Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : What its like at Skywest

TCASTESTOK
07-06-2018, 04:36 PM
The pilots in this surprisingly look pretty happy even after pay disaster. They even have enough time on the turnaround to grab coffee.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afmZBSMXUxs

zondaracer
07-06-2018, 05:41 PM
Iím pretty happy and the majority of the people that I fly with are pretty happy. Thereís a couple of cranky ones out there.

mking84
07-06-2018, 06:39 PM
The pilots in this surprisingly look pretty happy even after pay disaster. They even have enough time on the turnaround to grab coffee.

Sorry but that made me throw up in my mouth.

Fixnem2Flyinem
07-06-2018, 08:12 PM
Someone spiked the Kool Aid... :D

Why didnít they show you the high quality crash pads youíll barely be able to afford or your schedule as a commuting pilot? This video may be inspiring to a few but hereís a secret, that is what itís like everywhere. The views donít change out of the window and most if not all regionals now have those super high tech iPads.

Tuffgong
07-06-2018, 08:48 PM
These forums replies crack me up. You really have some disgruntled employees who have a choice.. go work for McDonaldís.. why sit on any site and bad mouth a company sooooo bad.. makes no sense but itís comedy to hear it haha...

Why not show the small bag of peanuts we get.. or the wack tacky Inn ... or my real attitude..

Choices my friend

Excargodog
07-06-2018, 08:57 PM

If you are going to look at company produced propaganda you ought to look at the competition as well:

https://youtu.be/SOVqxI4ym1Q

https://youtu.be/b_1ZVMWp_no

https://youtu.be/XDUUsCMYJr8

Strangely enough, none of these promotional videos say that their regional management is run by cheapskates who underpay you and provide marginal guaranteed QOL.

Heck, you can even find videos promoting the virtues (?) of Mesa:

https://youtu.be/k8pzZPTOySs

Fixnem2Flyinem
07-06-2018, 09:07 PM
These forums replies crack me up. You really have some disgruntled employees who have a choice.. go work for McDonaldís.. why sit on any site and bad mouth a company sooooo bad.. makes no sense but itís comedy to hear it haha...

Why not show the small bag of peanuts we get.. or the wack tacky Inn ... or my real attitude..

Choices my friend

I worked for Red Robin once... Paid about the same as first year at SkyWest :) The benefits weíre better though, half off meals. I ate a lot of banzai burgers and garlic fries those two years!

I get what youíre saying though, all regionals have their good and bad, I donít deny that. It is all about weighing the good with the bad in your personal choice. It just kind of makes me mad when they have to glamorize this job with their cheesy videos, greeting cards and lanyards to entice you into their airline. Why not offer an actual pay raise like other regionals instead of a bunch of propaganda?

Fixnem2Flyinem
07-06-2018, 09:20 PM
If you are going to look at company produced propaganda you ought to look at the competition as well:

https://youtu.be/SOVqxI4ym1Q

https://youtu.be/b_1ZVMWp_no

https://youtu.be/XDUUsCMYJr8

Strangely enough, none of these promotional videos say that their regional management is run by cheapskates who underpay you and provide marginal guaranteed QOL.

Well said. Everyone knows the regionals will do anything to keep those big eyed dreamers coming to their airlines. Look up any regional and they have videos like this. Does Delta have a video like this? What about United??

Tuffgong
07-06-2018, 09:26 PM
Itís business my friend. I was really surprised that his TA didnít pass because of the low pay while others are paying out way more. It looks like desperation on Skywest end. The fancy video to lure you in. Their name still carries a lot of weight and respect. They are on a fragile line of losing it.

But again itís all business on their end.. for each pilot that leaves you have 100ís of CFIís hating life doing stalls that will gladly take a spot. And Skywest knows that.

Fixnem2Flyinem
07-06-2018, 09:35 PM
Itís business my friend. I was really surprised that his TA didnít pass because of the low pay while others are paying out way more. It looks like desperation on Skywest end. The fancy video to lure you in. Their name still carries a lot of weight and respect. They are on a fragile line of losing it.

