Airline Pilot Forums

Airline Pilot Forums was designed to be a community where working airline pilots can share ideas and information about the aviation field. In the forum you will find information about major and regional airline carriers, career training, interview and job seeker help, finance, and living the airline pilot lifestyle.

View Full Version : Crew wifi use

NK Bumble Bee
07-06-2018, 05:44 PM
With spirit joining the 20th century and getting on board wifi wondering what other airlines do with crew usage? Own ship on charts? Releases? Weather and notams? Chat with dispatch or maintenance? Any tips for personal use of wifi during non critical phase of flight...asking for a friend...

Softpayman
07-06-2018, 05:48 PM
With spirit joining the 20th century and getting on board wifi wondering what other airlines do with crew usage? Own ship on charts? Releases? Weather and notams? Chat with dispatch or maintenance? Any tips for personal use of wifi during non critical phase of flight...asking for a friend...

JetBlue uses own ship on charts...Weather we have subscription to WSI which we use en route quite a bit and has notams.

RJSAviator76
07-06-2018, 05:50 PM
At Southwest, we use own ship, WSI and a backup for PWB.

Firsttimeflyer
07-06-2018, 08:00 PM
At delta guys do their bidding and miss the airport by 100 miles or so! :eek:

There’s your tip.

John Carr
07-06-2018, 08:14 PM
At delta guys have a heated discussion over the company’s new bidding software and miss the airport by 100 miles or so! :eek:

There’s your tip.

Works great, last a long time.

m3113n1a1
07-06-2018, 09:29 PM
Delta has an app for forecasting turbulence we can access on our EFBs. Only shows light chop.

captjns
07-07-2018, 03:21 AM
DAL has a custom design app that provides wind checks on final.

Han Solo
07-07-2018, 03:59 AM

pr0n, same as everybody else.

jcountry
07-07-2018, 05:42 AM
I would never use any WiFi for personal use while flying in any pilot position.

The exception would be on a DHD or if flying on an augmented crew and taking your break.

You don’t want the kind of trouble which would come from a post-incident investigation. (Wouldn’t even need to be a major incident. A blown tire can trigger this kind of snooping. And snoop they will.)

EMBFlyer
07-07-2018, 07:14 AM
AA has a special partition of the wifi for the cockpit. It only allows access to WSI in flight, but also allows for own ship position on the charts in flight. On the ground, we use cellular data for electronic flight plans and initial WSI downloads.

On the airplanes being fitting with the satellite broadband, we have to turn off wifi in order to get the cellular data to work.

Qotsaautopilot
07-07-2018, 07:48 AM
Pretty amazing everyone has some sort of weather package like wsi. At Spirit we get a printed black and white prog chart and textual convective sigmets drawing boxes between VORs I’ve never heard of.

rickair7777
07-07-2018, 07:51 AM
I would never use any WiFi for personal use while flying in any pilot position.

The exception would be on a DHD or if flying on an augmented crew and taking your break.

You don’t want the kind of trouble which would come from a post-incident investigation. (Wouldn’t even need to be a major incident. A blown tire can trigger this kind of snooping. And snoop they will.)

This. In addition to FOM/GOM/SOP/FARs, there's a federal statute which specifically forbids unauthorized use of PEDs. You can use authorized devices (ie EFB), and specifically authorized apps, but not facebook, or even company apps which are not authorized in the FOM/GOM (ie PBS). This law came about due the MSP incident.

Also, own-ship on a portable (class 1) EFB does not come from wifi, it comes from GPS which can usually be accessed directly from the satellite through the cockpit window.

Tony Clifton
07-07-2018, 08:15 AM
Ownship on Jeppview doesn’t require wifi. (Rickair beat me to it)

My current 121 Employer doesn’t have wifi (the “customers” in back would never use it). I certainly got spoiled during my corporate pilot stint with having a barrage of weather info available on our wifi equipped aircraft. Once you’ve had real time weather overlaid on your route on Foreflight you feel blind flying without it.

Sending an ACARS message to ask a dispatcher about a line of weather 300 miles down the road and waiting for a reply (“it looks like it’s breaking up along your route”) feels akin to sending up smoke signals in this day and age. I doubt we will see wifi at my current job anytime soon so we make do the old fashioned way - but at least we aren’t hauling 50 lbs of paper like we did in my previous 121 life so there is that. Live XM weather overlaid on your route wouldn’t require WIFI and would be much cheaper than wifi - so maybe we might have that someday.

EMBFlyer
07-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Reading these responses, I guess we're lucky to have access to WSI inflight. It's great to get a clearer picture of what's ahead. In fact, we used it to make the decision to divert a couple of months back. A line of weather was headed for DFW. Everyone was holding. We pulled up WSI and saw a line of 4 or 5 cells one after another headed toward the airport. We knew we weren't going in any time soon, so we made the call to get out of there and were the second jet on the ground at our diversion airport. They had us turned in 35 minutes and we were in the air by the time the weather cleared out (and before we timed out).

