Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : To finish CFI before or after

Jump pilot 17
06-24-2018, 12:49 AM
Hello all, looking for some advice here. I just started my CFI training but I leave in sept for basic. Iíll be in training till March. My question is should I wait to finish for when I come back? Or should I try to finish before I leave. I asked my current instructor and he said to finish before I leave but heís on the border of RATP mins so Iím not sure if heís just saying that to get hours or not. Thanks!

propilot
06-24-2018, 06:52 AM
If youíve got the money, get it done. Then go out and find an instructing job so youíll be set for when you get back in March.

155mm
06-24-2018, 07:54 AM
Hello all, looking for some advice here. I just started my CFI training but I leave in sept for basic. Iíll be in training till March. My question is should I wait to finish for when I come back? Or should I try to finish before I leave. I asked my current instructor and he said to finish before I leave but heís on the border of RATP mins so Iím not sure if heís just saying that to get hours or not. Thanks!

You should finish the CFI while your head is currently in the game. What branch of service did you join and what career track? I don't know if you already have a college degree but you should be able to get college credits for your pilot ratings as well. Speak with your nearest military education officer. College credits/degrees equals more stripes as well as warrant officer or commissioned officer opportunities.

Jump pilot 17
06-24-2018, 08:09 PM
You should finish the CFI while your head is currently in the game. What branch of service did you join and what career track? I don't know if you already have a college degree but you should be able to get college credits for your pilot ratings as well. Speak with your nearest military education officer. College credits/degrees equals more stripes as well as warrant officer or commissioned officer opportunities.

Iím going Army Guard, trying to get a pilot slot later on. I had difficulties initially for a clearance with my dual citizenship which I have to renounce but takes a few years so I did a 3/6 year contract. I have a degree, which is why I want to go the officer route down the road.

Delta Echo
06-25-2018, 12:55 AM
Do you have time to finish it till September like not in a hurry / on a relaxed way? I mean all the new knowledge / skills need to "sink in" or how to say...
What if you just continue, on a normal way and see how it is... but makes no sense to finish something in a hurry, and anyway you will need some refreshing flight in March :)
Good luck!

di1630
06-25-2018, 04:13 AM
Iím going Army Guard, trying to get a pilot slot later on. I had difficulties initially for a clearance with my dual citizenship which I have to renounce but takes a few years so I did a 3/6 year contract. I have a degree, which is why I want to go the officer route down the road.

Do you have to renounce dual citizenship to serve in the US armed forces? I know you gotta be a citizen to be an officer but I hadn't heard of needing to renounce. I have some friends interested.

AFSOCFlyr
06-25-2018, 05:55 AM

Did you apply for OTS? I guess I'm confused as to why you are enlisting if you have a 4-year degree and a desire to be a career aviator..

But to answer your question, yes, finish the CFI if you can.

Good luck

Jump pilot 17
06-26-2018, 07:55 PM
Do you have to renounce dual citizenship to serve in the US armed forces? I know you gotta be a citizen to be an officer but I hadn't heard of needing to renounce. I have some friends interested.

Depends on the job, if it requires a clearance then yes you will need to renounce the non US citizenship.

Jump pilot 17
06-26-2018, 07:57 PM
Do you have time to finish it till September like not in a hurry / on a relaxed way? I mean all the new knowledge / skills need to "sink in" or how to say...
What if you just continue, on a normal way and see how it is... but makes no sense to finish something in a hurry, and anyway you will need some refreshing flight in March :)
Good luck!

I think I will have enough time. Little worried that I wonít and donít want to rush it. I fly sky divers too on the weekends so Iím still getting hours.