But again itís all business on their end.. for each pilot that leaves you have 100ís of CFIís hating life doing stalls that will gladly take a spot. And Skywest knows that.

Maybe thatís because pilots and perspective pilots are slowly getting smarter. Think about it, for years the saying ďgo with whoever calls firstĒ was the golden nugget in this career. Now, choices exist and those that slack will have issues and have to either get with it or flounder. However, if another economic collapse happens, that will give regional management a serious hard on as they can take bonuses away and pay 20k a year to new pilots once again. I say keep riding the wave high before it crashes, but Iím no surfer. Tried it once and almost died lol

WesternSkies
07-07-2018, 01:44 AM
Pretty well done video.

CFI thinks Ďgoing out in Nashvilleí!
Airline pilot thinks Ď...min credit dayí

jpso
07-08-2018, 07:51 AM
Well said. Everyone knows the regionals will do anything to keep those big eyed dreamers coming to their airlines. Look up any regional and they have videos like this. Does Delta have a video like this? What about United??

united: https://youtu.be/YXIr9LNclPQ

CatchyUsername
07-08-2018, 05:35 PM
Any new hire CRJ FO willing to share rough take home during and after training with current pay?

hawk21
07-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Any new hire CRJ FO willing to share rough take home during and after training with current pay?

I think it's about $1200 a check after tax/ deductions after training with monthly guarantee. Maybe a tad more. I think training pay was about a grand a check.

CatchyUsername
07-08-2018, 08:13 PM
I think it's about $1200 a check after tax/ deductions after training with monthly guarantee. Maybe a tad more. I think training pay was about a grand a check.

Thanks! *heads off to Walmart to buy Ramen and hot dogs*

bradthepilot
07-08-2018, 10:09 PM

If you want a more precise amount for various scenarios (training, min guarentee, typical months breaking guarentee, etc) checkout the paycheck calculator at this link (https://www.paycheckcity.com/calculator/hourly/). It accounts for various taxes, deductions (i.e. medical insurance, 401k, etc.).

hawk21
07-09-2018, 02:27 PM
Thanks! *heads off to Walmart to buy Ramen and hot dogs*

You will make much more than monthly guarantee once you are off reserve. I average about 90 a month.

EFBprobs
07-09-2018, 09:39 PM
I made $58K before tax in the 12 mos after IOE as a CRJ FO living in base (ORD). Average credit was around 95 hrs/month with 12 days off. After tax/benefits $43K.

Year 2 i've been lazy with around 77 hrs credit per month, and making around 1250 per check after taxes/benefits. 17 days off per month

slough
07-10-2018, 01:45 AM
I made $58K before tax in the 12 mos after IOE as a CRJ FO living in base (ORD). Average credit was around 95 hrs/month with 12 days off. After tax/benefits $43K.

Year 2 i've been lazy with around 77 hrs credit per month, and making around 1250 per check after taxes/benefits. 17 days off per month

Nice job first year. But 1250 take home per check 2nd year, even at 77 hours credit 2nd year guys deserve more than that!

Excargodog
07-10-2018, 05:38 AM
Nice job first year. But 1250 take home per check 2nd year, even at 77 hours credit 2nd year guys deserve more than that!

In comparison, a second year FO at Republic would be making a guaranteed MINIMUM of 75 hours a month at $50/hr with per Diem at $2.05 per hour and be eligible for a 401k match of up to 6% with free life, vision,and dental insurance and a MINIMUM of 12 days off.

That's a minimum of about $1900 take home twice a month. More typically, you'd expect to make about $50K salary plus another $6-7K in per Diem as a second year FO, with the ability to pick up more if you elected to pick up premium pay at $75/hr if you wanted to pick up open time.

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/republic_airline

Skywest is certainly a LONG way from industry leading pay. And while I'd agree with Rick7777 that it's worth giving up some pay to be able to live out West, LaGuardia doesn't exactly strike me as out West.

tothebigblue
07-10-2018, 06:17 AM

Mesa uses so much techno music I dont know whether to pump my fist or put on a pilot uniform :eyeroll:

flydiamond
07-10-2018, 09:15 AM
In comparison, a second year FO at Republic would be making a guaranteed MINIMUM of 75 hours a month at $50/hr with per Diem at $2.05 per hour and be eligible for a 401k match of up to 6% with free life, vision,and dental insurance and a MINIMUM of 12 days off.

