Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Headphones in the terminal

McNugent
06-17-2018, 11:25 AM
I tried the search function and didnít find anyone complaining about this one yet.

So Iím in ORD wandering around H terminal and this younger FO (Envoy or AA, I canít tell anymore) goes walking by wearing Bose wireless headsets. In full uniform. This was the third time Iíve seen guys do this. It takes a lot to irk me, but this one really does. It just seems extremely unprofessional and makes us all look bad. Ear buds were bad enough!

Iím a big fan of using them while on a deadhead or commute to keep my sanity, but while walking from gate to gate? Come on!

Maybe Iím just getting crotchety and old. That is all.

Javichu
06-17-2018, 11:30 AM
May I ask what is wrong with that?. I do it myself, that's why I got them, to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McNugent
06-17-2018, 11:41 AM
You canít walk from one gate to another without wearing noise canceling headsets?

WesternSkies
06-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Yeah but they are black.
I saw one bebopping to music on a walk around. Ugh

Personally I donít like the ear buds, yet I canít square that with being ok with a guy walking around with a phone on his ear.

There was a time when a generation thought call waiting was rude. The further i get away from making phone calls I can see how it was rude.

Javichu
06-17-2018, 11:43 AM
Not from gate to gate but if I'm waiting for a flight, absolutely. Even if it was from gate to gate, what's wrong with it.

DickBurns
06-17-2018, 11:52 AM
May I ask what is wrong with that?. I do it myself, that's why I got them, to use them.

I also have them and I bought them to use them. I also have sunglasses, a backpack, a fishing pole, a bar stocked up with liquor, golf shoes, and lots of other items which I purchased with the intention of using. There is a time and a place. Walking around the terminal in uniform with full headphone on looks unprofessional.

Javichu
06-17-2018, 11:56 AM
Just wow. Have a great day guys!.

tomgoodman
06-17-2018, 12:25 PM
Maybe the guy was noise-canceling the hideous beeps from those electric carts in the concourse. I suspect the drivers wear ear plugs, lest they flip out and run screaming through an emergency exit. :p

NoDeskJob
06-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Iím from the under 40 crowd, and I agree with OP.

Look sharp boys and girls. I donít know of any FOM that requires or allows headphones/earbuds while walking through the terminal.

AC560
06-17-2018, 01:01 PM
When you all start wearing long sleeve dress shirts like all the people in the front of the cabin, then you can start throwing rocks.

crewdawg
06-17-2018, 01:08 PM
Well under 40 and I agree with the OP. Very unprofessional to be walking through the terminal in uniform with them on. Sitting at the gate/waiting on a flight, have at it.

ORDinary
06-17-2018, 01:10 PM
Not from gate to gate but if I'm waiting for a flight, absolutely. Even if it was from gate to gate, what's wrong with it.

Are you serious? In uniform?

galleycafe
06-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Does the FOM say I can have coffee?!?!

Please say yes please say yes.

Plane Coffee

kme9418
06-17-2018, 01:13 PM
I'm 43. One more vote in support of the OP. Professionalism.

DickBurns
06-17-2018, 01:14 PM
When you all start wearing long sleeve dress shirts like all the people in the front of the cabin, then you can start throwing rocks.

Since the company provides short sleeve shirts....

galleycafe
06-17-2018, 01:14 PM
But the coffee!

My vote is for coffee.

Plane Coffee

Javichu
06-17-2018, 01:20 PM
I must be getting it wrong, because I just don't get it.

When I'm done with my flying, and while commuting---> walking through the terminal, waiting to board, and during the flight, etc.....yes I use them. Why on earth would that be unprofessional?.

If I was on duty, with my crew, etc....I'd never do that obviously. Maybe that's what the OP meant and I misunderstood.

galleycafe
06-17-2018, 01:28 PM
I still haven't heard about the coffee.

Plane Coffee

DickBurns
06-17-2018, 01:30 PM

Plane Coffee

Are we talkin' during the walk-around?

N311JB
06-17-2018, 01:30 PM
I use mine all the time to stay hands free when Iím on the phone, or when Iím usung an audiobook or podcast What does it matter? But lemme guess, itís ok to be 80lbs overweight and look professional? The guys complaining probably use a cellphone holder on their belt too. Velcro black shoes?

tomgoodman
06-17-2018, 01:35 PM

Plane Coffee

You must wear headphones to hear that. :D

Stratapilot
06-17-2018, 01:46 PM
I tried the search function and didnít find anyone complaining about this one yet.

So Iím in ORD wandering around H terminal and this younger FO (Envoy or AA, I canít tell anymore) goes walking by wearing Bose wireless headsets. In full uniform. This was the third time Iíve seen guys do this. It takes a lot to irk me, but this one really does. It just seems extremely unprofessional and makes us all look bad. Ear buds were bad enough!

Iím a big fan of using them while on a deadhead or commute to keep my sanity, but while walking from gate to gate? Come on!

Ah, this olí chestnut...

galleycafe
06-17-2018, 01:48 PM

There's one vote for coffee!

Plane Coffee

galleycafe
06-17-2018, 01:49 PM
You must wear headphones to hear that. :D

There's two votes!

Plane Coffee

DickBurns
06-17-2018, 02:01 PM
There's one vote for coffee!

Plane Coffee

Yes, but only if you actually kick the tires with the cup in your hand.

McNugent
06-17-2018, 02:03 PM
I must be getting it wrong, because I just don't get it.

When I'm done with my flying, and while commuting---> walking through the terminal, waiting to board, and during the flight, etc.....yes I use them. Why on earth would that be unprofessional?.

If I was on duty, with my crew, etc....I'd never do that obviously. Maybe that's what the OP meant and I misunderstood.

Throw on another shirt. Blend in with the non crew folk. People donít know youíre ďoff dutyĒ. Youíre just another pilot to everyone. Youíre not like a taxi with a light up saying saying youíre off.

tonsterboy5
06-17-2018, 02:12 PM
I can see how this is unprofessional, but then again maybe itís just my former military self speaking here. When in a uniform you arerepresenting your airline and/or pilots in general. Kids and such look up to you and may just want to say hi so they can be all happy for the rest of the day knowing they talked to a pilot. Secondly you are in uniform in your place of work, I know we are not information booths but people might want to ask a question or say something as we are ďuniformed airline representivesĒ so we should make ourselves available or take off the uniform if we donít want to be available. (You know how the pager says if you see something please let security know or a uniformed airline representative)

galleycafe
06-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Yes, but only if you actually kick the tires with the cup in your hand.

