anyone with any sense hits them all up.Impressive! I don't think I can name 400 people, total!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BarrySeal
06-20-2018, 07:53 PM
Impressive! I don't think I can name 400 people, total!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

yeah i cant even name 400 humans if i thought of all my friends, neighbors, movie actors, tv stars, comic book heros, etc. heck i cant even come up with 200

glad that other poster can

:confused: