Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Sitting is the Devil

Gundriver64
06-28-2018, 03:09 AM
Hello Fellow Pilotos,

Sitting all day long is the devil. Your hip flexors & psoas tighten and shorten over a lifetime of excessive sitting. This pulls you hips out of whack and anterior pelvic tilt means a lower back that is chronically out of alignment. I am about to re-enter commercial flying after retiring from the military which means excessive sitting (I currently have a standup desk at my work place and it's gold).

Anybody have any good recommendations for an easy to carry-easy to pack lumbar support device for augmenting the cockpit seat?

Thanks in Advance!
G

WhiskeyDelta
06-28-2018, 03:28 AM
I used a self-inflating lower back support pillow from Relax the Back for years flying the RJ. It rolls up into a relatively small footprint for storage in most flight deck bags.

rickair7777
06-28-2018, 02:18 PM
I pretty much cured the back issues by resuming my old mil ab routine (modified for back-safety, which the original regime was definitely not). That and trying not to slouch in the seat has worked miracles.

I also stretch comprehensively on most layovers, breaks the muscle-tension cycle.

badflaps
06-28-2018, 04:31 PM
Anybody have any luck with those inversion jobbies?

rickair7777
06-28-2018, 06:13 PM
Anybody have any luck with those inversion jobbies?

Good for stretching, but there are simpler ways to do that.

The key is to build and maintain the various core muscles. Stretching alone won't do that, although it should be part of maintenance if you sit for hours on end. I prefer dynamic exercises, but you can do it with static exercise like planks.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1