Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : ANG Slot With Online Degree

GriffinRob
07-01-2018, 05:14 PM
I am currently a graduate of an associates degree aviation program working as a CFI. I currently have about 900 hours total time. I am looking to get on with a regional in a few months and will be finishing my degree online through Utah Valley University. My question is whether or not I would be at a disadvantage having an online degree. Also, would having so much previous flying experience actually put me at a disadvantage?

Thanks

BeatNavy
07-01-2018, 05:45 PM
I am currently a graduate of an associates degree aviation program working as a CFI. I currently have about 900 hours total time. I am looking to get on with a regional in a few months and will be finishing my degree online through Utah Valley University. My question is whether or not I would be at a disadvantage having an online degree. Also, would having so much previous flying experience actually put me at a disadvantage?

Thanks

Depends on the unit and the hiring board re your degree. Some give more credit than others to what your degree is and where it came from than others. I donít think 900 hours will put you in the disadvantaged crowd for too much flight time. Plenty of airline guys go to UPT each year. If you arenít already on there, check out baseops.net and the forum there.

rickair7777
07-01-2018, 06:54 PM
Would it hurt you, probably not in the sense that most folks would not blackball you over that (a few might, so it could come down to luck as to who's involved).

If you're competing with three guys with Stanford, Annapolis, and USAFA degrees would you be at a disadvantage? Possibly.

GriffinRob
07-01-2018, 07:31 PM
Okay great! As long as I have a chance with at least a few units that's all I need to hear. Thanks

BeatNavy
07-01-2018, 09:50 PM
Would it hurt you, probably not in the sense that most folks would not blackball you over that (a few might, so it could come down to luck as to who's involved).

If you're competing with three guys with Stanford, Annapolis, and USAFA degrees would you be at a disadvantage? Possibly.

Annapolis and usafa? Never heard of her. Are those online community colleges?

rickair7777
07-02-2018, 07:00 AM
Annapolis and usafa? Never heard of her. Are those online community colleges?

:rolleyes:

https://www.usna.edu/PAO/_files/images/faq_images/bill-logo-01.gif

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1