Three votes!

Plane Coffee

Qotsaautopilot
06-17-2018, 03:04 PM
Noise cancelling headphones, a backpack on shoulder(s), and sunglasses on head facing forward and especially backward do not belong with a pilot uniform. On duty or not, if you are in uniform you represent us all and those three things make us all look toolish.

In the cockpit wear your sunglasses. On a commute or sitting at the gate waiting feel free to use headphones. Not moving about in the public eye. Backpack? Really? Honestly, even strapped to your roller is semi-toolish imo. Get a big boy bag. We aren’t on a camping trip or going to high school.

When walking through the airport you know who’s traveling for business. Between the people in suits with a nice bag, and those with a polo and a backpack, who do you think are the pros and who is a hack just scrapping out a living? No one knows for sure but I know what we can assume by appearances alone.

Look like a pro.

DickBurns
06-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Noise cancelling headphones, a backpack on shoulder(s), and sunglasses on head facing forward and especially backward do not belong with a pilot uniform. On duty or not, if you are in uniform you represent us all and those three things make us all look toolish.

In the cockpit wear your sunglasses. On a commute or sitting at the gate waiting feel free to use headphones. Not moving about in the public eye. Backpack? Really? Honestly, even strapped to your roller is semi-toolish imo. Get a big boy bag. We arenít on a camping trip or going to high school.

When walking through the airport you know whoís traveling for business. Between the people in suits with a nice bag, and those with a polo and a backpack, who do you think are the pros and who is a hack just scrapping out a living? No one knows for sure but I know what we can assume by appearances alone.

Look like a pro.

Since I'm the only one that mentioned a backpack, can assume you were talking about me? I was making the point that just because I own something and intend to use it, there is a time and place. I also mentioned a fishing pole and golf shoes.

Qotsaautopilot
06-17-2018, 03:15 PM
I understood.

I have seen pilots with backpacks on their shoulders. Many strapped to their bag. I wasn’t referring to you.

Many many with sunglasses on their head and a few super douches with them backward on their head. Even out of uniform backward is douchey

DickBurns
06-17-2018, 03:16 PM
I understood.

I have seen pilots with backpacks on their shoulders. Many strapped to their bag. I wasnít referring to you

Ah, gotcha.

ORDinary
06-17-2018, 04:34 PM
If I was on duty, with my crew, etc....I'd never do that obviously.

So can I ask why would you never "obviously" do that when you're still on duty?

Whatever your answer is for that is the same answer for when you are in uniform in an airport but off duty.

Javichu
06-17-2018, 04:55 PM
So can I ask why would you never "obviously" do that when you're still on duty?

Whatever your answer is for that is the same answer for when you are in uniform in an airport but off duty.

This actually happened once, because I don't commute. I finished my flight at Oakland, parked the plane, and walked to my gate to catch my flight. With uniform, and listening a podcast. No drama

Ala5ka
06-17-2018, 05:58 PM
32, total aggrement with op. I think it looks unprofessional but what irritates me most is that in our day in age people canít go without some sort of external stimulation. Just walk. Also hate heads down people walking while texting.

galleycafe
06-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Get off my lawn!

And bring me a Plane Coffee.

jcountry
06-17-2018, 07:11 PM

Itís not a bug, itís a feature.

The idiot will never hear you coming when you roundhouse him in his junk.

DENpilot
06-17-2018, 07:43 PM
This actually happened once, because I don't commute. I finished my flight at Oakland, parked the plane, and walked to my gate to catch my flight. With uniform, and listening a podcast. No drama

Jeezus man, are you that desperate for something in your ears that you must listen to a podcast to walk gate to gate??? How pathetic!

LRSRanger
06-17-2018, 08:04 PM
I'm not a 121 guy yet, but I've been known to walk through the terminal with headphones on connected to nothing just because I don't want someone to try talking to me... In my case I just want to hear nothing.

Jeezus man, are you that desperate for something in your ears that you must listen to a podcast to walk gate to gate??? How pathetic!

Javichu
06-17-2018, 08:30 PM

Read you again, who's pathetic clown.

Aero1900
06-18-2018, 12:46 AM
We need to get some more Delta guys on this thread so they can tell us what's truly professional. Let them set the standard we can all look up to.

Hetman
06-18-2018, 01:33 AM
Agree with OP, but don't lose any sleep over it. 5% rule.

TheRoboFighter
06-18-2018, 03:02 AM
I use mine all the time to stay hands free when Iím on the phone, or when Iím usung an audiobook or podcast What does it matter? But lemme guess, itís ok to be 80lbs overweight and look professional? The guys complaining probably use a cellphone holder on their belt too. Velcro black shoes?

^^^^^^ Nailed It!^^^^^^^^^

crxpilot
06-18-2018, 04:13 AM

Are you going to have a chit chat with said person but that new fangled technology just scares you? Seriously, quit being a nosy Nancy and worry about your own life. I am sure it wouldnt be that hard to cast stones at you about sonething equally as irritating.

And no, I dont use or even own any kind of headset that you are alluding to.........and I could really care less what the next guy does. Did the paycheck clear again? Great.....life is good!

ORDinary
06-18-2018, 04:21 AM

But you said you would obviously never do it when on duty. Why not?

McNugent
06-18-2018, 05:01 AM
Are you going to have a chit chat with said person but that new fangled technology just scares you? Seriously, quit being a nosy Nancy and worry about your own life. I am sure it wouldnt be that hard to cast stones at you about sonething equally as irritating.

And no, I dont use or even own any kind of headset that you are alluding to.........and I could really care less what the next guy does. Did the paycheck clear again? Great.....life is good!

U mad, bro?

Javichu
06-18-2018, 05:25 AM

Exactly

Javichu
06-18-2018, 05:30 AM
It's unprofessional you knucklehead. :rolleyes:

Don't use them

rightside02
06-18-2018, 05:51 AM
The unprofessionalism comes from all facets people .

OP yes the younger or tend to be younger generation who wears a backpack and sun glasses and ear buds in the terminal . I agree looks freaking terrible .

Then again , the mainline guy who hasnít purchased a new shirt since he first upgraded on the L10-11 so itís **** color yellow , 65 pounds overweight , shoes that belong on a 3 year old , the list goes on.

Certainly we are talking about the two percenters here but still looks terrible on both ends.

