Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : My future at SWA

larryfxlast
06-21-2018, 07:57 AM
I mentioned this in the career building page, however I thought I would take a chance and converse with some of my cohearts :P.

I'm a 27 year old, 28 next Friday! DAL based employee. I work in the hangar etc. Etc.

I have an eviscerating desire to fly our 737s.

I'm working towards my license and ratings; going to build time, but I can't help but to fear one major empass. The regional time....

No doubt this experience is necessary for me to be competitive, and acquiring the coveted 1500 TPIC looks daunting, when doing research on junior FO regional bids and maintaining SWA employment if I desire anythig resembling a life (but it can be done). Or I could look for cargo or a small 135 pax carrier flying turbo prop.

That being said. Will there come a time where I just have to bid SWA farewell and a "hope to see you later"? We've had had 4 hangar employees go internally to FOs in the past and naturally they aren't around for me to ask how they did it!

Smooth at FL450
06-21-2018, 08:05 AM
I mentioned this in the career building page, however I thought I would take a chance and converse with some of my cohearts :P.

I'm a 27 year old, 28 next Friday! DAL based employee. I work in the hangar etc. Etc.

I'm working towards my license and ratings; going to build time, but I can't help but to fear one major empass. The regional time....

No doubt this experience is necessary for me to be competitive, and acquiring the coveted 1500 TPIC looks daunting, when doing research on junior FO regional bids and maintaining SWA employment if I desire anythig resembling a life (but it can be done). Or I could look for cargo or a small 135 pax carrier flying turbo prop.

That being said. Will there come a time where I just have to bid SWA farewell and a "hope to see you later"? We've had had 4 hangar employees go internally to FOs in the past and naturally they aren't around for me to ask how they did it!

The faster you get your time and meet the qualifications, the better. If flying a SWA 737 is your ultimate goal, then do what you need to expedite that. You'll be able to keep your employee number, and I'm willing to bet that if your resignation given for the reasons above, that will look favorably on you when you apply for the pilot position. Who knows, maybe they'll be able to work with you to keep you on some kind of reduced schedule while flying.

Good luck!

RJSAviator76
06-21-2018, 08:20 AM

First and foremost... do you have a 4-year degree? If not, you'll need it.

Secondly, plenty of folks come back, but they are usually competitive in every other aspect. I know a few pilots who started off as CSA's and FA's. For example, there's a captain in MDW who started here as a FA. She had a degree, went to a regional full time, and applied back once she met the minimum requirements. She was hired back and kept her employee number. Conversely, I know a former ramper who was arguably the biggest SWA cheerleader I ever knew. Her looks and personality would probably make her the poster girl for Southwest Airlines. She has several thousand hours TPIC, 737 type, great community service... no call. She's at AA now due to flowthrough. Reason? No degree.

larryfxlast
06-21-2018, 08:31 AM

Secondly, plenty of folks come back, but they are usually competitive in every other aspect. I know a few pilots who started off as CSA's and FA's. For example, there's a captain in MDW who started here as a FA. She had a degree, went to a regional full time, and applied back once she met the minimum requirements. She was hired back and kept her employee number. Conversely, I know a former ramper who was arguably the biggest SWA cheerleader I ever knew. Her looks and personality would probably make her the poster girl for Southwest Airlines. She has several thousand hours TPIC, 737 type, great community service... no call. She's at AA now due to flowthrough. Reason? No degree.

I do have the degree part out of the way! I was probably just gonna give away almost all of my shifts at the hangar while flying!

fixemflyem
06-21-2018, 10:53 AM
Not sure how it works at SWA, but I attempted the same sort of thing while at another carrier. In my case, there were conflict of interests issues with working for 2 ďcompetitorsĒ at the same time. If you arenít forth coming with that piece of information, it could cost you one or both jobs.

Feel free to PM me and we can discuss further if you wish. Best of luck.

e6bpilot
06-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Every internal hire I know quit to build time and then came back. You will have a huge leg up as a prior SWA employee and your employee number will be waiting on you when you return.
Best of luck.

larryfxlast
06-21-2018, 04:26 PM
Thank you everyone who took the time to reply!

4thLevel
06-22-2018, 12:15 AM

Bull****.

We have plenty of people hired without a degree.

Ask me how I know.

larryfxlast
06-22-2018, 03:02 AM
Bull****.

Ask me how I know.

How do you know :P

RJSAviator76
06-22-2018, 05:19 AM
Bull****.

Ask me how I know.

