Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Hotels and Food?

Jeff4912
07-01-2018, 07:09 AM
What brand of hotels does Horizon put their pilots in?

Do you Horizon pilots bring your food or eat out, and if so are there any healthy choices near your hotels?

Griever
07-01-2018, 08:51 AM

Do you Horizon pilots bring your food or eat out, and if so are there any healthy choices near your hotels?

What do you define as healthy?

Excargodog
07-01-2018, 10:02 AM

Ever been to the All Seasons Motel at Airway Heights? They have a free shuttle to Geiger.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/all-seasons-motel-airway-heights

Excargodog
07-01-2018, 12:06 PM
Ever been to the All Seasons Motel at Airway Heights? They have a free shuttle to Geiger.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/all-seasons-motel-airway-heights

That was actually a joke, but a Part 135 operator who shall remain nameless did actually try to put me there once on a maintenance problem impromptu overnight. One star would be generous, IMHO. Very generous.

Jeff4912
07-01-2018, 03:09 PM
Thanks for extensive list Griever.

Those are decent hotels it sounds like.

Griever
07-01-2018, 03:12 PM
As far as answering your question about if we take food or not: That varies.

I've seen people take Rtic bags, and I've seen people not take (or eat) anything on trips. Most of our hotels have (or should have) a fridge and microwave. Depending on your schedule your food may be in a cooler for anywhere between 3-12 hours.

Again, a definition of "healthy" food would be nice. That could mean anything depending on your background. That being said, I've rarely found a vegan restaurant near our hotels. Typically there is a pub or a diner nearby open 24 hours that can serve a salad, I guess.

Griever
07-01-2018, 03:18 PM
Thanks for extensive list Griever.

Those are decent hotels it sounds like.

That should be everywhere we fly or put up pilots during training and irregular ops. That list could change in the fall when we add more city pairs.

Most of our hotels are good. A few have....issues. We have a great hotel committee manned by the union volunteers that typically address all the major issues with these hotels.

I'll be honest: the company picks the hotels. That means their priorities are safety, cost, and providing amenities for the crews. Sometimes safety and cost switch places unti our hotel committee raises hell, then the company sees the error of their ways.

Jeff4912
07-01-2018, 03:40 PM
As far as answering your question about if we take food or not: That varies.

I've seen people take Rtic bags, and I've seen people not take (or eat) anything on trips. Most of our hotels have (or should have) a fridge and microwave. Depending on your schedule your food may be in a cooler for anywhere between 3-12 hours.

Again, a definition of "healthy" food would be nice. That could mean anything depending on your background. That being said, I've rarely found a vegan restaurant near our hotels. Typically there is a pub or a diner nearby open 24 hours that can serve a salad, I guess.

By healthy, I guess I mean like you referred to, a place where you can sit down and get a salad, steak, chicken dinner etc..vs McDonalds, Burger King etc...

Griever
07-01-2018, 07:00 PM
By healthy, I guess I mean like you referred to, a place where you can sit down and get a salad, steak, chicken dinner etc..vs McDonalds, Burger King etc...

Most of our hotels are within walking distance. There are a few outliers that require a significant walk to reach that kind of restaurant. Personally I'd recommend bringing a few meals to supplement yourself when you overnight in places like that. This phenomenon isn't unique to QX.

SIUav8er
07-06-2018, 10:26 AM
I think it is inappropriate to post crew hotels on a public forum. It is a security concern telling the world where all the flight crews are staying overnight.

If the OP was a Horizon pilot, they would have access to that information.

GUFN
07-06-2018, 11:58 AM
I think it is inappropriate to post crew hotels on a public forum. It is a security concern telling the world where all the flight crews are staying overnight.

^^^^^^^^THIS x 1000 ^^^^^^^^^

rickair7777
07-08-2018, 12:12 PM

MOD INPUT: This is correct, and will be enforced.

Feel free to post layover restaurants, local activities, etc, etc