We def have our fair share at United , but I will say the legacy Us Airway Guys were the worst Iíd seen. Man they nearly looked homeless minus the fact that they were wearing a wrinkled pilot uniform .

ORDinary
06-18-2018, 06:04 AM

Sorry that's not how the world works. Public image and opinion matters, and each of represents the whole profession in some way whether we like it or not.

Javichu
06-18-2018, 06:29 AM
So what about this forum and the way MANY pilots talk to each other. Is that professional? Or because "regular" people are not reading this, pilots can be arrogant and rude 60% of the time.

Purpleanga
06-18-2018, 06:39 AM
Throw on another shirt. Blend in with the non crew folk. People donít know youíre ďoff dutyĒ. Youíre just another pilot to everyone. Youíre not like a taxi with a light up saying saying youíre off.

I'm with you. And I'm younger. I'm also amazed at the level of disagreements you are getting on here regarding this problem especially since we are "professionals". But after all pilots are just people. I know wearing the monkey suit and flying jets makes us think otherwise but if you take off your uniform you're no different than anyone. We still have feelings, some of us even secretly... like Taylor swift. So the reason why I believe you saw a pilot in uniform looking like Deuche DJ in front of passengers in a terminal is a very deep ontological, metaphysical and psychological study into modern day humans.

First off all why is a pilot wearing his DJ headsets in front of people in uniform? Because he doesn't give a **** about his image and his needs at that moment are being filled by the music. Ok why does his needs take precedence over the fact that he looks like an idiot infront of everyone. Because again he just doesn't care. Why doesn't he care? Because deep down he is unhappy about something. I think in general humanity is getting unhappier as life has become so easy and predictable that it's nor fulfilling. They're expectations are not being met. Kate spade and Anthony Bourdain are one examples. The guy can't just sit there and enjoy the fact that he's in a modern marvel airport with planes all around and people all around him and just accept that he's a professional pilot and he has an image to uphold. He would rather listen to Taylor Swift to make the pain of his situation a bit more bearable. One guy on here even said he puts on headphones with no music just so passengers won't talk to him. Even others at the airport and in society, nobody except for traveling nuns and monks can just sit there and accept things as they are. They need constant stimulation even if it ruins their image. The issue is deeper on a subconscious level, even metaphysical and existential.

crxpilot
06-18-2018, 06:49 AM
Sorry that's not how the world works. Public image and opinion matters, and each of represents the whole profession in some way whether we like it or not.

Um, have you seen the "public"? They are all looking at their phones and listening on their headphones (you know the ones people on here are complaining about). They don't give a damn about your chest thumping high and mighty image.

Purpleanga
06-18-2018, 06:55 AM
Um, have you seen the "public"? They are all looking at their phones and listening on their headphones (you know the ones people on here are complaining about). They don't give a damn about your chest thumping high and mighty image.

I get calls from back home once in a while of them complaining about how dirty a pilot looked or how nice. They are watching you.

Javichu
06-18-2018, 06:56 AM
My goodness. I listen a podcast about politics, to be informed about what's happening in the world. Black Bose, no DJ headsets with Taylor Swift lol.
This forum is something else seriously.

NeverHome
06-18-2018, 07:18 AM
My .02

Yes we need to present a professional image. And true that pax donít see on duty/ off duty, they just see pilot.

Buuuuttttt, on the other hand, us in the younger crowd are not shown a great example from our own airline management or even our senior peers. Consider that my company has our planes parked at a hard stand with half the paint gone on the nose. Terrible. Or even mismatched paint schemes on our planes. Sad. Or how about the fact that we have so many junior assignments that we have demoralized crews. Sure looks great to the pax.

And then there is the senior peers. Iíve seen on mainline pilots: backpacks on shoulders, long hair, earbuds, swearing in front of pax, tennis shoes, and bad attitudes.

Point here is that yes our image is important, but the decline happened long before many of the young guys you see in the terminal ever took their first lesson.

biigD
06-18-2018, 07:27 AM

This forum is definitely something else. But it doesn't change the fact that you look like an idiot walking around the terminal in uniform with your Bose on.

It's fine, I know you don't care. I don't lose sleep over it either, just as I don't lose sleep over pilots that wear backpacks, guys with terrible looking uniforms, or whatever else.

So do your thing. Just understand that while this board is full of trolls and mainly exists as entertainment value, most of the pilots walking through the terminal think you look like an idiot as well. But like I said, it is what it is. If you don't care, you don't care.

say again
06-18-2018, 07:30 AM
This forum is definitely something else. But it doesn't change the fact that you look like an idiot walking around the terminal in uniform with your Bose on.

It's fine, I know you don't care. I don't lose sleep over it either, just as I don't lose sleep over pilots that wear backpacks, guys with terrible looking uniforms, or whatever else.

So do your thing. Just understand that while this board is full of trolls and mainly exists as entertainment value, most of the pilots walking through the terminal think you look like an idiot as well. But like I said, it is what it is. If you don't care, you don't care.

Certainly can't disagree with this.

Javichu
06-18-2018, 07:32 AM

Oh I'll do my thing for sure. And now that I know that it's annoying for so many pilots, even more. I'd rather look like an idiot than be an arrogant super professional pilot like some of you are.

rickair7777
06-18-2018, 07:34 AM
I'm not a 121 guy yet, but I've been known to walk through the terminal with headphones on connected to nothing just because I don't want someone to try talking to me... In my case I just want to hear nothing.

That's OK... if you're a passenger.

BrewCity
06-18-2018, 07:37 AM
Oh I'll do my thing for sure. And now that I know that it's annoying for so many pilots, even more. I'd rather look like an idiot than be an arrogant super professional pilot like some of you are.

Would you rather be paid like an idiot or an arrogant super professional pilot? Dress for the job you want.

rickair7777
06-18-2018, 07:41 AM
My goodness. I listen a podcast about politics, to be informed about what's happening in the world. Black Bose, no DJ headsets with Taylor Swift lol.

No, actually it's you.

While pilots do not interact with pax as much as other employees, we are definitely being observed... if the pilots look unprofessional, people are going to wonder or even worry. Personal headphones at work are something you might see in the back-office, nobody in any industry does that in public, in front of the customers.

Just thrown on a different shirt, and then you can do whatever you want.

Like BrewCity said, you're also protecting the "brand" of all professional pilots, who want to be paid better than the guy who mans the deep-fat fryer.

Javichu
06-18-2018, 07:42 AM
Would you rather be paid like an idiot or an arrogant super professional pilot? Dress for the job you want.

I agree and I do. Sharp uniform, shinny shoes every morning, shaved, and fancy black flight bag. I respect my profession and worked hard to get here. I study a **** ton to stay sharp on the cockpit. And suddenly, ONE day I used my Bose to commute back to my place and suddenly BOOM, I'm an unprofessional pilot that looks like an idiot.

say again
06-18-2018, 07:47 AM
I agree and I do. Sharp uniform, shinny shoes every morning, shaved, and fancy black flight bag. I respect my profession and worked hard to get here. I study a **** ton to stay sharp on the cockpit. And suddenly, ONE day I used my Bose to commute back to my place and suddenly BOOM, I'm an unprofessional pilot that looks like an idiot.

1st step is to admit your mistakes, the 2nd is to fix them.

WesternSkies
06-18-2018, 07:48 AM

Name one place where you are the customer and the help has headphones on?
I donít even see busboys getting to wear headphones.

todhog2
06-18-2018, 07:48 AM
And suddenly, ONE day I used my Bose to commute back to my place and suddenly BOOM, I'm an unprofessional pilot that looks like an idiot.

That’s all it takes.

GreatBigSea
06-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Just buy something like this to throw on (https://www.columbia.com/mens-tuk-mountain-half-zip-shirt-1654391.html?dwvar_1654391_variationColor=302#pmax =50.00&pmin=25.00&start=0) when you're commuting/walking around the airport if you don't want to be bothered by passengers and listen to your podcasts. Best investment I've ever made.

crxpilot
06-18-2018, 09:14 AM
Name one place where you are the customer and the help has headphones on?
I donít even see busboys getting to wear headphones.
So as you are walking thru the airport You consider yourself the "help"? What, do you do hop behind the counter and start reaccommodating your customers on the computer? You are one talented pilot. You definitely don't want to be wearing those Bose headphones.

CBreezy
06-18-2018, 09:19 AM
No, actually it's you.

While pilots do not interact with pax as much as other employees, we are definitely being observed... if the pilots look unprofessional, people are going to wonder or even worry. Personal headphones at work are something you might see in the back-office, nobody in any industry does that in public, in front of the customers.

Just thrown on a different shirt, and then you can do whatever you want.

Like BrewCity said, you're also protecting the "brand" of all professional pilots, who want to be paid better than the guy who mans the deep-fat fryer.

This 100%. If you walked into a restaurant and the girl standing by the desk with the uniform on has headphones on and ignored you when you asked a question, you would probably complain to a manager. People get lost and confused in airports and the first person they look for is a pilot, because we are one of the most trusted people in an airport. If you blow them off because they are bothering you in your free time, you are doing a great disservice to yourself and your profession. If you don't want to be bothered, throw on something over your shirt.

SUX4U
06-18-2018, 09:28 AM
This 100%. If you walked into a restaurant and the girl standing by the desk with the uniform on has headphones on and ignored you when you asked a question, you would probably complain to a manager. People get lost and confused in airports and the first person they look for is a pilot, because we are one of the most trusted people in an airport. If you blow them off because they are bothering you in your free time, you are doing a great disservice to yourself and your profession. If you don't want to be bothered, throw on something over your shirt.

Well said! Iím a commuter and donít want to be bothered when Iím going to work or heading home. All it takes is tie off, light zip up jacket on and now Iím out of the public eye. When Iím in uniform, I can handle 5-10 minutes of airport walk time from the FPA to the gate without a phone or some form of entertainment.

MiLtoMajor123
06-18-2018, 09:56 AM

Yeah you don't get it (if this is sarcasm).....perception IS reality. We want the public to look up to pilots because of the responsibilities we hold with delicate cargo. Tuned out and in your own world doesn't put off that perception that you respect that Job or Responsibility. Why should the public respect pilots who are tuned out.....over, lets say, AI?
When the Companies/Government start ramming AI down our throats you want the public to think you are worth saving......at least to kick that can down the road. Don't take costumers for granted.....you may hate your company or whatever...but don't shoot the goose that lays the golden eggs. You need to be approachable when you are in uniform....bottom line.

but I've been known to walk through the terminal with headphones on connected to nothing just because I don't want someone to try talking to me... In my case I just want to hear nothing.

You don't work for German Wings do you?

Learflyer
06-18-2018, 10:15 AM
I always get a kick out of professional athletes disembarking busses or airplanes wearing Armani suits while Doctor Dreís BEATS headphones are attached to their heads. Find one player that DOESNíT have one.

say again
06-18-2018, 10:19 AM
So as you are walking thru the airport You consider yourself the "help"? What, do you do hop behind the counter and start reaccommodating your customers on the computer? You are one talented pilot. You definitely don't want to be wearing those Bose headphones.

You do realize that many passengers ask pilots questions about anything related to air travel. They trust us, and want to hear what we have to say. It's tough to listen when you cant hear. Change out of uniform if listening to your tunes is something that important to you.

BeechedJet
06-18-2018, 10:54 AM
In the cockpit wear your sunglasses. On a commute or sitting at the gate waiting feel free to use headphones. Not moving about in the public eye. Backpack? Really? Honestly, even strapped to your roller is semi-toolish imo. Get a big boy bag. We arenít on a camping trip or going to high school.

Look like a pro.

Holy hot take, I'm still scratching my head on this one. I'll be sure to cancel going to the beach or hiking on my overnights because having a black backpack on my rollaboard looks unprofessional. I'm going to sit in my room and study the FOM from now on and nothing else. That's what the passengers need from me.

biigD
06-18-2018, 11:05 AM

You got hired at your current gig with less than a thousand hours just a few months ago. But instead of taking the advice of folks that have been around the industry for awhile, you decide to go the opposite direction and double down on your attitude.

And WE are the arrogant ones? Okay.

Javichu
06-18-2018, 11:08 AM
You got hired at your current gig with less than a thousand hours just a few months ago. But instead of taking the advice of folks that have been around the industry for awhile, you decide to go the opposite direction and double down on your attitude.

Advice being I look like an idiot and that I'm pathetic?. How can you think that you know a person from a couple of posts on this forum. I always pay attention to the people that has been around for a long time and that are experienced. On a daily basis. My captains, chief pilot, check airman and company are more than happy with my no arrogant attitude. Thanks

say again
06-18-2018, 11:20 AM
Advice being I look like an idiot and that I'm pathetic?. How can you think that you know a person from a couple of posts on this forum. I always pay attention to the people that has been around for a long time and that are experienced. On a daily basis. My captains, chief pilot, check airman and company are more than happy with my no arrogant attitude. Thanks

You really don't get it. Glad you co-workers love your stellar attitude...:rolleyes:

say again
06-18-2018, 11:21 AM

He thinks he knows it all, so why listen?

Javichu
06-18-2018, 11:22 AM
You really don't get it. Glad you co-workers love your stellar attitude...:rolleyes:

Yes yes I really don't get it, you're way too smart, professional and superior compared to me.
My bad for even trying to communicate with you all.
Done with this for good. See ya

say again
06-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Yes yes I really don't get it, you're way too smart, professional and superior compared to me.

And this right here is exactly what we're talking about! idiot. See ya, jr.

badflaps
06-18-2018, 11:30 AM
Did you ever take the Hogan? If you did, how did it work out?:D

biigD
06-18-2018, 11:31 AM
Advice being I look like an idiot and that I'm pathetic?. How can you think that you know a person from a couple of posts on this forum.

I never said you were pathetic, but I think a pilot in uniform walking through a terminal with a big set of headphones on looks like an idiot. I don't need to know the guy personally to feel that way. You're absolutely right that I don't know you and you could be an awesome dude.

All I'm doing is telling you what my perception is, and based on my experience I'm not in the minority in feeling this way.

jcountry
06-18-2018, 11:42 AM
Read you again, who's pathetic clown.

Anger much, this one.

So much angry, start typing like Yoda, he has.

Broken English more humorous, anger makes laughter much.

saxman66
06-18-2018, 11:48 AM
When I was a newbie 10 years ago, I probably walked through the terminal with earbuds in. Then I saw how douchy it looked on someone else and quickly stopped. Iíve seen two huge headsets worn by pilots in full uniform recently. Another asked me for a jumpseat ride in full uniform along a baseball hat on, in front of pax and everything. It looks bad. Trust us. Customers are judging you all the time. Itís also a great interview question. WWYD if you saw your coworker in public not wearing proper uniform? Are you going to talk to him/her about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomgoodman
06-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Thatís all it takes.

Pierre the bridge builder would agree. :D

SUX4U
06-18-2018, 01:42 PM

Ease off guys, heís fragile, very fragile!

Qotsaautopilot
06-18-2018, 03:04 PM

You’re not an idiot or pathetic.

You just look the part with big over ear headphones on walking around the terminal in your uniform. It’s simple, just wait to don them when you are settled in at the gate or on the plane.

When we are all standing at a picketing event demanding more money and telling the public that a bunch of six figure pilots are under paid and our bosses are unreasonable how do we want our public image to be perceived? Do we want to look like a group of professionals with immense responsibility that should be compensated highly for it, or do we want to look like a bunch of hacks with beats headphones hiding in our safe space?

The country as a whole has grown to hate unions in recent decades due to corporate propaganda. That’s strike one. A portion of the traveling public thinks a computer can do our job. That’s strike two. Displaying an image other than a professional, strong, assertive, person that takes his career extremely seriously could be strike three. You very well can be those things, but the second you put those big headphones on and hang sunglasses off the back of your head it’s not the image they see.

When we go looking for more money whose side do you want the hearts and minds on? We are starting with two strikes.

Qotsaautopilot
06-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Holy hot take, I'm still scratching my head on this one. I'll be sure to cancel going to the beach or hiking on my overnights because having a black backpack on my rollaboard looks unprofessional. I'm going to sit in my room and study the FOM from now on and nothing else. That's what the passengers need from me.

Hey it’s not the worst thing in the world but do you strap your flip flops or hiking boots to your bag too? An empty jansport or similar day pack can be easily balled up inside the roller bag.

I get it. Some guys are very attached to their Oakley/military grade backpack as their iPad/catchall bag. I just think there are more appropriate options. I don’t see many business people in first class with those strapped to their luggage.

I’m not going to lose sleep over it and it’s hardly in the realm of over ear headphones, head sunglasses, or black sneakers.

Full disclosure I wear my glasses on my head in my leisure clothes when I enter a building. Never in back though, that’s just stupid.

BeechedJet
06-18-2018, 03:32 PM
The sandy and muddy stuff go inside the backpack, not inside the big bag with the rest of my clean clothes.

Qotsaautopilot
06-18-2018, 03:40 PM
The sandy and muddy stuff go inside the backpack, not inside the big bag with the rest of my clean clothes.

Hey go for it. We all have our isms to make ourselves comfortable for life on the road. For me if I have soiled clothes I put them in a trash bag or the laundry bag from the hotel closet and then in my suitcase. You do you though. No big deal

CAirBear
06-18-2018, 04:23 PM
Why in the love of god why is this thread still open? Seriously.

Han Solo
06-19-2018, 05:25 AM
We need to get some more Delta guys on this thread so they can tell us what's truly professional. Let them set the standard we can all look up to.

Those Beats headphones look awesome over the top of our hats, I don't see why we're not required to wear them.

I have the male equivalent of a condition known as resting b$tch face; works wonders for keeping passengers from asking questions they could answer themselves if they looked at the sign directly above my head. Also keeps all those pesky women away when out at the bar.

I don't know any of the people posting here but my thought is you'd better be perfect if you're going to criticize somebody else's appearance. Unless you're fit'n'trim, have a high gloss on your shoes, a bright white starched and pressed shirt, and a big smile on your face when walking through the terminal it'd probably be better to have a nice warm cup of you-know-what than pass judgement on what others are doing.

rickair7777
06-19-2018, 05:30 AM
I don't know any of the people posting here but my thought is you'd better be perfect if you're going to criticize somebody else's appearance. Unless you're fit'n'trim, have a high gloss on your shoes, a bright white starched and pressed shirt, and a big smile on your face when walking through the terminal it'd probably be better to have a nice warm cup of you-know-what than pass judgement on what others are doing.

All of the above!

But seriously, you don't have to be USMC dress inspection ready, just avoid glaringly incongruous uniform wear, grooming, and accessories. Or if you want to do that, put on a different shirt, it's that easy.

What do my non-pilot friends ask me about?

1. Do I ever see UFO's? (these are people with advanced professional degrees...)
2. What airlines/flights have the least turbulence?
3. What was up with the fat pilot in the terminal?

WHACKMASTER
06-19-2018, 08:02 AM

There your go....ĒIíll show them!Ē Congrats on being an utter embarrassment to our profession. I think you need to travel abroad a little bit and see how much professional pilots are respected. Youíll also notice that theyíre dressed and act in a manner that earns them that respect.

