Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Have you flowed to American?

GodSpeed813
06-30-2018, 05:01 PM
Hey pilots, I'm wondering how many of you have actually flowed into american airlines. If so, how long did it take and where did you come from. Should pilots at holy owned airlines still count on a flow?

06-30-2018, 05:46 PM
The flow is holier than holy can be

ORDinary
06-30-2018, 06:23 PM
Hey pilots, I'm wondering how many of you have actually flowed into american airlines. If so, how long did it take and where did you come from. Should pilots at holy owned airlines still count on a flow?

The stories from those who have already flowed have no bearing on the future. I flowed after 12 years but that just means 12 years ago the flow was at 12 years. It has nothing to do with the flow today. Also, there is nothing "holy" about the owning.

TransWorld
06-30-2018, 06:38 PM
Just a few years ago, the pilots that flowed from the wholly owned Envoy were 25+ years. For better than a decade no major was hiring. Furloughs after 9/11 and retirement age moving from 60 to 65 were the main causes. Regional pilots grew old, grey, and balding waiting for the call that did not come. In the last few years hiring has resumed.

Currently I understand 2007 pilots are flowing. That is 11 years from DOH with Envoy.

In a few years the flow will be 7 years +/-, assuming no attrition. With attrition it could be a bit shorter.

As hiring ramps up further, in a few years, the forecast will be about 1 in 5 regional pilots each year will be hired by the majors. (4,000 a year of the 20,000 pilots currently flying regionals.).

If you are just now looking to get on with a regional, one thing is certain, things will change from where they are today. The good news is the majors have a huge amount of retirements coming. No one is going to stop that train.

nimslow
06-30-2018, 07:00 PM
Just like what was stated above, what happened in the past isn't a good indication of what will happen in the future, or even today.

As one of the "numbered flow throughs" from legacy Eagle , I flowed 10 years after we were all told, "you'll all be at AA in 2 years"

But yes, many of us here have flowed, and more than a few of us are even group 2 captains now at AA.

If it works out for the wholly owned pilots, great. But I wouldn't bank on anything they tell you today.

Battlinbear21
07-01-2018, 12:27 AM
Go read the regional threads to see what life is and was like before we got our draft date. Most of us lived in purgatory for more than a decade waiting on the holy flow from our wholly owned. Flow is mint for Pdt pilots hired in 2011. They are really the big winners for my former shop. Canít speak for the others.

E175 Driver
07-01-2018, 05:45 AM
The best thing about flowing? NO interview required!!!

airlinegypsy
07-01-2018, 08:09 AM

Hardly an interview at the regionals too. I think some are hired with an ATP and a heartbeat these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PRS Guitars
07-01-2018, 08:12 AM

And thatís the worst thing about the Flow.

Aviatrx
07-01-2018, 08:46 AM
And thatís the worst thing about the Flow.

Because 11+ years of flying your equipment isnít enough of an interview

nAAtive
07-01-2018, 09:40 AM

Not at all. Not even close. Not a knock on eagle guys but every regional. Thereís guys at regionals and legacies that shouldnít be there. Every company has them.

Paperboi
07-01-2018, 10:04 AM
So you're insinuating that the interview process has no cracks in it that people slip through?

PRS Guitars
07-01-2018, 10:25 AM
So you're insinuating that the interview process has no cracks in it that people slip through?

Not at all, of course it happens, I know of cases of it. But on balance, an interview is a good filter. Go on the career section of this forum, anytime someone asks a question about a potential weakness to getting hired at a major, people recomend they apply to an AA wholly owned.

PRS Guitars
07-01-2018, 10:28 AM

No itís not. Look, on balance Iím sure the majority of flows are great people and would have been hired if interviewed. But an interview helps filter out some of the bad apples, thatís all. Itís not personal, and doesnít matter, because the flow is here to stay.

biigD
07-01-2018, 10:31 AM

It tells me absolutely nothing about what youíre like to fly with. Only that as a baseline you did just enough to not get yourself fired.

Like others have said, Iím sure most of the flows are great, and the flow isnít going anywhere anyway. So itís really a moot point.

Battlinbear21
07-01-2018, 10:45 AM
No itís not. Look, on balance Iím sure the majority of flows are great people and would have been hired if interviewed. But an interview helps filter out some of the bad apples, thatís all. Itís not personal, and doesnít matter, because the flow is here to stay.

Honestly in my mind the flow cost me 3 years of seniority. We had the perf interview after a 1000 hours in left seat. My timing was awful. Got that when we signed the LOA for flow. I know the job wasnít guaranteed, but I had every box checked I could. (Besides the one the other thread got locked for) I would have made sure I did all I could and hope for the best. But, I shouldnít complain, and Iím greatful to be here. Just wanted to be at a major before age 33. If I get furloughed from AA Iíll be really cursing the flow! Wish we kept interview instead of the flow and gave up less for it. Oh well. Pilots love lazy.

Regionalsuck
07-01-2018, 07:17 PM
Not at all, of course it happens, I know of cases of it. But on balance, an interview is a good filter. Go on the career section of this forum, anytime someone asks a question about a potential weakness to getting hired at a major, people recomend they apply to an AA wholly owned.

It goes both ways. Of course some of the flows with a history suck, and shouldn't get through, let alone even keep their job at all seeing the history. That number is a very small slice of the pie.

On the other side you also have a small number of people getting hired through interview that deifinitely aren't top tier qualified either. Everyone that has been in this industry for any length of time has seen the multiple failed check ride types get hired with virtually no experience, certainly no 121 PIC, or even a degree because HR needs to check those diversity boxes. As a former check-airman I saw ultra junior bad apple's getiting hired at AA/DAL/UAL that would make you shake your head and wonder wtf were those interviewers thinking???

So small numbers that shouldn't, get through either way.....

NYC Pilot
07-01-2018, 07:56 PM
In my opinion, they should do away with flows and bring back a complete interview process including a sim evaluation. Aviation is a serious business and only the best should be hired. There is no room for error. I flew with many people throughout my career that dont belong anywhere near a cockpit. Unfortunately, supply and demand was on their side. Not to say that majority of the flows are not great pilots. Just cant let anyone slip through the cracks, thats all. Its not only AA, its a problem at all the airlines. Some people get in due to who they know, some due to filling quotas. Whatever the reason, minimally, one should atleast be fully qualified and competent. Im not saying a person needs to have X number of hours or a degree. The applicant should shine in the evaluation process and know how to handle an aircraft safely. Attitude and performance equals safe operations. Remember, people depend on you to safely arrive at their destination. This is not a game.

Regionalsuck
07-01-2018, 08:41 PM
Really, the flow agreement should just say anyone with more than one failed 121 check ride should "at least" have to interview and not just get a guaranteed flow. As a way to weed out some people who only keep their jobs due to union protections and regional staffing levels keeping people around for tons of additional training that they wouldn't have kept previously. That wouldn't matter to the majority, but it would catch some questionable outliers and at the very least, it would make them explain the history and let AA take a deeper look into it. And 1 fail is being generous with AQP training. You really shouldn't have ANY going through AQP. Failures with additional training and 2 "do-overs", no oral, plus a crew working together as a team on just a line flight with a minor event as the type ride? Unacceptable to fail these IMO. These aren't the old 121 type rides anymore like we use to have. The new generation has no idea how much more strict things were under the old 121 type rides. FAR easier to slip through the cracks with very weak systems knowledge/competence these days with AQP.

One change coming for the future flows after the protected pilot group at Envoy, they can't have any letters in their file and flow IIRC. Which is a double edged sword, knowing the way Envoy operates and staffing levels, I could definitely see them using that punatively forcing people to fly sick and accept illegal assignments out of fear of a step letter jeapordizing flow. It can also catch some bad apple's as well though.

Just glad to be done with all that mess. Around 12 yrs for me to get out. When I was hired there was NO flow through for new hires that weren't a part of the prior generations deals. So counting that time it took "us" isn't really beneficial to any future or current pilot. The flow for everyone happened many years later after we started there. Yes the flow took forever but flow naysayers are counting years where there wasn't even a flow through for us anyway. Let alone any hiring at Majors for anyone.

Personally, I think many of us were slowed down more by the flow than with it. Plus less incentive to leave elsewhere sooner. 100x more difficult to get hired off the street at AA after flow was implemented.

at6d
07-01-2018, 11:00 PM
In 1999 Eagle had a sim ride in the KC-135 at the AA school house, ridiculously long interview and then an astronaut medical evaluation.

NYC Pilot
07-01-2018, 11:12 PM
In 1999 Eagle had a sim ride in the KC-135 at the AA school house, ridiculously long interview and then an astronaut medical evaluation.

Yes, you are right. Thats the year I interviewed, got hired and started at Eagle shortly after. They should bring back those standards. As far as I understand, Eagle and AA had a very similar hiring process back then.

TransWorld
07-02-2018, 05:06 AM
Regionalsuck got me wondering.

What percentage of the WOs have more than one check ride failure? 1%, 5%, 20%?

Anyone have a ballpark idea?

Hotel Pen
07-02-2018, 07:06 AM
1) Not all flows are bad pilots (the vast majority are competent, some more so that off the street hires), but all the horrible pilots I've flown with in the last 3 years have been flows.

2) Its also not fair to the majority of flows who are good pilots who then get grouped in with the few bad ones that then give all the flows a negative stigma.

Hotel Pen
07-02-2018, 07:08 AM
Why not just have a preferential interview instead of a flow. Is it that hard to do your logbook, and put on a suit for 1 day? Just to prove that you want the job (which not all flows even do).

Otterbox
07-02-2018, 07:15 AM
Regionalsuck got me wondering.

What percentage of the WOs have more than one check ride failure? 1%, 5%, 20%?

Anyone have a ballpark idea?

Depends on when they were hired... AA doesnít let its WO pay top tier wages to fill classes so they tighten and loosen hiring criteria based on how many folks they can get to fill classes.

A couple years ago when they were having problems filling classes of 2-4 because they lagged so far in pay the AA WO drooled over anyone who had ATP minimums, once they got the pay/bonus bump their policy became 3 failures or more require a CP waiver or review board, with one of the WO dropping to 2 failures max after a spike in AQP training failures were attributed to folks having 3+ failures before getting hired.

ORDinary
07-02-2018, 07:22 AM
Why not just have a preferential interview instead of a flow.

Simple answer: because like it or not it's already in the contract.

Moose432
07-02-2018, 07:36 AM
On one hand I think itís great to have all the experience the flows bring with them... a decade of flying brings some serious value that shouldnít be discounted.

That being said, Iím confident that a good chunk of the flows would not have been hired had they interviewed with the off the street hires. My observations from indoc of the difference in in dress/appearance, questions asked and the general way some of them carried themselves was in stark contrast to the off the street folks. I know itís not all but the bad apples tend to give the majority a negative stereotype...

Hotel Pen
07-02-2018, 07:41 AM
On one hand I think itís great to have all the experience the flows bring with them... a decade of flying brings some serious value that shouldnít be discounted.

That being said, Iím confident that a good chunk of the flows would not have been hired had they interviewed with the off the street hires. My observations from indoc of the difference in in dress/appearance, questions asked and the general way some of them carried themselves was in stark contrast to the off the street folks. I know itís not all but the bad apples tend to give the majority a negative stereotype...

Moose,

You hit the nail on the proverbial head.

Andrew_VT
07-02-2018, 09:41 AM
How about a compromise, and allow the company to reject the flow of around 2-4% of the total? Just the "cream of the crop" in other words.

Also, lots of mention on here of training failures, but what about personality failures? Guys with well documented anger issues, more than one DUI, multiple restraining orders ect.

airlinegypsy
07-02-2018, 10:15 AM

I hope you really didnít expect pilots who have lived under virtually the same Part 1 and used all of the same computer systems for over a decade would ask the same kind of questions as those whose experience is completely different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moose432
07-02-2018, 10:24 AM
I hope you really didnít expect pilots who have lived under virtually the same Part 1 and used all of the same computer systems for over a decade would ask the same kind of questions as those with zero airline experience.

Actually I assumed theyíd be more informed and have less questions after spending 10 years in the same system... it was more like trouble with what I thought was basic comprehension. Again, probably just some bad apples that make the whole look bad

Klsytakesit
07-02-2018, 10:58 AM
Fact is...Most pf you commenting on the quality of pilots coming through the ďflowĒ system would not be hired either...

Klsytakesit
07-02-2018, 11:01 AM
time i this business alters everyone....The ď new hiresĒ are just putting on a show that pilots that flow are spared.

Klsytakesit
07-02-2018, 11:12 AM
100% sure that I would not be hired today.....19 years of $h1tty management, schedules, hotels etc virtually guarantees it...

Aviatrx
07-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Actually I assumed theyíd be more informed and have less questions after spending 10 years in the same system... it was more like trouble with what I thought was basic comprehension. Again, probably just some bad apples that make the whole look bad

Is this your personal class experience, or do you have the chance to sit in on all the Basic Indoc classes? Also, remember that many flows in BI are simply struggling to stay awake or thinking about the next trip to the bathroom

PRS Guitars
07-02-2018, 11:39 AM
time i this business alters everyone....The ď new hiresĒ are just putting on a show that pilots that flow are spared.

What show? And arenít new flows ďnew hiresĒ as well, or let me guess youíre the guy that uses his AMR date as his hire date.

tm602
07-02-2018, 01:54 PM
In my opinion, they should do away with flows and bring back a complete interview process including a sim evaluation. Aviation is a serious business and only the best should be hired. There is no room for error. I flew with many people throughout my career that dont belong anywhere near a cockpit. Unfortunately, supply and demand was on their side. Not to say that majority of the flows are not great pilots. Just cant let anyone slip through the cracks, thats all. Its not only AA, its a problem at all the airlines. Some people get in due to who they know, some due to filling quotas. Whatever the reason, minimally, one should atleast be fully qualified and competent. Im not saying a person needs to have X number of hours or a degree. The applicant should shine in the evaluation process and know how to handle an aircraft safely. Attitude and performance equals safe operations. Remember, people depend on you to safely arrive at their destination. This is not a game.

Brother am I with you. Written test on basic ATP and IFR stuff, Captain's board, sim eval. Get rid of the video game crap, the touchy-feely-lovey HR personality garbage and other nonpilot stuff. Get pilots hiring the pilots again for Pete's sake. Not often I agree with a Yankee but you hit it good here.

m78fl370
07-02-2018, 02:23 PM
What show? And arenít new flows ďnew hiresĒ as well, or let me guess youíre the guy that uses his AMR date as his hire date.

Yeah, they are ďnew hiresĒ. But sometimes itís probably easy to not feel that way when youíre sitting in a classroom that youíve had recurrent in multiple times over the years, in a building where youíve had checkrides for years, and down the hall from the same room you attended your Eagle Indoc in what seems like not that long ago. Also having to go through Sabre and CCI discussions and all that stuff that youíve already had on your phone for years.

Not saying there are not some slobs that flowed over, I have seen some. But to expect the Eagle flows to have the same mentality and put on the same show as the new guys off the street who many have not even worked for an airline before is not realistic.

Al Czervik
07-02-2018, 04:46 PM
Brother am I with you. Written test on basic ATP and IFR stuff, Captain's board, sim eval. Get rid of the video game crap, the touchy-feely-lovey HR personality garbage and other nonpilot stuff. Get pilots hiring the pilots again for Pete's sake. Not often I agree with a Yankee but you hit it good here.

Not too long ago I would have agreed with you. Unfortunately, Iím now flying with the guys that went through the process youíre speaking of and Iím not sure thatís the way to go either.

Quarryman
07-02-2018, 07:10 PM

I'd expect that in a 76 pax aircraft as much as a 176 pax rig.

Moose432
07-02-2018, 09:29 PM
Is this your personal class experience, or do you have the chance to sit in on all the Basic Indoc classes? Also, remember that many flows in BI are simply struggling to stay awake or thinking about the next trip to the bathroom

Just my personal experience so Iím assuming the other classes were similar to mine... True, many probably were struggling to stay awake but that doesnít explain the lack of professionalism I saw. Knowing firsthand how competitive the interview process is at other major airlines I feel confident saying there were a large group that would have likely struggled to be hired elsewhere. Just an observation based on what I saw elsewhere throughout my own hiring/interview process.

at6d
07-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Anyone want to start a thread about experiences with flowback pilots? 😬

jhondoe
07-03-2018, 12:25 AM
Anyone want to start a thread about experiences with flowback pilots? 😬

Sure, I'll jump in. All the TWA folks I flew with, to a man, were incredibly classy folks. I learned a lot from them, and that includes their FAs who showed up at my airline.

Frip
07-03-2018, 05:18 AM
Flows are fine, mostly well beyond fine, and there are plenty of idiots that got hired the old-fashioned way running around loose doing stupid sloppy caca stuff.

Regionalsuck
07-03-2018, 05:29 AM
Just my personal experience so I’m assuming the other classes were similar to mine... True, many probably were struggling to stay awake but that doesn’t explain the lack of professionalism I saw. Knowing firsthand how competitive the interview process is at other major airlines I feel confident saying there were a large group that would have likely struggled to be hired elsewhere. Just an observation based on what I saw elsewhere throughout my own hiring/interview process.

My class of around 40 people was absolutely nothing like that. Have a hard time believing it either working in the training department for years and seeing what these people do in the schoolhouse every time they are there. You pretty much always get your 95% that play the game and take things seriously, probably 60% of those are your typical cruisers who just show up and keep quiet, 3% who ask weird oddball questions constantly that make everyone else shake their head, 1% overachiever who raises his hand to answer every question, and 1% jokesters. Same in College, same in the Airlines, Same in just about any business.

My class you couldn't tell the difference, certainly not by looking at them. Everyone had the same slacks and polo shirts look all the way through. For the first few days in the Flight Attendant building everyone wore suits or dress clothes like the instructions said. Everyone dressed up and wore suits to the dinner. The Envoy/PDT people grouped together for the whole time, the PSA people had a separate group and didn't really say much of anything the whole time, and the military had their group the whole time.

You are going to see random outliers from all groups, like in anything else. The most unprofessional person in my class was by far a MILITARY guy who thought he was the guy off police academy making annoying noises and game show sounds constantly throughout the class. :rolleyes: The dumbest questions came from someone who was just a dingbat which every group of 40 probably has at least one. Any questions the flows had where just about "differences". Yes they were a lot more bold about speaking up in class or explaining things in class because certain things they have a lot of experience with. Some things instructors weren't even sure of like travel/Jetnet/jumpseating stuff etc.

Like someone else said, there is going to be a difference when half of the class has been in the same classrooms, buildings, cafeterias, and knows lots of the same people there already because they have done training there for a long time. They have already jumped in the same pool, and sprayed the same water hose fire extinguishers at the flames in those same ratty old PBE's. Some of the prior Envoy guys in the training dept worked right down the hall 200yds from indoc class. The information for flows is basically all the same with minor differences here and there and makes for really long boring days when you already know 90% of the information being presented every day. Yet all of the flows in our group still played the game, showed up on time, dressed nice, listened and acted like any adult professional should. I didn't see anything different and we had a very large class.

Probably the same way you'd feel if you used Jetnet/sabre for over a decade every day then had to listen about how to log in and list for flights for hours for example. Flows probably are more concerned with the next coffee break then hours and hours of information they have already known for quite some time in those segments of indoc. Not that they didn't sit there and listen like everyone else anyway. The military people in my class were not special and joked around on occasion and acted the same way as everyone else after a few days in. Just more "deer in headlights" lost looking during actual presentations. Neither group acted unprofessional at all for the entire time except for that one military guy.

There was 4 people in my class that I personally don't think should have been hired after spending 2 weeks with them. 1 Envoy, 1 PSA, 1 street hire woman, and 1 Military. Works out pretty even. The 1 each from Envoy/Street for lack of knowledge and dumb questions they should know after this many years 121. 1 from PSA for acting like a douche, 1 from the military for his constant comedy attempts all day that were just annoying and not funny.