That's a minimum of about $1900 take home twice a month. More typically, you'd expect to make about $50K salary plus another $6-7K in per Diem as a second year FO, with the ability to pick up more if you elected to pick up premium pay at $75/hr if you wanted to pick up open time.

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/republic_airline

Skywest is certainly a LONG way from industry leading pay. And while I'd agree with Rick7777 that it's worth giving up some pay to be able to live out West, LaGuardia doesn't exactly strike me as out West.

Ditto at Endeavor. Someone who really hustles after IOE (averaging 120 credit which is not hard if you know the various tricks) can make $85k in the first 12 months including the $10k bonus, and then about $6000 more in per diem and $1000 in performance bonuses... $92k total (assumes $52 an hour, a 9 month/3 month blend between first and second year pay). Even if someone didnít hustle they could easily expect 85 credit hours Skywest pay and pay rules are *sorely* lagging behind.

amcnd
07-10-2018, 09:36 AM
Ditto at Endeavor. Someone who really hustles after IOE (averaging 120 credit which is not hard if you know the various tricks) can make $85k in the first 12 months including the $10k bonus, and then about $6000 more in per diem and $1000 in performance bonuses... $92k total (assumes $52 an hour, a 9 month/3 month blend between first and second year pay). Even if someone didnít hustle they could easily expect 85 credit hours Skywest pay and pay rules are *sorely* lagging behind.

No ones arguing about pay. But whatís the price on Family commuting from the West Coast to the East??? Whats it worth?? Everyone has a different dollar amount.... for a young 21 year old its a no brainer... for a 30+ with family and roots... may not be...

SirLurksalot
07-10-2018, 11:01 AM
No ones arguing about pay. But whatís the price on Family commuting from the West Coast to the East??? Whats it worth?? Everyone has a different dollar amount.... for a young 21 year old its a no brainer... for a 30+ with family and roots... may not be...

Good point, better avoid skw entirely, where you get the worst of both

Excargodog
07-10-2018, 03:26 PM
No ones arguing about pay. But whatís the price on Family commuting from the West Coast to the East???

What do you think sitting reserve at LaGuardia is?

FYI, LGA is eight miles from the Atlantic Ocean. If that ain't "the East" it's pretty damn close.

If you are going to end up on reserve in LGA anyway, you might as well do it with a regional that provides more money and better commuter benefits. Those regionals do exist, but Skywest isn't one of them.

rickair7777
07-10-2018, 04:04 PM
What do you think sitting reserve at LaGuardia is?

FYI, LGA is eight miles from the Atlantic Ocean. If that ain't "the East" it's pretty damn close.

If you are going to end up on reserve in LGA anyway, you might as well do it with a regional that provides more money and better commuter benefits. Those regionals do exist, but Skywest isn't one of them.

SKW is very large, with lots of movement. If you don't want to stay in the east, you'll back on the Best Coast in months (or weeks).

If you WANT to be in NY, then by all means other regionals pay more for that privilege.

LRSRanger
07-10-2018, 04:17 PM
Family meant SKW is out of the question for me. Who can support a family on that?

Fixnem2Flyinem
07-10-2018, 04:56 PM
SKW is very large, with lots of movement. If you don't want to stay in the east, you'll back on the Best Coast in months (or weeks).

If you WANT to be in NY, then by all means other regionals pay more for that privilege.

Tell that to all the FOís in PDX and SEA that have the times to upgrade but canít hold Ejet anywhere west of ORD. Theyíre even hoping to get BOI, which may happen below 4 years but PDX or SEA wonít. So yes west coast is doable pretty quick as an FO, but not as a captain.

SkyWest is no longer a smart choice if you want to live on the west coast and avoid commuting in both seats... period. Maybe it will change, maybe it wonít. But for now Compass and Horizon are way better options unless you live in a OO only base, but you will still be commuting and for way longer than a few weeks or months in total. Donít be the guy that stays an FO for 4 years in this environment because you hate the thought of commuting, that is a trap to easily fall in at SkyWest right now.