Grow up........

Keizer Soze
06-20-2018, 05:26 AM

One does not have to be perfect. In fact, no one expects everyone to be perfect. The idea of a self-policing group is that we all recognize the standard and do our best to help uphold that standard. The tone of the OP is kind of judgmental so perhaps a change in approach is warranted. But the message is spot on.

All we proponents are saying is to have some respect for the uniform and the profession. Just because a third of passengers traveling (or a portion of our peers) are wearing beats, carrying backpacks, or dressed in cargo pants and velcro shoes, is not a valid justification for thumbing your nose at the Status Quo of our uniform and profession.

On a personal note, if someone approaches me while I am in uniform, and points out that something is amiss, I will initially likely be defensive about it. Privately, I will evaluate myself and most likely make a change. It has happened in the past and may happen again in the future. This is the exact nature of self-policing policies and procedures.

Speedbird2263
06-20-2018, 05:54 AM
One does not have to be perfect. In fact, no one expects everyone to be perfect. The idea of a self-policing group is that we all recognize the standard and do our best to help uphold that standard. The tone of the OP is kind of judgmental so perhaps a change in approach is warranted. But the message is spot on.

All we proponents are saying is to have some respect for the uniform and the profession. Just because a third of passengers traveling (or a portion of our peers) are wearing beats, carrying backpacks, or dressed in cargo pants and velcro shoes, is not a valid justification for thumbing your nose at the Status Quo of our uniform and profession.

On a personal note, if someone approaches me while I am in uniform, and points out that something is amiss, I will initially likely be defensive about it. Privately, I will evaluate myself and most likely make a change. It has happened in the past and may happen again in the future. This is the exact nature of self-policing policies and procedures.

Very well said. I concur.

Danger Close
06-20-2018, 07:48 AM
While weíre ranting. Seat cushions strapped to the back of a rollaboard....Am I right?

captjns
06-20-2018, 08:58 AM
While weíre ranting. Seat cushions strapped to the back of a rollaboard....Am I right?

What?!? For hemorrhoids?:confused:

DickBurns
06-20-2018, 09:27 AM
What?!? For hemorrhoids?:confused:

Or other anal related injuries, I suppose.

rickair7777
06-20-2018, 09:49 AM

Some older planes would make your legs and maybe back go numb or worse. Newer types seem to be much more ergonomic. When I used a seat cushion, it did fit in my flight bag though.

50SeatsofGrey
06-20-2018, 12:04 PM
In my opinion, there are way too many people walking around in old, dirty, wrinkled shirts that are either too big or too small, with their top button unbuttoned, wearing Dickies instead of proper dress pants, in cheap crappy shoes to be up in arms about this. I would rather see someone look well put together but wearing headphones than someone with a 4 day old machine washed wrinkled shirt with no headphones.

Too many people want to be treated and paid like a white collar professional but dress like a truck driver.

tomgoodman
06-20-2018, 12:17 PM
In my opinion, there are way too many people walking around in old, dirty, wrinkled shirts that are either too big or too small, with their top button unbuttoned, wearing Dickies instead of proper dress pants, in cheap crappy shoes to be up in arms about this.

Pilots have to do the walkaround, even though lav trucks are leaky. :p

foumanchu
06-20-2018, 12:21 PM
In my opinion, there are way too many people walking around in old, dirty, wrinkled shirts that are either too big or too small, with their top button unbuttoned, wearing Dickies instead of proper dress pants, in cheap crappy shoes to be up in arms about this. I would rather see someone look well put together but wearing headphones than someone with a 4 day old machine washed wrinkled shirt with no headphones.

Too many people want to be treated and paid like a white collar professional but dress like a truck driver.

Why have a "rather this than that" conversation? If they are both unprofessional, call them both out. Looking sharp doesn't mean you get an excuse to wear headphones or whatever else it is that may come off as unprofessional.

50SeatsofGrey
06-20-2018, 12:42 PM
Why have a "rather this than that" conversation? If they are both unprofessional, call them both out. Looking sharp doesn't mean you get an excuse to wear headphones or whatever else it is that may come off as unprofessional.

Not rather than, I'm just pointing out that this is getting a disproportionate amount of attention. Someone sees someone in the terminal with headphones on and goes out of their way to post about it (which I agree, call them out). But we all see slobs on a daily basis and say nothing. It hurts us collectively in the long run.

McNugent
06-20-2018, 04:38 PM
So we can go around in circles all day long about how pilots appear in the public eye. There isnít a person here whoís perfect, certainly myself included. Shoes, shirts, backpacks, fat guts, whatever... I donít know many flight offices who require you to report for inspection prior to taking a walk through the terminal. Perfection is not the point of why I initially posted this thread.

This is just me here, but I take a personal responsibility to professionally represent both my airline and profession when Iím in the public eye. People are watching whether you think it or not. So yes, I am judgemental when some fella wants to rock his Bose down the concourse. It looks like you donít give a 💩.

Danger Close
06-20-2018, 05:13 PM
Some older planes would make your legs and maybe back go numb or worse. Newer types seem to be much more ergonomic. When I used a seat cushion, it did fit in my flight bag though.

Older pilots that flew those older planes didnít need them. It was a world without super convient wire free technology

captjns
06-20-2018, 05:13 PM
I don’t know many flight offices who require you to report for inspection prior to taking a walk through the terminal.

I’ve been an expat for the better part of 25 years with the exception of a brief stint back in the U.S., the Fashion Police were abundant with every overseas carrier I’ve flow with. Even before moving overseas, and returning after my overseas stints... I’ve always taken pride in my appearance I/A/W the airlines’ uniform standards. Pressed shirts and uniforms, shined shoes too. As much as I hated the helmet, I wore it just the same.... uniform standards.

tlove482
06-21-2018, 08:50 AM
We wear headphones to fly the plane yet it's unprofessional????

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

ORDinary
06-21-2018, 09:25 AM

You said you would obviously never wear then on duty. I'll ask again: why not?

deadseal
06-21-2018, 10:12 AM
I wear a blue gaming headset when I deadhead cause it has the best sound. Is that ok?

Keizer Soze
06-21-2018, 10:33 AM
We wear headphones to fly the plane yet it's unprofessional????

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

Yes.......

rickair7777
06-21-2018, 10:36 AM
I wear a blue gaming headset when I deadhead cause it has the best sound. Is that ok?