StartngOvr
07-07-2018, 05:19 PM
Pretty amazing everyone has some sort of weather package like wsi. At Spirit we get a printed black and white prog chart and textual convective sigmets drawing boxes between VORs I’ve never heard of.

Sounds like Spirit bought the Bare Fare weather package thinking they were getting full color charts and all. I'll bet they didn't like getting nickel and dimed for the extras after they bought it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Qotsaautopilot
07-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Sounds like Spirit bought the Bare Fare weather package thinking they were getting full color charts and all. I'll bet they didn't like getting nickel and dimed for the extras after they bought it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think they knew exactly what they were buying and felt they got a good value because it satisfied their requirements and was cheap

galleycafe
07-07-2018, 05:28 PM
You mean the weather package containing TAFs and METARs?

Yeah. That's pretty much it.

Love the ACARs as I'm staring at a line 80 miles out :

Look out for that weather! Hugs and kisses from Dispatch.

I'll sip on my Dunkin and ponder my next move.

Plane Coffee

flensr
07-07-2018, 07:56 PM
At least spirit planes mostly have decent radar... 2 days in a row I had to penetrate TS lines without useful radar in a steampunk 737. First time I had the benefit of 30 min old WSI radar data, second time wifi was out so it was mk-1 eyeball and follow-the-TCAS-leader. Not fun, felt like descending to 5k, cancelling IFR, and diverting someplace with good BBQ per USAF Texas training standards :)

sailingfun
07-08-2018, 06:19 AM
At least spirit planes mostly have decent radar... 2 days in a row I had to penetrate TS lines without useful radar in a steampunk 737. First time I had the benefit of 30 min old WSI radar data, second time wifi was out so it was mk-1 eyeball and follow-the-TCAS-leader. Not fun, felt like descending to 5k, cancelling IFR, and diverting someplace with good BBQ per USAF Texas training standards :)

If you did not have working radar dispatch into known thunderstorms would be illegal.

captjns
07-08-2018, 01:27 PM

Does your carrier operate solely in AK, or HI??? did you file an ASAP report?;)

CFR 121.357 Airborne weather radar equipment requirements.

(a) No person may operate any transport category airplane (except C-46 type airplanes) or a nontransport category airplane certificated after December 31, 1964, unless approved airborne weather radar equipment has been installed in the airplane.

(b) [Reserved]

(c) Each person operating an airplane required to have approved airborne weather radar equipment installed shall, when using it under this part, operate it in accordance with the following:

(1) Dispatch. No person may dispatch an airplane (or begin the flight of an airplane in the case of a certificate holder, that does not use a dispatch system) under IFR or night VFR conditions when current weather reports indicate that thunderstorms, or other potentially hazardous weather conditions that can be detected with airborne weather radar, may reasonably be expected along the route to be flown, unless the airborne weather radar equipment is in satisfactory operating condition.

(2) If the airborne weather radar becomes inoperative en route, the airplane must be operated in accordance with the approved instructions and procedures specified in the operations manual for such an event.

(d) This section does not apply to airplanes used solely within the State of Hawaii or within the State of Alaska and that part of Canada west of longitude 130 degrees W, between latitude 70 degrees N, and latitude 53 degrees N, or during any training, test, or ferry flight.

(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, an alternate electrical power supply is not required for airborne weather radar equipment.

rickair7777
07-08-2018, 09:03 PM
I think he was saying he has installed radar per the regs, but it sucks.

flensr
07-08-2018, 11:38 PM
If you did not have working radar dispatch into known thunderstorms would be illegal.

Funny how you don't know the radar is crap until you get to the line of TS and the radar is still painting only ground returns. Safe to proceed? Yea, otherwise we would have turned around. But it was a lot of additional coordination.

Plus, it must have been working sorta technically... It lit up all sorts of colors when we pointed it down at the ground :)

PA18
07-09-2018, 12:32 AM

Hilarious, Nice touch.

pilotpayne
07-14-2018, 07:16 PM

It obviously does not work.

cornbeef007
07-16-2018, 07:02 AM

..thanks for the enlightening info Sailing. I’m sure your an easy guy to drink a beer with but your comment is general knowledge.

tomgoodman
07-16-2018, 08:06 AM

Well, not exactly. It tracks the number of radio calls, because we are paid a small bonus for each transmission. At the end of the month we receive a payment, which is called the “wind check”. :D

fireman0174
07-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Any tips for personal use of wifi during non critical phase of flight...asking for a friend...
PART 121—OPERATING
REQUIREMENTS: DOMESTIC, FLAG,
AND SUPPLEMENTAL OPERATIONS
■ 1. The authority citation for part 121
is revised to read as follows:

§ 121.542 Flight crewmember duties.
(d) During all flight time as defined in
14 CFR 1.1, no flight crewmember may
use, nor may any pilot in command
permit the use of, a personal wireless
communications device (as defined in
49 U.S.C. 44732(d)) or laptop computer