WesternSkies
07-10-2018, 05:47 PM
Alcoholics call this ďa moment of clarityĒ.

Sorry you got so far in to this career without understanding.

You should ask a few captains their stories and how they navigated.

bradthepilot
07-10-2018, 08:46 PM
The thing I find interesting about many of the arguments for other regionals is that the "Go to <brand X>!" crowd continues to naively assume that the hourly rate is the sole criteria by which SKYW pilots made their choice. It's curious that some people can't accept that other criteria may exist, and instead seem to insist that their own rubric is what everyone else should use.

Excargodog
07-10-2018, 09:21 PM
The thing I find interesting about many of the arguments for other regionals is that the "Go to <brand X>!" crowd continues to naively assume that the hourly rate is the sole criteria by which SKYW pilots made their choice. It's curious that some people can't accept that other criteria may exist, and instead seem to insist that their own rubric is what everyone else should use.

Pas de tout, mon ami. Chaque une a son gout.

But please tell us by what criteria YOU use to value Skywest above the competition?

bradthepilot
07-10-2018, 09:28 PM
Pas de tout, mon ami. Chaque une a son gout.

But please tell us by what criteria YOU use to value Skywest above the competition?

I've posted that elsewhere here - a quick search would find it. But my criteria are my own and it's not clear why anyone else would be interested in it or why anyone else would try to convince me that I should care more about hourly rates than about not commuting, or care more about bonuses than upgrade times.

JuniorFO
07-11-2018, 04:14 AM
I think there is a lot of irony in this conversation. We see what SkyWest did to XJT to grow, once the largest and most respected regionals for years. Noone stays on top forever, I think SkyWest expanded too fast for the current market, the industry is too competative right now, and SkyWest pilots are wising up. They will go the way of XJT sooner than later in my opinion. At least XJT has the CPP and future with United, what does SkyWest have?

jtsastre
07-11-2018, 04:18 AM
Family meant SKW is out of the question for me. Who can support a family on that?

Not to say regional pay doesnít need to increase, but I was married (wife didnít work) with a 1-year old in California making first-year, $22/hour, and we made it work. Definitely wasnít easy, but thereís a way.

havick206
07-11-2018, 04:46 AM

That is being diluted by east coast bases.

Excargodog
07-11-2018, 06:44 AM
Not to say regional pay doesnít need to increase, but I was married (wife didnít work) with a 1-year old in California making first-year, $22/hour, and we made it work. Definitely wasnít easy, but thereís a way.

And in 1965, the minimum wage was a buck and a quarter an hour and a gallon of gas cost 29.9 cents too, neither of which has anything to do with appropriate pay today. A municipal bus driver in California today makes more than most newbie FOs at Skywest.

SacRT Employment Opportunities (http://iportal.sacrt.com/iapps/hr/Jobsindex.asp)

amcnd
07-11-2018, 06:52 AM
One things for sure. Flying for SkyWest is nothing like whatís portrayed on this forum board...

Check Complete
07-11-2018, 07:13 AM
One things for sure. Flying for SkyWest is nothing like whatís portrayed on this forum board...

And one things for sure. Flying for SkyWest is nothing like whatís portrayed by you on this forum board.

You can't deny we are the lowest paid, worst reserve policies, and terrible schedules.

In many respects, Mesa is better.

amcnd
07-11-2018, 07:31 AM
And one things for sure. Flying for SkyWest is nothing like whatís portrayed by you on this forum board.

You can't deny we are the lowest paid, worst reserve policies, and terrible schedules.

Iíve flown for Eagle also. Eagle reserve was worse, hotel in training and paid was nice (that was even 20 years ago) trips pay more at SkyWest, but in the end. Every regional, is a REGIONAL!!! Make it fun, enjoy your time there, get to know people, travel, pay the bills, then move on.. then your airline life begins...

jtsastre
07-11-2018, 07:41 AM
And in 1965, the minimum wage was a buck and a quarter an hour and a gallon of gas cost 29.9 cents too, neither of which has anything to do with appropriate pay today. A municipal bus driver in California today makes more than most newbie FOs at Skywest.

