Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Emirates borrows Etihad pilots

Han Solo
06-24-2018, 10:01 AM
Hopefully it's the beginning of the end. My favorite quotes from the article:

In a statement, Emirates described the move as "a common practice in our industry which gives airlines more flexibility in managing their pilot resources."
LOLWUT?

and

"Emirates CEO Tim Clark acknowledged in April that the airline was "a tad short in pilots" and that could affect routes."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/etihad-loan-pilots-competing-uae-airline-emirates-124342726--finance.html

toolowterrain
06-24-2018, 07:55 PM
Reminds me of a post I made a few years ago citing an article where one of Qatar’s 777’s had a tail strike on takeoff, and the CEO described it as: “Such kind of incidents happen quite often, either it is a tail strike on the runway or it is contact with the landing lights,” says Al Baker. “It is nothing out of context.”

Lol.

badflaps
06-25-2018, 04:27 AM
The camel repair shop is always busy.

m3113n1a1
06-25-2018, 08:03 AM
The camel repair shop is always busy.

What? What do camels have to do with anything?

captjns
06-25-2018, 11:21 AM
What? What do camels have to do with anything?

Figured he’d add his 1/2 cents worth to the mix:rolleyes:

Airhoss
06-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Having spoken to one of the Al Maktum’s recently it is very apparent why EK is having a hard time attracting and retaining pilots.

His take on the pilot situation at EK.

They do not offer commuting contracts and never will. “Because other airlines don’t either.” No joke he actually said that.

Pilots should be worked to the absolute limits legally allowed. “An airline can not be profitable if they don’t work their pilots to the legal limits”.

Pay at EK is very good period! This is not open for discussion. There is no reason to compare it to other airlines.

Safety is excellent at EK. Fatigue is not a factor because they “only” work their pilots to the legal limit. No comment on the recent accident where two of their pilots were unable to perform a go around in VMC conditions.

Good luck EK guys........

NYC Pilot
06-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Emirates is a terrible place to work. Dont know how they are still in business.. Poor management who think they know it all. Major accident waiting to happen. Also a very racist airline. Have 2 black pilot friends who fly for Delta and United now who were turned down by Emirates for no apparent reason. One was flying 747-400s for an ACMI and the other was an ex-Air Force heavy pilot, graduate of the US Air Force Academy. At one point, I was convinced that EK was decent but thats far from the truth.

Al Czervik
06-25-2018, 12:34 PM
Reminds me of a post I made a few years ago citing an article where one of Qatar’s 777’s had a tail strike on takeoff, and the CEO described it as: “Such kind of incidents happen quite often, either it is a tail strike on the runway or it is contact with the landing lights,” says Al Baker. “It is nothing out of context.”

Lol.

Classic. Can you find that? I’d love to see it.

LeeFXDWG
06-25-2018, 12:57 PM
Having spoken to one of the Al Maktum’s recently it is very apparent why EK is having a hard time attracting and retaining pilots.

His take on the pilot situation at EK.

They do not offer commuting contracts and never will. “Because other airlines don’t either.” No joke he actually said that.

Pilots should be worked to the absolute limits legally allowed. “An airline can not be profitable if they don’t work their pilots to the legal limits”.

Pay at EK is very good period! This is not open for discussion. There is no reason to compare it to other airlines.

Safety is excellent at EK. Fatigue is not a factor because they “only” work their pilots to the legal limit. No comment on the recent accident where two of their pilots were unable to perform a go around in VMC conditions.

Good luck EK guys........

Hoss

It’s the TCN mentality in that part of the world. Although paid much better, your no different than the workers they import to work at the fast food chains.

Lee

Twin Wasp
06-25-2018, 03:08 PM
Classic. Can you find that? I’d love to see it.

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/03/04/qatar-airways-fires-pilots/

jcountry
06-25-2018, 04:38 PM
Emirates can borrow my balls.

ThePenguin328
06-25-2018, 10:26 PM
Reply in the thread
Emirates is a terrible place to work. Dont know how they are still in business..

Easy, lots pilots work at worse places. I flew at FZ across the street. Same concept as EK wrt FAR limits. The FAR limits aren't limits, they are the goals. Any pilot that works one minute less than the goal is a waste. Also passengers love EKs cabin service.

Poor management who think they know it all.

That's typical for most airlines, especially so in Middle East and Far East.

Major accident waiting to happen.

Already had two public incidents (DXB gear up and MLB tailstrike)

Also a very racist airline. Have 2 black pilot friends who fly for Delta and United now who were turned down by Emirates for no apparent reason.

Believe it or not, lots of drivers from several African, Euro, and NA airlines for at EK, EY, FZ. Lots of good pilots are turned down for jobs all over the work regardless of race or sex. EK employees many femail pilots too. FZ had over a dozen female Captains before I left. But yes, in general, the Middle East is a racist place for non-muslims.

At one point, I was convinced that EK was decent but thats far from the truth.

Until you actually pack YOUR bags, move there, collect a paycheck, I have to tell you.....you don't know anything, sorry.

NYC Pilot
06-25-2018, 10:30 PM
Reply in the thread

Im a former Qatar Airways Captain so I think I have an idea about EK.

ThePenguin328
06-26-2018, 07:52 AM
Im a former Qatar Airways Captain so I think I have an idea about EK.

How was working for Al Baker? I saw him once at the DXB Airshow. He was touring a EK A380 and acting like a small child trying to break everything.

NYC Pilot
06-26-2018, 08:21 AM
How was working for Al Baker? I saw him once at the DXB Airshow. He was touring a EK A380 and acting like a small child trying to break everything.

Lol, I see what you are saying. Fortunately, my experience with Akbar Al Baker was a positive one but yeah he's a little crazy.

Baradium
06-26-2018, 06:18 PM
Reply in the thread

Please try to bold or separate the quotes out when you do that, it can be confusing to keep track with who is saying what.