Aviatrx
07-03-2018, 07:47 AM
This is more or less how my class was. Maybe more cooperative attitudes though. Mostly great people and great experience. We were successful in getting PSA, Envoy, and Mil hires to all come together. The truth is, we are all very qualified and happy to be here. If one does not have the right stuff, they will weed themselves out

RhinoBallAuto
07-03-2018, 09:33 AM
My class of around 40 people was absolutely nothing like that......

There was 4 people in my class that I personally don't think should have been hired after spending 2 weeks with them. 1 Envoy, 1 PSA, 1 street hire woman, and 1 Military. Works out pretty even. The 1 each from Envoy/Street for lack of knowledge and dumb questions they should know after this many years 121. 1 from PSA for acting like a douche, 1 from the military for his constant comedy attempts all day that were just annoying and not funny.

I'd be willing to wager that there are a few hundred recent new hires that are 100% certain you are describing their class...

Saabs
07-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Whatís up with all these suit and tie stories?? In 2012 we wore shorts and flip flops and had USAPA bring us beers to the hotel. One guys dad was a Westie and he had some interesting words for the USAPA reps (who I assume were westies themselves). Was fun to watch as I drank the beer :D

jcountry
07-03-2018, 11:38 AM
Flows are fine, mostly well beyond fine, and there are plenty of idiots that got hired the old-fashioned way running around loose doing stupid sloppy caca stuff.

Very true!

Most everyone from all sides is great, but there are always a few who make you say ďWTF?Ē

Name User
07-03-2018, 12:10 PM
Whatís up with all these suit and tie stories?? In 2012 we wore shorts and flip flops and had USAPA bring us beers to the hotel. One guys dad was a Westie and he had some interesting words for the USAPA reps (who I assume were westies themselves). Was fun to watch as I drank the beer :D

Yeah but we had to buy our own lunch out, now they have this whole two day black tie event with spouses, seriously what a waste of money.

mainlineAF
07-03-2018, 01:42 PM
Yeah but we had to buy our own lunch out, now they have this whole two day black tie event with spouses, seriously what a waste of money.

Agreed. Epic waste.

Regionalsuck
07-03-2018, 02:20 PM
Agreed. Epic waste.

This company wastes money on everything. How many millions did the second uniform swap just cost? Or any number of other idiotic things they do wastefully on a daily basis. At least this was a nice gesture for the new pilots before beating the hell out of them on reserve.

Or I guess you all could have gotten an extra .0002 cents on your profit sharing check next year instead.

NYC Pilot
07-04-2018, 02:44 PM

Yes, I agree. Pilots should be hiring pilots alongside HR like they did back in the days. Sim evaluation is a must in my opinion.

NYC Pilot
07-04-2018, 02:46 PM
I'd expect that in a 76 pax aircraft as much as a 176 pax rig.

The standards need to be strict regardless of aircraft size.

mainlineAF
07-05-2018, 08:31 AM
This company wastes money on everything. How many millions did the second uniform swap just cost? Or any number of other idiotic things they do wastefully on a daily basis. At least this was a nice gesture for the new pilots before beating the hell out of them on reserve.

Or I guess you all could have gotten an extra .0002 cents on your profit sharing check next year instead.

Yea you totally missed the point on that one.

dvtpilot
07-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Quick question here...

How does base and/or equipment change budding work at AA? The example Iím using is if one wanted to get to PHX, but the closest thing was LAX 737, would you choose that or would it make it easier if you chose a base farther away but on the Airbus?

NYC Pilot
07-05-2018, 06:16 PM
Quick question here...

How does base and/or equipment change budding work at AA? The example Iím using is if one wanted to get to PHX, but the closest thing was LAX 737, would you choose that or would it make it easier if you chose a base farther away but on the Airbus?

I dont work at AA but have many friends there. I believe there is a seat lock of 2 years on equipment so if PHX is an airbus base then its better to go airbus somewhere and try to bid a base transfer when your seniority can hold it. Im sure other guys here know better.

Monkey Wrench
07-09-2018, 09:03 AM
GED, criminal background, prior 121 terminations, busted checkrides, 0 PIC- none of it matters, come over to a wholly owned and youíre set.

You have to be a special kind of stupid to not be able to survive xx years at a regional ďas your interview processĒ.