SacRT Employment Opportunities (http://iportal.sacrt.com/iapps/hr/Jobsindex.asp)

I understand your point, but this was in 2012 for me.

rickair7777
07-11-2018, 07:50 AM

You obviously haven't tried mesa. Give that a whirl and report back to us.

WesternSkies
07-11-2018, 08:13 AM

So you wanted to prove youíve been in this industry for a minute. Plus inflation has mostly been flat is these years.
When I started not too many years ago, new hire FAs were making more than new hire FOs.
Things are and will be changing quickly.

Double haha to the guy who says ďat least Expressjet has UnitedĒ

atpcliff
07-11-2018, 11:50 AM
for each pilot that leaves you have 100ís of CFIís hating life doing stalls that will gladly take a spot. And Skywest knows that.

at some point in the past, things changed. There is a growing CFI shortage, along with the general Pilot Shortage. When your flight school is 90+% foreign students without a Green Card, none of them can work as CFIs...

WesternSkies
07-11-2018, 12:20 PM
teacher/professor/ tennis pro/ golf pro can be careers and flight instructor needs to join those ranks and it is amazingly about time.

skwcrj
07-11-2018, 12:49 PM
First of all... No, I didn't read all of the previous pages. I'm sure it was all a civilized discussion. LOL!!

Skywest has been a great place to work over the last 20+ years. As a newhire, I was just happy to be here. As a senior pilot, I'm still happy to be here. Looking back, I've had many fantastic overnights in some cool places. Most recently, 34 hr layovers in SIT. The job is as good or as bad as you make out to be....

Realize that "online reviews" (products, services,etc) are a place for people to vent. APC is mostly a forum for people to vent.

Green Needles
07-11-2018, 01:09 PM
First of all... No, I didn't read all of the previous pages. I'm sure it was all a civilized discussion. LOL!!

Skywest has been a great place to work over the last 20+ years. As a newhire, I was just happy to be here. As a senior pilot, I'm still happy to be here. Looking back, I've had many fantastic overnights in some cool places. Most recently, 34 hr layovers in SIT. The job is as good or as bad as you make out to be....

Realize that "online reviews" (products, services,etc) are a place for people to vent. APC is mostly a forum for people to vent.

Stockholm syndrome at it's finest. Anyone that is happy with Skywest should compare their payscales to Endeavor. Anyone that is happy at a regional should compare Endeavor to mainline.

If you guys are happy with Skywest and their abysmal pay, I invite you to sell me all your worldly possessions for 1/3 of what they're worth. That's exactly what you are doing with yourself and your time. You are selling it to the company for less than what it's worth. Kids to you guys overwhelmingly voting down that crap package the company tried to sell you. Now build on that momentum and demand the best rates in the industry. You are worth it, aren't you?

zondaracer
07-11-2018, 01:51 PM
Stockholm syndrome? SkyWest isnít keeping the pilots against their will.

Excargodog
07-11-2018, 02:26 PM
You obviously haven't tried mesa. Give that a whirl and report back to us.

Saying, "Well, at least we are still better than Mesa, is sort of like saying that MREs taste better than goats tongue or eyeballs."

While entirely true (been there, done, that, got the t-shirt), it's scarcely what anyone would call an OVERWHELMING endorsement.

:p

Green Needles
07-11-2018, 03:08 PM
Stockholm syndrome? SkyWest isnít keeping the pilots against their will.

Stockholm syndrome is well documented in victims of abusive relationships. You guys are the ones choosing to stay in it and I hear plenty who sympathize with/defend Skywest.

rickair7777
07-11-2018, 08:15 PM
Saying, "Well, at least we are still better than Mesa, is sort of like saying that MREs taste better than goats tongue or eyeballs."

While entirely true (been there, done, that, got the t-shirt), it's scarcely what anyone would call an OVERWHELMING endorsement.

:p

No it's not. But OO is still not YV. BTDT, got both tee shirts. And the goat parts vs. MRE tee shirt too. Actually I'll eat the goat if it's been nothing but MREs for a while.