That's OK when you're in your seat. Same with sunglasses or even a pillow if it helps you rest. But don't walk through the terminal wearing any of that.

filejw
06-21-2018, 02:23 PM
You canít walk from one gate to another without wearing noise canceling headsets?

I could but I would rather listen to an audio book than all the babble going on around me.

CLRtoPush
06-21-2018, 02:28 PM
Is it ok to sleep in the terminal? Floor or no floor.

T28driver
06-21-2018, 02:43 PM
I get it. Some guys are very attached to their Oakley/military grade backpack as their iPad/catchall bag. I just think there are more appropriate options. I donít see many business people in first class with those strapped to their luggage...

Youíre right. In my life before the airlines when I was flying back and forth between BWI and DFW on a weekly basis in first class my 5.11 rush backpack was coyote, not black. Best briefcase I ever owned. My FOM says black luggage, so I have a new one in that color.

But I should probably get rid of my black backpack that matches my luggage works and replace it with a leather jepps case that I can cover every inch of with witty stickers.

deadseal
06-21-2018, 06:25 PM
That's OK when you're in your seat. Same with sunglasses or even a pillow if it helps you rest. But don't walk through the terminal wearing any of that.

lol, thanks dad

fishin is too easy these days

ill gladly walk through the terminal with an earbud in, talking to my wife and kids as i get exercise walking from one end of A to the other. i think some folks are missing out on the "generation shift" that is occuring

sflpilot
06-21-2018, 08:52 PM
lol, thanks dad

fishin is too easy these days

ill gladly walk through the terminal with an earbud in, talking to my wife and kids as i get exercise walking from one end of A to the other. i think some folks are missing out on the "generation shift" that is occuring

There is no doubt a generational shift in standards and practices. I personally have never felt I had much time to take interest in what others are doing in the terminal. The job does keep you quite busy.

zondaracer
06-21-2018, 09:35 PM
Is it ok to sleep in the terminal? Floor or no floor.

If not wearing your uniform then no problem. In uniform, I wouldnít even slouch in a chair in public view. I go to the crew lounge if I need to close my eyes.

WyoMech
06-22-2018, 02:57 AM
Bukkake ruined my carpet, will Plane Coffee take the stains out?

Luggage shouldnít have wheels! Carry it like a real man while in uniform.

Milk Man
06-22-2018, 04:10 AM
So what about Alma mater or ex-military lanyards?

ThePenguin328
06-22-2018, 05:23 AM
So what about Alma mater or ex-military lanyards?

I used to wear sports team lanyards. MLB in the spring and summer, NCAA in early fall, and NFL late fall into winter. I grew the F up and now only wear my ALPA PAC lanyard. Eventually everyone on this thread will grow the F up and then retire. In between those two events there will be another generational shift or two along the way, which will include a downturn and furlough, if not two furloughs. After you've been furloughed twice you don't really give a flying crap what kind of headphones the FNG in the terminal is wearing.

galleycafe
06-22-2018, 06:37 AM
Bukkake ruined my carpet, will Plane Coffee take the stains out?

Luggage shouldnít have wheels! Carry it like a real man while in uniform.

Uh yes, it will (said in a deep George Takei voice).

Another vote for coffee!

Plane Coffee

AC560
06-22-2018, 12:40 PM
I get it. Some guys are very attached to their Oakley/military grade backpack as their iPad/catchall bag. I just think there are more appropriate options. I donít see many business people in first class with those strapped to their luggage.

I donít know what airline you fly on. The Tumi backpack is the gear of choice for me and just about everyone I know. You see a few old school lawyer types with a briefcase here and there. You will notice they walk with a tilt from years of having a 30lb weight on one side and not the other.

For the rest of us it is almost all back packs. Better utility, lighter, and much easier on your back. You can also get a change of clothes into one which is useful on an overnight or if you want to dump the suit for the flight home.

Pilots are generally self absorbed ass holes in my experience. Trust me nobody on the airplane thinks that much about you unless you are morbidly obese, stink, have some sort of rash. You know the things people would be concerned about with anyone else they see on the street. Lol how you wear your sunglasses, you really think that somebody cares about that?

You arenít that important, get over yourself and bring me another drink in 3A.

Moosefire
06-22-2018, 03:02 PM
ďProfessionalĒ is subjective. So long as anyone isnít violating their FOM I say let it be.

Their have also been large shifts of the last few decades of what is considered normal, polite, behavior... one of which includes wearing headphones.

Backpacks? How are people still complaining about this? Maybe we should just use oversized flight cases to carry our iPads around. I would say roughly 80% of FedEx pilots carry a backpack.

Last point. These days suit and tie doesnít equal professionalism, look at the tech sector (some of our highest paying jobs) and casual is the norm, look at your own companies nonrev dress codes which reflect these shifts. Iím young 30s living in Manhattan and my friends at big finance seldom wear suits.

sflpilot
06-23-2018, 12:24 AM
“Professional” is subjective. So long as anyone isn’t violating their FOM I say let it be.

Their have also been large shifts of the last few decades of what is considered normal, polite, behavior... one of which includes wearing headphones.

Backpacks? How are people still complaining about this? Maybe we should just use oversized flight cases to carry our iPads around. I would say roughly 80% of FedEx pilots carry a backpack.

Last point. These days suit and tie doesn’t equal professionalism, look at the tech sector (some of our highest paying jobs) and casual is the norm, look at your own companies nonrev dress codes which reflect these shifts. I’m young 30s living in Manhattan and my friends at big finance seldom wear suits.

So true. You just don't see it that much anymore. I had former UA CEO Tilton on board years ago and even he showed up in business casual just like all the others at corporate.

badflaps
06-23-2018, 03:24 AM
Class never goes out of style.

Blue Dude
06-23-2018, 05:11 AM
Class never goes out of style.

I look forward to seeing you at work in your powdered wig and waistcoat.

deadseal
06-23-2018, 08:21 AM

Lol......nice one.

NYC Pilot
06-23-2018, 11:20 AM
Its hilarious how pilots think. In this day n age, no one gives a *NYC* what you wear or carry as long as you are clean and dont smell like a horses ass. People are busy in their own lives. This is not the 1950s America. Get over the BS nonsense about judging other pilots as if your *NYC* doesn't stink. Just be professional and dont look or act like a bum.

tomgoodman
06-23-2018, 01:59 PM

Good way to lose a wig and get flogged by your own coattails.