Rocky, that you?

full of luv
06-23-2018, 05:20 AM

Eviscerating huh.... don't be bringing that hangar talk into the cockpit!

tomgoodman
06-23-2018, 06:58 AM
Nobody has an eviscerating desire to fly a MadDog. It takes guts. :p

ZapBrannigan
06-23-2018, 08:12 AM
Nobody has an eviscerating desire to fly a MadDog. It takes guts. :p

When I was a kid I wanted nothing more than to fly a DC9. I would skip school to go out to the end of the runway and watch them takeoff and land. 15 years later I was flying those same airplanes. Iíd say it was as close to an eviscerating desire as you could get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PowerShift
06-23-2018, 10:33 AM
I donít see a path unless you resign your current job, and persue flying full time. And have a plan so if SWA never calls, you are happy with what you are doing.

StayFrosty
06-23-2018, 10:33 AM
Iím a boomerang so I guess I speak from experience. Get your time as quick as possible. Turbine PIC and if you can become a Check Airman...it wonít hurt.

While still here, network with as many people as you can within the hiring group and set yourself up for success. Everyone here will want to help you achieve your dream.

You will most likely need to leave and return later but as mentioned before, you will keep your employee number. Mine was waiting for me...16 years later.

Iím a PM away should you need some advice.

larryfxlast
06-24-2018, 08:44 AM
Eviscerating huh.... don't be bringing that hangar talk into the cockpit!

But wait! There's more!

Thanks everyone for all of the insight; looks like when the time comes I'll leave SWA to pursue a bigger dream. To the skies!

larryfxlast
06-24-2018, 08:45 AM
Iím a boomerang so I guess I speak from experience. Get your time as quick as possible. Turbine PIC and if you can become a Check Airman...it wonít hurt.

While still here, network with as many people as you can within the hiring group and set yourself up for success. Everyone here will want to help you achieve your dream.

You will most likely need to leave and return later but as mentioned before, you will keep your employee number. Mine was waiting for me...16 years later.

Iím a PM away should you need some advice.

I'll be in touch!

MidnightHauler
06-30-2018, 10:22 PM

My dad was a SWA captain for 10 years. Retired years ago because of the age limit. He doesn't have a degree, but military background instead. I also know several other pilots there with no degree and a few who got hired with no TPIC time. Stop discouraging others with the degree BS. This isn't Delta.

RJSAviator76
07-01-2018, 03:15 AM
My dad was a SWA captain for 10 years. Retired years ago because of the age limit. He doesn't have a degree, but military background instead. I also know several other pilots there with no degree and a few who got hired with no TPIC time. Stop discouraging others with the degree BS. This isn't Delta.

OK, so you know better about TODAYíS hiring than my base chief pilot who sits on DBís and guys whoíve been on the interview team for years....

Shucks, it seems I wasted my time talking to them about two of my friends with 737 time, plenty of PIC experience but no degree...

Thanks man!

Smooth at FL450
07-01-2018, 03:59 AM

A few months ago I got an email with YTD 2018 hiring statistics. Out of the roughly 290 guys we'd hired to date, 11 were hired without degrees. that's less than 4%. So yes, it can happen. But do you want to sit around hoping to be in that extreme minority, while watching class after class get hired ahead of you? You don't want to be hired on the backside of a hiring wave...

This isn't Delta, you're right. A Master's degree is overkill...

MidnightHauler
07-01-2018, 04:37 PM
OK, so you know better about TODAYíS hiring than my base chief pilot who sits on DBís and guys whoíve been on the interview team for years....

Shucks, it seems I wasted my time talking to them about two of my friends with 737 time, plenty of PIC experience but no degree...

Thanks man!
I'm not denying having a degree helps, but it's still not required. Look at all the other things that have changed from required to preferred. SWA did that to encourage pilots with different experience and background to apply. I personally know someone just hired with 0 turbine PIC. All I've heard from everyone is "You have to have turbine PIC". No, you don't. Does it help? Yes, it does, but it's no longer required.
Again, telling someone they NEED a four year agree at SWA is not true. I know many people personally who work there and some have been hired from experience in other places.
Instead of telling someone they NEED a degree, just suggest it helps to have one. It's not a requirement.

TransWorld
07-01-2018, 07:18 PM
I'm not denying having a degree helps, but it's still not required. Look at all the other things that have changed from required to preferred. SWA did that to encourage pilots with different experience and background to apply. I personally know someone just hired with 0 turbine PIC. All I've heard from everyone is "You have to have turbine PIC". No, you don't. Does it help? Yes, it does, but it's no longer required.
Again, telling someone they NEED a four year agree at SWA is not true. I know many people personally who work there and some have been hired from experience in other places.
Instead of telling someone they NEED a degree, just suggest it helps to have one. It's not a requirement.

11/290 = <4% hired without a degree. So you want to try entering the tiny side door guarded by an angry pit bull instead of the big open front door.

As they say, ďSo you still say there is a chance, however slim.Ē

galaxy flyer
07-01-2018, 07:27 PM
Any desire to fly Boeing’s antique is a sign of questionable mental fitness.

GF

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1