Fixnem2Flyinem
07-11-2018, 09:07 PM
No it's not. But OO is still not YV. BTDT, got both tee shirts. And the goat parts vs. MRE tee shirt too. Actually I'll eat the goat if it's been nothing but MREs for a while.

Although money isnít the only variable when looking at where to go, with the bonuses and new pay rates Mesa seems to be better than OO in that category atm.... Just sayin. You said you were at SkyWest for a while right? So that means you must have been at YV prior to that. Probably not the same airline it is today, just like SkyWest isnít the same airline it was when you first started.

NewGuy01
07-11-2018, 10:31 PM

I left SKYW in April. I was able to hold a line in SFO after about a year at SKYW. It took me 3 months after training was completed to hold SFO and move out from ORD. At that time SFO had 106 FOs. By the time I left it was 94 FOs and there was a 6 month wait. I hear itís down to 84 FOs now and the wait time is extremely long. Captain upgrade at SFO was about 5 years. I was on the 175.

I know SEA was shrinking on the CRJ side. SFO shrunk by 20% during my short stay. I donít have access to SWOL but it seems misleading to say weeks or months to hold the ďbest coastĒ.

To be fair I enjoyed my time at SkyWest. I started at SKYW with over 10 years of corporate flying and quite a bit of PIC. SkyWest was overall a good thing for me because I was able to transition to a major much faster than if I had continued to fly a large cabin biz jet part 91.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickair7777
07-12-2018, 04:46 AM
Although money isnít the only variable when looking at where to go, with the bonuses and new pay rates Mesa seems to be better than OO in that category atm.... Just sayin. You said you were at SkyWest for a while right? So that means you must have been at YV prior to that. Probably not the same airline it is today, just like SkyWest isnít the same airline it was when you first started.

I understand YV has improved. But as long as OJ is still at the helm, it would be fundamentally impossible to remove the toxicity and lack of basic dignity.

nutellacookies
07-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Random question here, but does anyone know when new hires receive their seniority number?

MadDog80
07-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Random question here, but does anyone know when new hires receive their seniority number?

First day of INDOC

nutellacookies
07-13-2018, 03:28 PM
Thank you!

amcnd
07-13-2018, 07:40 PM
Whatís it like here?

The people are the best, ya there are individual aholes like any where. The overall group is rather spineless which is indicative of the Utah persona, not enough time to cover that one.

The equipment overall is pretty good, ya every now then you get a turkey like anywhere else. But when that happens......

Dispatch, there job is nothing short at fly at all costs, MX, Wx, doesnít matter. Sadly you canít trust them.

Training, at one time was most likely the industryís best, even from guys that went to the legacyís said our training was damn good. Now the ground is a big portion self taught with terrible CBTs and minimal ground taught by new FOs that want to stay home in Utah.
Sim is still good just be ready to take a career decision check ride until 2am or start at 4am.
IOE is being done by mostly new LCAs with lots of training failures and failed check rides. IOE is to be done by 50 hours, average is running around 65 hours which is a training failure, i.e. PRIA. Still double bunking people, even if you want to pay for a separate room itís sometimes hard to get one.

Pay, if itís any secret that we are probably the lowest, well then apply online.

Management, is fully stocked with the industryís top Rhode Scholars and filled with Ivy League geniuses. They have completely carried this airline to its top rung placement within this industry. In fact if were not for the rubbish employees it would be the place where they print there own money. The only reason this place is where it is because of the mental strong hold of management. If youíre not sure, just ask them. They are so smart that nobody in Flight Ops management, nobody, flys a real plane.
Management via cubicles.

Employer of choice

you canít become a LCA with training failures....( presiding 24months I believe) and if you fail a check ride you will loose uour LCA letter.. Other then that the above is pretty accurate..

Dmaxvelo18
07-14-2018, 10:46 AM
Does SkyWest offer any form of lodging for commuters? Like commuter hotels?

amcnd
07-14-2018, 11:02 AM
Does SkyWest offer any form of lodging for commuters? Like commuter hotels?

Nope. Weíre the employer of choice.... according to the company..

