Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : What to do until retirement?

Subie
06-27-2018, 09:22 PM
Active Duty Rotor guy with 7 years left to retirement, and a whopping 55 SEL fixed wing time. As I drudge along until retirement, what is the best thing to do for fixed wing time while still active duty? Of course, I'm going to fly here and there to get more ratings, but any specific route to take to be more marketable to the Airlines when the time comes?

Gundriver64
06-28-2018, 02:38 AM
Easy, get fixed-wing assigned. Do you have the scarlet letter A sewn to your nomex??

Good Luck!
G

BeatNavy
06-28-2018, 03:18 AM
Active Duty Rotor guy with 7 years left to retirement, and a whopping 55 SEL fixed wing time. As I drudge along until retirement, what is the best thing to do for fixed wing time while still active duty? Of course, I'm going to fly here and there to get more ratings, but any specific route to take to be more marketable to the Airlines when the time comes?

Get out now, go guard or reserve (preferably fixed wing), do an RTP and start at a regional. On your current path you will be at a major in 10-15 years and will have missed this hiring wave and will lose probably millions over the career compared to bailing and going to a regional then major in 4-5 years from now during peak retirements. You’ll more than make up for an active duty retirement in pay, certainly in QOL.

rickair7777
06-28-2018, 04:23 AM
I have always been a proponent of the military retirement, but in this case, at this moment in time I would agree, time to punch.

Caveat: there is risk in airlines, some of it unpredictable. But barring health issues, airlines is almost certain to pay far better than mil + AD retirement.

TankerDriver
06-28-2018, 07:39 AM
Are you USAF? If not, just be aware you most likely will need to go to AF UPT with only rotor time to get fixed-wing qualified for an ANG/AFRC unit.Get out now, go guard or reserve (preferably fixed wing), do an RTP and start at a regional. On your current path you will be at a major in 10-15 years and will have missed this hiring wave and will lose probably millions over the career compared to bailing and going to a regional then major in 4-5 years from now during peak retirements. You’ll more than make up for an active duty retirement in pay, certainly in QOL.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Subie
06-28-2018, 12:21 PM
I forgot to mention the holding factor in bailing from active duty, I have a service obligation that takes me to 15.5 years of active service (2022). Because of that, I assumed it would be best to try and get ratings and fixed wing time on my own while I’m still in. Additionally, I fly for the Army where they decided that applying for a fixed wing transition is no longer allowed since they are only selecting candidates straight out of flight school. They started that about 6 months after my class...awesome. I’ve also considered jumping ship once that service obligation is up, but it’s so close to retirement, would it be worth leaving active duty at that point? Thanks for the replies.

Subie
06-28-2018, 12:25 PM
Easy, get fixed-wing assigned. Do you have the scarlet letter A sewn to your nomex??

Good Luck!
G

Can’t get a fixed wing transition anymore now that the Army started the “fixed wing for life” crap.

BeatNavy
06-28-2018, 12:26 PM
Are you USAF? If not, just be aware you most likely will need to go to AF UPT with only rotor time to get fixed-wing qualified for an ANG/AFRC unit.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Pretty sure he’s an army guy since he has 55 airplane hours. I don’t think anyone is advocating for him to go to any Air Force component. There are plenty of army guard and reserve units, including ones that have airplanes, which is what I was suggesting, in addition to going to a regional asap.

BeatNavy
06-28-2018, 12:27 PM
Can’t get a fixed wing transition anymore now that the Army started the “fixed wing for life” crap.

Don’t think FW for life applies in the guard and reserve world.

BeatNavy
06-28-2018, 12:29 PM
I forgot to mention the holding factor in bailing from active duty, I have a service obligation that takes me to 15.5 years of active service (2022). Because of that, I assumed it would be best to try and get ratings and fixed wing time on my own while I’m still in. Additionally, I fly for the Army where they decided that applying for a fixed wing transition is no longer allowed since they are only selecting candidates straight out of flight school. They started that about 6 months after my class...awesome. I’ve also considered jumping ship once that service obligation is up, but it’s so close to retirement, would it be worth leaving active duty at that point? Thanks for the replies.

HRC may waive your adso if you get hired by a guard/reserve unit, but not likely in this environment with this shortage, depending on your airframe and manning. But I’d try anyway.