Slipstream, you know. :p

Liquidsky
06-24-2018, 03:28 PM
You mean I cant show up in my fur coat with purple aviators on my Bugatti golf cart fanning myself with hundred dollar bills while my favorite FA feeds me grapes???

I quit ;)

gsphuntr
06-24-2018, 06:40 PM
80 percent or more of UPS pilots carry a company issued ďbackpackĒ...

I guess weíre unprofessional in the eyes of our ďlegacyĒ overloards...

Over the ear headphones though!? Come on man!

Hetman
06-25-2018, 02:30 AM
Upon further reflection (and still not losing sleep), anyone and everyone, pilots and passengers alike, just look goofy walking around the terminal wearing those earmuffs.

ebl14
06-26-2018, 10:51 AM

Look man, nobody is calling you an idiot. Itís clear you are new to the industry because you donít understand the culture of policing our own and mentoring. These guys may sound a little harsh but thatís how pilots talk. Would you rather have another pilot help you correct your deficiencies or have your Chief Pilot address this during a carpet dance and add a letter to your file? Donít be short sighted, play the long game. These guys are trying to help you.

zippinbye
06-26-2018, 11:30 AM

Probably one of these dudes we have to ď thankĒ for the safety vests. Talk about raising the hazard level! At least it will just be instant lights-out when the sound if the approaching fast moving baggage tractor fails to warn of impending doom; no time for fear to set in.

Barley
06-27-2018, 06:45 AM
You ainít a pro until youíve got a clip-on tie, pleated pants, and a belt holster for your phone.

Varsity
06-27-2018, 11:22 AM
I wear ear buds while walking around, my sunglasses on backwards when indoors and carry a backpack.

I smile at all the old dudes that looks like 'professional' trash too.

filejw
06-28-2018, 06:14 AM
Look man, nobody is calling you an idiot. Itís clear you are new to the industry because you donít understand the culture of policing our own and mentoring. These guys may sound a little harsh but thatís how pilots talk. Would you rather have another pilot help you correct your deficiencies or have your Chief Pilot address this during a carpet dance and add a letter to your file? Donít be short sighted, play the long game. These guys are trying to help you.

Mentoring in the cockpit yes but outside thats bit of a stretch . Unless someone is harassing a fellow employee or passenger or outrageously in conflict of a company rule or policy. Think drinking in uniform or groping somebody in the gate area. Earbuds, headphones or a backpack mind your own business.

atpcliff
06-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Most of us are Christians. (Not me, by the way).

What would Jesus say to someone who looked/dressed differently than he did?
Was he welcoming to all peoples?
Did he treat everyone with respect?

Of course, we cannot be Jesus, but we CAN TRY to act and think and say like he did.

God's love to you...Namaste...

AC560
06-28-2018, 02:14 PM
Did he treat everyone with respect?..

And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen.

badflaps
06-28-2018, 10:06 PM
And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen.

Is that on YouTube somewhere?

Hetman
06-29-2018, 08:37 AM

Sheep and oxen? You mean he drove the passengers out, too?

ebl14
06-29-2018, 11:10 AM
Mentoring in the cockpit yes but outside thats bit of a stretch . Unless someone is harassing a fellow employee or passenger or outrageously in conflict of a company rule or policy. Think drinking in uniform or groping somebody in the gate area. Earbuds, headphones or a backpack mind your own business.

All three airlines I have worked for prohibited earbuds or headphones in the terminal, maybe you should check your FOM. I was just trying to save the dude a carpet dance, whatís your excuse?

av8or
06-29-2018, 01:34 PM
Why in the love of god why is this thread still open? Seriously.
Umm, because as professional pilots we usually are so incredibly brilliant that we only use half our brain to do our job perfectly, comply with all regulations and our own companyís FOM that it frees up the other half to also define whatís acceptable and professional for everybody else.

Just one of the many reasons divorce is so low in our profession. Weíre amazing. At all times. Just ask us.

Varsity
06-29-2018, 01:41 PM
https://weekwoman.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/white-men-in-wigs.jpg

ORD crew lounge 2005

"jet is ready kind sirs"

Pgus
06-29-2018, 01:52 PM
All three airlines I have worked for prohibited earbuds or headphones in the terminal, maybe you should check your FOM. I was just trying to save the dude a carpet dance, whatís your excuse?
Sooo if youíre NOT on duty.. The mighty FOM still applies?

m3113n1a1
06-29-2018, 02:05 PM
Mentor me daddy.

Truthanator
06-29-2018, 02:13 PM
Omg! Please wear your giant Bose in uniform in the terminal! Don't stop!
What else am I going to laugh at on my walk through the terminal? The Express Jet guy in black crocs? The 324lb UAL guy running to make a commute with his shirt un-tucked AND hauling a backpack, face tomato red with sweat pouring down face? (pretty sure he was 10 gates from a heart attack)
What about the Mesa kid with a cut bicycle tire AS A BELT. His belt was a bicycle tire. A rubber tire. For a belt. In his uniform. You can't possible make that up.

Don't take this away from me! :D

filejw
06-29-2018, 04:25 PM

Well when I left my legecy last year after 38 years all that BS had been removed .

captjns
06-30-2018, 04:53 AM
Sooo if youíre NOT on duty.. The mighty FOM still applies?

Refer to your FOM when Jumpseating whilst off duty, or traveling to/from base in uniform.

Pgus
06-30-2018, 05:35 AM
Refer to your FOM when Jumpseating whilst off duty, or traveling to/from base in uniform.

I donít remember mentioning jumpseating, but thanks for playing.;)

av8or
06-30-2018, 12:57 PM
When you see a pilot is wearing a backpack, wearing earbuds AND drinking a cup of coffee in the terminal... https://youtu.be/s3jIn8lbFZE

galleycafe
06-30-2018, 03:19 PM
But.....if that happens, he'll spill his coffee!

Plane Coffee

MidnightHauler
07-04-2018, 10:50 PM
Omg! Please wear your giant Bose in uniform in the terminal! Don't stop!
What else am I going to laugh at on my walk through the terminal? The Express Jet guy in black crocs? The 324lb UAL guy running to make a commute with his shirt un-tucked AND hauling a backpack, face tomato red with sweat pouring down face? (pretty sure he was 10 gates from a heart attack)
What about the Mesa kid with a cut bicycle tire AS A BELT. His belt was a bicycle tire. A rubber tire. For a belt. In his uniform. You can't possible make that up.

Don't take this away from me! :D
Just when I thought I've heard it all!