Simpsons
07-14-2018, 11:37 AM
Of course that video is a little over the top but it’s far closer to accurately portraying what being a flight crew at SkyWest is like than this forum is

domino
07-15-2018, 08:19 PM
Of course that video is a little over the top but itís far closer to accurately portraying what being a flight crew at SkyWest is like than this forum is

Not my experience. Complete opposite. All my buddies here are trying to escape here ASAP to get some QOL back and get more than 8-10 days off a month

zondaracer
07-16-2018, 04:36 AM
Not my experience. Complete opposite. All my buddies here are trying to escape here ASAP to get some QOL back and get more than 8-10 days off a month

8-10 days? The majority of my friends are getting 13-15 now. If youíre getting 8 off then itís self inflicted.

rickair7777
07-16-2018, 06:35 AM

I hope they're escaping to a major, everybody should be trying to do that anyway.

If you really want to "escape" via a lateral move to another regional, it shouldn't be very hard :confused:

Skyguy85
09-20-2018, 07:40 AM
Would a benefit of Skywest be lots of flying and fast upgrade? I want to get to the majors as fast as possible.

amcnd
09-20-2018, 08:29 AM
Would a benefit of Skywest be lots of flying and fast upgrade? I want to get to the majors as fast as possible.

CRJ = yes..

Skyguy85
09-20-2018, 11:12 AM
CRJ = yes..

Crjs fly more?

amcnd
09-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Right now yes.. more attrition on that side, less staffing, ect.. more to pick up..

New Vacancy report just out.. DTW/DFW/ORD is most the openings for the CRJ. SLC/SAN for the ERJ.

threeighteen
09-20-2018, 11:41 AM
Crjs fly more?

You can fly up to FAR 117 limits on the CRJ if you play the game right. 1000 hrs in 10-12 months is completely doable as a first year line-holder.

Westcoastpilot5
09-20-2018, 10:34 PM
Right now yes.. more attrition on that side, less staffing, ect.. more to pick up..

New Vacancy report just out.. DTW/DFW/ORD is most the openings for the CRJ. SLC/SAN for the ERJ.

Would a new hire FO be able to hold that on an initial bid out of training (assuming that the bid occurs this month)? Or is that just openings that FOís out of LGA, ORD, etc.... will swoop up?

majorpilot
09-21-2018, 08:54 PM
You can fly up to FAR 117 limits on the CRJ if you play the game right. 1000 hrs in 10-12 months is completely doable as a first year line-holder.

What you wrote is my goal. Care to share how to Ēplay the game rightĒ please?

amcnd
09-22-2018, 04:44 AM
What you wrote is my goal. Care to share how to Ēplay the game rightĒ please?

Set up text alerts for open time/drops ect.. be on what we call Skedplus all the time.. It looks like a calendar with all the trips posted you and even ho to other basses and pick up trips...

threeighteen
09-22-2018, 07:20 AM
What you wrote is my goal. Care to share how to ”play the game right” please?

Stay in the domicile that will give you the highest possible bidding seniority (ORD, MSP, or COS on the CRJ). Bid the most efficient trips and pick up the most efficient trips possible on your days off (usually efficient locals if you can find them).

majorpilot
09-22-2018, 07:35 AM
Thanks threeighteen and amcnd for the tips. Iím already trying to futz around sked+ and learn it a bit. Understand one cannot pick up available trips while Iím on reserve so will have to work days off to get time if Iím sitting. Appreciate the advice. Thanks and hope to see you on the line.

seven6
09-22-2018, 11:02 AM
How long can one expect to sit reserve on the CRJ if based at ORD?

threeighteen
09-22-2018, 12:42 PM
How long can one expect to sit reserve on the CRJ if based at ORD?

typically no longer than one month, but ebbs and flows.

Skyguy85
09-23-2018, 04:45 AM
Stay in the domicile that will give you the highest possible bidding seniority (ORD, MSP, or COS on the CRJ). Bid the most efficient trips and pick up the most efficient trips possible on your days off (usually efficient locals if you can find them).

Are these always the busiest bases or does it change? I guess a better question is when putting in for a base after training how does one know which base to bid for shortest reserve since there is an ebb and flow.

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1