Subie
06-28-2018, 12:46 PM
HRC may waive your adso if you get hired by a guard/reserve unit, but not likely in this environment with this shortage, depending on your airframe and manning. But I’d try anyway.

I’ve essentially exhausted that avenue as well, talked to several states with fixed wing units, but they wouldn’t touch me until I had less than a year left on my ADSO. Virginia sent me the proper paperwork to get started on applying with them, but it’s been a slow process. You’re correct though, fixed wing for life does not apply to Reseve/Guard. As an Apache guy, my chances for UQR approval are essentially zero due to manning issues. It’s not that I’ve given up on trying to get out, I just realized that being stuck until retirement is probably the most likely outcome when talking with others that have had UQR and even retirement denied.

rickair7777
06-28-2018, 01:22 PM

That's a little tougher to call, but if you're hell-bent on airlines (this is a good time to be), here's what I would do...

Get FAA ratings up to CPL, and probably CFI as well. Fly your arse off for five years to ensure your FW time can qualify for most regionals. CFI on nights/weekends, maybe get a flexible/part-time 91/135 gig, or even just buy a cessna.

When you get to the end of ADSC, re-evaluate the industry. If it's going gang-busters, you could then punch, get on with a regional, and join the guard/reserve in some capacity to earn the retirement. I would *estimate* that about three years at a regional would get you a call from a major, but that's a very rough estimate and dependent on industry demographics as we know them today. A regional with flow would be an option (that may very well be more available in five years than it is today).

I find it distasteful to even say this, but you *might* at least run some numbers on opting into BRS... but that's a decision you have to make THIS year, based on what you know TODAY, and is of course irrevocable. I would hate to have to make that call personally :eek: But the money at the bigs is going to beat a mil retirement by about one order of magnitude.

Gundriver64
06-28-2018, 01:40 PM

I understand. The Army just sucks at managing people. They ran off all the experienced guys the last three years of BHO's regime and now you are seeing this starched-wing for life thing as a reaction.

I guess you have to decide future airline career or military retirement. The aformentioned isn't assured, the latter reasonably assured. If you aren't financially strapped you could exit active duty and finish your 20 in the Reserves or Guard and pick-up a 20 year Reserve retirement. But then you can't cash a check from that until age 60 (possibly less).

Sliceback
06-29-2018, 06:37 AM
Like rickair suggested - get your civilian ratings and CFI on the side. Along with any other flying gig you can do. Get your FW resume as strong as possible to give you more options, and perhaps an immediate regional job, when you reach the 15.5/20 yr mark.

OneCircle
06-29-2018, 08:35 PM
That's a little tougher to call, but if you're hell-bent on airlines (this is a good time to be), here's what I would do...

Get FAA ratings up to CPL, and probably CFI as well. Fly your arse off for five years to ensure your FW time can qualify for most regionals. CFI on nights/weekends, maybe get a flexible/part-time 91/135 gig, or even just buy a cessna.

When you get to the end of ADSC, re-evaluate the industry. If it's going gang-busters, you could then punch, get on with a regional, and join the guard/reserve in some capacity to earn the retirement. I would *estimate* that about three years at a regional would get you a call from a major, but that's a very rough estimate and dependent on industry demographics as we know them today. A regional with flow would be an option (that may very well be more available in five years than it is today).

I find it distasteful to even say this, but you *might* at least run some numbers on opting into BRS... but that's a decision you have to make THIS year, based on what you know TODAY, and is of course irrevocable. I would hate to have to make that call personally :eek: But the money at the bigs is going to beat a mil retirement by about one order of magnitude.

I believe with his time in service he is not eligible to opt into BRS.

tomgoodman
06-30-2018, 05:45 AM
From the Book of Wisdom:
“Short-timers must beware of going FIGMO too early.” :p

Grumble
06-30-2018, 05:51 AM
Find a Navy VR unit, start rushing and apply. Plenty of rotor only types in those squadrons now flying C-40/130’s.

Between now and then, get your commercial helo license from the FAA using your mil equivalency, and get a single and multi engine add on rating.

rickair7777
06-30-2018, 07:19 AM
I believe with his time in service he is not eligible to opt into BRS.

You may be right, I misread his timeline. But the cutoff is 12 years service as of 31 Dec 2017, not 12 years as of today (or next month, or later this year).

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1